News Taylor Adams coming to Pies? Hine: "Yeah, I think so"

What do you reckon about this drawn out trade?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
BJ, I agree with you if you look at it as a straight trade but it is not.

GWS are an embarrassment to the AFL and a major drain on finances. They missed the deal to get Buddy and have not been able to attract big names to the club. Shaw whilst not a big name, is someone they have decided they want, and have offered him a big contract, well above his worth as they realise that's what is required to get him to nominate them.

As such they need to get this deal done. Maybe they pay a little more than what they think he is worth to get it done and prove they can get players who want to come over the line. Its still a win for them, they are not being bent over.
Ok, we are starting to move into a different discussion (which I believe is well worth having) but the AFL have said from the get go GWS are a 20 year proposition and will be funded for at least that amount of time.
A drain? probably, but it has been factored into their "success" by the AFL

They have so much talent on their list along with future years of getting good draft picks (and concessions) they can afford to (in your words) ****-up occasionally.
You say they are not being bent over, clearly they think they are or the deal would have been done.

Personally I think it is a fair deal, but it matters zip, what I think. GWS have to believe its fair

That's the point, they may well believe it is appropriate
Well it comes down to a clash of perspectives in the long run, nothing unusual there. :thumbsu::)

If they want to dick around and flush 2 - and possibly 3 AA players that could turn their fortunes around down the sh1tter simply because they want the 'appearance' of not being stood over - fine, more power to them!

Adams and Shaw deal will go through, quite confident.

It's a win-win scenario for both parties, neither will want to **** this up.
Exactly.

Now, if the trade was on GWS terms, it'd be Shaw & 10 for Adams & 21. No chance.

GWS know the Adams deal is crucial to their chances of getting Shaw. Otherwise they'd have done the deal with Geelong for pick 16. Perhaps Geelong haven't offered pick 16 for Adams, leaving GWS stuffed. Geelong do have Caddy and Selwood as long term inside grunt mids.

Odd, there are no reports from Geelong regarding this as they've expressed interest in both Shaw and Adams. Possibly to just stir up either of these trades.

Looks like we went ahead and acquired pick 6 and dealt out our 2nd rounder to gain white from Sydney. As GWS plays hard ball we are doing deals. Well done Pies! We have Sydney's pick 35 they got from GWS which I think will see it go back to to them along with Shaw for Adams.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/magpies-gain-white-and-pick-no-6-20131019-2vtyl.html

Could we be cooking up a mega deal for pick 1. 6 & 10 plus Shaw. For Adams and pick 1??? Hope so!

Looks like we went ahead and acquired pick 6 and dealt out our 2nd rounder to gain white from Sydney. As GWS plays hard ball we are doing deals. Well done Pies! We have Sydney's pick 35 they got from GWS which I think will see it go back to to them along with Shaw for Adams.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/magpies-gain-white-and-pick-no-6-20131019-2vtyl.html

Could we be cooking up a mega deal for pick 1. 6 & 10 plus Shaw. For Adams and pick 1??? Hope so!

You cannot be serious.

mmmm - I suppose it comes down to whats on the table.
I would have thought that if you had lots of confidence in the coaching/fitness staff you might be able to make more out of two high picks (6 and 10) than making a run at 1. Pick one this year must be something special.

Nah. We will need at least 2 live picks in the draft, IMO. I also think it's pretty clear now that GWS won't be trading pick 1.

Next pick will be for Sam Dwyer upgrade.

No. No one is cooking up a deal for pick 1. It was never on the table. GWS floated the specter of trading it for publicity purposes. End of story.

Also, was a new thread really needed when there is already discussion on this topic in the Jesse White thread and the team 2014 thread?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No. No one is cooking up a deal for pick 1. It was never on the table. GWS floated the specter of trading it for publicity purposes. End of story.
Correct. Give the appearance that they want players and want to be competitive rather than just hoarding charity picks.

