Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must be a few $'s changing hands then, which is not at all like Kingston/Kingborough....

The tigers' poorer neighbour Channel are going along quite nicely at the moment, not a lot of recruits but some of the existing players hae shown a lot of improvement, which is a great sign for the club. They are holding an Aquathon on the 25th of Feb which should be a good bonding session for the boys and a chance for the public to get behind their club. Things are starting to look quite promising at Snug, carn the sainters!!!

How's the ol' boy Diamond Des Minehan going down there Jelly?
Still kickin?

How's the ol' boy Diamond Des Minehan going down there Jelly?
Still kickin?

Haven't seen old Diamond much this year. He was at training a couple of weeks ago, but hasn't been spotted much. He is still chugging along, although his health is not very good these days. he missed 2 games last year, 2 of only 3 he has missed in about 40 years. He is a great fella old Diamond, pity there aren't more around with his passion. He was granted life membership last year (he was not previously granted it due to never playing or being on the committee) at the dinner. To not make him suspicious the organisers told him that they were short on numbers and asked him to try and get a table together to help the club out. When he received the LM he broke down, it was one of the most emotional moments I have ever experienced, there was not a dry eye in the place when he got up there. Anyone that knows Des loves the man, hopefully he has many years left in him cause he is a very big part of the club, purely due to his passion and love for the club. Unfortunately people like him are a dying breed in Tassie footy.

he still leads the club song, standing in the middle conducting the lads. Hopefully we can get a few wins in this season so we can see him in there...

last saw old dessie was when i dropped a crayfish in before xmas, seemed to be ok, had a ulcer on his foot which restricted his mobility but he was keen for the footy season to start!.

Still loves talking about the time he won that bet against an abalone diver who was supporting huonville, apparently channel was down a fair bit at 3/4 time, the ab diver was gloating, so dessie challenged him to a bet (not sure exactly how much but it was around 700 dollars), of course the cocky accepted it, channel came back in the fourth quarter and won.

Dessie certainly made the ab diver pay up and rubbed it right in his face!

Haven't seen old Diamond much this year. He was at training a couple of weeks ago, but hasn't been spotted much. He is still chugging along, although his health is not very good these days. he missed 2 games last year, 2 of only 3 he has missed in about 40 years. He is a great fella old Diamond, pity there aren't more around with his passion. He was granted life membership last year (he was not previously granted it due to never playing or being on the committee) at the dinner. To not make him suspicious the organisers told him that they were short on numbers and asked him to try and get a table together to help the club out. When he received the LM he broke down, it was one of the most emotional moments I have ever experienced, there was not a dry eye in the place when he got up there. Anyone that knows Des loves the man, hopefully he has many years left in him cause he is a very big part of the club, purely due to his passion and love for the club. Unfortunately people like him are a dying breed in Tassie footy.

he still leads the club song, standing in the middle conducting the lads. Hopefully we can get a few wins in this season so we can see him in there...

Ahh that's great to hear :thumbsu: :thumbsu: :thumbsu:
Champion old bloke, used to always join us at the bar up the TCA Clubrooms after Channel would play Hobie up there.
Got a bloody good collection of footy cards he showed us one night up there.
A dying breed of footy fan down here unfortunately, through my years that I supported Hobart, I saw heaps and heaps of people like that at all clubs slowly but surely drift away.
Blokes like him make footy more enjoyable I reckon.

Totally unrelated to this thread, but TigerFan - do you still play cricket for the St Annes Scumbags?!

I've had to work virtually every weekend since Christmas, so I haven't had the chance to wield the willow in quite some time

if I could get a god damned weekend off, you'd be seeing a lot more of me on the cricket fields of Southern Tasmania :thumbsu:

had the chance to attend my first TFLUA training session of the year on Tuesday night though - won't mention half of the things I've heard/seen in the off-season, suffice to say that some things never change :D

