Tazza - gary lyon thinks we should trade for picks

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought the idea had merit. Sure Tarrant's form has been fantastic but we need draft picks. The hawks wouldn't have won the flag without trading Croad, Hay and Thompson.

Tarrant and 20 for pick 12 isn't great but if there was a late 3rd rounder in there too I'd look at it if Taz was keen to get home.

I think by the end of next year, he would have almost lost his key attribute, and advantage. This is his speed, and closing speed. At the end of next year, he will be 30, and turning 31 the following year. I doubt that he will he be able to maintain his major advantage over other forwards.

With that being said i don't think any club will be willing to offer what he is worth. Next year, if playing in a Victorian, finals contending team, he could easily be the AA FB of the comp. He is worth more like pick 12 for our 3rd rounder or even our 4th rounder.

Although i cannot see this happening. So no deal.

Have to disagree...

Simon Prestigiacomo is 31 turning 32 and he is one of the best shutdown talls in the game. Tarrant has a much better physique, better speed, but more importantly has one of the best engines in the game... He can be a human glove for us in defence for a few more years. Plus I would love someone like him showing the younger guys just how hard you have to work whilst providing necessary muscle down back to spare the younger guys getting a beating while they develop.

I thought the idea had merit. Sure Tarrant's form has been fantastic but we need draft picks. The hawks wouldn't have won the flag without trading Croad, Hay and Thompson.

Tarrant and 20 for pick 12 isn't great but if there was a late 3rd rounder in there too I'd look at it if Taz was keen to get home.

Yeah but they had to get croad back. He was the most unheralded player of that team last year.

Tarrant for a 3rd round pick and a pick in the top 8 would be the only thing the club could consider. He is an A+ defender.

The article is completely hypothetical and I get that, but when it comes to the detail side of things, it misses a few points.

Firstly the suggested trade of Taz and 2nd rnd for 1st rnd pick totally undervalues Taz ... as others have said, he would be straight 1st rnd at least.

Secondly, he undervalues what a now solid consistent contributor like Taz can give to a developing club like ours.

Thirdly, and this is mostly for some of us around here, it is assumed he can only go another year or so ... given his physique and new found position, there's no reason he couldn't go another 3-4, in that time we pick up another KPP backman who can take a year or two and develop under some protection from a Taz type player.

Fourthly, and this goes with the above, we are so short on KPP backs and throwing kids into that position before ready will just slow down development and not really help us in the medium term anyway.

Players like Taz, Pav are just too valuable as 1) players that can get clubs flags, 2) players that inspire and instill the sorts of values and confidence in emerging young squds such that they get to 1 quicker. We aren't anywhere near 1, but we are obviously at point 2. So unless the deal involves us getting Geelong's midfield, I'd say no deal.

I think Taz and pick 20 for pick 8 would be a bit fairer to us. I honestly dont mind that trade cause Tarrant probably only has a couple years left in football and he isn't going to win a premiership with us in that amount of time. However I am almost certain he will finish his carrer at the Dockers.

Hypotheically, if there was to be a deal..

Then it's Tazz for a pic - none of this bundle bullshit....

..and a high pick at that.

But we really need him down back

Again, this is all hypothetical, but a trade of Taz + 20 = pick < 12 might be worth considering if, and only if, we secure a 2nd round PP this year.

In this instance we still get a 2nd round pick, and the trade is essentially Taz for a top 12 pick, which is a much better reflection of his real worth. IMHO.

Personally, I doubt there'll be any kind of trade for Tazz. Mainly because the only teams even contemplating trading their first / second round picks would be the top 8 teams, and even they would want to hang on their picks. (I keep hearing / reading how shallow the draft is this year.)

I rate Tazz as one of our best players now ... He should stay at Freo unless he desperately wants to go home. I'd rather throw Mundy into the trade deal than our second round pick. It's obvious to many (including the goons on 6PR) that Mundy doesn't want to be here this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Tazza - gary lyon thinks we should trade for picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back