TAC match reviews/previews

Remove this Banner Ad

RD 1 is over and here's my take so far.

Bendigo - :confused::confused::eek: Sadly witches hats at best.
Oakleigh - :thumbsu: Some amazing talent in that team led by Gaff. KPP's to burn and their 93 lads are like :eek:
Sandy - Just going with a few triers.
Knights - :mad: Tough lads who make you earn every kick. Team of work horses led by Caddy
Cannons - Mixed bag but missing their best two at the moment.
Bushies - Not bad across the board. Ceglar will carry them.
Rebels - Similar to Bushies with some goers
Falcons - Not bad. Hard to tell against the Hats. If they leave Smedts at FF all year I will be disappointed.
Jets - I might be sick the day they play the Hats. Without the Conway cameo's they will only get worse.
Ranges - Some talent but will they stand up all year with the Coach throwing them around like dice on a Craps Table.

What says you footyman.

Astute assessments as usual from you Sezzy.

I'm a bit concerned about the state of the TAC Cup at the moment. The standard of footy seems to have gone backwards compared to where it has been in prior years which is one concern, but the other issue is the gap between the good and bad sides. Bendigo are just pathetic. I feel for those kids who live at Mildura and Swan Hill, who spend three hours each way travelling to and from Bendigo and being a part of that crap.

Sandringham and Western are not in the same league as Bendigo, but they're closer to Bendigo's standard than they are the top sides. Why is it the same sides who battle from year to year? Instead of whinging about zones and private school footy etc, maybe they need to assess the standard of their programs at lower levels. The Bendigo and Sandringham players in particular just seem overawed totally by the standard and pace of TAC Cup footy. Western seemingly play 'kick and hope' footy.

What do you think about the standard of footy at the moment Sezzy? Has their been a shift in the style of footy being played?

In terms of the respective sides, agree with you on Oakleigh. Clear top side. They are selecting the right type of player. Think Geelong will be up there again as well, quite impressed with them (even though it was against Bendigo). Not sure on the status of their school players though. Were missing Langham and Semmens yesterday.

Any news from the pios and stingrays game ? who played well ?
Gippsland Power 8.6.54 def by 20.16-136 Dandenong Stingrays.

From the Stingrays website.
Gippsland PowerGoal Kickers: D. MacDonald 4, J. Lamb 2, T. Northe, T. Corry
Best Players: S. Marusic, S. Wyatt, D. MacDonald, H. Hector, T. Northe, L. Todd
Dandenong StingraysGoal Kickers: A. Siposs 3, J. Savage 3, T. Elton 2, J. Salopek 2, M. Gent 2, J. Greeley, L. Parker, A. Treloar, R. Bleeker, D. Holden, L. Smith, N. Allen, B. Tagg
Best Players: A. McInnes, A. Treloar, M. Hallahan, J. Savage, T. Elton, L. Parker

What do you think about the standard of footy at the moment Sezzy? Has their been a shift in the style of footy being played?

There are just so many issues about the TAC that are causing problems.

Football Politics, Nepotisim, Empire Building, Tyranny of distance for the Country clubs, Private School Commitments, Players being worked into the ground and suffering long term injuries, Egos at all levels, Pressure to succeed for Coaches and players, etc etc.

How do you fix it all? I have no idea. Too many people want a slice of the pie. Too many opinions muddy the waters.

The AFL machine is just this big monster and the kids are the sausage factory that feeds it.

Raising the draft age to U19 might be a start but it will never happen. The U19 comp would take the Private School issue away but no doubt create other problems.

I reall worry about the workload of the kids. By the time they get to Draft Camp most a broken shells. I have heard many stories about drafted kids being sent to go under the knife weeks after the arriving at their clubs to repair them.

Many Private School kids are playing twice a week. Even the current TAC games seem to go on and on. 18 minutes plus abit of time on is plenty. Why kill them.

Just my 2 cents.

Agree on all counts.

The coaches are one issue, there has been a swing back from recently retired AFL players to the school teacher/local footballer types. But strangely there seem to be a lot more ignoring the no tagging, no flooding philosophy.

