Review Sydney Swans vs North Melbourne - SCG 1.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait until we play a few games in the dry, that is all I'm saying.
Do you understand how pathetic that sounds? That in a winter sport we should ignore games played in the wet?

Elaborate. Why are you asking that ?

Macca's best asset as a leader is that he has high standards for himself and everyone else. If he is not meeting his own standards how can he possibly demand it from the rest of the group? The problem with his style of leadership is that it only really works when he is playing well himself.

Its not like the wet weather was a surprise, both teams played in it Im not a fan of the wet weather excuse regardless of our cattle. The basics just weren't there. Dunno if it was bad coaching or just simply shit football from professional footballers that all know too well what wet football is about.

Have to agree. I hate weather as an excuse. I'd never use it as such. But I'm also no fan of players and coaches ignoring recurring issues in varying conditions. The 'it was an aberration" line doesnt cut it. If we struggle to adapt then this is an area the entire team must WORK ON not ignore or wish away.

Macca's best asset as a leader is that he has high standards for himself and everyone else. If he is not meeting his own standards how can he possibly demand it from the rest of the group? The problem with his style of leadership is that it only really works when he is playing well himself.[/quote]

Fair point. Have you picked up on something that would say he has lost the players ? The way they are going at the moment would not come down to it as the sole reason I would not think.

again Ill add the most telling stat, 22 smothers to 5 in a wet weather game full of rushed kicks speaks volumes.
Adjusting to new game plan, poor conditions.

For years, Sydney ability to deal with wet weather conditions has been due to their game plan, which took advantage of stoppage footy by getting 8 players to the ball all the same time. Combined with an aggressive contestant attitude they were able to grind out games and endure over their opponents. This has been the case for 10+ years.

Now they have seem to have radically changed their game plan and are adapting to it, so it is not surprising we didnt havent anywhere near the smothers today.

The lack of effort is definitely an issue, but I think people are a little quick to assume it is a 'gutless effort' or that they 'dont care'.

They seem frustrated that the game plan has not come together, that they are out of form and have not found any form, and through this have not gained any momentum in games. All things combined, they are losing their normal 'never give up' attitude during games.

IMO this is out of frustration, not carelessness or indifference.

....again, wait until they play a few dry games in a row, then we can judge their form more accurately.

...again, happy to eat my words if I am wrong.

I still have confidence they will lift.

If you want to ignore that we have never had good skills in the wet then that is ok.

Also ignore that we are no longer playing stoppage footy and getting numbers to the ball then ok.

Wait until we play a few games in the dry, that is all I'm saying.
I had the misfortune (or fortune?) of missing this game due to having the junior team I coach on at the same time (we won by 177).

Just re your comment, do you think we are no longer playing stoppage footy and getting numbers to the footy (and running both ways) by design (new gameplan) or poor execution (talent/fitness/form)?

We had 66 entries inside 50, so without seeing the game, it would appear our execution was extremely poor, as opposed to us not getting enough of the footy. And it appears we did just 'get it forward' as you might in wet game. Did we continue to try and play wet weather footy once the conditions improved? (Poor coaching / leadership?)

We have definitely lost the ability to lock the game down that we used to be able, nor control the momentum and switch like we used to. This leaves us vulnerable when the inevitable momentum switches through a game, as teams can get a run on us swinging the momentum of the game as we have seen against GWS, Collingwood and even a North to a degree by the looks.

Whilst it is concerning, I think it is something we can turn around.

For instance, I think we may have won against Collingwood if Tippett was in, because our bomb style forward in that game would suit Tippett who either marks the footy or brings it to ground in front of him (I think Tippett is more important to us than Franklin). We are certainly down on confidence at the moment so hopefully the boys can turn it around.

It would not surprise me if they were all working towards a new gameplan that hasn't quite worked yet, and that might be a small part due to them being built partially around some players not currently in the team. That does not excuse the coaching staff for not working on a plan B/C though.

We tinkered with out gameplan so that we attack, but do it along the boundary. That is why you had so many inside 50s because if we turned it over or you won the stoppage, we were happy for you to attack from a wide position. Added to with a defensive mindset and our mids pressuring the ball carrier, your entries were not dangerous when you had the footy.
Unlike previous years where we used the corridor and would run and handball, it left us open for your slingshot to hammer us and I believe the addition of Tudor has put a stop to that.
Goodes, Tippet and Reid would make a massive difference even though all 3 wouldnt have made much in todays condition but its hard to see where your form has dropped severely. It might simply be a case of other teams improving and tinkering with their gameplan and you guys not doing enough to stay ahead of the competition.

