T Bird signed with Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Terry Tan said:
Pelchen may have shafted the Kangaroos last year with Hay, but he got his just deserts this year screwed by the Blues and Sydney.

Well done Blues and Sydney, put the c&nt back in his box. He outsmarted himself, no-one likes the games he plays and other clubs are going to decide not to deal with Hawthorn pretty soon.

Screwed???

We lost nothing out of the Thornton deal, and Everitt well we got more than Brisbane got for Acker, remember Everitt is 32.

I would be more worried about Richmond trading for Pollhack and losing there top 10 pick in the best draft ever. :)

Ouch!!!!!!!!

dipper86 said:
To entice a football player you do have to pay over the market value, or else there is no incentive to leave, we didn't get him and now you are paying over the market value of the player already on your list. Good job Hawthorn.

You forced him, preety simple really. He wants to sign a 3 year deal for security, What happens if he signed a 1 year deal and he did his knee.

Atleast Carlton is paying top dollar for him, because he is not worth 1 mill for 3 years.

Oh but you were the one stating that is exactly what he would do... Oh you have arbitrarily changed your mind?

He is at about market value, that is shown by the fact you were going to pay him what we are paying him. To think a player leaves for a few thousand is wrong.

In all likelyhood his pride was wounded by the Carlton offer and he took it to heart. He is a class full back and I stated from the beginning I was happy for him to be getting this money and that I would prefer keeping him. So we have lost nothing... Your club has however, whether you like it or not Hawthorn were very very keen to obtain his services. Your ******** trade negotiator even used the media to help him with claims they were confident of getting him in the PSD...

Your posts have been wrong on the Thornton subject all week. In your estimation of his worth, on how you would get him, on what we would have to do to keep him... I am fairly sure you have no clues when it comes to Carlton and Bret Thornton...

westbrom said:
IF.. you had got Thornton and played him away from FB it would have been a mistake. That is the position he should and does play at AFL level. I do not at all subsribe to the theory that he would be better elsewhere, he already matches it with the bigger players, he is deceptively strong AND he gets bigger each year

He certainly would have played down on the last line. But i dont think he would have been forced to play on the oppositions number 1 week in week out. Croad, Jacobs and Thornton would have been able to swap around and match up on who they would be best suited too. At Carlton he just gets Number 1 week in week out.

Seagul said:
are u serious. how did we get screwed. we got a 2nd rounder for a player that had no influence for us this year and it will not be around in 2 years time. we didnt get thornton but we didnt loose anything. there gonna loose russel for nothin.

you put all your eggs into the 1 basket - trying to get Thornton and trying to trade Spida for a 1st round pick. None of them came off, and you missed out on doing other deals by wasting so much time.

You got a big fat donut.

dipper86 said:
Screwed???

We lost nothing out of the Thornton deal, and Everitt well we got more than Brisbane got for Acker, remember Everitt is 32.

I would be more worried about Richmond trading for Pollhack and losing there top 10 pick in the best draft ever. :)

Ouch!!!!!!!!

we basically got KPP Polak and 1st round pick 13 for the loss of pick 8. That's not bad going i would say :thumbsu:

Seagul said:
are u serious. how did we get screwed. we got a 2nd rounder for a player that had no influence for us this year and it will not be around in 2 years time. we didnt get thornton but we didnt loose anything. there gonna loose russel for nothin.

Us losing Russel is about as relevant as losing any other player ranked about 30th in a football club. We will make an attempt to re-sign him and in all honesty we are favorites for that to happen. But... If he does go it is no big deal. We were prepared to trade but not be ****ed around in that deal.

For those comparing the Aker deal to the Spider deal as proof they got a good deal... That is clutching to straws...

Leigh obviously gave the directive, go and get something, anything but get him and his wages off the Brisbane books as I am not playing him anymore...

Brisbane took WAY under the odds but did not care. So if you are happy with that.. Good on you

westbrom said:
Heaps of players have asked to be traded only to stay at a club and go on to play out their career there. He had every chance to sign for just one year. Why it was just yesteyday I was reading a number of Hawks fans suggesting this was exactly what was going to happen, now they comfort themselves with their blankets and thoughts that he is not happy ... lmao what jokes

players who ask to get traded to another club have a reason. there not happy where they are! obvioulsy we thought this was gonna happen cos he had no choice, carlton were just gonna re draft him

Terry Tan said:
Pelchen may have shafted the Kangaroos last year with Hay, but he got his just deserts this year screwed by the Blues and Sydney.
The way I understand it we got exactly what we should've for Spider, and nothing happened with Thornton.

Feel free to explain how exactly either of these clubs screwed us over.

Terry Tan said:
you put all your eggs into the 1 basket - trying to get Thornton and trying to trade Spida for a 1st round pick. None of them came off, and you missed out on doing other deals by wasting so much time.

You got a big fat donut.

Every team trys to get better then expected, its called negotiating. we wanted to get 1st round off sydney, they wanted to give only 3rd round. we met in the middle.

your a tool.

OneEyedHawk said:
The way I understand it we got exactly what we should've for Spider, and nothing happened with Thornton.

