Analysis Sydney's 2024 dominance is underrated

Remove this Banner Ad

It's certainly an interesting season as a fan. The week to week dominance is awesome to watch. We're seeing the emergence of incredible young talent (Gulden and Warner) the finally realised potential of Heeney, and the first AA level ruck we've had in decades.

But now anything other than winning the flag is a big disappointment. Even moreso considering we've lost our last three GFs.

It was annoying losing to Richmond at the time, but it's annoying me even more the longer the season has gone on since it's our only loss in 14 games.

Excited about our prospects, but would be pretty deflating to lose another GF. Only two teams that worry me are Brisbane and Bulldogs. Other than that, I'd be confident in beating anyone else.

Brodie Grundy has had such a great impact overall and probably one of the biggest reasons behind our fortunes so far, but still a bit of water to pass under the bridge yet.
The longer this extraordinary Swans run of wins goes on, the more I’m fine with the Richmond loss.

It was the cosmic joke.

The universe reminding us not to be dickheads.

2022 we really weren't ready. We had a lot of young players who were too young to be in the Grand Final.
And I’m heartened by the fact that the current squad is largely the same players. Something like 17 out of the 22.

They won’t have forgotten how shithouse that would have felt and I’m sure it’s already been a big element in the current run of success.

Horse has been building this team for a while and they are well set up to be a dominant side for years. Probably overachieved in 2022 which hurt them a bit.
In 2022 we talked about the Essendon loss being a wake up call.

This group seems to have it's head screwed on and I think the grand final loss will have the same effect.

Richmond this year seems to have been the kick we needed. We haven't looked back since

After Sydney's recent near misses at the flag, it is hard to get too excited until the fat lady sings. Brisbane were a similar case last year, keep your head down, don't invite jinx.

Their key forward line still worries me, could very easily go missing in a granny. If the Swans find themselves drawn into a foiling contest where they are forced to bomb long in hope and rely on their keys, it won't work in such a big game. Logan McDonald in particular has been very disappointing this year, one of their hallowed 2021 opening round debuts, he could be the redeem narrative going into September and do a Tomahawk or Tom Boyd.

Their current side is superb though. So many guys doing selfless jobs out there, Horse has them on a mission. Would like to see a few more four quarter performances in the upper gears from them though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After Sydney's recent near misses at the flag, it is hard to get too excited until the fat lady sings. Brisbane were a similar case last year, keep your head down, don't invite jinx.

Their key forward line still worries me, could very easily go missing in a granny. If the Swans find themselves drawn into a foiling contest where they are forced to bomb long in hope and rely on their keys, it won't work in such a big game. Logan McDonald in particular has been very disappointing this year, one of their hallowed 2021 opening round debuts, he could be the redeem narrative going into September and do a Tomahawk or Tom Boyd.

Their current side is superb though. So many guys doing selfless jobs out there, Horse has them on a mission. Would like to see a few more four quarter performances in the upper gears from them though.
McDonald last night was excellent and seems to be being experimented with as more a Jack of all trades.

With eleven different goalkickers last night and a similar story most of this season, there’s an argument we’re working on a game plan involving key forwards not having to kick bags every week. But I know finals are different. But maybe that’s about to change. Dunno. We’ll all know more soon.

You just don’t want to be that little bit off in a PF or GF.

Yeah, that's true. But to do that, teams would probably have to beat them at the SCG, and that's where my concern lies.

From the remaining teams in Sydney's H&A season, I think Brisbane at the Gabba and Port Adelaide at AO could end up as losses. I know Port Adelaide isn't doing very well right now, but I have to consider their 7-game winning streak over Sydney as something. They might drop a game against one of Fremantle or Bulldogs too at the SCG, but that'll still leave them with a record of 19-4. That'd be enough for the top spot.

I don't know, but this has made the season a lot more interesting. It'll all be about who can catch Sydney off guard at this point IMO.

That happens though re what Adelaide were doing v Sydney. Then they were able to put the foot down in the 3rd as a really good side does.

In terms of sides just blowing everyone away and no one getting remotely close to them in home and away the majority of the time, Essendon 2000, Cats 2008, Saints 09 and Pies 11 as close as I’ve seen to that. Oddly the last 3 lost the GFs of those years.

