team for 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Lethal's message was no longer getting heard and the younger players were not developing as well as we would have liked under Leigh at the end. Lethal is a legend and part of the premiership success was put down to building a club within a club. It is common knowledge that unless you were in Lethal's squad of 25 players then he didn't want to know you. Lethal's ruthlessness was a major part of why we won 3 in a row. Time was up and i think everyone can see a renewed enthusiasm at the club under Vossy. Vossy is also a very personable human being and will take responsibility for every player on the list. He also bridges the double generation gap we had under Lethal. I don't think anyone is bagging Matthews in any of these posts.

In the end it comes down to the individual player and how much he wants an AFL career combined with how hard he is prepared to work for it in the gym,the training field and the games - the higher a person aims the less it matters if the standard is not quite achieved.

There was something very wrong in the last half of the 2007 season - some players just did not perform to the required standard so the team missed the eight and the way it was performing overall,just as well.

As for the coach,he can't succeed even in one game if the team doesn't,or he can't get them to,put in the necessary effort and determination.

Here's how I see the team for the start of 2009.

B. Adcock Merritt Drummond

HB. Patfull Henderson Macdonald

C. Brennan Rischitelli Dalziell

HF. Johnstone Brown Sherman

F. McGrath Bradshaw Clark

Fol. Charman Black Power

Int. Leuenberger Rich Hooper Clouston

Em. Hawksley Roe Proud Notting

As needed. Selwood Harding Collier Stiller Polkinghorne

It's up to them. Tyler Austin Redden Banfield Cornelius McCullouch King Rockliff

Get well soon. Sheldon

A different way of approaching team selection:

Certainties:

Brown
Black
Bradshaw
Power
Patfull
Merrett
Charman
Dalziell
Rischitelli
Adcock
Macdonald
Brennan
Drummond

The following side could be selected from those certainties:

B:??? Merrett Adcock
HB: Macdonald Patfull Drummond
C: Dalziell Rischitelli Brennan
HF: ??? Brown ???
F: ??? Bradshaw ???
R: Charman Black Power
I: ???, ???, ???, ???

That side probably needs:

- 1 ruckman
- 1 tall defender or 1 small defender (depending on defensive structure)
- 1 small/medium forward
- 1 tall forward or an extra small/medium forward (depending on forward structure)
- 5 running/utility players

The likely options (with my preferred choice in bold):

2nd ruck

Leuenberger - As close to a certainty as is possible in my mind.

Clark - Would only be selected as a 2nd ruck if NAB Cup reveals that we lack flexibility with two pure rucks in the 22.

No other option is pushing for selection, injuries permitting.

3rd tall defender or extra small defender

Henderson - A possibility both forward and back.

Clark - suspect that he will be in the 22 somewhere. I'll slot him up forward.

Hawksley - arguably best suited working from half back.

Collier - gives run but can also play taller. Potentially kills two birds with the one stone.

Roe - like Collier, can certainly play tall or small but last season's form was not exceptional.

McGrath - has played small defender well in the past on occasion.

3rd tall forward or extra small/medium forward

Clark - will provide some flexibility in terms of being able to play at both ends and pinch hit in the ruck.

Henderson - see above.

Clouston - perhaps the best fit structurally as a roaming CHF but may miss a spot if Clark is seen as the first choice 3rd tall forward.

(See below for small/medium forward options)

Small/Medium Forwards

McGrath - capable of contributing on the scoreboard but yet to secure a spot after a long time on the list.

Sherman - being groomed for the role and theoretically should be suited to an attacking position. Little experience in the role.

Hooper - the established small forward but pre-season issues may count against him.

Johnstone - played a lot of time as a half forward last year.

Notting - could play the high forward role that is important in modern footy.

Rockliff - Hooper aside, the most "natural" small/medium forward on the list and is equipped for a quick introduction into senior footy.

Running/Utility Players

Selwood - the natural tagger on a list which lacks someone to play that role.

Stiller - high possession winner but last season's form was not great. His best form will win him a spot

Harding - would need to see substantial improvement.

Proud - Due to controversy, I'll leave him out for the moment. He'd be in otherwise.

Johnstone - Should settle into the side better this year.

Hawksley - I see him developing into a quality wingman over the season.

Notting - He is a fringe selection but will probably play round 1.

