TAC Cup round 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Humble Minion

Team Captain
Dec 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Only one game in Melb this weekend, Northern vs Danndenong. Both fielding very depleted sides, no Whitfield, Longer, Elton, Mascoulis, Haynes (the Knights one), Rintoul or Buckley (though it wouldn't surprise me if he's been dropped rather than being unavailable).

Low-scoring game, bit of a grind, the first half played in very wet conditions, and while the sun came out later on the ball remained soap-in-the-bath slippery. Neither side could find a functional forward target. Not much in it for most of the game, Rays went into 3/4 time only 9 points down, got one goal quickly, and then had the ball in their half for pretty much the next 20mins solid but only got to within 1 point, then the Knights ran it all the way up the other end on a fast break that ended in a goal to Langford, and that was all she wrote. Very vocal Rays supporters screaming blue murder about the umpiring (with some justification at times imho, particularly in the 2nd qtr) but in the final analysis the Knights just handled the slippery ball much better, fumbled less, and deserved to win. Rays had a bad case of butterfingers all day, and somehow turned even relatively uncomplicated uncontested marks into harrowing ordeals.

Vlastuin bog for mine, just so certain in the wet, one-touch, thinks fast and his hands keep up with him, inside man but can hit a long target when he gets the ball in the open. Liked him a lot.

Maric started with a bang, quick and aggressive, but faded a bit later on.

Totevski good again, as usual. He's always up there, and I always talk about someone else when I write these things. One of those kids you'd be pencilling in as a pretty much certain draftee, maybe 2nd or 3rd rounder, if he was 5-10cm taller.

Bonaddio was stretchered off in the 3rd qtr, though I didn't see what for. Trainers were with him for a long time - didn't look good.

Currie played a good game on Haynes and probably won the contest. Good spoiler, pretty quick, and just too strong for the rather skinny Haynes to shift in a wrestling match, and the slipperiness of the ball it made high-flying and quick-leading marks a lot more difficult, so Haynes wasn't able to use his athletic advantage to get away. Haynes had a reasonable number of shots on goal, but some were from deep in the pocket and some fell drastically short - bad kicking day for him, was visibly frustrated.

Newnes played a good hb/mid running game on a day not really suited to that sort of player. Got a lot of the ball and covered a lot of ground, disposal pretty good. Very much the designated kicker for Northern - hung around behind the pack a lot and his teammates would try to get it to him. One of the better games I've seen him play.

Benbow probably Dandenong's best for mine. There's not much of him, but he played a real captains game. Ran himself into the ground, gut running, generally if the Rays got the ball moving with fluency he was part of it somewhere. Hard when he needed to be, but more a winger. Disposal I think has improved since last year, remains to be seen whether it and his pace can counteract his height disadvantage when it comes to drafting.

Wright another mid who got his hands very very dirty. An underager, but was in absolutely everything. Wasn't exactly eyecatching, more was just around the place all the time, getting it and giving it off in a mostly unspectacular kinda way - now I'm aware of him I'll have to watch him closer next time I see the Rays to get a better idea on what he's about.

Buntine one of the main reasons the Knights could only kick a low score. Played in defense, sort of a hybrid loose man/third tall role, loads of marks off opposition kicks, moved calmly out of traffic, disposed of the ball long and with accuracy. Needed to be made more accountable - was allowed to drift around alone too often.

Tuddenham always looked dangerous. Kinda played a bit like Whitfield lite, which is more a compliment to Whitfield than a slight on Tuddenham. One of the few Rays with clean hands in the wet, enough pace to cause headaches, nice vision and disposal by hand when under pressure. Puts the ball in dangerous places. Underager.

Johnston very solid across halfback, cut off a lot of attacks, linked up well, good pressure work.

Piva Wright a very up and down sort of game. Simply could not catch a ball in the first half, even if someone nailed it to his fingers he'd have found a way to drop the thing. Later in the game the sun came out and he started sticking his marks, and he along with Buntine provided the wall across the middle of the ground that locked the ball in the Rays f50 for most of the final quarter. Got thrown to ff in exchange for Haynes late in the game to try to shake things up a bit, but that was after the Knights had scored their game-breaking goal and it was too little, too late.

Buckley (though it wouldn't surprise me if he's been dropped rather than being unavailable). Nice cheap shot. Do you feel better for it? He has a foot injury and will miss the Nationals.

Bendigo was an absolute shambles yesterday. 17gls to 2 at 3/4 time. Blue and Yellow witches hats. Something has to be done at that club to rectify the same problems year after year.