I also agree with you about the draft age being lifted, there are too many guys getting injured, especially their bodies breaking down in their first year of AFL footy. Unlike you, I don't have an issue with game length. I think the game length is right. Those 80 minute Nationals games a few years ago were a joke. Maybe the season is too long? Maybe the TAC Cup should just go 12 weeks, everybody plays each other once, then a few weeks of finals? Nationals and school footy breaks in the middle?

I know clubs love their stars, but I was concerned to see the number of quality players who called themselves off today. At one stage there was a Knights player looking to the bench, almost begging to come off. He'd run his backside off for 15 minutes, his tongue was hanging out of his head. And one Calder player whipped himself off, and the interchange bloke tells him "you can have three minutes rest then you're back on"...Calder were particularly disappointing I thought, they had six players on the bench yet three of them seemed to hardly get any game time. Someone may want to correct me about injuries or tell me the number of interchanges was above the norm.

Footyman I agree with what you said about Bendigo they are pathetic but do not blame the players the administration and coaching up there is what is pathetic, the boys get no feedback, no development, they have no game plan and the match day coaching is non existent. This has been the same for the past 6 years and does not look like getting any better. The only players that get drafted are those boys who would get drafted know matter where they played. The staff play favourites and if you are not one of those bad luck!!

A classis example is Dustin Martin, he was not in the pioneers squad as a bottom ager, despite his coach, Jamie Elliot (ex AFL), ringing the pioneers staff and saying this kid was the best 15 year old he had seen, and they needed to get him into the squad, but no they knew better. They bought him in with 3 games to go and he averaged 30+ possessions.

With the players they had over the last 3 years they should have played finals but unfortunately they continually lose games by less than 12 points because they are out coached. Tell me how doeas a team that last year beat Dandenong, Calder, Oakleigh get beaten by Geelong by 3 points not play in finals, it all comes down to their set up.
DONT blame distance, Ballarat, Murray, Geelong and Gippy all have the same issues yet they always play in finals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Astute assessments as usual from you Sezzy.

I'm a bit concerned about the state of the TAC Cup at the moment. The standard of footy seems to have gone backwards compared to where it has been in prior years which is one concern, but the other issue is the gap between the good and bad sides. Bendigo are just pathetic. I feel for those kids who live at Mildura and Swan Hill, who spend three hours each way travelling to and from Bendigo and being a part of that crap.

Sandringham and Western are not in the same league as Bendigo, but they're closer to Bendigo's standard than they are the top sides. Why is it the same sides who battle from year to year? Instead of whinging about zones and private school footy etc, maybe they need to assess the standard of their programs at lower levels. The Bendigo and Sandringham players in particular just seem overawed totally by the standard and pace of TAC Cup footy. Western seemingly play 'kick and hope' footy.

In terms of the respective sides, agree with you on Oakleigh. Clear top side. They are selecting the right type of player. Think Geelong will be up there again as well, quite impressed with them (even though it was against Bendigo). Not sure on the status of their school players though. Were missing Langham and Semmens yesterday.

Footyman I agree with what you said about Bendigo they are pathetic but do not blame the players the administration and coaching up there is what is pathetic, the boys get no feedback, no development, they have no game plan and the match day coaching is non existent. This has been the same for the past 6 years and does not look like getting any better. The only players that get drafted are those boys who would get drafted know matter where they played. The staff play favourites and if you are not one of those bad luck!!

A classis example is Dustin Martin, he was not in the pioneers squad as a bottom ager, despite his coach, Jamie Elliot (ex AFL), ringing the pioneers staff and saying this kid was the best 15 year old he had seen, and they needed to get him into the squad, but no they knew better. They bought him in with 3 games to go and he averaged 30+ possessions.

With the players they had over the last 3 years they should have played finals but unfortunately they continually lose games by less than 12 points because they are out coached. Tell me how doeas a team that last year beat Dandenong, Calder, Oakleigh get beaten by Geelong by 3 points not play in finals, it all comes down to their set up.
DONT blame distance, Ballarat, Murray, Geelong and Gippy all have the same issues yet they always play in finals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just clear that up, I definately don't blame the players for what Bendigo serve up. The commitment most of those guys make to their footy is admirable. Especially the ones who travel week in, week out.

