Opinion Swap Carlisle & Hurley

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 9, 2007
Awareness
AFL Club
Essendon
The thing most people forget is that Hurley, unlike Carlisle, can actually structure a forward line, he knows how to tap to advantage, help out the 2nd man crumbing, pass it off to the right places at the right time and make the most of his presence.

That's what Hurley has, presence. That's what our forward line's been missing V St Kilda, and as of recently.

And not only that, but his body is a forward's type of body. He can stick it out with the bigger bodies when it comes to getting in front. He knows how to win the ball for himself.

Carlisle on the other hand, like Daniher, is still a bean-pole, the type of players that like to keep to themselves, occasionally popping in, text-book spoiling and getting into space for another play, until the ball is killed. That's a defender's slate.

Some say Hurley "looks comfortable" down back, but I honestly believe it's made him lazier. Maybe Hurley just looks more comfortable because he knows he can just get lazier and lazier and no one points the finger. It's an arm-chair ride position.

Get Hurley up front, put the onus on him to go back to his hungry, bull-like self and contest as he used to, and create a presence and a structure in the forward line. Bring Carlisle back and let him do what he loves, plucking it and spoiling it from opposition kicks whilst roaming from behind.

We tried it this way, and it isn't working. Wake up and change it for the betterment of the long run.

Yeah I don't mind the thought of Hooker up forward.. anything but Carlisle.. he is fair dinkum shocking up there.. and looks very unhappy playing forward.. I really don't think he enjoys the role at all.

Hurley's issue is that he can't mark. But Carlisle apparently can't mark up forward either so I'd be okay with the switch even though I've been strongly in favour of Hurley back Carlisle forward for ages. We badly need to recruit another key forward so we can play both in defence.
Keep on telling you boys/girls Hooker should be tried forward.
Might as well. He took about 3 marks inside 50 in his five minutes there, whereas Daniher and Carlisle took 0 for the match.

this would probably be an opportune time to point out that Jake has played less than 10 full games as a forward at AFL level.

Ambrose has been in the system 6 months and has almost as much AFL experience at the position. We have to give this time.

And no, the answer is not to put Hooker forward

How much time do we have to persist with something that seems to be damaging Carlisle.. to the point where perhaps his career stalls.. yes that is serious.

Carlisle looks a shadow of the man that was stalking the back half last year.. looks lost, disinterested and flat.. barely gets a fist up for goals either..

No to Hooker up forward, he is our best defender, just because he took a couple of marks up forward in junk time doesn't mean he will do it week in week out. Hurley up forward please, at least he can crash a pack if he doesn't mark.

How much time do we have to persist with something that seems to be damaging Carlisle.. to the point where perhaps his career stalls.. yes that is serious.

Carlisle looks a shadow of the man that was stalking the back half last year.. looks lost, disinterested and flat.. barely gets a fist up for goals either..

He was touted as a potential AA full back last year, now he is running around looking like he has no idea and if keeps having as little impact as that won't deserve his spot in the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Settle Hooksy and Carlisle back again, I think Carlisle is clearly our most promising young player, settle him in his preferred spot and Hurley plays where he is needed

Agree, Jake and Hooksy are our best two key defenders, if Hurley isn't good enough to play forward then he doesn't play

We gave Hurley all the time in the world to solidify himself as our key, lead-up forward and it didn't work. He is much better down back and Roo would've given anyone a bath tonight so it matters not. He is in career-best form and will give plenty of others a lesson this year.

Was calling for Carlisle on Riewoldt from about quarter time. Hurley can't run with Riewoldt and isn't as tall or strong. Hooker wouldn't be able to run with him either. Carlisle was the logical choice. I cannot believe it took so long for the change to happen. The game was gone when we finally pulled the trigger.

this would probably be an opportune time to point out that Jake has played less than 10 full games as a forward at AFL level.

Ambrose has been in the system 6 months and has almost as much AFL experience at the position. We have to give this time.

And no, the answer is not to put Hooker forward

Why is it a bad idea ? Hurley and Carlisle have questionable value as forwards. Melbourne moved J.Frawley forward for the last two weeks and he has looked OK. And you forget that Hooker was a born forward and played most of his first year in the VFL as a forward.

Pretty disappointing that they have to have this discussion again. Wanted it to work. Not looking great. Hurley and Bellchambers forward with Daniher not playing might be the best option forward.

Agree, Jake and Hooksy are our best two key defenders, if Hurley isn't good enough to play forward then he doesn't play

Especially if he doesn't cut that ****ing ponytail off!!!

Anyone wanna chip in for the 5 grand ground invasion fine if I run out Friday with the scissors?

Hooker forward is stupid. He has starred back there, why stuff him around? Plus he has improved his possession so much (albeit a couple of shockers tonight) as he can find safe kicks in the back half to get others to attack. He couldn't do that forward and would have a stack of brain fades.

Hooker forward is stupid. He has starred back there, why stuff him around? Plus he has improved his possession so much (albeit a couple of shockers tonight) as he can find safe kicks in the back half to get others to attack. He couldn't do that forward and would have a stack of brain fades.

Why swap Carlisle and Hurley ? I suppose we can continue to re-invent the wheel.

enough about the ponytail please.

I don't want to have to lump you in with Luke Darcy and Brian Taylor, but I will.

Why is it a bad idea ? Hurley and Carlisle have questionable value as forwards. Melbourne moved J.Frawley forward for the last two weeks and he has looked OK. And you forget that Hooker was a born forward and played most of his first year in the VFL as a forward.

Short answer: Two enormous structural changes don't make a right.

Long answer: because throwing the magnets up in the air and seeing what sticks over and over again isn't always the best thing to do.

Sometimes you actually have to stick to the courage of your convictions and believe that it will eventually get there, and not drop your bundle after a month

**** it, let's just wait until a player becomes our best defender, swap them forward. Then, we wait for someone else to become the best defender, swap them forward for the guy we just sent forward. Let the system repeat.

Good consistency that's going to give us.

**** it, let's just wait until a player becomes our best defender, swap them forward. Then, we wait for someone else to become the best defender, swap them forward for the guy we just sent forward. Let the system repeat.

Good consistency that's going to give us.

I am not asking to swap the best defender. I am asking to swap the second best defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Swap Carlisle & Hurley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back