Sam Kerridge will look forward to playing for Vic Country where he can have some decent support.

Hard to judge any of the Falcons players because of the poor opposition. :(:(:(

Sandy were clearly asleep against Tasmania, not kicking a goal until time on in the third quarter. Biggest blue they made was 'resting' their ruckman.

Were you there FM?

I don't know how much was them being asleep, and how much was the pressure applied by Tas.

Sandy lacked direction, organisation and sound users of the ball.

Tassie on the other hand, were very impressive.

Dobosz continued his rapid improvement with a 6 goal haul, and the midfield of McKenzie, Lonergan, Allison, Riley, Kendall and Smith is quite an impressive unit.

Buckley (though it wouldn't surprise me if he's been dropped rather than being unavailable). Nice cheap shot. Do you feel better for it? He has a foot injury and will miss the Nationals.

Didn't know that and I'm sorry for the kid.

I'm not big on cheap shots. I just haven't been impressed with what I'd seen of his early season form. I call it as I see it, and when I'm wrong (not infrequently) then I'm wrong.

If i didn't think a fit, in-form Buckley was important to the Knights I wouldn't have mentioned him at all.

did anyone see or here about the cannons and qld

See Saw game calder could of put them away early but for some bad disposal led for most of the day full credit to them stuck at it even 2 mins to go they were down but found something
Would be nice to know how many were on school duties

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only one game in Melb this weekend, Northern vs Danndenong. Both fielding very depleted sides, no Whitfield, Longer, Elton, Mascoulis, Haynes (the Knights one), Rintoul or Buckley (though it wouldn't surprise me if he's been dropped rather than being unavailable).

Low-scoring game, bit of a grind,...etc

Checked the stats - Morris from Knights had 36 touches, 23 effective, 8 marks including 2 contested, yet didn't rate a mention?

Checked the stats - Morris from Knights had 36 touches, 23 effective, 8 marks including 2 contested, yet didn't rate a mention?

You see, here's a secret.

Watching the TAC with an eye towards the draft - it's actually a pretty damn hard thing to do if you want to do it well. I'm not even pretending to do it well - I'm not involved with the TAC or AFLVic, I'm not a scout, however informal, for any AFL club - I'm just a regular bloke who enjoys watching the games and enough people seem to be interested in what I have to say about them, that I keep writing the reports.

The main difficulties are to do with the playing lists. At this time of the season these are kids who you at most have seen for a bit over one year (probably half a dozen games or so, in my case) - less for most of them. It's not like the AFL where you've had a decade to get used to blokes and recognise them by their posture, face, the shape of their head or how they run even when they're across the other side of the field and inside a pack.

You're trying to watch 44 blokes play, both off the ball work and on, when half the time you're still wondering who the kid with the ball is and hoping he turns around so you can see his number. You're trying to judge all three forwards going up for a mark in the forward line, plus all three defenders trying to stop them, and all the crumbers getting into position at the bottom of the pack and the disposal of the bloke who kicked the ball, and you're trying to do all of that with guys you've generally only seen play two or three times and can't automatically recognise.

What I (and even some of those real recruiters I've talked to) do is focus. If a player comes into the game with a reputation, you tend to keep an eye on him. Same if he does something really eyecatching - you watch him for the rest of the game, or if he's got a distinctive haircut or something and you can't help noticing him. It's simply impossible to watch everyone, and sadly, due to the nature of things, for me at least it tends to be the hardworking, unassuming guys who do a lot of inside work and accumulate solid touches that tend to pass by unnoticed.

(This is not just a TAC-watching phenomenon, of course. It happens in the AFL too, even when we've got tv coverage with closeups and replays, commentary, expert opinion coming out of our ears. Certain player types just don't get noticed as much as others. Defenders and midfield workhorses. To take an Essendon example, Hocking, Howlett and Hooker are all in our top 6 for disposals. But none of these players figure in the top 5 of the Nobby Clarke medal voting on Bomberblitz, or (as far as I can tell) on the Bigfooty MVP award voting on the Essendon board here.)

As the season progresses, you learn to recognise players more easily, and you get the chance to check out stats sheets and make a note to yourself to keep an eye on blokes who are getting the pill a lot without you paying attention to them. Morris is one of these for me (there are others). I did notice the #10 around a bit, but my attention was drawn in too many other directions so I didn't really make an attempt to actually evaluate the quality of his game, his strengths and weaknesses etc. I hate writing player evaluations that say stuff like 'I noticed X getting possessions in the midfield' since it's so bloody useless. The kid deserves a mention, true, but he also deserves a mention that at least has some actual thought and observation behind it, rather than jsut being a shout-out.