Saw an article in the paper yesterday where there is considerable outrage from people connected with the Sandy Bay Junior Football Club after an AFL Tasmania edict that Sandy Bay U/17's will no longer be allowed to participate in the AFLST Youth League and their players must join the Hobart Lions Football Club.
This is because Sandy Bay doesn't have a 'Premier League' team, and therefore according to AFL Tasmania, being unable to 'create a pathway' for their juniors, they have officially instructed the players to join the Lions.
I had it on very good authority that Sandy Bay Junior FC people are not overly enamoured with the Hobart Lions because of previous dealings with the club and didn't want anything to do with the club.
Well AFL Tasmania's forced them too now!
I remember posting something about this awhile ago now, that the Lions wanted to merge theirs and Sandy Bay's Juniors together under the Hobart Lions banner because they were struggling and Wade wasn't happy with Hobart Lions continuous relying on St Virgil's for junior talent.

If the juniors merge, wonder how long it'll be before you see the Colts, Reserves and Seniors integrate a certain 'Sandy Bay flavour' in to the club?

Hobart-Sandy Bay Lions? :eek:

Rumor has it that big Bear Robinson is in talks with Brighton and is chasing some $$$$$$. North Hobart would have to be dirty on this after thinking he would be a certainty to return there.

Saw an article in the paper yesterday where there is considerable outrage from people connected with the Sandy Bay Junior Football Club after an AFL Tasmania edict that Sandy Bay U/17's will no longer be allowed to participate in the AFLST Youth League and their players must join the Hobart Lions Football Club.
This is because Sandy Bay doesn't have a 'Premier League' team, and therefore according to AFL Tasmania, being unable to 'create a pathway' for their juniors, they have officially instructed the players to join the Lions.
I had it on very good authority that Sandy Bay Junior FC people are not overly enamoured with the Hobart Lions because of previous dealings with the club and didn't want anything to do with the club.
I remember posting something about this awhile ago now, that the Lions wanted to merge theirs and Sandy Bay's Juniors together under the Hobart Lions banner because they were struggling and Wade wasn't happy with Hobart Lions continuous relying on St Virgil's for junior talent.

If the juniors merge, wonder how long it'll be before you see the Colts, Reserves and Seniors integrate a certain 'Sandy Bay flavour' in to the club?

Yeh i read this in the paper kingpin and it was a very interesting article. I think AFL Tas' decision is spot on as they stopped St.Virgil's participation in the juniors a few years back because there was no senior pathway. Its only fear that the same should be for Sandy Bay. Spoke to a few hobart ppl and they are excited about the prospect of some young s'bay talent hopefully joining the club and feel it can only be posotve for the club as even if one player joins thats better then before the arrangement occured.

The club has just returned from a training camp on Bruny island ova the weekend. Apparently around 30 were on the trip and activities included hikes, orientiering, beach flag, ironman, running timetrials and some footy training thrown in there. It seems Lampril has the TasKeno Lions certainly heading in the right direction

I'm sorry but the decision to force the Sandy Bay U/17's to merge with Hobart is a disgrace. The Sandy Bay Junior Football Club has worked tirelessly for many years to bring the club to an extremely strong position. When the senior club folded it would have been incredibly easy for the juniors to fold with them but thanks to the hard work of parents and friends of the club they turned a once struggling junior club into the strongest in Southern Tasmania, if not Tasmania or even further afield. And all those years of hard work just to be taken out in a single swipe and told you are to merge? This is Scott Wade at his best, which as many in Tasmania would agree is very detrimental to the game.

In the article what particuarly got to me was Wade labelling the team 'just 25 players'. This is a blatent admission that he cares not for the people who play our beloved sport whatsoever. The 25 players who comprise the SB U/17's are 25 people who love their club and I can tell you are absolutely gutted by the sudden taking away of something they love so much. And whats more, it's not just 25 people affected. It's all the families of those 25 people, it's all the committed people involved with the club, it's the hundreds of young kids who were hoping to one day play for the team. Just 25 players, how dare he make such a statement.

The team could not be in a better position both on and off the field so you cannot blame anything on this. I know teams in the past have folded and affected many more people, however those teams were simply in trouble and were no longer viable. That is certainly not the case here, in fact it's the exact opposite. From memory the team has not lost a game in two years. Another issue that Scott Wade cannot handle but will not admit in public.

