Sylvia Gets 3 week, Brennan gets 1 week

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder with certain offences whether the the "Good Record" clause should be jettisoned.

A head but that splits a guy open should get you 3-4 weeks regardless of record, and the tribunal/MRP should have that discretion

:thumbsu:

Exactly what I was thinking mate. I've long thought that the good record points reduction and early plea reduction are both bad ideas. They do not decrease the effect of the act at all.

Exactly what I was thinking mate. I've long thought that the good record points reduction and early plea reduction are both bad ideas. They do not decrease the effect of the act at all.

Yes.
I mean if Barry Hall had a clean record, would it make the Staker incident any better?
Should get 8-10 regardless of record for being a gormless twit and for the injury he's deliberately done to another player.

Keep the carried over points. That should be enough incentive to not want a bad record. You'd have hope that "not being a w***er" would be enough incentive but that's probably not true :(

The fact that an incident in play which was an attempt at the ball isn't graded any differently than an incident on the wing before the ball was even bounced, and the fact that pleading guilty changes anything in an off the ball case where it's blatantly obvious what happened. I'm not attacking the decision, I'm attacking the terrible system that allowed it.

But it WAS graded differently. 3 weeks as opposed to 2.

Why are people still struggling with this?

Given the rules, the Brennan penalty is correct and consistent, but that says a lot about the rules.

I think any intentional off the ball striking to the head should be sent straight to the tribunal, without a player being allowed to plead guilty or use their good record.

Just to show i'm not biased, the same should have happened when Cassisi struck that guy earlier in the year. Off the ball, to the head, forget your good record, that's at least a 4 week holiday IMO.

The guilty plea is the biggest load of shit in the system. Yeah let's watch Brennan blatantly headbutt someone, hard enough to draw blood and off the ball, and then ask him if he did it. Hmm, yep, after seeing the footage, Brennan believes he is in fact guilty, let's reward him for his honesty.

WTF!

(Yes the same applies to Hall when his 10 week penalty was reduced to 7 because of a guilty plea)

The guilty plea is the biggest load of shit in the system. Yeah let's watch Brennan blatantly headbutt someone, hard enough to draw blood and off the ball, and then ask him if he did it. Hmm, yep, after seeing the footage, Brennan believes he is in fact guilty, let's reward him for his honesty.

WTF!

(Yes the same applies to Hall when his 10 week penalty was reduced to 7 because of a guilty plea)

You must have a big issue with the legal system as a whole then.

You must have a big issue with the legal system as a whole then.

Not many murders, assaults etc are captured clearly on video.

I agree about your points on Brennan actually getting three weeks, as well as how the headbutt was graded.

However, I don't think factors like 'early pleas' and 'past good behaviour' should result in a discount to the suspension (in this instance, from three weeks to one). In fact, I think not having a good record should only be considered when deciding on a punishment.

Denny Crane

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not many murders, assaults etc are captured clearly on video.

Crimes do not have to be captured on videotape to be proven beyond reasonable doubt. Otherwise there would hardly ever be a "guilty" verdict returned in the courts.

...and if found guilty, there is no reduction in sentence just because the crime wasn't filmed as it happened.

Similarly,I'll think you'll find an AFL player can be found "guilty" of an offence, even in the absence of corroborating video evidence.

Surely your not suggesting that an offender is "more" guilty if the crime is captured on video. :confused:

If so, you are now getting into the realms of "degrees" of guilt.....

Aren't the AFL, MRP supposed to be Thinking of teh CHILDREN!??!1111!1!?
Meh. Stuff that.

Step 1: Make a list of all the 'depth' players on your team who have clean records.

Step 2: Make a list of opposition players you'd prefer to ineffectual.

Step 3: Instruct said depth players to headbutt them as hard as they can.

Step 4: Profit. And your depth back after a weeks rest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sylvia Gets 3 week, Brennan gets 1 week

Remove this Banner Ad

Back