Tasmanian Football Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only are they making nine complete new footy clubs but they expect people to go and watch them. How long does it stay viable when no one is attending games.
Wonder when they will ask the people that pay to watch what they think would make the game better?

Wade and Co should go down the path of Breen and other idiots. All for the elite and nothing for the real fans of the game.

Todd Lewis actually played with North before coming to Hobart. This is where he played all his junior footy.
Cheers for clearing that up. :thumbsu:

SamSwan said:
Steve Gillbee also left the club at the of 1996 with the player walk out against John Thurley and Dick Mulligan, but returned to be a very good coach.
He did indeed - and lets face it, you couldn't blame them for walking.
Thurley was arrogant, but it was Mulligan I took an instant dislike too - still can't stand him.
Was the best shape the club had been in since the Browning era when Plover had charge up there, was a great place to be around too. :)

SamSwan said:
They manner in which Todd played (a bit dirty) certainly did not him endear him to being the most liked guy going around, but he was always well enough liked by Hobart people when he played there.
Ahh no. Yeah he could do a few things on field that might've made him a bit of an object of dislike from opposition supporters but, it wasn't anything about his onfield demeanour that made him disliked up at Hobart - not at all - it was a few other troubles he'd apparently stirred up when he was there.
I only met him probably twice in the whole time he was there and never had a problem with him, but there were quite a few that really disliked him.
I served on one of the sub-committees up there at the time, and it's all I ever used to hear about.
Coley (Mark Colegrave) was another that used to cop it a bit from some sections of the club, but I was thought he was a great bloke, still stops and has a good chat whenever I bump into him around the place :thumbsu:

SamSwan said:
Todd Lewis would be as a good an appointment of any of the current available coaches in Hobart, I hope he takes it.
That's if he actually wants the job though. He needs to get a start somewhere, might as well be Hobart I s'pose.
It'll be a tough initiation though with the loss of so many players.
I hear from somebody that should know all about it, that it's probably close to half the playing list - and this person was one of them.

It appears they aren't actually creating new clubs, but want existing clubs to field a fourth (statewide) team while remaining in the SFL in the south; or moving to NTFA/NWFU in the north. Or at least that's the case with the Launceston clubs, according to The Examiner.
Not quite the same disaster, but still 99.5% of the disaster. I'm all for a return to a state league, but not one that would place further demands on clubs and further decrease the player pool for suburban and country footy - where clubs are struggling for numbers. And not one where 51% of the population (the north) provide 67% (rounded) of the teams. Why not 4-2-2?

Its obvious the AFL has had a hand in this, it simply has no correlation with reality.

State League team clusters:

1.Team 1 North-West – incorporating NTFL Clubs Burnie, Wynyard
and Smithton.

2.Team 2 North-West – incorporating NTFL Clubs Ulverstone and
Penguin.

3.Team 3 North-West – incorporating NTFL Clubs Devonport, East
Devonport and Latrobe.

4.Team 1 North – incorporating proposed and existing NTFA Clubs
Launceston, Deloraine and Prospect.

5.Team 2 North – incorporating proposed and existing NTFA Clubs
North Launceston, Georgetown and Scottsdale.

6.Team 3 North – incorporating proposed and existing NTFA Clubs
South Launceston and Longford.

7.Team 1 South – incorporating SFL Clubs Glenorchy, New Norfolk
and Brighton.

8.Team 2 South – incorporating SFL Clubs North Hobart, Hobart-
Sandy Bay and Kingborough.

9.Team 3 South – incorporating SFL Clubs Clarence and
Lauderdale.

Oh dear.

I have one thing to say.

'We're the pride of Southern Districts,
We're known as the Southern Cats....

jesus christ :eek:

AFL Tas has missed the entire point of why people go to the footy nowadays. People don't go down to the local oval to watch a great game of footy. If they wanted that, they'd stay home and watch the AFL on the telly.

No, people switch the telly off and go down to their local ground because they have a sense of pride. They want to watch the team they grew up watching, the team their dad used to play for, the team they played their junior footy with.

If you create 9 new clubs, you're taking all of that away. Nobody will watch them. We'll stay at home on Saturday afternoon and watch the AFL instead, at least then you'd be watching clubs with some history and tradition.

If you take away local pride, you're leaving us with nothing at all.

NOTHING.

how about this for an idea????

In the South there are 18 senior teams in Premier and Regional.
Split them into three x 6.

PREMIER
Glenorchy, Nth Hob, Clarence, New Norfolk, Hobart, Lauderdale.

Div 2
Kingborugh, Brighton, Huonville, Central Hawks, Claremont , Lindisfarne

Div 3
Cygnet, Kermandie, Channel, Sorrell, Dodges, Triabunna

Relegation between div 2 and div 3. Bottom 2 go down top two go up.