Rich - Have to keep reminding ourselves that he is a 1st year player and there are others on the list with more proven form. If Proud is available, Rich may struggle for a spot in my side. He's in here as I have picked a lot of outside players and would like some on ball grunt.

McGrath - I have him 3rd in line for the small forward role (behind Hooper and Sherman), about 5th in line for the small/medium defenders role and a long way off the onballers brigade. But he offers flexibility and experience. Actually quite hard to leave out of the 22.

Polkinghorne - Impressive looking but may need to wait for a turn, unless NAB Cup form is exceptional.

Hooper - a good NAB Cup will get him back into reckoning, possibly instead of McGrath (move Sherman to half forward, Hooper to forward pocket and play Notting/TJ off the bench).

Clouston - may well be a running player in a KPP's body. Seriously considering squeezing him in somewhere - perhaps on a half forward flank. Would be first emergency in this side.

Henderson - I suspect that he'll be next cab off the rank for both tall forward and defender.

That leaves me with this side (certainties in bold):

B: Collier Merrett Adcock
HB: Drummond Patfull Macdonald
HF: Johnstone Brown Notting
F: Clark Bradshaw Sherman

I: Leuenberger Hawksley McGrath Rich

Like your side POBT. Took too long to get there though. ;):p

I do like what Mitch Clark has shown as a tall forward, but whether we can accommodate 3 talls all more or less in the forward 50 will depend on how we approach it this year. If our game plan and delivery is anything like last year's, we'll be too tall - Clark will just get ignored anyway as our guys look to Brownshaw far too much.

Clouston would be an excellent fit as the wide roaming CHF, similar to what Browny did in his early days. Remember that Brown used to operate far enough away from goal to allow Lynch and Bradshaw space to work with.

And so if we go with Leuey as 2nd ruck (no reason why we shouldn't), then Mitch would get squeezed out, and I'm not sure I'd like to leave such a talented player out of the 22. If one of our rucks got injured, he would play as 2nd ruck and all problems solved. But if not, then I'd like to see Mitch start in defence where he'll be an asset with his height and athleticism. He'll provide an outlet from defensive 50 like Leppitsch did - remember how many times CJ would bomb it long to Leppa on the edge of the centre square? Mitch of course is versatile enough to play forward, back or ruck (albeit a bit inexperienced in that role), so will be a valuable weapon for Voss for balance reasons and creating headaches for opposition match ups.

That leaves 3 tall defenders in Merrett, Patfull and Clark. Collier at this stage hasn't shown too much playing as a "tall". Right now in my mind he'd be competing with Notting for a spot as the tall utility who can run and carry, then kicks long. As a tall defender, he would be competing against Roe.

I also think playing Adcock in defence would be a good option especially if he doesn't rediscover his midfield mojo. Looking at his pre-season training though and the article announcing him as vice-captain, it looks like he'll be played in the midfield.

Voss has said he'll play Sherman as a forward. He was a big fan of Shermo when they played together, so I think he'll give the Tasmanian every chance to establish himself.

My Team
B Drummond Merrett Patfull
HB Dalziell Clark Macdonald
C Adcock Rischitelli Brennan
HF Clouston Brown Johnstone
F Sherman Bradshaw McGrath

R Charman Black Power

IC Leuenberger Collier Hawksley Rich

There are lots of blokes competing for the last few spots in the 22: Notting, Selwood, Stiller, Hanley. They aren't far behind the likes of McGrath and Hawksley, and may actually play ahead of them in round 1. Hooper and Proud would probably be ahead of all of them if not for off-field problems.

Hendo will probably get more games as the Lions will be keen to fast track his development. Rockliff will also figure somewhere, especially if we struggle for goals again outside of Brownshaw. Harding and Selwood are in last-chance saloon and will want to do something.

McGrath now is 25 and has played more than 100 games, so should be in his prime. He'll need to establish himself as a forward who can both lead as a medium forward, crumb and apply some pressure. If he doesn't perform well enough I'd be inclined to give his spot to someone who's prepared to work harder.

This the on-ball division I've named:
R Charman Black Power

The ruckman aside, all 5 are able to play inside and win the contested ball. It's up to the centreline I've named to lift this season and take the load off Black and Power.

The likes of Johnstone, Dalziell and Macdonald will be part of the rotation to help out. Rich will also be given stints.

