Confirmed Baker (Rich), Owies (Carl), #12 & #73 to WCE, #14 to Rich, #3, #63 & #68 to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't forget the future 2nd.

Still looks a good deal as long as you nail the pick. If the pick ends up average, or the wheels fall off next year it suddenly looks pretty average.

Talking about Carlton?

If so, I didn’t include it because we didn’t trade out of the 2nd round completely. We just replaced ours with Brisbane’s.

Talking about Carlton?

If so, I didn’t include it because we didn’t trade out of the 2nd round completely. We just replaced ours with Brisbane’s.
But you traded THIS year's 2nd rounder for Brisbane's, so a 2nd rounder has still been included regardless. I get that that's to do with the Camporeale boys, but that's assuming either gets bidded on before that second round pick.

I have an unpopular take on this

Carlton have sold the farm for Pick 3

F1+ F2, +12 + owies for 3 is top dollar
We have 2 father-sons this year & 3 FS/Academy's next year, Walker another FS the year after.

Using 3 now is obviously used to bring in the best we can now, to compliment the current group.

We haven't won anything yet though.

We could pick another Paddy Dow and blown a crap load of draft capital to do so.

Going to take a few years to work out of this was worth it.
Poor Paddy'd taking a caning - LOOK AWAY PADDY!

Let's not forget Lauchie O'Brien please....urghhh

That was a bad year...

Yeah that's pretty much what I said isn't it?

If Eagles had have got 14 + something else decent for Barrass, given that 14 to us and kept 3 then the Eagles fans would be nowhere near as outraged. Even though the price for Baker remained the same.
14 for Baker is bad regardless what has happened before. West Coast would be better off taking it to the draft in either situation. Richmond come out of this very well.

But you traded THIS year's 2nd rounder for Brisbane's, so a 2nd rounder has still been included regardless. I get that that's to do with the Camporeale boys, but that's assuming either gets bidded on before that second round pick.

Oh yes, you’re right.

Not particularly fussed about that pick given the Camporeale twins (more from the perspective of number of list spots) but it should be included in the discussion.

Talking about Carlton?

If that's your line of thinking, wouldn't you then need to include what you gave up for that Brisbane pick?

As I said, not saying you didn't get an amazing deal, but there's no need to oversell it further.

(Edit) NVM, since covered.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is what happens when you try to win a trade period. WCE committed to Baker and tried to play hardball with Hawthorn for Barrass. Hawthorn said cya and forced WCE into this trade to get Baker. Some clubs get deals done, others run the gauntlet. Cards didn't fall for WCE on this occasion. I'd be livid if I were a WCE fan, entirely avoidable.

If the Blues have traded up to 3, it won’t be to take a small forward.

The Eagles have blown up a chance to get at worst the third highest rated player of the draft to pair with Reid. They might only cop a player they rate 8th to 10th now, in exchange for two middle aged role players. They needed to take best available at 3.
I think this is exactly the rub
Owies and Baker are best 22 but not transformational
A quality pick 3 can make a genuine difference

To think Eagles have had these years at the bottom and only had 1 top 10 draft pick is eye brow raising

What I’m struggling to get my head around is how no other club trumped Carlton’s offer for pick 3. Amazing.
Donny Pike said he that once the Eagles offered a home to Baker they needed to get it done and this was the best way to do it.

What a clown lmao.

Donny Pike said he that once the Eagles offered a home to Baker they needed to get it done and this was the best way to do it.

What a clown lmao.
Sounds like the Crows Gibbs deal all over again.

There should be a maximum limit you are prepared to trade... & should only trade pick 3 for a gun player... which isn't the case with Baker & change.

Remove this Banner Ad

Confirmed Baker (Rich), Owies (Carl), #12 & #73 to WCE, #14 to Rich, #3, #63 & #68 to Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back