If you want to play in the best comp the good talent is spread between 6 teams and not 8. The best pleyers would have to play in one of those 6 teams if they want to play the best footy.

2 weeks after local grand finals, have a state grand final. Premier, div2 and div 3 all on the one day, seniors only.

Imagine Glenorchy v Launceston, Kermandie v Georgetown etc.....

Bring back the North v South parochialism.... ahhh the days when footy was strong. Pre statewide days.

I like that idea The Lion :thumbsu:
About time they used the hate to some sort of advantage I say.

PS: Tiger Fan - I take it you're a fan of Detroit Rock City?
I love that fillum :D

jesus christ :eek:

AFL Tas has missed the entire point of why people go to the footy nowadays. People don't go down to the local oval to watch a great game of footy. If they wanted that, they'd stay home and watch the AFL on the telly.

No, people switch the telly off and go down to their local ground because they have a sense of pride. They want to watch the team they grew up watching, the team their dad used to play for, the team they played their junior footy with.

If you create 9 new clubs, you're taking all of that away. Nobody will watch them. We'll stay at home on Saturday afternoon and watch the AFL instead, at least then you'd be watching clubs with some history and tradition.

If you take away local pride, you're leaving us with nothing at all.

NOTHING.
Spot on Tigerfan.
When it comes down to it though what are Wade and co. going to do to force the clubs into it. They can't stop football in the state. The Northern leagues to my knowledge don't get AFL Tas funding anyway having refused to sign up for it when the demands from AFLTas in return for it were too high.
Do they own the names, colours and songs?(not sure on that one)

When it comes to the proposed Statewide league where is the funding going to come from for the extra trainers, umpires, groundskeepers, timekeepers, runners, kiosk staff, match managers etc. They will have to pay someone because all the volunteers will already be working for their clubs and going by the interstate recruits they are signing up to play for the Devils they won't have much left over(Why are we signing up interstate players when the Roos alliance was canned to make room for Tasmanian talent)
What grounds will they use? If they are proposing to play on the same day as regular matches there will definitely be a shortage of umpires and grounds. Knowing AFL Tas they will make the "lesser" league play on a Sunday along with the Juniors.

Excuse me for thinking sensibly (God knows I don't do it too often) but for argument's sake let's say Wilbur35 and I are in our prime and the "Statewide" club of our area wants the better of the two players - ie ME - to play for the Statewide club.

I for argument's sake say "Go and get f....! I wanna play for Glenorchy!'

What happens to this fantastic Statewide League then?

Heard the other day from a reliable source Joker Barwick is staying at Brighton for an increase from $400 a game in 2007 to SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS A GAME for season 2008!

Like the Jokers of the world could give a flying f... about a Statewide League if this kind of coin is on offer!

He should have tried his luck as OHA!

Plenty of money floating around over there!

Speaking of over that way, word has it Justin Rainbird has gone to Lindisfarne for $300 a game!

These kind of figures would have been deleted from the old rumour mill on the SFL website in it's prime!

You're very quiet Menza! Any comment on these figures?!

Will they be able to afford to pay you?!

Excuse me for thinking sensibly (God knows I don't do it too often) but for argument's sake let's say Wilbur35 and I are in our prime and the "Statewide" club of our area wants the better of the two players - ie ME - to play for the Statewide club.

Heard the other day from a reliable source Joker Barwick is staying at Brighton for an increase from $400 a game in 2007 to SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS A GAME for season 2008!

Like the Jokers of the world could give a flying f... about a Statewide League if this kind of coin is on offer!

Speaking of over that way, word has it Justin Rainbird has gone to Lindisfarne for $300 a game!

These kind of figures would have been deleted from the old rumour mill on the SFL website in it's prime!

On last seasons performances Barwick should be paying Brighton $200 a game to play not get an increase. Why do the League put Salary Caps in place and let teams blatently breach them? SFL get some credibility, show some balls, and enforce the rules or abolish them,as you are doing nothing at the moment except look like complete incompetent fools

Why do the League put Salary Caps in place and let teams blatently breach them? SFL get some credibility, show some balls, and enforce the rules or abolish them,as you are doing nothing at the moment except look like complete incompetent fools
That's always been a laugh that rule. :cool:
Kermandie 2000 and the UTT Tigers are a couple that spring to mind over the stretch and there'd no doubt be others.
Policed by Officer Barbrady - 'Nothing to see heeeeeeeeere!'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do they own the names, colours and songs?(not sure on that one)
No they don't thankfully.
Although you'd think some of the clubs think they own them and act like Eddie when it comes to them.
roorat said:
Knowing AFL Tas they will make the "lesser" league play on a Sunday along with the Juniors.
With all these extra players this new league will have to have to run alongside the ''Lesser'' leagues it'll give AFL Tasmania the chance to finally prove once and for all whether or not we really have as many players participating in the sport here like they always seem to claim.