Like your side POBT. Took too long to get there though. ;):p

It was an iterative process!

I do like what Mitch Clark has shown as a tall forward, but whether we can accommodate 3 talls all more or less in the forward 50 will depend on how we approach it this year. If our game plan and delivery is anything like last year's, we'll be too tall - Clark will just get ignored anyway as our guys look to Brownshaw far too much.

Clark and Clouston (and Collier if he can play a little taller) are effectively competing for 1 or 2 tall utility spots, IMO. None of them are established KPPs at this stage but their selections are going to be depedent on team structure. Clark is in my 22 right now and naming him in a forward pocket is no indication of where I expect him to play all season. If we play a side with 3 tall forwards, then he'll go back. If not, he'll stay forward.

Clouston would be an excellent fit as the wide roaming CHF, similar to what Browny did in his early days. Remember that Brown used to operate far enough away from goal to allow Lynch and Bradshaw space to work with.

I agree although I also think Notting could play that role quite well. My side has him and TJ across half forward, both as lead up players - Notting as the marking target and TJ playing more of a Didak role.

And so if we go with Leuey as 2nd ruck (no reason why we shouldn't), then Mitch would get squeezed out, and I'm not sure I'd like to leave such a talented player out of the 22. If one of our rucks got injured, he would play as 2nd ruck and all problems solved. But if not, then I'd like to see Mitch start in defence where he'll be an asset with his height and athleticism. He'll provide an outlet from defensive 50 like Leppitsch did - remember how many times CJ would bomb it long to Leppa on the edge of the centre square? Mitch of course is versatile enough to play forward, back or ruck (albeit a bit inexperienced in that role), so will be a valuable weapon for Voss for balance reasons and creating headaches for opposition match ups.

My only issue is that your back 6 doesn't have a natural small defender. You wouldn't want Drummo playing on a tricky small and JMac lacks a little agility. Dalziell? Maybe but that's not the rolehe's played so far.

I also think playing Adcock in defence would be a good option especially if he doesn't rediscover his midfield mojo. Looking at his pre-season training though and the article announcing him as vice-captain, it looks like he'll be played in the midfield.

I'd play Adcock in defence with a part in the midfield rotations where the opposition doesn't have a dangerous small forward.

Voss has said he'll play Sherman as a forward. He was a big fan of Shermo when they played together, so I think he'll give the Tasmanian every chance to establish himself.

Shermo has everything to play for in the NAB Cup. He is effectively the 1st choice for a vacant position which is a good place to be if you are trying to secure your spot in the side.

My Team
B Drummond Merrett Patfull
HB Dalziell Clark Macdonald
HF Clouston Brown Johnstone
F Sherman Bradshaw McGrath

R Charman Black Power

IC Leuenberger Collier Hawksley Rich

I think we're singing from the same hymn sheet. My only query is whether that side is too tall for modern footy. You've got 2 rucks plus 6 KPPs. By way of comparison, Hawthorn had 2 rucks and 4 KPPs in the grand final last year. Geelong had the same although Tom Harley has played KPP in the past. By including that many talls, do you lose run? I'm not sure. It depends on whether Clouston is a centre half forward or basically just a tall midfielder playing in the forward half, like O'Keefe.

I agree although I also think Notting could play that role quite well. My side has him and TJ across half forward, both as lead up players - Notting as the marking target and TJ playing more of a Didak role.

Would be good if Notting can return to his 2004 (HFF who kicks long goals) or 2007 (high possession, running winger) form. His high leaping, strong marking days seem to be over though. When he was playing CHF for us in NAB cup last year he struggled big time, ok granted his form wasn't that good last year anyway, but he looks like he'll struggle if given a close checking defender. Also he won't be around forever so I'd like to see a long term replacement being groomed.

My only issue is that your back 6 doesn't have a natural small defender. You wouldn't want Drummo playing on a tricky small and JMac lacks a little agility. Dalziell? Maybe but that's not the rolehe's played so far.

I'd play Adcock in defence with a part in the midfield rotations where the opposition doesn't have a dangerous small forward.

Agreed. Can easily swap Adcock and Dalziell on my team list and it'll look more balanced. Also Patfull plays very well on small forwards as well - his game on LeCras when he was tearing it up, went to him and totally shut him down, that game sticks in my mind.