Feel free to explain how exactly either of these clubs screwed us over.

you screwed yourselves. you wasted so much time trying to get more for Spida, and trying to unsuccessfully get Thornton across, you missed out on doing other possible deals.

that Spida deal could have been done on Monday. you wasted lots of time, stuffed around other clubs who will make you pay next trading period - FOR NO RESULT!!!

Terry Tan said:

You got a big fat donut.
Actually, that was you guys. Complete with 'personal issues' as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

westbrom said:
Us losing Russel is about as relevant as losing any other player ranked about 30th in a football club. We will make an attempt to re-sign him and in all honesty we are favorites for that to happen. But... If he does go it is no big deal. We were prepared to trade but not be ****ed around in that deal.

For those comparing the Aker deal to the Spider deal as proof they got a good deal... That is clutching to straws...

Leigh obviously gave the directive, go and get something, anything but get him and his wages off the Brisbane books as I am not playing him anymore...

Brisbane took WAY under the odds but did not care. So if you are happy with that.. Good on you

well just keep wasting those first round picks.

Simo19 said:
Every team trys to get better then expected, its called negotiating. we wanted to get 1st round off sydney, they wanted to give only 3rd round. we met in the middle.

your a tool.

I suppose trying to trade for Vandenberg, the worst captain in AFL, could have been an option - you may have got an extra 4th rd pick!

westbrom said:
Oh but you were the one stating that is exactly what he would do... Oh you have arbitrarily changed your mind?

He is at about market value, that is shown by the fact you were going to pay him what we are paying him. To think a player leaves for a few thousand is wrong.

Are you stupid, we offered him that amount to come over to Hawthorn which was alot especially for him, you matched it and he still wanted to leave, You had to pay him that amount now to keep the peace.
He is not worth 1 mill over 3 years.

westbrom said:
In all likelyhood his pride was wounded by the Carlton offer and he took it to heart. He is a class full back and I stated from the beginning I was happy for him to be getting this money and that I would prefer keeping him. So we have lost nothing... Your club has however, whether you like it or not Hawthorn were very very keen to obtain his services. Your ******** trade negotiator even used the media to help him with claims they were confident of getting him in the PSD...

Your posts have been wrong on the Thornton subject all week. In your estimation of his worth, on how you would get him, on what we would have to do to keep him... I am fairly sure you have no clues when it comes to Carlton and Bret Thornton...

Really i have been wrong.

Fact 1.

Thornton wanted to go to Hawthorn

Fact 2.

Thornton resigned because he was worried he could not make it to Hawthorn in the PSD, Carlton had cap space and Carlton had said they were willing to use there psd pick 1 on Thornton. His manager even mentioned that in the statement today.

This indeeed is a sad sad day for Carlton , having to force a player to play for there jumper, where is the pride of this once almighty club, they are now the basket case of the AFL. Carlton FC you are the biggest joke

OneEyedHawk said:
Actually, that was you guys. Complete with 'personal issues' as well.

22 yo, no. 4 pick 2000, 94 games, 6'4", 94kg of raw muscle...lets see him snap young Buddy boy in half like a twig next year :D

think of it this way - we gave up pick 8 for pick 13, but we got pick 4 from 2000 with 94 games experience...laughing all the way to the bank fellas :thumbsu:

dipper86 said:
You forced him, preety simple really. He wants to sign a 3 year deal for security, What happens if he signed a 1 year deal and he did his knee.
Nice spin. Hates the place, doesn't want to be there but is prepared to live in hell for 3 years in case he gets injured next year.

Thornton felt unloved plain and simple. The fact that the Blues have demonstrated how loved he is by running the risk of losing him for nothing or giving up their prime PSD pick, probably swung him back again.

If he was forced to sign up again, it would most certainly be for one season and then try again next year as Carlton won't always have the number one PSD pick. He has had a change of heart, plain and simple.

It might not make sense to people that he can change his mind so quickly but then it didn't make sense for a committed team man to suddenly want out so badly either. Appears that T-Bird tends to react to his emotions.

Terry Tan said:
we basically got KPP Polak and 1st round pick 13 for the loss of pick 8. That's not bad going i would say :thumbsu:

Not bad, thats funny. :)

You got yourself a dud kpp in Polak, and you are now outside the top 10 in the best draft ever.
You also lost a 3rd round.

:)

Terry Tan said:
22 yo, no. 4 pick 2000, 94 games, 6'4", 94kg of raw muscle...lets see him snap young Buddy boy in half like a twig next year :D

think of it this way - we gave up pick 8 for pick 13, but we got pick 4 from 2000 with 94 games experience...laughing all the way to the bank fellas :thumbsu:

We are laughing at you, the boke is slow and he is a complete dud, he has to catch buddy first :) you got ripped hard.

:)

Thornton > Polhack.

Terry Tan said:

haha im laughin at u. so wat he went at 4 and if u still think he should have gone at 4 ur a joke. buddy is 10 times a better player than him easy right now and always will be. and by the way buddy will snap him in half

Seagul said:
haha im laughin at u. so wat he went at 4 and if u still think he should have gone at 4 ur a joke. buddy is 10 times a better player than him easy right now and always will be. and by the way buddy will snap him in half

you know nothing about football either. I suppose you think Richie Vandenberg is a gun!

Remove this Banner Ad

T Bird signed with Carlton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back