Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well it appears that you are saying that Hobart lost it because of the way they played, and not the way Lauderdale played!

To just blow a 25 point lead midway through the third term in the mud and slush with the ease they did certainly rings alarm bells, wouldn't you think?

Whilst Lauderdale did play well in that passage of play, Hobart threw it away, pure and simple, and as Old Lion quoted, through a lack of desperation!

Would not have been a nice to be at the TCA on a freezing, windy and wet day.
Heavy overnight and morning rain turning the ground into its usual mid winter quagmire.

You're not joking! I had the colts on Saturday and you couldn't see the centre circle after half time, it would have been a lot worse for those doing the seniors!

Yes we did pull off an upset against the hawks at about this time last year, beating them by about 50 points. We were slow out of the blocks on Saturday, and never got within about 25 points. The saints showed some passion in the second half, but it was too late. They deserved the win, they handled the conditions much better than us.

Barge, I am absolutely honoured to have my name on such a prestigious piece of silverware. This could be the proudest moment of my life, other than receiving my pen licence in grade 2.

As big as this announcement is, I have something far, far bigger to report.

HE'S BACK!

I was reading the sides in Friday's paper, and came across the name of a legend in the Triabunna Reserves!

Now I have heard reports they are cashed up (seriously!), but this one would have broken the bank!

There it was - plain as day - for all to see - named in his favourite position and all, was ..............

WILBUR35!

All I can say, as a former team mate of yours in black and white colours Wilbur, you make me sick, you sell out!

In 3 weeks time, when you take to Abbotsfield Park wearing that old replica Clarence guernsey, I pledge to have you physically broken in half!

Playing at Dodges yesterday, I'm sure Truck felt the same way as well!

Sorry Barge, it ain't me....I was at the OHA v Saints game watching another legend in action....one J. Klug!!

I wouldn't play for anyone other than the Pies in your league.

Monday game was it, This?

Wilbur35, I did notice my favourite player from our Under 8's day snagged a couple! He'd have been laughing to himself no doubt at the efforts of some of the jabronies playing for SVC 2nds wouldn't he?

Now Sportstalk, I'll be straight up with ya - please don't annoy me on here like The Majestic and that other Canberra based muppet WCL used to!

Channel looked to be in better form?

They beat Triabunna by just 28 points!

Granted they did beat the Hawks 12 months ago, but you're overlooking one factor I'm sure Jelly and the Big C will agree with me on - they aren't the side they were last year!

Don't think anyone saw Cygnet and Lindisfarne's wins coming to be honest!

As for the Devils - If you're not a big fan then that's a big plus with me!

Channel looked to be in better form?

They beat Triabunna by just 28 points!

Granted they did beat the Hawks 12 months ago, but you're overlooking one factor I'm sure Jelly and the Big C will agree with me on - they aren't the side they were last year!

Don't think anyone saw Cygnet and Lindisfarne's wins coming to be honest!

As for the Devils - If you're not a big fan then that's a big plus with me!
That is true that we are weaker than we were last year, but we still have the potential to pull off an upset victory, if teams take us too easy.

I saw Cygnet's win coming. I think they, on their day, are the strongest team in the comp, and I wouldn't be at all suprised if they make it to the GF. They have the strongest forward line by far (Darcy, Walter, Lamprill, Creek) and have good players all over the ground. look for them to make a major push from here in.

Heard he got 3 weeks. Plenty of lies told.

The umps didn't see the Glendon Bentley one either and he got a far more severe penalty.

Consistency at work!!

of course he would hes got nothing else to do ...

What's your problem pal? Obviously you have something that you've gotta get off your chest!

The reason why I've signed up to Bigfooty is simple.
1) I'm passionate about local football, if I wasn't passionate, I wouldn't be volunteering my services to football and Cricket for 48 weeks of the year, each year, which I've done for 8 years, and
2) As you see below, I've got a Myspace, and thought that I'd use local sport as a speciality.

Besides, the blogs only take between 1-2 hours to do of a Monday and Tuesday, so it's not like I'm spending the whole day on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have just heard that AFL TAS has put a proposal forward to the AFL regarding the formation of a statewide league? Apparently the AFL are for it and are expected to seal the deal within a month or so?

Can anybody shed any light on this?

Have just heard that AFL TAS has put a proposal forward to the AFL regarding the formation of a statewide league? Apparently the AFL are for it and are expected to seal the deal within a month or so?

I've also heard this from a fairly reliable source, stating that it will take off in 2009

Any idea what the make-up of the league would be?
Not necessarily the clubs, but the number of clubs, whether there would be conferences, etc?

I hope the Brownless proposal isn't used. 16 teams wouldn't lift the standard.
I'd rather see 8 teams, with no reserves comp. Conferences I'm not so sure on, but the travel costs (and player willingness) are a real issue so they might be needed in some form.
And some way of actually getting the best players to play in the top league. That was a real problem on the north-west, with the strength of the NTFL undermining the TFL clubs ability to retain their second tier players.

This was the related article in today's Mercury.

I still have a lot concerns with it, for the simple fact that while the governing body's primary focus will be on the Devils, the Statewide League will never be the best it can be.
Crowds will be quickly turned off by the fact that their clubs are being treated as 'feeders for the machine' (Devils) so to speak, and will get sick of their best players being chopped and changed out of their side each week.
I have concerns at the viability of many of the clubs, the clubs cannot draw a crowd of any sort at the moment, struggle for members and I fear that it has been let go for too long to entice people back to the games.
Media coverage is another sticking point, it will need ten times more coverage that the sport currently gets to even begin to be a little bit successful, and we know how difficult it it is to get local media coverage these days.
Sponsorship is another sticking point, look at the grounds around the leagues these days, there are little or no sponsors hoardings on the fences or buildings any longer, and big sponsorships are increasingly rare.
This needs to increase rapidly.
So many questions unanswered that need to be, and need to be looked at logically before it's implemented. Something does need to be done, but I'm not sure a fully fledged Statewide League would be the way to go given the way football has fallen out of favour with the public in the last decade or so.
Time will tell I guess.

Any word on Tim Geappen coming back to play? There's a lot of talk coming out of Melbourne about him. Apparently he went up north and fell in love with a girl never to be seen again, but could be back soon.

Any word on Tim Geappen coming back to play? There's a lot of talk coming out of Melbourne about him. Apparently he went up north and fell in love with a girl never to be seen again, but could be back soon.

I've heard he's back either this week or next to play with the Clarence Roos.

My clarence source tells me he could play as early as this week,he also thinks he will be a handy addition to the clarence team.

Is he that good though?
Ask him and he will tell you he is. Can be a very good player (dominated a grand final a couple of years back), very mobile for a tall fella. I used to play against him in juniors, at which time he wasn't very good, but has turned into a fair player. Hopefully not good enough to make them the number 1 team again.

Finals in both leagues this year will be very interesting...

I'd certainly consider it, yep! Gives me something extra to talk about, all the more the better I say. :thumbsu:

Cool bananas :D ... I just had a look at the My Space thingy ... gawd I hate the look of My Space ... but I like the info you're putting up!

I wanna hear more on Mole Creek!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back