To those suggesting putting all our eggs in one basket for pick 1. . . What happens if some diving moron crashes into his ankle/shin at full speed and he suffers multiple fractures??

No more number 1 and the eggs have all been broken - on our face.

No thanks 6 and 10 is more like it.

To those suggesting putting all our eggs in one basket for pick 1. . . What happens if some diving moron crashes into his ankle/shin at full speed and he suffers multiple fractures??

No more number 1 and the eggs have all been broken - on our face.

No thanks 6 and 10 is more like it.
Don't agree..The 6 and 10 can just as likely be duds or suffer injury and Pick one dominate the competition for 12 years.

Collingwood has been unable to strike a deal for young Giant Taylor Adams, whom it wants to swap with Heath Shaw. The parties are still some distance apart.

This is getting a Real Worry that GWS is asking for way too Much. I say they want Pick 10 with Heater for Adams and there 2nd Rounder.

I really doubt Hine would do that as he said the Draft is Really Shallow

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/magpies-gain-white-and-pick-no-6-20131019-2vtyl.html#ixzz2iDjGs8NP

This is getting a Real Worry that GWS is asking for way too Much. I say they want Pick 10 with Heater for Adams and there 2nd Rounder.

Dave this is HINE we are talking about. . NO WAY is 6 or 10 on the table - either they do a straight swap or we pick up someone like Crouch in the draft and they can take their chances with Geelong.

We now only have two picks that we will use in the draft. Hine has made it clear that he thinks this is a shallow draft and we can also see that with the trading of our second and third round picks.

Hine will not trade pick 6 or 10 therefore making the trade for Adams really tough. I can't honestly see how that trade can be done unless it's a straight swap for Shaw and I can't see that happening. In order for the Adams-Shaw deal to go through one club would be getting ripped off one way or another, GWS might ask for a player like Blair but I am not in the mood to lose another premiership player and I love Blair.

A deal like Blair and Shaw to GWS for Adams and a 1st round pick could be a deal that could pop up during talks. I think that would be a pretty fair deal for both parties as GWS get 2 premiership players with experience and we get a first round pick and Adams to add to our experienced mid.

Well we won't give away pick 10 now, it would mean we have one pick in the draft.

Do we still have 49 or has that gone as well? If so then it can only be a straight swap or their untenable swap of picks 10 and 21 so were likely to have a Mexican stand off unless some third party deal can be construed.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/magpies-gain-white-and-pick-no-6-20131019-2vtyl.html#ixzz2iDjGs8NP
The papers reporting the same story 12 times is creating a snowball where it seems like the situation is getting worse. Nothing to worry about unless they've spent the weekend talking and nothing's changed :thumbsu:

The papers reporting the same story 12 times is creating a snowball where it seems like the situation is getting worse. Nothing to worry about unless they've spent the weekend talking and nothing's changed :thumbs:

I agree S2F. I think the tension in this trade has been exacerbated by the slow news cycle causing journos to just keep rehashing old news because they know of no further developments so it makes things seem more combative than may be the case.

We now only have two picks that we will use in the draft. Hine has made it clear that he thinks this is a shallow draft and we can also see that with the trading of our second and third round picks.

Hine will not trade pick 6 or 10 therefore making the trade for Adams really tough. I can't honestly see how that trade can be done unless it's a straight swap for Shaw and I can't see that happening. In order for the Adams-Shaw deal to go through one club would be getting ripped off one way or another, GWS might ask for a player like Blair but I am not in the mood to lose another premiership player and I love Blair.

A deal like Blair and Shaw to GWS for Adams and a 1st round pick could be a deal that could pop up during talks. I think that would be a pretty fair deal for both parties as GWS get 2 premiership players with experience and we get a first round pick and Adams to add to our experienced mid.

Geez, some Collingwood players need a reality check on the value of our players...

Shaw and Blair for Adams and a first round pick...? GWS don't even think that Shaw alone is worth a first round pick - they certainly won't think Blair is one (if you could somehow convince them to take the Shaw / Adams swap).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back