Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It got better, we got offered a pass-out after the game and he told the gatekeeper, "Why would anyone want to get back in it's only the Devils"
His team won by 2 points btw:)

Sounds like the boy would've fitted in pretty well with some of the blokes I used to stand on the terraces at North Hobart with - only the young bloke's probably a lot more polite :p

Who'd he play for? A friend of mine, her son played his first game for South Launceston juniors today I think.

Sounds like the boy would've fitted in pretty well with some of the blokes I used to stand on the terraces at North Hobart with - only the young bloke's probably a lot more polite :p

Who'd he play for? A friend of mine, her son played his first game for South Launceston juniors today I think.
Deloraine Under 9's, played North Launceston

Channels game against Triabunna wasnt very pretty to watch but hey, a wins a win. We will take em when we can.

Triabunna lost one of their best players, one of the Taylor brothers (Leigh?) to a knee injury before half time and their "gun" recruit Trent Wiggins didnt even bother turning up until after half time!

Dean Mills was pretty well behaved today although his brother Corey was foolish enough to clip Rossiter on the head while he was going for a mark and copped one back on the beak for his troubles.

Did Ross win their game against Campania today? Whoever won would be on the p!ss all night.

Barge - Looks like the 'Mont pygmies need to get out on the training track more often to prevent last quarter fade outs.:D

Win TV obviously read this forum.
Much better local football coverage tonight WIN, keep up the good work,:thumbsu: we will let you know of any other improvements as they arise.

Much better local football coverage tonight WIN, keep up the good work,:thumbsu: we will let you know of any other improvements as they arise.

Roger Oldridge does a great job in my opinion. He can only do what his bosses allow him to do, and the fact that it's not a 'local' station as such anymore makes it a little difficult.
But the little segment before the news is very good, and the reports on the news were good too :thumbsu:

hey barge, sorry to say but your once reliable source is way off the mark, i was up at Cadburys today, and who was there all day amongst the dosa faithfull... one m.honey!!! he will be back playing for the roosters next week according to everyone at the game!!!!

VFL - Round 4
Frankston 15.12.102 - Tasmania Devils 7.8.50

SFL Premier League - Round 4
Glenorchy 19.10.124 - Hobart Lions 9.15.69
New Norfolk 14.9.93 - Clarence 11.15.81
North Hobart 14.15.99 - Lauderdale 6.16.52
Brighton 20.16.136 - Kingborough 11.17.83

SFL Regional League - Round 4
Huonville Lions 16.15.111 - Sorell 16.8.104
Cygnet 12.12.84 - Claremont 11.14.80
Kermandie 13.17.95 - Central Hawks 13.6.84
Channel 17.15.117 - Triabunna 6.5.41
Dodges Ferry 9.12.66 - Lindisfarne 8.12.60

NTFL - Round 6
Devonport 41.25.271 - East Devonport 4.7.31 (Anzac Day)
Nth Launceston 22.17.149 - Sth Launceston 14.15.99 (Anzac Day)
Latrobe 27.12.174 - Smithton 20.16.136
Ulverstone 19.20.134 - Penguin 8.9.57
Burnie Dockers - Launceston (18:00 Start)

NTFA Division One - Round 4
Longford 10.27.87 - Scottsdale Magpies 4.7.31
Deloraine 13.6.84 - Bracknell 9.14.68
George Town 21.15.141 - Bridgenorth 10.8.68
Hillwood 16.16.112 - Rocherlea 11.8.74

NTFA Division Two - Round 4
Fingal Valley 20.12.132 - Tamar Cats 8.11.59
Old Launcestonians 21.11.137 - Campbell Town 13.8.86
Perth 22.15.147 - Evandale 7.10.52
St Patrick's - Old Scotch (17:00 Start)

hey barge, sorry to say but your once reliable source is way off the mark, i was up at Cadburys today, and who was there all day amongst the dosa faithfull... one m.honey!!! he will be back playing for the roosters next week according to everyone at the game!!!!

Yes, my source did tell me that earlier on this evening.

My source also feels that the mentioning of clubs that were persuing Honey may well have been a ploy by himself to fool DOSA into paying Brighton the $1500 they were owed.

Make no mistake, they will be a fair task to topple with him in the Senior side before time, but would he have made the 13 goals difference against the "Magenta and Black" last week?

He may well take dickie26's spot in the senior side!

Mr incredibe - I must ask what were you doing up there - watching Richmond?

First Sorell, then Channel, now Richmond.

You're starting to become a bit of a Matthew Honey yourself - a bit of a football whore!

It's good to hear some positive comments regarding our coverage of footy on the WIN.

Obviously, some of you are aware that we in the office at WIN do view BIG FOOTY regularly and you're right we do take your comments on board.

You posters, are the ones passionate about the local football and are the people that we obviously cater for in our news service.

Keep giving us the feedback and we'll keep on delivering you the best coverage that is possible with the resources we have.

