Tasmanian Premier slams 'uncommitted' Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

We would still get the same tourism benefit if we weren't your sponsor.:rolleyes: Hawks fans from the VIC would still travel down here to watch, sponsorship or not.

Hello Mr Premier, didn't realise that you posted on Big Footy.

Don't worry - your secretary might be able to explain financial benefit to you.

Half wit.

The more that I think about this the more it is a storm in a tea cup. The Tasmanian premier has already indicated that he is about to enter into negotiations with Hawthorn for a new deal beyond 2011. He is being sensible and trying to put himself in the best negotiating position possible by upping the ante.
When it was previously suggested in Tasmania that the Hawthorn deal be dropped there was such a backlash that the government started worrying about votes especially in northern Tasmania.
As I said before. Let the dice roll. If I am wrong and the deal turns sour I'd be sorry but we have a strong base in Victoria

I'm confused because when North Melbourne announced an interest to play in Hobart, the Tasmanian Government said they wouldn't support it because they were committed to Hawthorn .... now this? It seems to me the word "committed" is being thrown around freely without anyone fully understanding what it means.

It seems to me that both parties need to expalin to each other what they hope to achieve from the deal, and if they cannot agree, then they must part ways.

If this happens, then I hope Tasmania makes it abundantly clear to any prospective new clubs playing in Tassie exactly what they expect from them, and enter into a contract. As mentioned before, when this deal was struck, I cannot recall any mention of Hawthorn's intention to eventually relocate. The way Hawthorn's Melbourne membership base was travelling at the time, it would have been a silly thing to be looking at anyway.

I believe that if what Slayer has quoted in the plebiscite thread is correct then the HFC needs to reassess where it is at with this sponsorship before the Vlad and Bartlett start to become bff and the hawks find themselves on the receiving end of unfavourable fixturing (similar to the treatment North receives) and they end up becoming more and more reliant on alternative fixturing to make a buck than they do from there home ground the MCG.

While I understand all the grandstanding that Bartlett is making there is also enough within that grandstanding that makes me uneasy. If they (the AFL and Tasmania) wish to have a club relocate then let's just end the sponsorship deal now, let North and the Dogs play at Auroa with the AFL paying their way (like they do now) and let Tassie reap the benefit from the tourism from those two clubs with the view that either one of them become the future club for Tasmania

The more I hear from each side the more I fear that we will be playing 5 regular season and 1 pre-season game in the next deal.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

That would NOT go down well with the majority of the 40k Melbourne based members!

It is important then, that all members in Melbourne let Mr Kennett and the HFC Board know exactly how they feel BEFORE the talks get underway, no point just posting about it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL hold the trump cards. They decide the fixture. The Hawthorn move has been such a success the AFL will back Hawthorn in Launceston and North in Hobart. Its a club competition...not a state competition. I'm a Victorian....Collingwood or Carlton or Essendon etc etc do not represent me they represent their own supporters whether those supporters live in Darwin, Melbourne or Uppercumbukta West.

I think a lot of people are not understanding what is going on.

Its politics right???

If politicians are involved we know there is plenty of B.S attached.

The original government that did the deal with hawthorn has copped a lot backlash over the journey in the media for not consulting the Tassie community, blah blah blah. People like Tim lan writing weekly articles have made it very difficult for Bartlett to just sign a deal off like they did previously.

Bartlett is just making sure the public can hear him pretend to be making some noise about him looking at all avenues so he is not accused of being in bed with J.K again.

Heres the thing-

Would i be upset if we lost the Tsssie deal and played more games in Melbourne? NO.

The people it would hurt the most is the 10,000 Tassie members who have invested money and time over the past 5 years learning the Hawthorn way and becoming a part of it.

The more I hear from each side the more I fear that we will be playing 5 regular season and 1 pre-season game in the next deal.:thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Whats worse, i suspect it will be for pretty much the same money as now.

Which means one game less in melbourne nd the earning potential.

