Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I understand you guys have an obligation to report as many subject areas as you can (soccer, rowing, orienteering etc), but I imagine there's more people who go along to watch North Hobart FC on the weekend than the amount who watch Hanny Allston point her compass. in a perfect world, your coverage would reflect this.

alas, it's not a perfect world. I know TV news is as much a business as it is a community service, and ratings are what you live and die by down here, but here really can't be THAT much to lose, can there? Southern Cross' weeknight bulletin is a runaway winner in the ratings, but guys like Leonard Siragusa and Nathan Templeton don't go anywhere near local footy at all (even on weekends).

this raises an interesting question... how does Win's Saturday night bulletin perform compared to weekdays? if it rates well, take it, run with it, give management some great sob story about how local footy is dying and show them how local footy coverage has contributed to an improved performance from the weekend news bulletin. tell them how the local footy scores are a strong lead-in to the 6pm bulletin, tell them how those extra viewers hang around to see a full report 25 minutes later.

(note: I'm assuming the gap is closer on Saturday nights - I know SCTV's Saturday bulletin rates lower on weekends, so I'm assuming the gap is closer).

I have a fair bit of control in regards to sports content .. not total, but a decent amount.

I agree more people want to see football than other stuff, but i'd rather get a bit of everything than footy and nothing else, just to appeal to a wider audience.

As for the ratings, well, its a long road back.

We get smashed overall during the week, basically because Launceston are very much Southern X.

We win hobart a bit, but the Launceston numbers see us get beaten overall.

Just had a look at the weekend's figures and its same as usual.

Sat ..Won Hobart, smashed in Lonny and just lost overall.

Sun .. Absolutelly smashed across the state.

But anyone who knows anything about ratings knows they're a farce.

160 boxes in all of Tassie to apparantly give an accurate reflection of what people are watching.

Does anyone on here have or even know someone who has a ratings box?

Anyway guys .. thanks for the feedback and will take it onboard!!

Cheers

I for one have never heard of anyone having one of those Boxes.

This is the first time I have posted on here although I have been following this conversation for a while and I agree that enough is not being done for footy in the south at all

I for one have never heard of anyone having one of those Boxes.

This is the first time I have posted on here although I have been following this conversation for a while and I agree that enough is not being done for footy in the south at all
the reason you have not heard ofanyone having a ratings box is simple, they don,t exist, it,s bulls##it. you are right, not enough being done for football in the south or any other region in fact. a new broom thru those argyle st offices might be agood start.

Does anyone on here have or even know someone who has a ratings box?
Cheers

I used to have a black box for about 3 years, bloody drove me nuts pushing the buttons whenever someone walked in or left the room.

If I can recall the newsletters ATR (the name of the company - alias AGB Nielsen Media Research) used to send out, it was something like the vicinity of 5000 households for all of Australia.

The only damn good thing to come out of it was 2 maglite torches and a free tune up of the telly when it went fuzzy.

Told them to take it back about a year ago.

Just on a completely different matter i was told today that Andrew Weeding from Dodges Ferry after being sent off against Huonville was offered a one game suspension but if he took it to the tribunal ran the risk of getting 6. How can the penalty be so different if you take the early plea than trying to get cleared.

A few random thoughts from he with impeccable sources:

Mr incredibe - I see you went to watch the Clarence v New Norfolk u-17s clash - Roos by 150 odd points. Eagles goal less in said clash.

What has happened to Norfick underage - Wilbur35 and I remember 15 years ago they were nigh on unbeatable in the u-17s!

Speaking of New Norfolk v Clarence, why has no one mentioned Justin Rainbird's 8 goals in the Seniors to be the difference between winning and losing against their hated arch rival!

Why has nobody mentioned that on here?!?!?!?!

I see Kempos Kingz got a mention on the weekend! Well done young man, keep up the good work (Never thought I'd say such a thing!)

Also, my old mate Mick Cassidy appears to me if it were counted now to be a shoe in for the Hobart B&F - to those closer involved than me, thoughts?

To the younger ones out there, what do you think of these youngsters I know:

Brad Absolom (North Hobart u17s)

Jake Gillie (Lauderdale)

Jake Gillbee (Lauderdale u/a formerly Sorell, Son of Steve "Plover Gillbee??)

Thank you very much.

Mr incredibe - I see you went to watch the Clarence v New Norfolk u-17s clash - Roos by 150 odd points. Eagles goal less in said clash.

What has happened to Norfick underage - Wilbur35 and I remember 15 years ago they were nigh on unbeatable in the u-17s!

Speaking of New Norfolk v Clarence, why has no one mentioned Justin Rainbird's 8 goals in the Seniors to be the difference between winning and losing against their hated arch rival!

Why has nobody mentioned that on here?!?!?!?!

I see Kempos Kingz got a mention on the weekend! Well done young man, keep up the good work (Never thought I'd say such a thing!)

Also, my old mate Mick Cassidy appears to me if it were counted now to be a shoe in for the Hobart B&F - to those closer involved than me, thoughts?

To the younger ones out there, what do you think of these youngsters I know:

Brad Absolom (North Hobart u17s)

Jake Gillie (Lauderdale)

Jake Gillbee (Lauderdale u/a formerly Sorell, Son of Steve "Plover Gillbee??)

