AFLW Autopsy Swans vs Geelong Sunday 6th Oct Henson Park @ 3:05PM

Remove this Banner Ad

A season of largely close losses. Don't like targeting individuals but Lochland lost this for us. As a senior player to have missed from where she did is unforgivable. She has been awful this year and contributed nothing. Give one of the young girls a go because they sure as hell couldn't have done any worse.

Umps will make sure of it
Allowing 30 seconds to take a shot from the 50m line. **** off. Ella Heads is perhaps the best kick on the field today and she wouldn't make it from 50 with the wind in her back. Absolute amateur hour from the umpire.

Two things really stood out to me:
1) Geelong taller and much better marking the ball.
2) Geelong cleaner below the knees and able to knock it clear of congestion to a teammate or handpass it.
Our grit and tackling kept us in it. But our fumbles killed us.
Some of our girls are bloody heroic but we need more height and more skills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Two things really stood out to me:
1) Geelong taller and much better marking the ball.
2) Geelong cleaner below the knees and able to knock it clear of congestion to a teammate or handpass it.
Our grit and tackling kept us in it. But our fumbles killed us.
Some of our girls are bloody heroic but we need more height and more skills.
What the hell is going on with our marking - its been shizen all year.

Agree we need more height, its becoming very obvious against some teams.

What the hell is going on with our marking - its been shizen all year.

Agree we need more height, its becoming very obvious against some teams.
A lack of height doesn’t explain how poor our marking has been. A lot of the time our players don’t even shape to mark, or watch the ball. Or try to spoil. They just stand and watch their opponent mark.

A lack of height doesn’t explain how poor our marking has been. A lot of the time our players don’t even shape to mark, or watch the ball. Or try to spoil. They just stand and watch their opponent mark.
Yep, its driving me nuts. Our inability to retain possession as we attempt to move it down the field is a frustrating experience that's for sure.

Just don't really understand why we are playing Hamilton, Hurley and Cooper all 4th midfielder minutes. Hurley has been BOG in the last month get her in the guts where she does best. Like play players in their actual position and it will solve half the problem. Like have we actually played a proper winger all year or has it been on ballers resting out there and half backs that get lost when they don't touch the footy (e.g. Heads)

Just don't really understand why we are playing Hamilton, Hurley and Cooper all 4th midfielder minutes. Hurley has been BOG in the last month get her in the guts where she does best. Like play players in their actual position and it will solve half the problem. Like have we actually played a proper winger all year or has it been on ballers resting out there and half backs that get lost when they don't touch the footy (e.g. Heads)
I don't see anything wrong with Gowans trying a few different things out and playing players in a variety of positions. This season is about learning, developing and trying to be competitive rather than winning games. We're without too many of our top-liners and have already dropped too many points (and with fixtures against a couple of heavy weight teams to come).

Hurley's played almost totally as an onballer this year. If playing her forward for parts of yesterday was about giving her a slight rest in the condensed sequence of games, that seems fair enough. And maybe it was about seeing whether she could bring a bit of class to the forward line. She was back in the middle in the final quarter when the game was suddenly winnable.

Hamilton's been largely stuck in the forward line for her short career with us so far. Why not give her an occasional run in the middle to see if she's another option. She has a bit more bulk and aggro than the likes of Gardiner and Hurley so could be a useful option to complement them there in the medium term.

Gowans has said he thinks Heads is a natural winger. I remain to be convinced, but he knows far more about her attributes and those that make a good AFLW winger than I do. I have no problem with him testing his theory.

Last edited:
I don't see anything wrong with Gowans trying a few different things out and playing players in a variety of positions. This season is about learning, developing and trying to be competitive rather than win games. We're without too many of our top-liners and have already dropped too many points (and with fixtures against a couple of heavy weight teams to come).

Hurley's played almost totally as an onballer this year. If playing her forward for parts of yesterday was about giving her a slight rest in the condensed sequence of games, that seems fair enough. And maybe it was about seeing whether she could bring a bit of class to the forward line. She was back in the middle in the final quarter when the game was suddenly winnable.

Hamilton's been largely stuck in the forward line for her short career with us so far. Why not give her an occasional run in the middle to see if she's another option. She has a bit more bulk and aggro than the likes of Gardiner and Hurley so could be a useful option to complement them there in the medium term.

Gowans has said he thinks Heads is a natural winger. I remain to be convinced, but he knows far more about her attributes and those that make a good AFLW winger than I do. I have no problem with him testing his theory.
Currently as shown in the screen shots she is playing out of the midfield a majority of the time as they run with Gardiner and Kennedy (rightfully).

But Hurley Hamilton and Cooper are all playing equally on ball. Heads isn't a winger and she is the best ball user at the Swans so you don't have her as the only player on the ground to not have a disposal deep into the second quarter as it was on the weekend.

Just because its a year of development doesn't mean that you should just half arse the development of players. Get Hurley fully on ball, get Cooper's game time back up to 80%. Get Heads back to her best position which was distributing the ball from down back

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 5.57.44 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 5.57.44 PM.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 5.58.23 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-10-07 at 5.58.23 PM.png
    35.2 KB · Views: 0

Remove this Banner Ad

AFLW Autopsy Swans vs Geelong Sunday 6th Oct Henson Park @ 3:05PM

Remove this Banner Ad

Back