"The participation rate is the highest it's ever been here..."

Or it'll prove once and for all that they are full of shit and that most of these player numbers they speak of are in fact Auskick participants, mainly little boys and girls having an organised halftime runabout which would boost numbers and make the sport more attractive for ASC funding (do they receive that? I would think so)

I tell ya what, I don't think I've ever been more fucked off with footy down here than I am now.
I look at the sad state of Hobart and the state of the local game in general and its leadership :thumbsdown:

PS: Evvo - I think Lewis will be signed as coach man.
'Polpot' Baker seems to be telling all and sundry that he will be and Dale (sp) Gorringe will be his assistant coach.

No they don't thankfully.
With all these extra players this new league will have to have to run alongside the ''Lesser'' leagues it'll give AFL Tasmania the chance to finally prove once and for all whether or not we really have as many players participating in the sport here like they always seem to claim.

"The participation rate is the highest it's ever been here..."

Or it'll prove once and for all that they are full of shit and that most of these player numbers they speak of are in fact Auskick participants, mainly little boys and girls having an organised halftime runabout which would boost numbers and make the sport more attractive for ASC funding (do they receive that? I would think so)
According to Wikepedia;
In 2007, there were 4,500 senior players and a total of 32,138 participants in Aussie Rules in Tasmania. A total participation per capita of 5% is the second-highest participation in the country

I've found these things that State wide footy stuffed last time, will we have a footy culture if we let them do it again?

North Launceston Robins lost their identity and became the Bombers
East Launceston Redlegs merged with City-South to become the South Launceston Bulldogs.
North Hobart would end 118-years of tradition and rename themselves as the 'Hobart' Demons, New Norfolk would change their name to the Derwent Eagles to go with the Devonport Blues who changed their identity to Devonport Power in 1996.
Devonport Football Club joined the league and adopted the emblem Blues and a navy blue playing strip owing to a clash with Glenorchy.
Cooee Football Club from the NWFU gazumped the Burnie Tigers from the same Association and joined the TFL and rebranded itself as the Burnie Hawks - starting a war between the two clubs that would damage both and later lead to them merging.
Between 1989 and 1994 Hobart, Sandy Bay, Glenorchy, Burnie Hawks and New Norfolk had all faced financial ruin at some point and in the ensuing years would be joined by North Hobart, Devonport and the Burnie Dockers - a merged entity of the old Burnie Hawks and NTFL club Burnie Tigers that joined forces in 1995 - in a battle to stay afloat under burgeoning debts, increasing costs and dwindling attendances.
Sandy Bay Football Club, by then insolvent, was wound up by its directors and went out of existence in late 1997

The Southern Districts Football Club (Southern Cats) was given a license to join the TFL in 1998
Many believed the Southern Cats were a re-branded Sandy Bay as it had the same playing list, mostly the same supporters and same colours (albeit in a different style) - the Cats, with no notable home base and no particular culture had some brief moments of success, winning the Coca Cola Challenge pre-season cup in 1999 but midway through that season the club would be wound up by administrators and close down

I'm sure there are many other instances, you others can add to the list. No wonder supporters are so disillusioned with footy and the attendances fell, I wouldn't be going either if my club was eaten up by AFL Tas' hunger for glory

Speaking of big dollars, word has it that the Clark brothers from North Hobart will be signing for Claremont next year for $400 a game each.

First I've heard of them joining the 'Mont.

Although after the Premier League Reserves Grand Final I know they were keen on a "Big 6 foot 5 c..." which sounds like one of if not both of them.

Will see what I can find out.

As for Todd Lewis, knowing what a front runner he is - ie leaving Hobart at the end of 1996 and Brighton at the end of 2001 - having read that Mercury article the other day I'd be surprised if he didn't end up taking the easy option and sitting next to Bolton for the year at Clarence.

Rumour has it Robbie devine and Luke Curtain have been told that if they want to play senior football next season they must drop a combined weight of 20kg! Good luck boys!

Heard a little whisper last week that may interest some of you blokes, that Damian McIver is headed to the demons for the 2008 season!

Rumour has it Robbie devine and Luke Curtain have been told that if they want to play senior football next season they must drop a combined weight of 20kg! Good luck boys!

