Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Barge, Mounties/Claremont...that's where it came from.
And also, thought I'd share this with you, this year your mob are 6-0 at home this season, Claremont would be close to a 12 game undefeated run at home, or there abouts?? If I have a closer look at the stats from the last three seasons, Claremont would have the best home record of the lot...when I find it I'll post it on here...

Oh speaking of poor form, couldn't resist having a look at the sportingpulse website and what did I manage to find in the Sorell/Claremont Regional League Seniors game (Claremont 9.4-58 def Sorell 8.4-52)
http://www.sportingpulse.com/round_info.cgi?a=MATCH&fixture=32777007&c=1-3049-0-65050-0&pool=-1

I thought the final score was Sorell 14.12-96 to Claremont 11.15-81...??

Good to see blunders being made which could prove important come the end of the year!!!

I would understand if you wrote the "Monties" but the Mounties to me, and I'm pretty sure everyone else, is Darren Kaye and the lads up in the ODFA.

Claremont have won 6 at home this year? Yes, while that's true the scalps were Dodges and Sorell before they both hit their straps and then the bottom 4 sides on the ladder!

Over the last 2 years their home record would certainly be up there, but you'd probably find it would be another club if you went over the last 3 years. '06 wasn't real flash.

As for the blunder, that may explain why the idiots from the Mercury wrote in the Central Hawks story that Sorell had lost their last 4 games - I immediately thought Hang on, they won their most recent outing against Claremont :mad:

Making a rare appearance at the game, looking forward to a good clash but not getting my hopes up. If there's one thing I know about Lindisfarne it's that they get up for clashes with the arch rival from the Claremont Mountains!

Sadly, I can't see Lindisfarne leaving with anything other than a 13-0 record!

God, I hope this is another of my incorrect predictions!

Also, why are Hobart playing in the traditional strip today when their President (was it last year or the previous year?) went to great lengths to say "Come and see Hobart as the Tigers for the last time!" ? ?

I would understand if you wrote the "Monties" but the Mounties to me, and I'm pretty sure everyone else, is Darren Kaye and the lads up in the ODFA.

Claremont have won 6 at home this year? Yes, while that's true the scalps were Dodges and Sorell before they both hit their straps and then the bottom 4 sides on the ladder!

Over the last 2 years their home record would certainly be up there, but you'd probably find it would be another club if you went over the last 3 years. '06 wasn't real flash.

As for the blunder, that may explain why the idiots from the Mercury wrote in the Central Hawks story that Sorell had lost their last 4 games - I immediately thought Hang on, they won their most recent outing against Claremont :mad:

Making a rare appearance at the game, looking forward to a good clash but not getting my hopes up. If there's one thing I know about Lindisfarne it's that they get up for clashes with the arch rival from the Claremont Mountains!

Sadly, I can't see Lindisfarne leaving with anything other than a 13-0 record!

God, I hope this is another of my incorrect predictions!

Also, why are Hobart playing in the traditional strip today when their President (was it last year or the previous year?) went to great lengths to say "Come and see Hobart as the Tigers for the last time!" ? ?

SFL Premier League Round 12
Wearing the black and gold sash made no difference to Hobart's cause, they were belted by Glenorchy by 70 points at the TCA. Lauderdale ended New Norfolk's finals hopes with a blistering second half to down the Eagles by 51, as North Hobart burnt Kingborough by 82 at the Beach.
Brighton v Clarence is in progress.

Ladder: Glenorchy 42, North Hobart 36, Clarence* 28 (141), Hobart 28 (101), Lauderdale 26, New Norfolk 16, Kingborough 8, Brighton* 4

SFL Regional League Round 13
Sorell ended the Hawks finals hopes with a four goal win at Bothwell, which sees them move into the five. Kermandie saw off Triabunna by 14, but they are out of the five on percentage. Dodges smashed Cygnet at home by 131, Huonville into third after a 134 point belting of Channel, and Barge's Claremont got well and truly done over by Lindisfarne by 64.