BS

He lead us to a flag 18 months ago! Was also voted by the coaches association best coach for 2012!

Yes, some decisions the last few games have been poor, but that does not erase the above.

Time will tell.

Franklin is a marketing decision for a Rugby city. Amazing people still dont get this.

Ugh.

Old post below.

All that said, the buddy deal may not improve the swans on-field performances. The chemistry may just not work, but that doesnt mean the other positives from his recruitment wont be worth it.

Only time will tell.

My theory is that a 'rebuild' only leads to another 'rebuild of the rebuild'. You only have to look at Melbourne to see what root and branch 'rebuilds' do. They do not necessarily deliver the results any more than fronting up, tweaking, learning from mistakes and training harder. How much have the Hawks/Cats/Pies changed their game plan over the past 5 years? The Swans do not need to change their game plan so much as work harder to implement the game-plan. The players need to work out how to 'fit' Buddy in, and the Swans need to have other options in front of goal.

But for mine, the problem is not up forward - it is a lack of success in the engine room. Our midfielders have a great reputation but the midfield is not working at the moment. We need to learn how to succeed in spite of pressure. Bombing it long is the result of pressure - it's a defensive strategy to avoid a turn-over, which ironically often results in a turnover. It may be partly about confidence, but the team has to work harder. Some of the guys need to be running additional laps after training, and some need to be dropped to the twos.

I would not be putting money on the grand final, but like Brad Scott, I think the Swans have the potential to beat some really good sides this year, and perhaps unlike Brad Scott, I think the Swans will be playing finals footy in September.

Adjusting to new game plan, poor conditions.

For years, Sydney ability to deal with wet weather conditions has been due to their game plan, which took advantage of stoppage footy by getting 8 players to the ball all the same time. Combined with an aggressive contestant attitude they were able to grind out games and endure over their opponents. This has been the case for 10+ years.

Now they have seem to have radically changed their game plan and are adapting to it, so it is not surprising we didnt havent anywhere near the smothers today.

The lack of effort is definitely an issue, but I think people are a little quick to assume it is a 'gutless effort' or that they 'dont care'.

They seem frustrated that the game plan has not come together, that they are out of form and have not found any form, and through this have not gained any momentum in games. All things combined, they are losing their normal 'never give up' attitude during games.

IMO this is out of frustration, not carelessness or indifference.

....again, wait until they play a few dry games in a row, then we can judge their form more accurately.

...again, happy to eat my words if I am wrong.

I still have confidence they will lift.

No excuse for the smother stat it speaks volumes of the mindset and watching the game it was obvious, North wanted it more.

I have heard about enough of the franklin equals marketing nonsense. I can assure you that the swans would have seen franklin as the best available talent and marketing a distant second.

If we transition to Brisbane with Franklin playing the role jonathon brown the marketing he provides will be seriously useless.
Marketing = Money
Money = Better coaching team and facilities
Better coaching team and facilities = Better on field performance

Add to that the MASSIVE threat GWS and GC pose to Sydney in the next few years, and Buddy's marketability is INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT to Sydney's membership levels and success in the next few years. Especially if Sydney starts to slide, which they inevitably will, Buddy will help keep the attendance figures up as well. The importance of this cannot be stressed enough.

How else do you explain paying so much for what will probably be a 6 year contract? Because as good as he is, he is not worth anywhere near 10 mil for that period.

Even if the on field performance slides (which is quite possible), Buddy brings other positives to the team.

Personally, I dont like the deal. I dont think he suits our team culture. But I see why the Sydney management took the gamble - it is a business decision. I also wouldnt be surprised if it was suggested or supported by the AFL on the quiet.

BUSINESS.

Fair point. Have you picked up on something that would say he has lost the players ? The way they are going at the moment would not come down to it as the sole reason I would not think.
My observations would only be pure speculation.
The team is playing completely unlike the Swans teams we have become accustomed to. It is actually getting worse not better.
It is not possible for a fringe players to influence the team as a leader might. It seems logical to me that the problems lie at the top. I don't think it is the coach, that leaves the leaders.