Going further back to the 80s and 90s, Essendon 85, hawks 88-89 and eagles 91 super dominant. That eagles side of 91 in particular.

As a footnote I didn’t realise Essendon lost 2 of their 3 games in 85 after playing mid week nigh series games.

Sydney approaching that level of dominance but still 9 games to go.

Yes, I agree with the premise of your post. Although, I think those Geelong teams were comparable to the Collingwood and St Kilda teams they beat in the GF. They were almost just as dominant IMO.

But, the Geelong of 2008 is a very good example. They were. slightly off, and Hawthon took full advantage of that.

A lot has to go right to win the Premiership, and Sydney will face the same tests this year as the dominant teams before them.

If we have a good run with injuries remainder of the season I’m very confident we can give the swans a decent shake.

We have continuity of personnel at the moment, basically since after the Sydney game, Sydney have had that all year.

By the logic you need to finish top 4 to win it, I think Pies, Brisbane and GWS still biggest threats.

GWS not at the level currently, Pies still got injury issues and Brisbane coming from a fair way back, but all those sides can give it a shake if fit and firing come finals.

The other wildcard in the mix is the dogs, they have shown they can win a flag and make GFs from outside top 4.

Well they are acknowledged by everyone as the best side year to date and they are three games clear on top.
And it has been possible that they are playing attacking footy due to getting rid of traces of Ross Lyon tactics.

Swans are the only side in the AFL to score more than 100 points per game this season

Interesting thread. For me:

• It is a constant surprise how large the gap is between first and second
  • It is premature to discuss Premierships. We haven’t even qualified for top 4.
  • I think for neutrals we are a decent and probably entertaining club to watch. And this has added interest to the Comp.
  • Mills, Parker and Adams aside we have been fortunate with injury where other teams have been less fortunate, eg Pies, Dees, Giants, Lions
  • None of our few A graders are traditional types and this makes them hard to neutralise. Reckon we have just 3 A Graders - Heeney, Gulden and Blakey.
  • We have plenty of B+ players, inc Grundy, Warner, McInerney Papley, Rowbottom who have unusual attributes.Rowy may end up the greatest tackler the game has produced.
  • We have a strong team orientation and are every fit.

The Bloods are great fun for fans. We were barely rated earlier in the season. (Buckley and Whately famously delivered a preview of the Pies v Bloods game where they did not mention the Swans or a Swans player at all.) Now the Media are foaming - they are not all that happy about it.

Interesting thread. For me:

• It is a constant surprise how large the gap is between first and second
  • It is premature to discuss Premierships. We haven’t even qualified for top 4.
  • I think for neutrals we are a decent and probably entertaining club to watch. And this has added interest to the Comp.
  • Mills, Parker and Adams aside we have been fortunate with injury where other teams have been less fortunate, eg Pies, Dees, Giants, Lions
  • None of our few A graders are traditional types and this makes them hard to neutralise. Reckon we have just 3 A Graders - Heeney, Gulden and Blakey.
  • We have plenty of B+ players, inc Grundy, Warner, McInerney Papley, Rowbottom who have unusual attributes.Rowy may end up the greatest tackler the game has produced.
  • We have a strong team orientation and are every fit.

The Bloods are great fun for fans. We were barely rated earlier in the season. (Buckley and Whately famously delivered a preview of the Pies v Bloods game where they did not mention the Swans or a Swans player at all.) Now the Media are foaming - they are not all that happy about it.

Definitely good to watch this year.

Not yet convinced they'll shoe it in. Anything can happen in finals. They are the most complete side but definitely have a few holes that can be opened up and exploited (as do all teams tbf).
Very very even year this year. Any of 6 teams can win it with luck match ups and form (swans pies blues dons giants lions)

The Crows were 14-2 after 16 rounds in 2006 and had Mark Thompson claiming that we were ‘unbeatable’ after we smashed them at Footy Park. Lost the prelim to West Coast.

They’re obviously the favourite right now, but plenty of footy to go this season.
West Coast were your bogey team around that period, though. You lost to them 3 times that year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back