Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Benny_ said:
Sorell won easily when they played during the home and away season so this is a huge turn around especially since it was at Sorell's home ground. Any one go to the game i was told Sorell were very undisciplined giving away a number of 50 metre penalties which resulted in goals.

If your sources are correct then this weeks game between sorell and lindisfarne could be firey as the 'farne were also guilty of many indiscretions on the weekend including giving away numerous 50 m penalties i have been informed.

Benny_ said:

Sorell won easily when they played during the home and away season so this is a huge turn around especially since it was at Sorell's home ground. Any one go to the game i was told Sorell were very undisciplined giving away a number of 50 metre penalties which resulted in goals.

My Sorell source informs me they were killed in the ruck and on ball.

I think Lindisfarne will simply be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Eagles to bounce back ferociously.

Much fitter and far better coached.

Kingpin said:

Confirms my belief that the Devils are a giant circle-jerk exercise and mutual back-patting society for players who clearly couldn't cut it, and who won't cut it at AFL level, because they either weren't good enough at that level or were considered too old, but who are 'too good' to go back and play club footy because of 1) loss of prestige by not being involved with 'the big boys, and 2) the local clubs have all got no money to pay these over-inflated egos.

And as for the rest of their hangers-on-ers and the rest of the gravy train involved, don't get me started.

A good idea lost in a fog of ego and money.

The truest words ever spoken about the Devils on this board.

Re Kick It Long. You Always Seem To Make Some Sense Let Us Know Who You Are And We Will Nominate You To Run Afl Tasmania You Would Definitley Do No Worse And Also Would Try To Help Fix The Sfl Comp. My Votes With You. More Ex Players Like You Need To Get Involved You Seem To Understand The Important Things The Game Needs To Get It Up And Going Again. Go On Kick It Long Put Your Ideas Foward It Cant Hurt.

Went over to the big island on Saturday night, went to a game. 15 on the ladder V 14, a game here we could hope to get 200 to attend. 45000 screaming tribal fans attended Saturday nights clash of the Hawks and Bombers.

Most fans attending wearing the colours of their favourite club, probably a life long love affair with the team of their choice, something these people will do probably till the day they die. Even us Tasmanians feel the need to support our teams by making the pilgramige to football mecca. And plenty of Tasmanians do go to Melbourne to watch the football, the couple sitting next to us on Saturday night also came from Hobart.

Question: Why will Tasmanians pay hundreds of dollars, travel hundreds of kilometres to watch football ?

Question: Why once did we get many many thousands to our grand finals and now we strugle to get 5000?

Questions: Why when our to bottom teams play are we lucky to get 200 people to attend?

Many reasons, the standard of football being played isnt worth paying to see, people's teams have been pulled from one league to another, teams who's skill levels were adaquite in one league are now playing way out of the depths in other leagues, teams being forced to change colours and names, teams being culled from the competition all together.

The AFL realise the big picture, Carlton, Bulldogs, Kangaroos they could all easily be let just slip away into history, but away with those clubs slide all their supporters. People wont just take up a new club after a life time of supporting their proud club. Here in Hobart, where we once had a very competative 6 team league in the 80's, we now have a chicken feed league. The administration have been quite happy to see the demise of Sandy Bay, they were happy to boot new norfolk out and see them have to change colours and name. It seems that changes are made without regard to supporters, supporters who once filled our local grounds, bringing the same tribal passions to the game as Victorians are still lucky enough to enjoy.

kick it long said:
Went over to the big island on Saturday night, went to a game. 15 on the ladder V 14, a game here we could hope to get 200 to attend. 45000 screaming tribal fans attended Saturday nights clash of the Hawks and Bombers.

Most fans attending wearing the colours of their favourite club, probably a life long love affair with the team of their choice, something these people will do probably till the day they die. Even us Tasmanians feel the need to support our teams by making the pilgramige to football mecca. And plenty of Tasmanians do go to Melbourne to watch the football, the couple sitting next to us on Saturday night also came from Hobart.

Question: Why will Tasmanians pay hundreds of dollars, travel hundreds of kilometres to watch football ?

Question: Why once did we get many many thousands to our grand finals and now we strugle to get 5000?

Questions: Why when our to bottom teams play are we lucky to get 200 people to attend?

Many reasons, the standard of football being played isnt worth paying to see, people's teams have been pulled from one league to another, teams who's skill levels were adaquite in one league are now playing way out of the depths in other leagues, teams being forced to change colours and names, teams being culled from the competition all together.

The AFL realise the big picture, Carlton, Bulldogs, Kangaroos they could all easily be let just slip away into history, but away with those clubs slide all their supporters. People wont just take up a new club after a life time of supporting their proud club. Here in Hobart, where we once had a very competative 6 team league in the 80's, we now have a chicken feed league. The administration have been quite happy to see the demise of Sandy Bay, they were happy to boot new norfolk out and see them have to change colours and name. It seems that changes are made without regard to supporters, supporters who once filled our local grounds, bringing the same tribal passions to the game as Victorians are still lucky enough to enjoy.
That's exactly how it is. Not much more needs to be said.
The very people who carried the game in many respects for over 100 years - the average supporter - has continuously been kicked in the teeth and treated like absolute dogschit by not only patronising football administrators, but the clubs as well for a number of years now - and the results (empty grounds) are now showing.

