Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was an article in the paper a couple days ago of another footy adminstrator pilfering money from a junior footy club up north. Wonder if he was inspired by our great "stickyfingered" past adminstrator of SFL

Actually Cadoras, it's from the NWJFU (North West Juniors) ;)

Agree wholeheartedly.. The committee have sold the club into a massive failure due to their total lack of competance and lack of ability to effectively manage a sporting club.
I would hope that they don't fail like I think they will, but unfortunately, the writing is on the wall for the Tigers, and it ain't lookin pretty!!

For your information Kingborough have never trained on the beach what you may of seen was the cricket club...... They have been getting numbers up to 50 at training and some quality kids as well as some new older faces and some recruits from interstate. The club is in its best position in years to move forward and has only lost some dead wood that had to be cleared out. Financially they are in a position where they are building a house to make more money fo when the new ground is developed as well as plenty of new marketing ideas. For the people that blame the board from the outside. this is ridiculos because its the best hardest working board around and im sure the only fault of these was to keep a poor coach for to long.

Its dissapointing that everytime Kingborough is bagged by people on here Kingpin blames it all on the jumper colors and the problems at Hobart. Its almost time to give that a rest dont you think?

If it was a hard working board they wouldnt have let kingston get to the postion that it is in now.

So what position are they in now? Have you been around the place or are you just going of what you read on here. Fair enough they have lost some senior players but with those guys bar 1 or 2 there would be no chance of winning a premiership. The way Blight has it set up now in 3 of 4 years time all the young ones coming through and getting a go things will be closer to that goal. They have the best junior program in the league and the most numbers as well. Under 17s and 19s have had almost 40 players each and under 15s about 30.

Channel Aquathon
As part of Channel Football Club’s preseason training, players will this coming weekend take their training to the D’entrecasteaux Channel in their first Aquathon.
Coach Owen Johnstone brings the “Aquathon’ to the Channel Saints from the Tassie Devils. “It is an enjoyable full on training day, with very real rewards for all players” he said. “ It is more than physical activities, with problem solving and mental development crucial to final outcomes.”
Six teams of 5 players will motor out from Dru Point on Sunday morning bound for Tinderbox, Dennes Point, Coningham and Snug beaches. Activities will be undertaken at each beach, and also completed as the players transit from beach to beach.
Players will complete the ‘Aquathon’ at Snug Beach at around 2.00pm. After players clean up, a family and supporters BBQ will be held prior to the announcement of the winning ‘Aquathon’ team.
Player and supporter registrations will be available on the day. Saints Membership - Junior $25, Adult $35, Family $50.
Full Memberships - Silver $70, Gold $100, & Platinum $200.
Concessions available on all memberships.
Supporters are invited to attend to witness the arrival of the teams into Snug Beach, share a BBQ lunch with players and register membership for 2007.

Should be an interesting day...... It is good to see Owen introduce things like this at the club, he has worked very hard on this day and hopefully it is a success for the club... Will be interesting to see if the great man Cadoras is in attendance...

Will be interesting to see if the great man Cadoras is in attendance...[/quote]

I will be there acting as a safety warden in one of the boats - equipped with a loudspeaker and a double barrelled shotgun just in case of man eating sharks in snug bay, cant be too careful these days.

Insider - thanks for the correction ;)

I will be there acting as a safety warden in one of the boats - equipped with a loudspeaker and a double barrelled shotgun just in case of man eating sharks in snug bay, cant be too careful these days.

Insider - thanks for the correction ;)

I would probably be more worried about some of the locals than the sharks... Hopefully the weather turns out alright, the long range forecast is only 19 degrees, which would result in extreme shrinkage, and maybe a slight case of pneumonia...

I would probably be more worried about some of the locals than the sharks... Hopefully the weather turns out alright, the long range forecast is only 19 degrees, which would result in extreme shrinkage, and maybe a slight case of pneumonia...

No pain, no gain! a wee dram of whisky will warm the cockles up before you get in the p!ss, the extreme shrinkage can be overcome with a hot water bottle taped around your nether regions!, The shotgun will keep the locals at bay eh!

Its dissapointing that everytime Kingborough is bagged by people on here Kingpin blames it all on the jumper colors and the problems at Hobart. Its almost time to give that a rest dont you think?
Having had dealings with them back in those days, that won't be happening anytime soon. You've been forewarned in case you don't want to read it Stickytape.

Fact of the matter is both clubs would've been in a lot better shape, and had better followings, not to mention the league itself would be seen in a more positive light had they not been embroiled in a seven year war over something that was pretty easily solved with a bit of common sense.
If only they'd worked together.

Going by the Football Club support and the knowledge of history of local footy by the posters on this thread I thought some of you guys may have some names to consider to put forward for the hall of fame. I know most of us think that AFL Tasmania are tossers(rightly so) but some names probably won't get recognised unless we put them forward.

Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame

Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame: Call for Nominations - 2007

AFL Tasmania is seeking the support of the Tasmanian football family for the third year of Tasmanian footballs’ major recognition project – the Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame.

Members of the public may assist by providing nominations in writing.

The nomination should be provided as soon as possible so that the selection committee may fully consider the submission. Where nominations are not accepted for induction in 2007 they may be considered for subsequent inductions to the Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame that will occur annually.

The selection criteria for players / coaches / umpires / administrators or volunteers is:

Players, coaches, umpires, administrators/volunteers and media representatives will be considered eligible for induction into the Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame based on a candidate’s outstanding services and overall contribution to the game of Australian Football. The selection committee may consider a candidate’s individual record, ability, integrity, sportsmanship and character. Candidate’s currently participating in any aspect of the game of Australian Football may be inducted into the Tasmanian Football Hall of Fame.

Nominations should include the contact details of the person that is being nominated or their next of kin, including: name, address, phone contact.

Please return all nominations to:

Confidential: Hall of Fame, AFL Tasmania, PO Box 1896, Launceston 7250.
Confidential: Hall of Fame, AFL Tasmania, PO Box 520, North Hobart 7002.

The closing date to receive nominations for 2007 is: Monday 12 March 2007

If there are any queries please contact the following:

Scott Wade – General Manager on 62301800.
Daniel Smedley – Assistant General Manager on 63330583.

Channel Aquathon
As part of Channel Football Club’s preseason training, players will this coming weekend take their training to the D’entrecasteaux Channel in their first Aquathon.
Coach Owen Johnstone brings the “Aquathon’ to the Channel Saints from the Tassie Devils. “It is an enjoyable full on training day, with very real rewards for all players” he said. “ It is more than physical activities, with problem solving and mental development crucial to final outcomes.”
Six teams of 5 players will motor out from Dru Point on Sunday morning bound for Tinderbox, Dennes Point, Coningham and Snug beaches. Activities will be undertaken at each beach, and also completed as the players transit from beach to beach.
Players will complete the ‘Aquathon’ at Snug Beach at around 2.00pm. After players clean up, a family and supporters BBQ will be held prior to the announcement of the winning ‘Aquathon’ team.
Player and supporter registrations will be available on the day. Saints Membership - Junior $25, Adult $35, Family $50.
Full Memberships - Silver $70, Gold $100, & Platinum $200.
Concessions available on all memberships.
Supporters are invited to attend to witness the arrival of the teams into Snug Beach, share a BBQ lunch with players and register membership for 2007.
Good stuff! Sounds like the Saints are really coming along nicely there.
Hopefully they have a pretty good year.

Good stuff! Sounds like the Saints are really coming along nicely there.
Hopefully they have a pretty good year.

Yep, should be a good day. The appointment of Owen Johnstone as coach has been a hugely positive move, he has made things a lot more professional down there. Hopefully we are in for a good year, it has been a while since the saints have challenged for the flag. We are not expecting massive things this year, but we do expect a fair improvement of last year. We don't have many recruits, but there is a good bunch of enthusiastic youngsters at the club that have shown good improvement since last year.

splann is at brighton been training a bit. played chb in inter club practice match and did well. salts also played but was kept quiet and didnt see much of the ball. it was played during the hail storm on friday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having had dealings with them back in those days, that won't be happening anytime soon. You've been forewarned in case you don't want to read it Stickytape.

Fact of the matter is both clubs would've been in a lot better shape, and had better followings, not to mention the league itself would be seen in a more positive light had they not been embroiled in a seven year war over something that was pretty easily solved with a bit of common sense.
If only they'd worked together.

I have been involved with Kingborough for the past few years and i have not herd the color debate mentioned. It has no effect on the club what so ever. There has been no war apart from a very small minority of Hobart supporters of which you are one king pin. Hobart are in a much better position than what they would of been if they have not joined the sfl and agreed to the terms of entry.
Im not sure why you bring it up all the time you must have some big issues with the club or pepole there.

I have been involved with Kingborough for the past few years and i have not herd the color debate mentioned. It has no effect on the club what so ever.
I virtually left Hobart at the end of 2003 for work reasons - at the time I worked night shift so never got to attend games or be around the club - and it was most definately an issue before that I can tell you because they mentioned it at every single opportunity in our presence, it was almost like they didn't care whether they won games, just as long at they stopped us from having our jumper and emblem.
I found it rather peculiar actually.

Sticky tape said:
There has been no war apart from a very small minority of Hobart supporters of which you are one king pin.
What was 2000-2004 then? If there was no war how come they:

• Went to the media and the League and hopped up and down and requested Hobart (who were top in all grades at the time) have all their season's premiership points in all grades stripped because some of the players sung 'Tigers' in the song after a win?