Ladder (thats the correct one, not the SFL one): Lindisfarne 52, Dodges 40, Huonville 32 (139), Claremont 32 (136), Sorell 32 (121), Kermandie 32 (115), Central Hawks 20, Triabunna 12, Cygnet 8, Channel 0

NTFL Round 14
Predictable results here, Launceston smashed Devonport by 152, even without Adam Derbyshire who went off with a calf strain. North L'ton won a shootout with Penguin by 51 (surprised Penguin were that competitive), Burnie outlasted Smithton by 56, Latrobe likewise against Easts by 51 and South the same over Wynyard by 57.
Bye: Ulverstone

Ladder: Launceston 52, Burnie 44, Ulverstone 36, Latrobe 32, South L'ton 28 (117), North L'ton 28 (108), Smithton 24, Devonport 20, Penguin 8, Easts 4, Wynyard 4

NTFA Division 1 Round 12
Longford virtually put the nail into the Deloraine coffin for 2008 with a strong second half to put them away by 57 at the Racecourse. Scottsdale belted Hillwood and got percentage out of a 142 point slaughter. Bracknell ended Bridgenorth's finals hopes with a 29 point win at Redleg Hill, moving into the double chance region. And George Town put aside Rocherlea by 66, sending Rocherlea to 5th place.

Ladder: Longford 40 (208), George Town 40 (154), Bracknell 28 (104), Scottsdale 24 (127), Rocherlea 24 (105), Deloraine 20, Bridgenorth 16, Hillwood 0

NTFA Division 2 Round 12
Fingal have got a hand on flag favoritism after they beat Old Scotch by 45 points, Tamar Cats move into ladder leaders as they won by 17 at Perth's expense, St Pats predictably belted OL's by an even 20 goals while Evandale won a high scoring shootout with Uni-Mowbray by 18.

Ladder: Tamar Cats 36 (163.4), Old Scotch 36 (162.9), Fingal 36 (161.3), Perth 32, St Pats 28, Evandale 12, Uni-Mowbray 8, OL's 4

Seeing as i have this thread open, i may as well add a few scores from Circular Head this afternoon for no one who cares.

Stunning results really. They really make the finals look like they are going to be a great battle.

Irishtown 29.10.184 over Forest/Stanley 4.9.33

Redpa 8.12.60 over Trowutta City Bulldogs 3.15.33

:cool:

Seeing as i have this thread open, i may as well add a few scores from Circular Head this afternoon for no one who cares.

Stunning results really. They really make the finals look like they are going to be a great battle.

Irishtown 29.10.184 over Forest/Stanley 4.9.33

Redpa 8.12.60 over Trowutta City Bulldogs 3.15.33

:cool:
Thanks for that Camel, have family down your way and have enjoyed a few good nights at Redpa footy club and Marrawah Hotel

CLarence over a hapless Brighton by 75 odd points.
Brighton kicked the first of the last qtr to get to within 22 points and then Clarence kicked about 9 in a row!

SFL Premier League Round 12
Wearing the black and gold sash made no difference to Hobart's cause, they were belted by Glenorchy by 70 points at the TCA. Lauderdale ended New Norfolk's finals hopes with a blistering second half to down the Eagles by 51, as North Hobart burnt Kingborough by 82 at the Beach.
Brighton v Clarence is in progress.

It was a pretty disappointing day really. Glenorchy were way too good for Hobart.
The Pies were a very well organised unit out there, never looked like giving Hobart a chance.
They got out to about 89-points in front in the last quarter with Hobart kicking the last few.
Hobart badly lacked cohesion and got murdered out of the middle, their forward line had no hope with the delivery they were getting.
Toddy Lewis was so annoyed with their effort he had them out there running sprints on the Western boundary line from point post to point post at either end for roughly 20 minutes after the presentation on the ground.
Still, they're a pretty young side so they've got a lot of developing to do yet.
Massive difference between the two sides though, huge difference.

The crowd was smaller than I thought they'd get, it was probably about 600-650 - absolutely ball-tearingly freezing day up there never helped either.
The club was very happy with the day and took quite a bit of money from it apparently.
I saw quite a few former fans that no longer attend, but I must admit I thought a lot more would come along.
Have to say, it still seems like there's two different factions of supporters there that don't have much to do with each other. Stills seems a bit divided but that's just how I saw it.
Great to see blokes like Colegrave, Walshy, Lamper, Leigh Crosby, Rod Thomas, Catweazle etc up there in the top of the Smith Pavilion.

Barge said:
Was stated as such at the time purely just to be a smartarse.
Was ____y as shit once he'd been an integral part of getting the Lions thing over the line and thought he'd rub it in a little bit more.
Hence one reason for the buckets of hatred he copped from former supporters.
Hasn't quite got that sort of power up there any longer and has been made to pull his head in by the rest of the current board.
Interesting quotes from Todd Lewis in the Saturday Mercury regarding the whole thing, and it was well said too :thumbsu:

It was a pretty disappointing day really. Glenorchy were way too good for Hobart.
The Pies were a very well organised unit out there, never looked like giving Hobart a chance.
They got out to about 89-points in front in the last quarter with Hobart kicking the last few.
Hobart badly lacked cohesion and got murdered out of the middle, their forward line had no hope with the delivery they were getting.
Toddy Lewis was so annoyed with their effort he had them out there running sprints on the Western boundary line from point post to point post at either end for roughly 20 minutes after the presentation on the ground.
Still, they're a pretty young side so they've got a lot of developing to do yet.
Massive difference between the two sides though, huge difference.

The crowd was smaller than I thought they'd get, it was probably about 600-650 - absolutely ball-tearingly freezing day up there never helped either.
The club was very happy with the day and took quite a bit of money from it apparently.
I saw quite a few former fans that no longer attend, but I must admit I thought a lot more would come along.
Have to say, it still seems like there's two different factions of supporters there that don't have much to do with each other. Stills seems a bit divided but that's just how I saw it.
Great to see blokes like Colegrave, Walshy, Lamper, Leigh Crosby, Rod Thomas, Catweazle etc up there in the top of the Smith Pavilion.

Amazing what happens when the match is dead as a contest! Kick a couple to make it better. Other than the experienced personnel (Dickson, Harvey etc), did any others understand the history of the black and gold sash? Probably not!

That's almost the biggest crowd in a few years at the TCA for a regular season match! Core blimey! :D

Can anyone tell me how luke mclean is travelling down in the apple isle?

His South Launceston is looking good to make the finals. He's got them playing a zonal defence, which most NTFL sides haven't come across before, and it works well against the teams that don't have dominant marking forwards.

Given the lack of prominent players at the club, he's done well to get them playing above themselves as a team. Another year or so with South, a couple of recruits, and the team will be a real challenger.

That's if the state league doesn't get up. If it does, South will be hanging round the bottom of the table again, and I doubt Luke would be able to do too much about it unfortunately.

and Barge's Claremont got well and truly done over by Lindisfarne by 64.

Claremont were unable to stop the 2 pronged forward set up of Tubb and Menzie with 11 goals between them.

Andrew Lockley actually did a good job on Tubb, probably stopped him kicking 16 or 17!

Such was Menzie's polish around goal he may keep high priced recruit Chooka Rainbird out of the side for a few weeks, who may even find himself being coached by Menzie in the early game! :p

I'll make the brave call now - they will not lose a game this year!

Claremont were unable to stop the 2 pronged forward set up of Tubb and Menzie with 11 goals between them.

Andrew Lockley actually did a good job on Tubb, probably stopped him kicking 16 or 17!

Such was Menzie's polish around goal he may keep high priced recruit Chooka Rainbird out of the side for a few weeks, who may even find himself being coached by Menzie in the early game! :p

I'll make the brave call now - they will not lose a game this year!

I always rate sides with forward power as you know! :thumbsu:
Certainly a very good side that deserves the favorites tag, and they'll officially sew the minor premiership with a massive percentage booster against Channel at ANZAC Park, they could threaten a few records too!

Oh thought I'd chuck this in, the run home anyone asked?
Channel (H), Central Hawks (A, Bothwell), Dodges Ferry (H), Kermandie (A), Triabunna (H)

His South Launceston is looking good to make the finals. He's got them playing a zonal defence, which most NTFL sides haven't come across before, and it works well against the teams that don't have dominant marking forwards.