Not surprised they missed Dustin Martin. Given the size of their zone I find it staggering they can't put a competitive team out there. There talent ID and their development programs at U14, U15 and U16 levels must be that far behind most other clubs.

Current coach is adored by AFL Victoria though and he won't be moved on.

There are just so many issues about the TAC that are causing problems.

Football Politics, Nepotisim, Empire Building, Tyranny of distance for the Country clubs, Private School Commitments, Players being worked into the ground and suffering long term injuries, Egos at all levels, Pressure to succeed for Coaches and players, etc etc.

How do you fix it all? I have no idea. Too many people want a slice of the pie. Too many opinions muddy the waters.

The AFL machine is just this big monster and the kids are the sausage factory that feeds it.

Raising the draft age to U19 might be a start but it will never happen. The U19 comp would take the Private School issue away but no doubt create other problems.

I reall worry about the workload of the kids. By the time they get to Draft Camp most a broken shells. I have heard many stories about drafted kids being sent to go under the knife weeks after the arriving at their clubs to repair them.

Many Private School kids are playing twice a week. Even the current TAC games seem to go on and on. 18 minutes plus abit of time on is plenty. Why kill them.

Just my 2 cents.

Great post Sezzac. Our local TAC club has been a laughing stock for years (this is no fault of the current admin or the players). Factors other than potential or ability have led quality kids getting overlooked year after year and others simply don’t want to be part of it. They would rather play at local clubs with their mates than put up with the bulls…t & politics. However another nearby organisation (Chargers) with similar challenges (high number of privates) seems to to it brilliantly. They have a reputation for selecting on merit rather than other ‘influences’ and seem to be highly regarded in TAC circles for reasons other than just winning games. How do we improve the TAC comp? I have some thoughts but others are far better qualified to answer this. For another time maybe.

I'd love to hear them...would make a good discussion point.

Here are a few to start

Increase it to an under 19 comp. Many reasons why but in summary the present system is to heavily weighted to kids who have already developed physically. Other who has not matured by the age of 16 or 17 are overlooked. The burden of young lads juggling their most important years of school with playing TAC, school footy, club footy or otherwise just trying to a teenager is enormous. Any wonder that many struggle to deal with this and the implications can extend way into the future.

We must do more to prevent the number of youngsters being afflicted with injury and burn out. Do we really need to start TAC pre season so early? 16 & 17 year old’s don’t need a 5 month pre-season.

This will probably never happen but I personally believe we should have a much shorter TAC season. Plenty of quality underage football is already available. APS, AGSV, ACC, VAFA U19 premier etc etc. The real good ones who are physically able could even play VFL or top grade suburban footy. By all means have an elite comp but what’s the point of making it such a long season when a good number of them are unavailable for such long periods (private school footy, national’s etc)

Align clubs to VFL or even AFL clubs. The infrastructure is already in place. Why duplicate this by creating another level of administration, coaching etc that is in some cases is inferior to what is already available. Plenty of good role models and mentors already in the VFL system. I reckon the VFL is fantastic comp and a great resource that is being under utilised. Might generate a bit more local interst in the VFL also.

I think this is already occurring at some clubs but take a serious look at the appointment of all these ‘development coaches’, helpers and hangers on. A few (not all) have agendas to promote their own self interest such as their own sons, own clubs etc. Some are well qualified and do a fantastic job but I reckon it has got a bit of hand at some (not all) clubs.

I could go on and on……… Just my opinions and I don’t profess to have any great expertise. As mentioned there are plenty of others much better qualified than I.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Increase it to an under 19 comp. Many reasons why but in summary the present system is to heavily weighted to kids who have already developed physically. Other who has not matured by the age of 16 or 17 are overlooked. The burden of young lads juggling their most important years of school with playing TAC, school footy, club footy or otherwise just trying to a teenager is enormous. Any wonder that many struggle to deal with this and the implications can extend way into the future.
I agree with that. And I think it will only be a matter of time before the AFL fiddle with the draft age again. School needs to be #1 focus, then footy.

We must do more to prevent the number of youngsters being afflicted with injury and burn out. Do we really need to start TAC pre season so early? 16 & 17 year old’s don’t need a 5 month pre-season.
Agreed. The statistics are there and they show rediculous levels of injuries, both at underage level and in their first year in the AFL system. Too many of them arrive at AFL clubs as damaged goods. The current numbers arent acceptable. The pre-season is too long, some clubs this year were starting before VCE exams had finished. We have to remember most kids are also very active away from footy, they play other sports in summer and at school.

This will probably never happen but I personally believe we should have a much shorter TAC season. Plenty of quality underage football is already available. APS, AGSV, ACC, VAFA U19 premier etc etc. The real good ones who are physically able could even play VFL or top grade suburban footy. By all means have an elite comp but what’s the point of making it such a long season when a good number of them are unavailable for such long periods (private school footy, national’s etc)
TAC season has already been shortened, but it could perhaps be shortened a bit more. But I also think some of those school comps are a joke. Nobody wants to compromise.

National Championships have been extended, that's good for guys to play quality footy but all that travel must take its toll on them.

Align clubs to VFL or even AFL clubs. The infrastructure is already in place. Why duplicate this by creating another level of administration, coaching etc that is in some cases is inferior to what is already available. Plenty of good role models and mentors already in the VFL system. I reckon the VFL is fantastic comp and a great resource that is being under utilised. Might generate a bit more local interst in the VFL also.
Essentially I think a lot of it comes down to funding. TAC Cup clubs are aligned with local VFL clubs, in a lot of cases they do share offices and grounds.

Never say never ;)

I don't see it happening any time soon but one day perhaps.
It would have to bring with it a few other changes, shorter season being one.
I would like to see it being a clear u19 draft age. So the only players eligible this year would be born 1991 or earlier.

The current system with all the issues that have just been mentioned and/or discussed over the years, and have been so prevalent over the years with little to no sign of abating, lead to so many problems.

I agree wholeheartedly that the AFL simply views the TAC comp and other junior comps as "sausage factories." The thing is, the AFL gets the tasty healthy sausages all to itself, gets first dibs on everything else, will spit out the nice looking ones that don't taste so good, and won't go near the manky deformed snags, nor help them find a plate/mouth to call home.
OK, enough with the sausage analogy... sorry sezzac! ;)

I, and most here no doubt, have seen numerous cases of kids coming out of the TAC shells of who they were a few years earlier before playing in the elite footy comps.
You have all these boys competing to get drafted while at the same time their footy time is competing with yr11,12 and work in some cases. As has been said they are over worked, and boys being boys they are not going to say no to any challenges and continue all their other physical pursuits (sporting and otherwise).

a) u19 draft age. Means all (give or take a couple) eligible players will be playing TAC after having completed their secondary schooling.
You will have some defer from uni and work part time/casual and be able to give their all to footy.
Some will go to uni full time/part time, again plenty of time for footy.
Some will be working/apprenticing and should have the flexibility for footy.

---This is all in contrast to currently where some players focus on footy so much it ruins their VCE results. That's all well and good for those luck enough to be drafted, but for those who miss out it really can set them off on the wrong foot into the "real world" they won't be able to study what they want to straight away, and if they are still chasing their AFL dream they will likely play VFL which itself has another minefield of issues for young non-AFL-players.

b) Shorter season. Have made a few changes recently but still needs to be changed. Get past these crazy years of GC and WS, back to all VIC teams and play 12-14 rounds.

c) No traditional finals. Radical I know. Play the regular 12-14 rounds. Then play 2-3 rounds of extra games with teams evenly matched playing off against each other. Maybe top 4-6 playing to get to GF if they see the need to still have that premiership decider.
This does go against my thoughts of a couple of years ago when I really loved the comp and the boys getting that chance to play on GF day at the G. Over it now. Main point of this is every team gets the same number of games (give or take 1 for a GF).

d) Remove any association with VFL clubs. Needed for both leagues to regain/retain their identities. Any link should be only once the players are done with their final year of u19 TAC.

---------
I am very worried with the introduction of GC and WS into the AFL, the talent in the AFL seems so thinly spread at the moment, that I shudder at the thought of adding 2 extra teams so quickly. We need to have a perfect breeding ground in the place where most draftees come from. Get the factory operating right and all the sausages will be made to an edible standard.

Anyway, I have not watched a lot of TAC the last couple of years, I still do really enjoy it when I do get the chance, I just wish it were better.

havent got final scores as left with 10mins to go but Nthern up by 100pts (150 vs 50).

Good game to half time with GWS really competitive and trailing by 3 goals with a few mins left. Nthern got 3 in junk time to lead by 36 and then blew them away in the third.

McConnell has his work cut out as a few of his blokes footskills are not up to standard but they do have a go. He also had a heap of blokes out (Langford, Hill and Brain I think pulled out this morning.

Northern on the hand were v good. They are a big side this year and are strong in the contests. Barden absolutely dominated with what must have been 6+ goals and god knows how many behinds. They dominated the middle with Caddy v good along with Marcon, Treloar, Di Rago, Bianchin, (Veal first half). Maric and Currie were outstanding in the second half - part Maric around goals. Currie has some tricks doesnt he! Down back Witkowski was v good along with Lincoln. Suspect Marcon will struggle to get drafted but gee he reminds of Blair. Great inside and his handball release is exceptional.

For GWS Stubbs and Carey stood out. Stubbs took a while but to be fair the delivery is really poor at times. Careys work in midfield was good but still lacks that yard (Barlow gives him hope). Down back KIckett (hawks scholar hodler) was good insomuch as he showed a few tricks. A couple of kids in Goulay and Birch showed some really good signs and lots of notes to taken with the blokes around me with a couple of things they did near goals. Anderson was ok. Was looking to seeing Webster and he wont ok without being great. Can see why they like him though.

Going to be a long year for GWS but its just great to see them out there and obviously they are going to improve as the year goes on and when they get a few more back.

For Northern - they look good. With Barden up front they have a super target and their midfield is very capable.

Hey guys, anyone who went to watch Calder vs Dandenong today, would love to hear how Lachie Wallace went, number 3 at a guess (?) he's a low number. He was told he was too small last year, got invited back over the summer, played last week in the backline and this week was picked onball and was the 3rd guy named in the best. Although a bit smaller than average, the guy is a gut runner and one of the most determined players going around, and he will give himself every opportunity to do as well as he possibly can. Interested to hear a few reports on him from people who went after he was named in the best.

Hey guys, anyone who went to watch Calder vs Dandenong today, would love to hear how Lachie Wallace went, number 3 at a guess (?) he's a low number. He was told he was too small last year, got invited back over the summer, played last week in the backline and this week was picked onball and was the 3rd guy named in the best. Although a bit smaller than average, the guy is a gut runner and one of the most determined players going around, and he will give himself every opportunity to do as well as he possibly can. Interested to hear a few reports on him from people who went after he was named in the best.

He was very lively. Fearless. Neat skills and likes a dash and a bounce. By all accounts he was good against Gippy the week before. I like the way he goes about it. :thumbsu:

What did you think of Dion Prestia (#2 for the Cannons)?

I watched him last week and was very impressed.

2010 TAC Cup
North Ballarat Rebels 4.3 9.3 10.4 13.6 (84)
Geelong Falcons 4.1 8.3 12.9 17.14 (116)

GOALS:
North Ballarat Rebels: Dobson 3 McDonald 2 Cook 2 Cameron 2 O'Brien Currie Spriggs McMahon
Geelong Falcons: Smedts 5 Smith 3 Pitt 2 Davis 2 Walker 2 Williams MacKenzie Fisher

BEST:
North Ballarat Rebels: Darmody Schache Slabbert McMahon Currie Dobson
Geelong Falcons: Walker Sodomaco MacKenzie Smith Smedts Sheahan

Remove this Banner Ad

TAC match reviews/previews

Remove this Banner Ad

Back