• How come they waltzed in to Hobart's clubroom and demanded they remove all TFL Premiership flags with the Tiger's head displayed on them?

• How come they demanded Hobart remove all signs inside the clubroom which said Tigers Den Bar?

•How come they asked the club to remove the wooden Tiger's head from above an office door in own changerooms? - it was seen by an official in the rooms after either a junior or Master Rules match in which they stripped in our rooms.

There have been numerous other examples.

With all due respect, to suggest that there was no war between the two clubs over it, and it was only a handful of Hobart supporters who kept it up, is the most patently absurd thing I've ever read on this forum.
It may be the case now days, because obviously Hobart are the Lions now, and most of the supporters at Hobart these days are not ex-Tigers.

Kingpin said:
Hobart are in a much better position than what they would of been if they have not joined the sfl and agreed to the terms of entry.
Up until Lamprill stitched up that TasKeno deal they were stone motherless broke and probably wouldn't have survived another 2 years in that current guise.
Allegedly they've got less than 80 financial members, and less than 20% of the supporter base they had when they left TFL.
The only thing they are better off at since they left the TFL is their on-field performances - mind you that wouldn't be difficult.
We all agreed at the time that we couldn't be the Tigers when we first joined the SFL - whilst disheartening, we could accept it and move on - however the allowing of other clubs to return their original identities in the ensuing years while continuously disallowing Hobart to resume any part of theirs with, in part, rediculous excuses by the SFL and by Kingborough (as well as Hobart doing nothing about it - President John Blake was sacked for not trying hard enough on the issue) was what caused the biggest part of the ruckus.
See: Brighton & North Hobart for a classic example.

Sticky tape said:
Im not sure why you bring it up all the time you must have some big issues with the club or pepole there.
I bring it up because I, and a lot of other people think it's an absolute disgrace.
In times of record low crowd attendances, times where people have walked away in droves from the game - and are continuing too - things like that do the sport a huge disservice.
Things like that give people reasons to walk away from football and as you know pretty well, when they're gone it's very hard to ever get them back.
As for whether I have personal issues with people at Hobart, whilst it's irrelevant - I have nothing to do with either the club or its Old Players & Officials subsiduary these days - my issue is more to do with the fact that bloody-mindedness, arrogance and stupidity is keeping the game itself from possibly flourishing.
Lets just say I'm bitterly disappointed in a few people that I once held in much, much higher regard.

Yep, should be a good day. The appointment of Owen Johnstone as coach has been a hugely positive move, he has made things a lot more professional down there. Hopefully we are in for a good year, it has been a while since the saints have challenged for the flag. We are not expecting massive things this year, but we do expect a fair improvement of last year. We don't have many recruits, but there is a good bunch of enthusiastic youngsters at the club that have shown good improvement since last year.

Just quickly, yes it would be good to see them challenge again.
They've got a big following down there, and I figure the last time they were a big threat for the flag was 1999.
I still reckon it would've been a tough final had Hobart met Channel in the 99 Final at Huonville rather than Brighton.
They just about filled Huonville for an earlier final and Brighton were Hobart's biatches that year.
Hobart were great that year, but I reckon playing Channel in the Huon would've been a lot closer.
Good to see them on the rise again :thumbsu:

If Nick Finlay who used to do the ODFA website views this thread, or anyone knows his email, could you please pm me.

If Nick Finlay who used to do the ODFA website views this thread, or anyone knows his email, could you please pm me.

Gday Oz! Last time I was talking to him (about 18 months back) he was playing for Friends reserves and was just about to head to the mainland.
Not sure if he's still in Melbourne or not, I did have his mobile number on my old mobile but I smashed the phone, and I don't have it on my new one.
I'll do a bit of checking and let you know if I find anything :thumbsu:

193?? You wouldn't have done that many over your entire time at Glenorchy....unless you are talking pies and savs? :D

I seem to recall one night we probably did do that many, albeit not in one go. Remember those night's when the ground was closed or we'd played terribly and it was under the grandstand with good ol Graham "Saddam" Bailey!

He never liked us much because our team contained his old boxing coach's Grandson, Mick Harris, remember?!

He flogged us that hard one night I was literally ill.

Or maybe that was because I had tea before I went to training!

As they say on the wrestling, he was a "sadistic Son of a B!tch!"

He'd always make us do sets of 50 push ups - easily too much for me - and if we didn't touch the ground with our nose and old fella we'd start again until we'd done 50 and he hadn't caught anyone!

Well f... me, if we didn't get to 46 and he caught Darren Barr!

"Righto, start again, and ya can thank that c... there!" he'd bark!

Wonder how the young fellas down there now would like him!

Cadoras - love your work!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back