If you've got any stories you think would make a good yarn, don't be scared to send me a private message.

cheers
RO

Mr incredibe - I must ask what were you doing up there - watching Richmond?

First Sorell, then Channel, now Richmond.

You're starting to become a bit of a Matthew Honey yourself - a bit of a football whore!

and i will be watching the clarence u17s today!!
had nothing to do with channel, was just in the area and went in to have a look.

It's good to hear some positive comments regarding our coverage of footy on the WIN.

Obviously, some of you are aware that we in the office at WIN do view BIG FOOTY regularly and you're right we do take your comments on board.

You posters, are the ones passionate about the local football and are the people that we obviously cater for in our news service.

Keep giving us the feedback and we'll keep on delivering you the best coverage that is possible with the resources we have.

If you've got any stories you think would make a good yarn, don't be scared to send me a private message.

cheers
RO

Good to hear, maybe you could try and push WIN to bring back our own footy show, i remember Hobart having one back in the early eighties and it was always good fun to watch but also helped to promote clubs and make the best players household names. There is so much focus on the Devils but very little on the SFL Premier and Regional Leagues which are basically the feeders from the south of the state for the devils. A move like this would create greater interest in the competitions around the state and perhaps bigger attendances at games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good to hear, maybe you could try and push WIN to bring back our own footy show, i remember Hobart having one back in the early eighties and it was always good fun to watch but also helped to promote clubs and make the best players household names. There is so much focus on the Devils but very little on the SFL Premier and Regional Leagues which are basically the feeders from the south of the state for the devils. A move like this would create greater interest in the competitions around the state and perhaps bigger attendances at games.

The old boys around here still talk about the glory days of the old footy show and personally I would love to have one on.

Problem is, they are, expecially in this day and age, very expensive to produce and WIN is run basically out of Woolongong.

If it was still TAS TV and owned and run in Tassie, we'd probably able to do one, but those days are long gone.

There would also be the argument that, given attendances at games, there would be little interest in a show like this.

I hear what you are saying about generating more interest in the games, but its a bit like the chicken and the egg in some respects.

We need greater numbers at local footy to generate interest in a show and we need a show to generate greater interest in local footy.

The old boys around here still talk about the glory days of the old footy show and personally I would love to have one on.

Problem is, they are, expecially in this day and age, very expensive to produce and WIN is run basically out of Woolongong.
Another problem would be that Win TV is Statewide and it would have to be a Statewide show which may be hard to do. Maybe they could do something along the lines of the oppositions fishing(boring) show and do a series on visiting clubs in the state highlighting the clubs, their characters and their culture.
At least Win makes an effort to report on local football during their main news and kudos to them for that.

Another problem would be that Win TV is Statewide and it would have to be a Statewide show which may be hard to do. Maybe they could do something along the lines of the oppositions fishing(boring) show and do a series on visiting clubs in the state highlighting the clubs, their characters and their culture.
At least Win makes an effort to report on local football during their main news and kudos to them for that.

I agree with you, maybe at the very least we could see some footage from match of the round from each league, just to put something extra into the report.
It's good to see WIN making an effort and what they do with the limited resources they obviously have is a credit to them.

Roger Oldridge does a great job in my opinion. He can only do what his bosses allow him to do, and the fact that it's not a 'local' station as such anymore makes it a little difficult.
But the little segment before the news is very good, and the reports on the news were good too :thumbsu:

I agree, Get rid of McSniff and get the young guys on there.

Ahh yes, the old days of World Of Sport on TVT-6, and later Tas-TV.
Had fellas like Harry Ward, Peter Sharp, Mel Arnold, Mal Sutton, Bob Cheek, John Noble, Peter Hudson, Harold 'Nunky' Ayres and Colin McNiff was anchor with 'Sharpie' when it last ran in 1993.
Was a great show.

lion's+roar said:

If it was still TAS TV and owned and run in Tassie, we'd probably able to do one, but those days are long gone.
Yes, that's fundamentally the biggest problem.
I remember Jayson Baldock - an old bowling colleague of mine since our junior days together - explaining just how expensive locally produced shows like that cost once, and how hamstrung they are by being no longer 'local' as such.
It's one of the biggest problems in Tasmania in the last 15 years, everything is owned and governed/funded by outside interests and it makes it difficult to promote locally based products.
The Mercury's not too dissimilar in that regard and radio has headed down the same path.

lion's_roar said:
There would also be the argument that, given attendances at games, there would be little interest in a show like this.

I hear what you are saying about generating more interest in the games, but its a bit like the chicken and the egg in some respects.