Thank you very much.
i saw young gillbee play last year for sorell u/a, the kids a gun. mind you his old man was afair player. another youngster to keep an eye on is jayden charleton from nth hobart, not much of him, but sure knows where the ball is going to be.

and that was in the wet! and clarence are only middle to bottom of the ladder themselves, long year ahead for those young fellas unfortunatly.

i saw young gillbee play last year for sorell u/a, the kids a gun. mind you his old man was afair player. another youngster to keep an eye on is jayden charleton from nth hobart, not much of him, but sure knows where the ball is going to be.

Yeh little plov is at heaps of games through out the year and thrives on getting in the rooms and soaking up the club his old man once owned. Wouldnt think it would be more then 2 years till we see him up the tacca. On big Cass he is playing very well atm and is certainly sure to poll well early in our b&f. Probably him and young Bec would be the leaders. Whisper is those two, Charlesworth, Reeves and big Dickson have been nominated for the southern rep side.

Yeh little plov is at heaps of games through out the year and thrives on getting in the rooms and soaking up the club his old man once owned. Wouldnt think it would be more then 2 years till we see him up the tacca. On big Cass he is playing very well atm and is certainly sure to poll well early in our b&f. Probably him and young Bec would be the leaders. Whisper is those two, Charlesworth, Reeves and big Dickson have been nominated for the southern rep side.
i hope that whisper is right. it means the rep side is being picked on form not reputation as in previous years. any thoughts on who else might get selected?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i hope that whisper is right. it means the rep side is being picked on form not reputation as in previous years. any thoughts on who else might get selected?

Have heard on the grape vine that serveral north hobart players have been nominated, they include R Long C Degooyer and the surprising selection of M Fisher.

Have heard of Long and Degooyer but dont no much about Fisher, all i have been able to find out is that he plays half forward and kicked 11 goals this year,

Does anybody have any more info???

Squads been announced to all the clubs, about 35 on the list
suprise to see darcy and atkin named... as the regional league have there own game do they not??
atkin would also surely be a chance for the game against qld, which would obviously rule him out of the north vs south clash.
Clarence glenorchy and north hobart provide the bulk of the squad with about 20 between them
With hobart, brighton, lauderdale, new norfolk and kingston having a couple in the side.

will be interesting to see the final make up of the team is and how they fair against there northern side.

suprise to see darcy and atkin named... as the regional league have there own game do they not??
atkin would also surely be a chance for the game against qld, which would obviously rule him out of the north vs south clash.
Clarence glenorchy and north hobart provide the bulk of the squad with about 20 between them
With hobart, brighton, lauderdale, new norfolk and kingston having a couple in the side.

will be interesting to see the final make up of the team is and how they fair against there northern side.

Surely players that play in the regional league can't play in the main game. that would mean that NTFA players if good enough should be able to play in the NTFL team. It is Atkins decision to play regional league and that is where he should play rep footy.

have you got a list of the selected players to publish on this forum?

I thought that the Hawk Lady might have given him a bit of praise seeing as she reckons - he's not worth the coin he asks. ....... bloody good game of footy by Rainbird. Even the old Derwent Valley Gazette has nothing but praise for his spetacular game of footy. For a long serving member of the Club the Grey Eagle quoted: Rainbird has played many a good game for the Eagles, but by far this would be his best. Keep it up Rainbird. Thumbs down Hawk lady.

Surely players that play in the regional league can't play in the main game. that would mean that NTFA players if good enough should be able to play in the NTFL team. It is Atkins decision to play regional league and that is where he should play rep footy.
darcy & atkin are in premier league squad, what a joke. can premier league players who can,t make their squad drop back to regional squad?

have you got a list of the selected players to publish on this forum?

Dont have it with me but i can roughly remember it some of the names

Atkin and darcy (regional League)
howard gill and fielding (kingston)
charleworth reeves cassidy(hobart)
gilmour delaney and salter (brighton)
Long, de gooyer, devine, marshall, geappon (North Hobart)
Setchell, fagan, paine, jamieson (Clarence)
curran, hunt (glenorchy)
post, hodge belcher (new norfolk)
johnson (lauderdale)

obviously thats not everyone but thats just off the top of my head!
hope it helps

The squad for the Premier league team is being picked from the best available players, regardless of whether they are Premier or Regional. Slightly strange decision, but the decision nonetheless.

obviously thats not everyone but thats just off the top of my head!
hope it helps

Thanks for that, interesting selections, some big names missing from there, ie the coaches.... Blight, Bolton (if he ever plays a game), Newett, Smith (Still injured?) etc

On a lighter note - Would that mysterious footballing legend that no one has ever heard of...... Mr Kleeman (aka Alfred.E.Newman) have made the squad if he was playing footy this year?

Thanks for that, interesting selections, some big names missing from there, ie the coaches.... Blight, Bolton (if he ever plays a game), Newett, Smith (Still injured?) etc

On a lighter note - Would that mysterious footballing legend that no one has ever heard of...... Mr Kleeman (aka Alfred.E.Newman) have made the squad if he was playing footy this year?[/quote

Yes would ezy get a Game
Cadoras he is the Sort of player you build a team around ever Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back