The best part for me though is that the plan will fail. Not one player who currently plays for the SB U/17's turned out for a Hobart meeting in relation to this debacle. If they think by removing the team these boys love and telling them they now play for someone completely different that all of a sudden some of the best young talent in Southern Tasmania will be representing Hobart and all will be well then thay can think again. Basically, those 'just 25 players' are 25 people who now have a hate for all things to do with the whole concept and will do anything but comply.

If this is how AFL Tas (Scott Wade) rewards committed, hard working, excellent junior footballers who exemplify all that I am sure the AFL itself would love to see in a junior football team then really what are they doing running the game.

my word is some of the better sandy bay boys may be heading to north hobart instead of being forced into playing for the lions !

I'm sorry but the decision to force the Sandy Bay U/17's to merge with Hobart is a disgrace. The Sandy Bay Junior Football Club has worked tirelessly for many years to bring the club to an extremely strong position. When the senior club folded it would have been incredibly easy for the juniors to fold with them but thanks to the hard work of parents and friends of the club they turned a once struggling junior club into the strongest in Southern Tasmania, if not Tasmania or even further afield. And all those years of hard work just to be taken out in a single swipe and told you are to merge? This is Scott Wade at his best, which as many in Tasmania would agree is very detrimental to the game.

In the article what particuarly got to me was Wade labelling the team 'just 25 players'. This is a blatent admission that he cares not for the people who play our beloved sport whatsoever. The 25 players who comprise the SB U/17's are 25 people who love their club and I can tell you are absolutely gutted by the sudden taking away of something they love so much. And whats more, it's not just 25 people affected. It's all the families of those 25 people, it's all the committed people involved with the club, it's the hundreds of young kids who were hoping to one day play for the team. Just 25 players, how dare he make such a statement.

The team could not be in a better position both on and off the field so you cannot blame anything on this. I know teams in the past have folded and affected many more people, however those teams were simply in trouble and were no longer viable. That is certainly not the case here, in fact it's the exact opposite. From memory the team has not lost a game in two years. Another issue that Scott Wade cannot handle but will not admit in public.

The best part for me though is that the plan will fail. Not one player who currently plays for the SB U/17's turned out for a Hobart meeting in relation to this debacle. If they think by removing the team these boys love and telling them they now play for someone completely different that all of a sudden some of the best young talent in Southern Tasmania will be representing Hobart and all will be well then thay can think again. Basically, those 'just 25 players' are 25 people who now have a hate for all things to do with the whole concept and will do anything but comply.

If this is how AFL Tas (Scott Wade) rewards committed, hard working, excellent junior footballers who exemplify all that I am sure the AFL itself would love to see in a junior football team then really what are they doing running the game.

The SANDY BAY Football Club should ensure NONE of thier players head to Hobart and instead go to other Premier League clubs of thier choice , possibly as close to home as the can.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

logo-home.gif

10/2/2007: Fury At Footy Shut-Down: Under-17 Ban Dooms Elite Club
By Brett Stubbs

Angry Sandy Bay Junior Football Club parents have come out firing after the club's top team, the Under-17's, was told it would have to fold and its players join the Hobart Football Club.

Mark Edwards - whose son was hoping to continue in the competition this season - received a letter from AFL Tasmania informing him Sandy Bay's under-17's would not be admitted into the Premier League under 17's competition.
"Effectively, this will be the covert destruction of the Sandy Bay Junior Football Club," Mr Edwards said.
But AFL Tasmania General Manager Scott Wade was making no excuses for the hardline stance.
He said the change was brought in after the running of the competition was handed over from AFL Tasmania to the Southern Premier League.
Only clubs with Premier League seniors are allowed to enter the under-17's.
"We believe a partnership with the Hobart Football Club provides the Sandy Bay people with something they currently haven't got - a pathway to a senior club because there is no pathway at Sandy Bay beyond under-17's," Wade said.
"With the opportunity of a partnership with Hobart, that provides a pathway and the people at the Hobart Football Club are very willing to discuss that and consider that."
"The Sandy Bay Junior Football Club is not a Premier League club."

