Take the showdown to Marvel!

Remove this Banner Ad

It's so stupid.
Games are for the fans -- why should the supporters of two interstate sides who reside in SA travel to vic ro watch the showdown? That goes against everything the whole game is for.

Maybe we should have Anzac Day in QLD, the WA Derby in Tassie while we're at it.

No. These rival games stay with the fans and place that it matters. Their own state.

Surprised its taken this long for the concept to surface to be honest.
Vicco's are starved of actual football skill having been conditioned to the low skill mauling rubbish that replaced the thuggery of yesteryear.
We play a far more skilful style of Football in SA and is why Showdowns are always exciting to watch from a purists perspective.
Unfortunately its also why we fail deep in finals when the whistle gets put away and the scragging begins.

Yeah piss off Damo, the showdown is a huge day in Adelaide. Victoria already took their grand prix away from them all those years ago and now you want to take their showdown as well ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With both teams getting an extra game in Adelaide with gather round is it time play it at Marvel? I'd probably go along and have a look.

Yeah nah.

You guys don’t get it, closest thing if you’re old enough is like state of origin hatred.

Also, extra game at gather round? Ok, let’s rotate the GF then.

I’d rather see Geelong v Collingwood at Kardinia Park.

yeah right whatever GIF

Only way a showdown happens in Melbourne is for a grand final,

For my health, I hope that never happens
Would be an epic build up and game though, with both sides travelling, doing the hotel/parade inconveniences.

Will never happen though, AFL and Vics would be too scared it'd be a fantastic spectacle and a success.
Stupid attitude really from them, who wouldnt want to see SOO type intensity where two non Vics tear each other to shreds with not a Vic club injury or sanction in sight

I would love to go to a Showdown. To just soak up the atmosphere, a genuine rivalry, and a great game of footy as both teams peak for their own fans and give a big FU to those of the other. Playing it over here though would utterly dissipate that atmosphere, dilute the ability of a couple of passionate supporter bases to engage in their rivalry, and leave maybe a decent game left over. Utterly defeats the reason why I want to go to one.

One of the more foolish takes I've seen from someone who had a fair list of them. If I wanted to go to a neutral game at Marvel, I'd go see Bulldogs v Saints and get a genuine atmosphere.

I would love to go to a Showdown. To just soak up the atmosphere, a genuine rivalry, and a great game of footy as both teams peak for their own fans and give a big FU to those of the other. Playing it over here though would utterly dissipate that atmosphere, dilute the ability of a couple of passionate supporter bases to engage in their rivalry, and leave maybe a decent game left over. Utterly defeats the reason why I want to go to one.

One of the more foolish takes I've seen from someone who had a fair list of them. If I wanted to go to a neutral game at Marvel, I'd go see Bulldogs v Saints and get a genuine atmosphere.
Thats why a Showdown GF would be epic, 40k Vicco's watching 60k Port/Crows fans eyeballing each other in the stands whilst their teams go full throttle on the park.
We dont even get that level of tension over here because the home crowd keep the outnumbered away fans in check.

It would be better than in Adelaide, just dont think our Victorian friends could cope with having no local dog in their fight again for it to ever eventuate unfortunately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Take the showdown to Marvel!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back