Jeff has almost committed tothis so would lose a lot of face by pulling out - we will get 'justification' galore form HFC (like when they palyed in the gold coast stadium) but the truth is the HFC- tassie partnership has passed its high point.

-we got 0 out of 4 games FTA live in melbourne.

-the crowd growth seem to have flattened out at 16/17,000
(taswegians getting familiar or less victorians wanting to make the trip - who knows?)

-despite this we have put money in ourselves to increase the size above 20,000

- at the same time MCG crowds and reserved seats growing hugely

shepp,

This is the corrrect email address;

jkennett@hawthornfc.com.au

Thanks LMH:thumbsu:

My email to the Pres:

Hi Jeff,

There are many reports circulating on HFC forums that are reporting that the club are extending the Tasmanian deal to include extra home games in Launceston.

Are you able to confirm if this is being proposed as part of a new deal?

If so, I think you are going to put a large percentage of the clubs 40K members well and truly off side, myself included.

Thanks in advance,

Regards, Craig

Thanks LMH:thumbsu:

My email to the Pres:

Hi Jeff,

There are many reports circulating on HFC forums that are reporting that the club are extending the Tasmanian deal to include extra home games in Launceston.

Are you able to confirm if this is being proposed as part of a new deal?

If so, I think you are going to put a large percentage of the clubs 40K members well and truly off side, myself included.

Thanks in advance,

Regards, Craig

This has now been confirmed by the president himself. He also adds that due to the introduction of GC and GWS, there will be no reduction in the games in Melbourne.

Still not all that happy about this i must say:confused:

This has now been confirmed by the president himself. He also adds that due to the introduction of GC and GWS, there will be no reduction in the games in Melbourne.

Still not all that happy about this i must say:confused:

Hey Beckers, any chance you can post the response. If the additional games he is referring to are gc and ws then I don't think that's a problem really - no point playing a home game at the MCG when you can't get the numbers to the gate and it ends up costing the club money.

TBH my concern is more about what games we do get at home (MCG). I am of the belief that there is no way that the game can continue with the current number of clubs in Victoria and relocation will be inevitable for one or two clubs - it is this that I want a clarification from the club on and that the AFL don't get involved in making our fixturing untenable rather than the number of games that get played at Launceston - does that make sense :confused:

david bartlett is a tosser and stands alone on this issue. I am a tasmanian hawthorn supporter, have been for 25 years and have never despised anyone as much as I despise this man. According to newspapers he is a north melbourne supporter and is trying to get football in hobart (north melbourne). if this happens it will be to the detriment of the hawthorn football club, hawthorn football club supporters (everywhere) and the north, north east and north west of tasmania. 5 mayors are against proposals by the tasmanian premier for this reason. Speaking for myself, the deal we have is better than anyone could expect and it shouldn't be taken for granted. I love going to watch my beloved team play at aurora but I would never want them to become a tasmanian team.

Whats worse, i suspect it will be for pretty much the same money as now.

Which means one game less in melbourne nd the earning potential.

Jeff has almost committed tothis so would lose a lot of face by pulling out - we will get 'justification' galore form HFC (like when they palyed in the gold coast stadium) but the truth is the HFC- tassie partnership has passed its high point.

-we got 0 out of 4 games FTA live in melbourne.

-the crowd growth seem to have flattened out at 16/17,000
(taswegians getting familiar or less victorians wanting to make the trip - who knows?)

-despite this we have put money in ourselves to increase the size above 20,000

- at the same time MCG crowds and reserved seats growing hugely

The work we have contributed money to has REDUCED the capacity to 16k for 2010, will be above 20k in 2011
Mostly seated, mostly pre-sold.
In fact the club sells some reserved seats twice through a buyback scheme.
I suspect that Tourism Tasmania would prefer FTA coverage too, although the pay TV crowd obviously has greater disposable income for recreational travel.
But your objection to the erosion of Melbourne games is valid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tasmanian Premier slams 'uncommitted' Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back