I think we're singing from the same hymn sheet. My only query is whether that side is too tall for modern footy. You've got 2 rucks plus 6 KPPs. By way of comparison, Hawthorn had 2 rucks and 4 KPPs in the grand final last year. Geelong had the same although Tom Harley has played KPP in the past. By including that many talls, do you lose run? I'm not sure. It depends on whether Clouston is a centre half forward or basically just a tall midfielder playing in the forward half, like O'Keefe.

I agree with that. There's plenty of tall talent on our list, but we need to make sure we field a team that can run. Being too tall is only bad if you haven't got enough run in them - for example, a team of 22 Brownys won't be that great! I'd argue that Patfull, Clouston and even Clark are all athletic types, especially the first 2, who can provide great run. In that case, those 2 double as KPPs as well as being runners, so basically having 2 strings to their bowl - a bit like a batsman who can bowl.

As for Collier, he looks a naturally runner. IMO he should aspiring to playing like Adam Goodes or Chad Cornes, giving us that big body running through the middle.

I would also be ok with us having 1 more runner in the team. Problem is I don't see many putting their hand up demanding inclusion at the moment - this will hopefully change quickly once the season starts.

On a funny tangent, if Charman cannot pull his weight and continue to appear to be impaired by injury/wear and tear, I wouldn't mind trying Leuey/Mitch as our ruck combo. That'll allow room for 1 more runner.

In my mind, outside midfielders need to have excellent disposal to be valuable. Our outside mids aren't that great in this regard. So for example if Stiller can really improve his kicking, he'd be right in contention.

Geez thats an exciting and well balanced side IMO. Like it a lot.

Geez thats an exciting and well balanced side IMO. Like it a lot.

FWIW, I think those POBT has selected will be very close to our A side. However, any of Collier, Hansen, Harding, Proud and a number of the new blokes will be breathing down the neck of any slackers- a position we have not been in for quite some time.

One notable omission perhaps- no crumbing forward/s apart from Sherman, which is where Hooper etc might be given a chance.

That leaves me with this side (certainties in bold):

I decided to work out a team, did all my thinking and calculations and came in here to post it - to find out POBT has posted almost my exact squad already. I had

Collier Merrett Adcock
Macdonald Patfull Drummond
Brennan Rischitelli Dalziell
Johnstone Brown Notting
Clark Bradshaw Sherman
Charman Black Power

I: Leuenberger Selwood Rich Mcgrath

Almost identical teams in identical positions except for Selwood and Hawksley.

My rationale for Selwoods selection was his huge preseason and the fact that he's a hard as nails run-with player - something I thought we lacked and Voss would value.

Just out of interest, had we retained Corrie on our list, how many would be including him in their best 22 for Round 1?
He'd be around the mark for selection. Like plenty of others, he'd need to show some form in the NAB Cup. Incidentally, I thought he was OK for Collingwood the other night - not outstanding, but passable.

My rationale for Selwoods selection was his huge preseason and the fact that he's a hard as nails run-with player - something I thought we lacked and Voss would value.

I have no problem at all with this thinking. I guess the only concern I have is that Selwood's form of 2008 simply does not warrant a spot in the 22. A successful lock down on someone like Dal Santo on Saturday will lift him right into calculations.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In an ideal footy world, where injuries and suspension don't exist and there is always a full list to pick from:

Roe Merrett Hanley
Patfull Clark Drummond
Dalziell Brennan MacDonald
Johnson Brown Hooper
Sherman Bradshaw Banfield

Leuenburger, Black, Power

First rotation: Charman Adcock Rischitelli Rich

unluckies: Collier, Harding, Selwood

To make the eight you will need a side that has a nice combination of Strength over the ball, Pace and Clever use of the ball, plus a couple of gorillas who can (a) kick goals or (b) stop talls kicking goals.

Got to thinking about what-ifs: eg whatif Stiller burns up the paddock in the pre-season; whatif Charman doesn't recover from whatever's ailing him and looks like continuing on in last year's vein etc

We could end up with a team looking like the following:

FB: Patfull Merrett Drummond
HB: Adcock Henderson Macdonald
C: Dalziell Black Stiller
HF: McGrath Brown Sherman
F: Bradshaw Clark Power
Followers: Leuenberger, Brennan, