Take it to the courts

Remove this Banner Ad

NOTE: The following is my opinion, based purely upon the reporting of events happening via twitter, and radio reports. My belief is not that the fault lays purely at the feet of Denton, but of the associated Hawthorn officials (and the club itself) for what appears to be gross mis-management of a relatively simple tribunal/appeal process.

better?

Don't think the club will take it further but I'm behind them if they did. This isn't about Lance, this is about the custodian of the game bastardising it to an extent where it is no longer footy.

We might aswell all turn up in brown and gold skirts and netball bibs.

You guys cannot be serious, get over it you flogs.

Ah..heloo Rusty you were on 3 minutes ago??

Anyways, I have this mate of mine who has offered to work for us pro bono.

He is a great conveyancer but he is willing to stretch his knowledge in the legal industry.

I say we give him a go

CastleR4c.jpg

come on Dennis...Make us proud:thumbsu:

Its just not right? It's the vibe...

Can I ask would you be so furious if it where Ryan Shoenmakers??

The AFL didn't do this because of Buddy, it's in the rules. DOn't get me wrong if it was a key Bomber I'd be furious to but taking it to the courts?? I think that's getting a bit carried away isn't it?

What rules?

Putting the Buddy case to one side for a moment, the AFL have been skating on thin ice for some time with what I regard to be illegal practices.

Just for once I'd like to see a club, or group of clubs get together and push a class action against them. They have pushed clubs and players around for way too long and it's time something was done about it.

I have continued to watch the so-called "bump" many times over, and it is the softest thing I have seen for many a day. How Cousins managed to get hurt from it is questionable ... perhaps his brain is so pickled it will cave in at the slightest touch, who knows?

All I can say is this is going to be the most timid finals series of all time with players so scared of making accidental high contact it will make a total farce out of the game.

Non-Hawthorn supporters are so smug that Buddy has copped it, but it isn't just Buddy, the game has copped it. It's hardly worth watching as it is without removing any sort of aggression from it.

The AFL expects people to pay top dollar to attend this match, and yet they rob the supporters of one of the games true drawcards. Would I go to a concert knowing one of the key musos are being replaced by one from a local pub band? Of course, I wouldn't, so why would I waste time going to this game?

AFL just keeps getting it's priorities completely wrong.

I always thought that the only viable defence was to dispute whether high contact occurred at all.

If you concede that high contact occurred then there was no other possible outcome.

Having chosen the no option defence, it was reasonable to find that the option of attempting to tackle was available.

Would have been nice to kick the bombers arses, still can!

Sick to death of the AFL and the inconsistency... The problem is with all this rule changing, the players don't know whats going on. That bump if it were made a few years ago would be applauded.

Maybe its time the clubs band together and rise above the AFL. Dictator Demetriou should be given the boot! Replace the AFL Management and get someone like FIFA to run the game.

Can I ask would you be so furious if it where Ryan Shoenmakers??

The AFL didn't do this because of Buddy, it's in the rules. DOn't get me wrong if it was a key Bomber I'd be furious to but taking it to the courts?? I think that's getting a bit carried away isn't it?

Most idiotic post? Its taking the most important player out of a team before the most important game of the season.

Personally I believe the club might as well make their stand about the whole general treatment of Lance Franklin - from his treatment by the umpires to this disgraceful decision.

There is enough precedent by the actions of umpires and officials to seriously ask the question of these people as to what is true motive. Put them on the stand and ask them under oath - what were you thinking?

From the AFL Grand Final. Scarlett clearly trips over his own feet yet the umpire awards him (Scarlett) a free kick against Buddy! This from a person who is supposed to be the best umpire that year. It seems ingrained, player falls down..lets not judge each incident, lets just blame Buddy immediately. Get that umpire before the courts under oath and defend the indefensible.

Get the umpire from last weekends game to explain how 4 players can be on top of Franklin. One player clearly punching Buddy in the mouth with enough force to draw blood yet still gets a free given against him when he tries to get one of the four off him! Get this umpire into the courts and explain.

Of course there are many many more instances to chose from.

If the AFL want war, I say give'em War.

In Victoria there is the RACIAL & RELIGIOUS TOLERANCE ACT 2001. I say test the AFL and their officials in this court. Not the AFL's own court type tribunals and appeals hearings but in a setting the AFL cannot control.

I say enough is enough. The most exciting player in a decade is being umpired out of game. This showdown needs to happen. Appeals have fallen on deaf ears to date. Time to shake them up good a proper.

You cannot be serious can you??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As mentioned before, take it to the courts and get an injuction put in place. This would result in Buddy being able to play. The court case would not be conducted before Saturday, therefore Buddy would play!

Forget the courts, we have to let it go and concentrate on the game on saturday.
I can't stress enough how poor the decision was, and the AFLPA and all clubs should fight to keep the bump, and hold the integrity of our game of AFL.
On another point, if Buddy goes to court, and plays saturday. When the court case is heard say next week, and is then still found guilty, will he then miss the next 2 finals matches providing we continue through the finals?

In court you can bring in any previous case to back you up. in the tribunal they dont let you as they dont want to look like fools. 5 minutes in the magistrates court and it will be thrown out

i think we'll do nothing! and accept it! i know that we are angry

but the game is becoming a pansy game... and they are phasing out the bump!

Seriously guys... we are all hoping for something to change... but the way things are going... our game is changing way too much... they won't budge on this.

THis is distracting us from the main issue here...

ESSENDON ON SATURDAY AFTERNOON... what i am angry about is TAYLOR IN!!! for BUDDY!!! WTF IS THAT

NOTE: The following is my opinion, based purely upon the reporting of events happening via twitter, and radio reports. My belief is not that the fault lays purely at the feet of Denton, but of the associated Hawthorn officials (and the club itself) for what appears to be gross mis-management of a relatively simple tribunal/appeal process.

better?

Seriously, Simon, you have been a good poster on this site, and other Hawk sites, but how do you know anything except the snippets you've read in the press?

You really have no idea whatever about this issue.

David Denton is one of the best Senior Counsel around; I've worked with him, and I am on a Hawk supporter group with him. He's not only a good lawyer, he is very knowlegeable about footy. I would trust him to run the defence.

Your sniping does nothing at all for the issue.

Davo23

David Denton is a fine lawyer - he is not to blame.

We won't win an injunction. The only reason Dunkley got an injunction was cause they were not prepared - trust me they'd be prepared.

I think everyone agrees it is a dud rule drafted by a bloke who could not cut it as a lawyer, and taking it further - is a law that if put forward by parliament would not stand. But the AFL is not a governmental authority that requires due process or natural justice.

The only way we can take it to the AFL is to sign picks 1 through 5 in next years draft tomorrow. Then take them to Court on the grounds of restriction of trade - cite Terry Hill's case and we're home.

Remove this Banner Ad

Take it to the courts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back