Yeah, things have to change. Next week's line-up should look something like this imo.

FB: N. Smith, T. Richards, J. Laidler
HB: D. Rampe, H. Grundy, N Malceski
C: J. McVeigh, K. Jack, D. Hannebery
HF: T. Mitchell, L. Franklin, B. McGlynn
FF: T. Nankervis, K. Tippett, R. O'Keefe
F: M. Pyke, J. Kennedy, L. Parker
I/C: S. Biggs, H. Cunningham, C. Bird
SUB: B. Jack

The sub doesn't necessarily need to be Jack, just some youngster. LRT could come in for Rampe for height.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Macca's best asset as a leader is that he has high standards for himself and everyone else. If he is not meeting his own standards how can he possibly demand it from the rest of the group? The problem with his style of leadership is that it only really works when he is playing well himself.
have you ever played...he who throws stones....

Do you understand how pathetic that sounds? That in a winter sport we should ignore games played in the wet?
Again, we've always had poor skills in the wet. I dont know why, we just have. We've dealt with it by playing stoppage footy and getting numbers to the ball. That is no longer our game plan, and we are currently adjusting to it.

IMO we are also down on form. I also do not know why this is, but we are renowned for poor form at the beginning of seasons. Once we find form we will be able to better judge were the team is at. We are far more likely to find form in dry conditions.

So, as I said, wait until we play 4-5 dry games. I think we will find things are not as bad as they seem (believe it or not!).

If you think that is pathetic, then I am fine with that.

Despite our poor performances, I am just a little more hesitant to say Sydney are no longer a good team as so many are sayiny, especially after 4 games, 2 of which were in shocking conditions. I think there are some underliying reasons for our poor form. I am not making excuses.

If I'm wrong I will happily eat my words.

commiserations with the result folks,

just wondering what he hell is going on with Dan Hannebury?
watched him last week with very little impact and likewise today,

last year he was a monster.

is he 100% fit ATM?

commiserations with the result folks,

just wondering what he hell is going on with Dan Hannebury?
watched him last week with very little impact and likewise today,

last year he was a monster.

is he 100% fit ATM?

More attitude. Some have said he may have gotten ahead of himself last season after the grand final win in 2012.

You should enjoy the win, your team were far too good today, you don't want to hang around us right now, trust me.

Tend to agree which makes the loss even more gauling. Which poses the question of what that makes us ?

You don't just turn bad after all this time. There are players not firing who need to get the zest back. That's up to them.

Today was ordinary - but I know we can still compete at very high levels. We still have injuries to two stars and we are simply crap in bog conditions.

They'll turn it around.

I really am not enjoying watching our games with Hanners in it at the moment.
He doesn't belong in our team next week.
If injured, rest him. If not fit, burn him on the track & in the reserves.
He is a lazy arse ATM.
Trade him if he has off field issues. but I'm not appreciating him.

My theory is that a 'rebuild' only leads to another 'rebuild of the rebuild'. You only have to look at Melbourne to see what root and branch 'rebuilds' do. They do not necessarily deliver the results any more than fronting up, tweaking, learning from mistakes and training harder. How much have the Hawks/Cats/Pies changed their game plan over the past 5 years? The Swans do not need to change their game plan so much as work harder to implement the game-plan. The players need to work out how to 'fit' Buddy in, and the Swans need to have other options in front of goal.

But for mine, the problem is not up forward - it is a lack of success in the engine room. Our midfielders have a great reputation but the midfield is not working at the moment. We need to learn how to succeed in spite of pressure. Bombing it long is the result of pressure - it's a defensive strategy to avoid a turn-over, which ironically often results in a turnover. It may be partly about confidence, but the team has to work harder. Some of the guys need to be running additional laps after training, and some need to be dropped to the twos.

I would not be putting money on the grand final, but like Brad Scott, I think the Swans have the potential to beat some really good sides this year, and perhaps unlike Brad Scott, I think the Swans will be playing finals footy in September.
this

I really am not enjoying watching our games with Hanners in it at the moment.
He doesn't belong in our team next week.
If injured, rest him. If not fit, burn him on the track & in the reserves.
He is a lazy arse ATM.
Trade him if he has off field issues. but I'm not appreciating him.
not this

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Sydney Swans vs North Melbourne - SCG 1.10pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Back