Given the lack of prominent players at the club, he's done well to get them playing above themselves as a team. Another year or so with South, a couple of recruits, and the team will be a real challenger.

That's if the state league doesn't get up. If it does, South will be hanging round the bottom of the table again, and I doubt Luke would be able to do too much about it unfortunately.
Thanks he was a really well respected player in the geelong area dominated 2 of the 3 leagues down here. hope all goes well 4 him and the club

Amazing what happens when the match is dead as a contest! Kick a couple to make it better.
To their credit, they did keep battling it out.
But their second and third quarters were extremely poor, but they fought it out in the last.
They way I saw it was that they were totally outclassed by a more skillful and more professional side.
Would be interesting to see them playing against one of the other sides to gauge whether Glenorchy were that good or Hobart were as bad as they were made to look.
Todd Lewis certainly didn't mince his words with them, which is good because for too long up there there's been a culture of excepting finishing fourth as being good enough.
That won't get them anywhere. There was reports in the paper today of supporters raining abuse down from the stands after the match but I can't say I heard any.
sportstalk07 said:
Other than the experienced personnel (Dickson, Harvey etc), did any others understand the history of the black and gold sash? Probably not!
It's hard to say really. More than likely not given how young many of the list are.
It's been a long time since the club's worn it and there are very few of the original fans still around up there - and that goes for past players too - who would constantly remind the players of the traditions of the place on a week to week basis, so it is kind of a bit forgotten these days.
Things seem so, so different up there from 1999/2000, can't say it feels like 'home' any longer.

sportstalk07 said:
That's almost the biggest crowd in a few years at the TCA for a regular season match! Core blimey! :D
Would be too I'd think. Probably with the exception of the Clarence game when all the sailors came along to watch.
Certainly a lot less than the crowds during Gillbee's days as coach, yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such was Menzie's polish around goal he may keep high priced recruit Chooka Rainbird out of the side for a few weeks,

Barge, you are the all time best stirrer.

Rainbird in the 2's, yeah right.

Intresting reading todays herald sun on page 11 there is piece on Tasmania having an AFL team and 81% of people who did the survey wanted a Tasmanian team, it then goes on about other stuff, THEN i spilled my lunch over myself when it quoted Andrew Demetriou saying that football is moving forward in Tasmania, I think Andrew has been spending to much time at the luncheons and not the grassroots.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Such was Menzie's polish around goal he may keep high priced recruit Chooka Rainbird out of the side for a few weeks

You failed to mention the less than flattering photo in the Sunday Tasmanian of Menza in a classic squatting mode looking like he is about to pop out a sherrin.

Good to see former North Hobart player Colin Garland named round 14 NAB Rising Star.

Come along way since the days on bigfooty when our good friend KEMPO Stated on here in front of everyone that Garland will never get drafted let alone be any good.

The saints defence didnt do a bad job against the Lions last week. Joyce was just too big for anything we had to offer with the perfect match up for him playing in the 2's. If given the chance i wouldnt mind playing on Tubb with week myself. Tough ask i know. I need to get picked for starters

The saints defence didnt do a bad job against the Lions last week. Joyce was just too big for anything we had to offer with the perfect match up for him playing in the 2's. If given the chance i wouldnt mind playing on Tubb with week myself. Tough ask i know. I need to get picked for starters
I take it you are referring to Save there big fella? When he is on, Joyce is near on impossible to stop, especially when you have a team of kids playing. You reckon you can take Tubb? You may as well have a crack, prob one of the only ones at Channel that can match him in the air, and he tends to play 1-on-1 than leading (from memory).

I take it you are referring to Save there big fella? When he is on, Joyce is near on impossible to stop, especially when you have a team of kids playing. You reckon you can take Tubb? You may as well have a crack, prob one of the only ones at Channel that can match him in the air, and he tends to play 1-on-1 than leading (from memory).

Save did not play in that game. "Got To Lift" would have been the better option to take on the walrus named Joyce.

I didnt see you at Training tonight We train for two hours in the Fog i took the warm up tonight So it was worth coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back