Like i said, it's a pretty hard thing to do well, especially if like me you don't have access to the game DVDs and have to go 100% off first impressions. But i'm working on it! ;) Hopefully quality will improve later in the year when I've seen more of the kids and can recognise them more easily...

Geepers....well said HM.

I haven't seen a stack of Northern this year, but Dougie Morris has certainly shown the way as the captain of the Knights. He's had 20 possessions or more in all seven games this year, and in five of them has had more than 30 touches. He'd be a mile ahead in their B&F.

Sheer work rate (which is aided by his ability to do a 15+ beep) and a physically developed body are the reasons he's getting high numbers. He's getting everything out of himself, and I admire that. Yet I can see exactly where HM is coming from. When you watch a game looking for eye catching moments, Doug doesn't provide many. He's not quick, and his kick is average. If the conditions were wet last Saturday, he'd have had a picnic.

Wasn't really intending to criticise, just thought that such a dominant display might have been noticed by someone at the game...thanks for the lengthy response though. :thumbsu:

Better players for Murray ???

What is listed on TAC cup website very accurate, I would add Jake Reeves phenomenal in ruck at 194cm. Another solid performance all round, probably down a tad overall from previous week against NSW. Again six bottom agers with another four ill or injured who would probably been playing.

Wasn't really intending to criticise, just thought that such a dominant display might have been noticed by someone at the game...thanks for the lengthy response though. :thumbsu:

Didn't take it as a criticism - it was a perfectly reasonable question. It just happened to need a lot of words to answer properly!

I suppose pretty much all match reviews anyone writes are subjective and influenced by personal quirks of the author, really. Always worth remembering this when reading something like the TAC/draft board, especially later in the year when an awful lot of argument and opinion is based around quite a small amount of actual first-hand reporting...

HM that was a good read and I share many of your thoughts and frustrations when watching junior footy and trying to capture everything that each player does in a game and assess it........its nigh impossible and hence why you do end up looking at specific players - rightly or wrongly.

As far as I can tell from the blokes i know / talk to they place great emphasis on the kids draftable attributes, ability to develop their game, athletic ability (ie testing), performances (emphasis on big games - eg Champs / Finals etc), personal history, ability to fit into a culture and contribute to it. Their are a heap of things but they are all pretty prominent.

FWIW (and it probably doesnt surprise many of you) it was rammed home to me how differently the recruiters watch these games as opposed to maybe how we do. A few years ago a recruiter I was standing with at a game noticed a player who hadnt got much of the footy all day and wasnt particularly prominent through the champs did a couple of what he thought were really special things when the game was there to be won. I made a mental note of that player bc the recruiter was really excited about him which I was thought was odd bc I didnt think it was that special and the kid hadnt done much else all day. Sure enough come draft time he was a late ND selection for that same club as the recruiter was from. I mean I didnt see more than 4-5 games which that player was involved for the year but I remember thinking he wasnt that great so maybe I missed something but I think it was pretty reasonable to assume he was picked for his ability to do some special things. I think the rookie draft selections these days are largely full of kids who havent done a heap but have shown 'potential'.

As an aside, having seen some of the dosiers on these kids you would be amazed the level of research the clubs do on them. I mean I was just gobsmacked when shown a few of them last year.

Geepers....well said HM.

I haven't seen a stack of Northern this year, but Dougie Morris has certainly shown the way as the captain of the Knights. He's had 20 possessions or more in all seven games this year, and in five of them has had more than 30 touches. He'd be a mile ahead in their B&F.

Sheer work rate (which is aided by his ability to do a 15+ beep) and a physically developed body are the reasons he's getting high numbers. He's getting everything out of himself, and I admire that. Yet I can see exactly where HM is coming from. When you watch a game looking for eye catching moments, Doug doesn't provide many. He's not quick, and his kick is average. If the conditions were wet last Saturday, he'd have had a picnic.

I have only seen Morris once this year so am not an expert on him but I would think in the way the game is played at the moment having a 15+ beep and being a ball winner are attributes that would rate pretty highly. As you say though the game I saw I didnt think he used the footy that well albeit a poster has said on the weekend he had a 70% disposal efficiency so if he could keep that up for the year then he might be ok.

FWIW the test results I have seen of his are very comparable to Mitch Hallahan's and in fact the beep may be better so you would think that shouldnt be a huge negative

Remove this Banner Ad

TAC Cup round 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back