I found the way Sandy Bay was unceremoniously dumped out of the TFL without so much as thankyou or a farewell after being a very strong part of the footballing fabric of this city for so long to be an absolute disgrace.
It hardly even got an article in the paper or anything.

Same with Hobart, same with New Norfolk. No goodbyes, no nothing - just, "f~ck off see ya!"
A lot of the TFL clubs in the last 5-6 years of the Statewide League lost supporters to country clubs in my opinion because of the constant speculation over the futures of their clubs.
People got sick of it and left for good and have never come back.
The overwhelming majority of supporters don't like mergers and don't want to see the clubs they've supported all their lives running about in foreign jumpers, foreign colours and under foreign emblems - but arrogant club officials and people in charge of the sport seem to think that supporters should like it - AND EMBRACE IT!! :thumbsdown:

No thanks.

I was talking to a former Hobart president in town yesterday who asked me whether I'm ever coming back to Hobart.
My answer was a flat out NO, because I'm not interested in the Lions, I'm not interested their stupid colours or stupid little political games they play.

He then replied with that stock-standard copout line that most Hobart Lions people like to use constantly "It's still the same old Hobart Football Club"

It is - minus the colours, minus the jumper, minus the emblem, minus the old supporters, minus the characters, minus the tradition, minus the traditional Hobart values with which the club once stood for.

Same old Hobart Football Club my arse.:thumbsdown:

Like I told this bloke today - I give it 2-3 years and you will be finished, and you could've been doing a lot better had you treated everyone with respect.
But when they deliberately discredit and alienate those who have helped keep the club afloat over many years because they dared to speak up on an issue of which they felt strongly about, then that is in my opinion, the ultimate disrespect.

I never ever thought I'd live to see the day in which I, and many other ex-Hobart supporters would become Hobart-haters. I am now.
They did their dash with myself and many others a couple of years back.

Watching the Coach said:
Sounds like there is a lot of talk in Mebourne of a rumour that has the Devils not continuing with the arrangement with North Melbourne.

lets hope that the rumour is true, and that the devils don't recruit Jon Hay when the Kangas give him the flick...

My claremont sources tell me the much talked about on this thread Burns from the magpies didnt win their B&F but came runner up to Webster. Can u confirm or correct me on this Barge?

Just wondering what the thoughts are on this thread on the Hawthorn deal should the Tasmanian Government be spending this amount of Money on a Victorian Club to play games in Launceston?
Caroline Wilson
August 23, 2006 The Age Newspaper

“HAWTHORN looks set to seal its push into Tasmania with a 20-game five-year package worth an estimated $12 million to the club. The deal also will involve the Hawks signing a new major sponsor and winning unprecedented rights at Launceston's Aurora Stadium.
In a financial triumph for Jeff Kennett's administration, the Hawks are on the verge of securing the next five years with a multimillion-dollar sponsorship with the Tasmanian Government from 2007 until 2011.

As a Hawthorn supporter, I am very happy. As a person who likes to watch quality football I am happy. As a person who lives in Hobart, I am a little disapointed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

kempos_kingz_05 said:
Whats everyones thougts on the premier league finals starting this weekend??

Hopefully New Norfolk very easily and to be honest could not care less about the other game.

Go the two blues in the regional and hopefully kermandie over the sharks.

kempos_kingz_05 said:

I reckon New Norfolk easily (although i haven't seen any premier games all year, just the Boyer factor), and the other game should be close. Going up for a look, should be a fiery contest i reckon, I reckon Kingborough might just get over the line.

Useful_Idiot said:
Go the two blues in the regional and hopefully kermandie over the sharks.

I don't think Lindis will make it any further than this weekend mate. I could be wrong, but i reckon that Sorell have a bit too much talent to lose to Lindis on their home ground, Sorell by 5 goals for mine. The other game should be a highly skilled affair, but i think Dodges will prove too good and win by about 40 points. They have too much class for any other team in the comp, they would have to play very badly to lose, especially at Dodges, considering that the Mandie boys (at least the locals) have about an hour and a half drive to the game. If Dodges lose this, they are in trouble and all the cash they have spent could be for nothing.

Useful_Idiot said:
My claremont sources tell me the much talked about on this thread Burns from the magpies didnt win their B&F but came runner up to Webster. Can u confirm or correct me on this Barge?

You have good sources, Idiot.

Scott Webster won the B&F from Chris Burns so I'm told.

kempos_kingz_05 said:

According to my most reliable Clarence source, the Roos have a half dozen players out and will get flogged. Cooney won't play, Sharman playing Devils, Archer terribly underdone and Fielding possibly to not play for Clarence as well.