We need greater numbers at local footy to generate interest in a show and we need a show to generate greater interest in local footy.
That is very true.
And in all honesty, I'll only talk about the south here, the SFL doesn't and probably will never capture the public interest in its current form.
It did for awhile during the time the TFL was being right royally rogered (parden the pun) by disgraceful mismanagement and the admission of two former TFL clubs into the SFL roster.
That was still a largely country/amatuer competition which was increasing its professionalism and generating arguably equal to or larger crowds than the TFL was, and the public was talking about it a lot.
The TFL was axed to make way for the Devils, the clubs are shunted away into a dark corner never to be seen again, all lobbed in together (former professional, amateur and country alike) and the quality of the competitions lose their edge and become stale again and the public loses complete interest.
In 2001 there was a show called 'Football Life' aired on WIN at around 'Noon on Saturdays.
This was a good show, featured all football in the state, got out to see clubs the length and breadth of the state - but was possibly screened at the wrong time to garner the market of those they were trying to capture.
The following year it was alleged that Football Tasmania weren't happy with the show and it's lack of Devils content, and requested it be moved to an 11:35pm timeslot on Thursday nights after the 'AFL Footy Show' with the hosts to be replaced by Colin McNiff and Alastair Nicholson.
It was a disaster, 99% Devils content, and ended abruptly as soon as the Devils were beaten and knocked out of the VFL season, despite the fact that league football across the state still had 3 weeks of finals still to run.
It never aired again.
I still believe the country/amateur clubs should not be playing against former TFL clubs, the TFL needs to be reinstated and nurtured properly, and that radio coverage is a top priority, whether that be on ABC or a local station similar to what happens with the SANFL.
Once a level of public acceptance of the product grows, then a show may be feasible in the long term.
Just my thoughts - and keep up the excellent work :)

cheers
RO

hi Roger,

good to hear you guys are trying to connect with your audience through BigFooty.com. anyway, my question is, how much control do the reporters have over the on-air content?

I understand you guys have an obligation to report as many subject areas as you can (soccer, rowing, orienteering etc), but I imagine there's more people who go along to watch North Hobart FC on the weekend than the amount who watch Hanny Allston point her compass. in a perfect world, your coverage would reflect this.

alas, it's not a perfect world. I know TV news is as much a business as it is a community service, and ratings are what you live and die by down here, but here really can't be THAT much to lose, can there? Southern Cross' weeknight bulletin is a runaway winner in the ratings, but guys like Leonard Siragusa and Nathan Templeton don't go anywhere near local footy at all (even on weekends).

this raises an interesting question... how does Win's Saturday night bulletin perform compared to weekdays? if it rates well, take it, run with it, give management some great sob story about how local footy is dying and show them how local footy coverage has contributed to an improved performance from the weekend news bulletin. tell them how the local footy scores are a strong lead-in to the 6pm bulletin, tell them how those extra viewers hang around to see a full report 25 minutes later.

(note: I'm assuming the gap is closer on Saturday nights - I know SCTV's Saturday bulletin rates lower on weekends, so I'm assuming the gap is closer).

now, once you've got their attention, grab them by the balls with some quality journalism hahaha (sorry to be so vulgar). maybe chuck in a feature story every so often - I really enjoyed the feature stories you did on Tasmanian AFL players in the lead-up to Round One, and I'd happily tune in to watch anything similar that had a local focus (with Thursday or Friday nights being the obvious spot).

try to avoid the Devils though. let's be honest, nobody gives a toss about the Devils. I, like every football fan I know, follow an AFL team and maybe a couple of local teams, and nothing else. the Victorian Football League is just that, a Victorian Football League, and we don't care who wins and loses in VFL. aside from finding out whether the Devils won or lost on the weekend, we don't care much about the players either, so I wouldn't bother doing a string of news stories about what a great bloke Scott Stephens is.

anyway, I think you're doing a pretty good job. I haven't really been a regular viewer since they stopped replaying the evening bulletin at 11.30pm, but I've seen you around the place a few times, and you definitely seem to be making a decent fist of it

keep up the good work

who would want to merge with Devonport? and inherit their debts to the council?..

That's the only realistic option they have if Easts EVER want to be competitive again at NTFL level, sure they've had a bad run, but bad runs go for normally 5 years. East's havent been anywhere near the finals since the 1998 Grand Final they've lost to South Launceston. (that's 9 years if you inculde this year)
Why? They simply aren't good enough!

I've seen 2 games involving East's this year (against Ulverstone and Devonport) now yes, both are strong teams, but realistically they can't cut it even with the weaker teams Smithton, Wynyard and Latrobe.
Now tell me, if Latrobe beats you by 140 points, is there a problem?? Of course there f***** is!

So really, the only options that East's have at the end of 2007 are:
1. Stay in the NTFL and become the "Punching Bag" for all the teams in 2008 and beyond.
2. Drop back to the NWFA for 2008 and beyond, or
3. Merge with Devonport

The only team that has a worst finals drought is Penguin, their seniors last making the finals in 1992.
So, really, can East's fix the problems before they further embarrass themselves?? Nope!

Can you please help Kingborough ??? God knows they need it.

Help Kingbourgh go to the .... house.
They interfered with the culture of the Hobart fc in 1998.
Now they receive their KARMA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back