Thats interesting chicken dancer cos i heard that young Luke has been offered the captaincy of the fat camp first 18

Monday, 5 November 2007
10 reasons why the Statewide league will fail ... and how to fix it THE latest plans for a Tasmanian State league have

competition to start in 2009. Senior sports writer ANGUS LIVINGSTON examines the proposal and gives 10 reasons why it will fail.
He also puts forward a radical proposal that could ensure the league is successful and sustainable.
1. FINANCES: The old Statewide League clubs went broke trying to stay in the competition - and what's changed? Crowd sizes are unlikely to grow, sponsors are thin on the ground, and the AFL is soaking up the consumer dollar. There is not enough money to go around.
Solution? Each club must have a detailed budget, examined by an independent financial body, with severe penalties for over-spending.
2. QUALITY: The State league will struggle to attract decent interstate coaches, as they already head to the top-tier VFL, SANFL or WAFL. All it will do is take the best local coaches and put them in charge of better teams, leaving a vacuum in the lower tiers. That will not improve the players, or provide a better game to watch.
Solution? AFL Tasmania needs to provide incentives to attract top quality coaches, showing them they can build a promising career by coaching in Tasmania.
3. LACK OF SUPPORTERS: The crowds aren't coming to the footy anymore. Clubs can't survive unless they can get people through the gates. And which players will want to play in front of empty stadiums?
Solution? Big names. And innovative marketing. The names put bums on seats, and some clever young things at advertising agencies can work on getting the crowds in. Getting schoolkids along for free would be a start.
4. AFL DOMINANCE: The saturation levels of AFL coverage will keep fans at home watching TV. Devils and Hawthorn games will also draw the crowds away from the locals.
Solution? Less AFL games are being played in traditional Saturday afternoon timeslots. State league games must be scheduled with AFL and VFL games in mind.
5. LACK OF CLUB HISTORY: The proposed Coastal State league clubs will be created out of nothing, meaning their players won't have the necessary passion to fight for the jumper, nor will fans have any historical reason to support them.
Solution? Link the new clubs to previous ones. Whether it's the Devonport Blues or Power, or even the Burnie Bulldogs - acknowledging Cooee, it would give the players something to relate to.
6. TOO MANY CLUBS: With Hawthorn, the Devils, NTFL, NTFA and SFL, as well as country footy clubs, all competing with the State league, there is going to be an issue with player numbers, sponsorships and supporters.
Solution? Dump a tier. It's a hard call, but the State cannot support that many senior and reserves football teams.
7. LAST TIME: Once bitten, twice shy clubs may not be willing to go all out for the State league in case it all goes pear-shaped again. There is a clear lack of trust between AFL Tasmania and many of the State's major football organisations.
Solution? Trust can only be won back over a period of time. AFL Tasmania needs to be consistent in its decision making and stay for the long haul. It also needs to listen to the game's stakeholders rather than preaching from on high.
8. VOLUNTEERS: Where are they coming from? Clubs around the State are already hard-pressed to fill boards and canteen committees. No one is going to give up their time for the love of a club that has existed for two weeks.
Solution? Unless entire groups of volunteers move across from existing clubs, finding the necessary people will be a struggle.
9. AFL TASMANIA'S COMMITMENT: The last six years have seen the Tasmanian Devils come first. The State league cannot afford to be left to itself, especially in its first five years. The league will fail without a strong commitment from AFL Tasmania.
Solution? A strong change in priorities at AFL Tasmania HQ. The Devils will benefit from having a strong State league.
10. IT'S TOO SOON: There is not enough detail worked out yet, and not enough time to make sure everything is in place. Clubs need to be built, and one year will fly by.
Solution? Delay the league's introduction until 2010, giving the clubs and AFL Tasmania more time to bed down the issues.
http://nwtasmania.yourguide.com.au/...or-a-tasmanian-state-league-have/1080604.html

Thats interesting chicken dancer cos i heard that young Luke has been offered the captaincy of the fat camp first 18

Heard that one on the grapevine 2 bigsby...
is it true about fast food vouchers being incentives instead of cash??

Sorry for the late reply Barge,
But apparently I have been too busy throwing money around town!:)

As I have told you in the past i reserve the right to "No Comment" when it comes to Lindisfarne but what I am prepared to say is that I have no input into a players salary. (that's between the head coach, the committee and the player)

They only give me what they get out the beer ticket machine, if they had one.

My personal opinion is that there would not be too many players floating about that you would pay more than $150 a game but I can only assume players get large amounts of money because of a perception of what that player can bring to a club. Be it right or wrong.

Kingpin said:
PS: Evvo - I think Lewis will be signed as coach man.
'Polpot' Baker seems to be telling all and sundry that he will be and Dale (sp) Gorringe will be his assistant coach.
Just a bit more on that topic, apparently the club was supposed to have signed Lewis officially last night.
Whether they actually have done or not, I'm not sure as I haven't heard anything further.
If true, I'll elaborate on a few things later. Suffice to say, it isn't a particularly popular idea.

I was told by a close associate of a commiteeman at Hobart that Todd Lewis signed yesterday, for an undisclosed fee.He also told me they had stolen him from under the nose of another club, who Lewis had been working for over the last few weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back