Eagles easily - both New Norfolk and Sorell.

Other two games - Dodges v Kermandie/Hobart v Kingborough - home teams to win close ones.

You've asked for everyone elses thoughts Kempos Kings, but we haven't heard from the almighty Clarence legend - you?

How much will you win by and why?

AFLST Premier League
Qualifying Final: New Norfolk - Clarence at Boyer Oval
Elimination Final: Hobart Lions - Kingborough at TCA Ground

Reserves Qualifying Final: Hobart Lions - Clarence at TCA Ground
Reserves Elimination Final: New Norfolk - North Hobart at Boyer Oval

Colts Qualifying Final: New Norfolk - Clarence at Boyer Oval
Colts Elimination Final: Hobart Lions - Kingborough at TCA Ground

AFLST Regional League
1st Semi Final: Sorell - Lindisfarne at Pembroke Park
2nd Semi Final: Dodges Ferry - Kermandie at Shark Park

Reserves 1st Semi Final: Dodges Ferry - Central Hawks at Shark Park
Reserves 2nd Semi Final: Sorell - Kermandie at Pembroke Park

Colts 1st Semi Final: Channel - Cygnet at Pembroke Park
Colts 2nd Semi Final: Dodges Ferry - Sorell at Shark Park

NTFL
Burnie Dockers - East Devonport at West Park
Launceston - Penguin at Windsor Park
Ulverstone - South Launceston at Ulverstone Rec. Ground
Smithton - North Launceston at Smithton Football Ground
Devonport - Wynyard at Devonport Oval
Bye: Latrobe

NTFA - Division One
Deloraine - Bridgenorth at Deloraine Racecourse Ground
Hillwood - Longford at Hillwood Rec. Ground
Scottsdale Magpies - George Town at Scottsdale Rec. Ground
Bracknell - Rocherlea at Bracknell Rec. Ground

NTFA - Division Two
Qualifying Final: Teams and Venues TBA. (Sat)
Elimination Final: Teams and Venues TBA. (Sun)

NWFA
Qualifying Final: East Ulverstone - Turners Beach
Elimination Final: Spreyton - Forth

NEFU
1st Semi Final: Bridport - Lilydale
2nd Semi Final: Scottsdale Crows - Branxholm

Old Scholars FA:
DOSA - Hutchins at Cadbury's Oval
OHA - Richmond at Geilston Bay Oval
St Virgil's - University at New Town Oval

examinerjs0.jpg

Taylor May Be Key To Blues Flag - August 25th

advocatetu2.jpg

New Blow For Higgs - August 25th
Marist, Burnie To Go Head-To-Head In NWJFU Grand Final - August 25th
Player Shortage Anger - August 24th
Ulverstone To Celebrate Glory Days - August 24th
Walters Row Set To Flare - August 24th
Game Over - August 22nd
McGuane Not Likely - August 22nd
Rest For Key Players Likely - August 22nd

logo.gif

Devil Of A Break - August 25th
Devils Stick With Policy - August 25th
Rawlings Plays Coaching Cards Carefully - August 25th
Devils Ready To Bite Bullet - August 24th
Jade's Farewell On Home Turf - August 22nd

Barge said:
According to my most reliable Clarence source, the Roos have a half dozen players out and will get flogged. Cooney won't play, Sharman playing Devils, Archer terribly underdone and Fielding possibly to not play for Clarence as well.

Eagles easily - both New Norfolk and Sorell.

Other two games - Dodges v Kermandie/Hobart v Kingborough - home teams to win close ones.
Clarence sound like they are under the pump with a few out, for that reason - and that it is at Boyer, I'll tip Norfik by 35 points.
Liarns and Kingborough will be an interesting game, Hobart Lions have a few injury worries apparently, no DiIennio amongst others according to my sources.
Apparently the Hobart reserves injury list is that long that they are battling to cobble together a side for tomorrow.
I really can't seperate them to be honest, probably Hobart by 12 points because it's at the TCA, but it wouldn't surprise to see the windmill's get up considering Hobart's injury concerns and the way they got rolled by North last week.

I reckon Sorell will pull away to win comfortably against the 'Farne, Kermandie to pull of a huge result at Shark Park. :p

Barge said:
You have good sources, Idiot.

You've asked for everyone elses thoughts Kempos Kings, but we haven't heard from the almighty Clarence legend - you?

How much will you win by and why?

Well Fielding is playing, Cooney was up their this morning but not sure bout him. Look to have his kit with him though. Realistically i think if clarences midfield can get on top they can win the game. Very hard to do though. Clarence by 2 :thumbsu:

Clarence 20 points up halfway through the 2nd quater. Did lead 45-2 at on stage. Clarence are without Dutton and Probert aswell.

Clarence are 32 points up at 3/4 time. Hobart are home against kingston. What a shame kingston are out ahh. Money cant buy everything it looks like :p

Clarence won comfortably over Norfick. Hobart smashed kingston, Dodges easy over Kermandie and Sorell ended Lindisfarnes season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back