News Taylor Adams coming to Pies? Hine: "Yeah, I think so"

What do you reckon about this drawn out trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What you traded out is neither here nor there.

You had a very clean option of Adams for Shaw and pick 44. That's a crisp and very neat little trade there but you dicked it. Now there are really two options if you want Shaw, which you do, and that's Shaw and 49 for Adams or a straight swap.

I'd be pressing for the former.
Lol Spicey same here. SOS was a great player but my budgie knows more about trading than he does - first rule is don't try to trade tough when you aren't in a position of strength.

Now they face the stark reality of either backing down and accepting the deal we offered in the first place or walk away with nothing but egg on their faces.

Either way the AFL and their sponsers certainly won't be pleased.

Talk about amateur hour.

Beg my pardon. I've just read that article again and Collingwood's 3rd round pick 49 is gone.

So the choice is much clearer now, straight swap or nothing.
I'm fine with a straight swap. Picks after the ones we've already got would only be used for a zone selection and rookie upgrade (currently at 75 and 76)

If trade period was a week long both sides probably would've exhausted all options for extras and reached a conclusion of a straight swap.

I only think we should push to include other stuff in the deal because there's a week left in the trade period and hey, why not?

I'm fine with a straight swap. Picks after the ones we've already got would only be used for a zone selection and rookie upgrade (currently at 75 and 76)

If trade period was a week long both sides probably would've exhausted all options for extras and reached a conclusion of a straight swap.

I only think we should push to include other stuff in the deal because there's a week left in the trade period and hey, why not?

Whatever 4th round stuff we can throw in to get this across the line I graciously concede.

Agree. Every team trying to get the best deal possible. Now the only deal remaining is a straight swap or nothing, so straight swap should happen once the WC & Syd deal is lodged.

I really do hope the upgrade deal for pick 6 and White (3 way deal) goes through ASAP because then it will put the pressure back on GWS.

We won't have pick 11 or our second round pick for them to even consider, and there's no way in hell they are getting pick 10, Hine has made that clear from the starts.

Do the deal with the Eagles and Swans, get White to the club and ignore GWS for a few days, let them stew then talk to them again and maybe they will have come to their senses.

Looks like you nailed it, Matty!

Sos and co might get the sack next season being out of form.

Quite stoked that we now have picks 6 and 10 and have not bottomed out on top of 3 first rounders in succession last season that netted us 2 young guns Kennedy and Broomy and one bona fide superstar in Grundy.

The last time we have access to a pick was early as 6 was in 2005 with picks 2 (Daisy) and 5 (Pendles) and the most recent time we had 2 picks inside the top 10 was 2006 when we landed Reid at 8 and Brown at 10.

We have quietly been rebuilding the list.

Wouldnt think its over yet.

Giants could still demand #10 for #19 albeit I think its not required. Alternatively Pies may consider if a Bugg was in the mix or someone they like (Bruce??).

Altrnatively, Pies could say to GWS go and swap your #19 and something for a pick around #12-14 and we will do it.

Lot to play out but still think will happen. They need Heath Shaw.

Wouldnt think its over yet.

Giants could still demand #10 for #19 albeit I think its not required. Alternatively Pies may consider if a Bugg was in the mix or someone they like (Bruce??).

Altrnatively, Pies could say to GWS go and swap your #19 and something for a pick around #12-14 and we will do it.

Lot to play out but still think will happen. They need Heath Shaw.

I think you're right Snoop but do reckon now that their #19 has become #21 that swap for #10 is starting to look a bit fanciful on their part? I agree that they will not be done tormenting us yet but I just can't see them seriously entertaining the 10 for 21 swap. The difference in quality is just too great.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There are two things that have happened so far this weekend:

(1) There is apparently a three way deal about to happen between us and WCE and Sydney that sees us losing picks #11, #31 and #49; then gaining pick #6 and Jessie White.

(2) This has been reported in the media.

How does the media know about this? Because WCE and Swans got together and told the media?

Or because we backgrounded them perhaps? Why would we do that? Do we have a reputation of singing our little hearts out from the rooftops? No.

There is probably more mileage yet to go on this.

I think you're right Snoop but do reckon now that their #19 has become #21 that swap for #10 is starting to look a bit fanciful on their part? I agree that they will not be done tormenting us yet but I just can't see them seriously entertaining the 10 for 21 swap. The difference in quality is just too great.

Good points and agree 21 a joke. Rather keep Shaw or get a pick 14 or so. Maybe pies send shaw to cats, cats send their first round to Gws and pies get Adams. Pies and GWS could then maybe swap 10 and 16 or whatever that pick is. Could do same deal with Blues but I'd hate seeing shaw there. Like to see him at GWS

If Silvagni ***** this up he can pack his bags. GWS have serious egg on their face over Buddy, this would finish a few careers.

If Silvagni ***** this up he can pack his bags. GWS have serious egg on their face over Buddy, this would finish a few careers.
Leaving aside my view that a compromise will be reached (<=== I'll probably have to repeat this several times), I don't get this view that it must happen on our terms.

Maybe its not a cockup? Maybe they have a view about what the trade should be worth to them
They have no obligation to us, they can play as hard with this as they like, it was us that told Shaw to look elsewhere.
Trades fall over all the time, it doesn't mean that as a result people have "egg on their collective faces" all it means is people had different views on the worth of the proposed trade.
It can be a nil all draw not necessarily a lose for one of the parties

Leaving aside my view that a compromise will be reached (<=== I'll probably have to repeat this several times), I don't get this view that it must happen on our terms.

Maybe its not a cockup? Maybe they have a view about what the trade should be worth to them
They have no obligation to us, they can play as hard with this as they like, it was us that told Shaw to look elsewhere.
Trades fall over all the time, it doesn't mean that as a result people have "egg on their collective faces" all it means is people had different views on the worth of the proposed trade.
Sure BJ but if the prevailing view is that they are d1ckw@ds at the negotiating table then they will have to beg for diddly squat from the rest of the league in future.

It's OK having a strong negotiating stance - so long as that is appropriate.

BJ, I agree with you if you look at it as a straight trade but it is not.

GWS are an embarrassment to the AFL and a major drain on finances. They missed the deal to get Buddy and have not been able to attract big names to the club. Shaw whilst not a big name, is someone they have decided they want, and have offered him a big contract, well above his worth as they realise that's what is required to get him to nominate them.

As such they need to get this deal done. Maybe they pay a little more than what they think he is worth to get it done and prove they can get players who want to come over the line. Its still a win for them, they are not being bent over.

Sure BJ but if the prevailing view is that they are d1ckw@ds at the negotiating table then they will have to beg for diddly squat from the rest of the league in future.

It's OK having a strong negotiating stance - so long as that is appropriate.
That's the point, they may well believe it is appropriate

I agree. It wouldn't have been anywhere near as bad if sheedy and co hadn't trumpeted how they were going to poach all of these star players. And who have they got? Of the people they paid overs for, I'd say Ward is the only one who might be close to worth it. Now the go home factor looks to be kicking in and the kids want out. If this trend continues gws will end up being feeder side for other clubs. Constantly getting top picks and then trading them in 2 years for...yep you guessed it. More picks.

From what I gather gws want shaw prettybad other wise they wouldn't have offered him such a big deal so if this deal doesn't get done they will look a bit silly!

The thing is GWS are going in very hard in negotiations see St Kilda for example.

They are demanding Sam Fisher and a pick for Josh Bruce. I mean seriously, WTF?

They want Shaw and pick 10 for Adams and pick 22.

Neither of these scenarios are happening for players who have played 14 and 31 games respectively.

There's holding your ground in negotiations and there's going in far too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back