Wade said it was a matter of looking at the big picture.
"There are 32,000 people who play the game in Tasmania", he said, "The Sandy Bay under-17 group represent 25 of those."
"From AFL Tasmania's perspective this is about establishing the best and most appropriate pathway for young players from Auskick all the way through to senior football."
"This is one of those occasions where a decision has been made and it will not be changed".

But Mr Edwards said this could push a number of young players away from club junior football and play only at school level.
"For some bureaucratic concept that has existed in AFL Tasmania and among the clubs, the most successful junior club in Australia - as cited by (SFL Chairman) Roger Viney at the Grand Final last year - will be severely compromised," Mr Edwards said.
"The club is community based, it fosters decent human beings as well as developing good football skills.
"It promotes, in a family situation, the development of really good young people who remain connected with the club.
"We are over-subscribed at any level and without any consultation with the commmunity or any consideration of the notion of junior football development they have done this".

The SANDY BAY Football Club should ensure NONE of thier players head to Hobart and instead go to other Premier League clubs of thier choice , possibly as close to home as the can.

Get over yourself mate, the loss of teams in the junior comp has been happening alot recently. Wade about 4 years ago swiped all school teams from the youth league. St.Virgil's and Hutchins too incredibly proud and traditional football institutions were told they could no longer be represented in the comp. Do u think that didnt hurt those schools and the ppl who hav been associated with them. Of course it did but as much as i dislike wade and his men i think the structure that means all teams have a pathway from auskick to seniors is a very good one. If those snooty nosed sandy bay ppl dont wanna conform then ******** them right out of the competion completly. I dont know why they hav been allowed to continue without a senior side for the last few years anyway. If those players dont wanna play for hobart or north or clarence who cares, im sure they wont giv up on football..... If they are gunna be so precious and intolerable and they sound then who would want such arrogant youngsters involved in their club!!!!

sandy bay juniors are made up of mainly Hutchins players from different regions and they should be playing for there local clubs not been forced to play at sandy bay by the school.

Please note. I am an active reader of this forum but have rarely been motivated to make comment.

In regard to Sandy bay juniors, they don't have a senior side - fact. But for S. Wade to suggest those players move to Hobart is simply arrogent.

Hi "role" is to promote football not Hobart, not Clarance, not Lauderdale - but football. These kids will find somewhere to go after the juniors but pushing a team to another club is not on.

Simply arrogent & consistently poor form from that individual.

Get over yourself mate, the loss of teams in the junior comp has been happening alot recently. Wade about 4 years ago swiped all school teams from the youth league. St.Virgil's and Hutchins too incredibly proud and traditional football institutions were told they could no longer be represented in the comp. Do u think that didnt hurt those schools and the ppl who hav been associated with them. Of course it did but as much as i dislike wade and his men i think the structure that means all teams have a pathway from auskick to seniors is a very good one. If those snooty nosed sandy bay ppl dont wanna conform then ******** them right out of the competion completly. I dont know why they hav been allowed to continue without a senior side for the last few years anyway. If those players dont wanna play for hobart or north or clarence who cares, im sure they wont giv up on football..... If they are gunna be so precious and intolerable and they sound then who would want such arrogant youngsters involved in their club!!!!

You have missed the point I was trying to make,I was saying do not accept AFL Tas direction as we still live in a free country not some DICTATORSHIP.

Ohh well at least sandy bay wont be able to have their 7 or so 19 year olds playing 17's every weekend. Its the only reason the 17's have been as strong as they have been because they are allowed to do this. It'll bring them right back to the field.

Ohh well at least sandy bay wont be able to have their 7 or so 19 year olds playing 17's every weekend. Its the only reason the 17's have been as strong as they have been because they are allowed to do this. It'll bring them right back to the field.

Thats not true.. anyway lets move on its the best decision for th league no doubt about that not all the players coming through that team will go to old scholers they may play premier league

Has anyone heard if Sean Salter is at Brighton or Kermandie? He apparently took the sign on fee from Brighton didn't sign and went to Kermandie.
Any news on Sorell or Dodges? Both have been quiet, very unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back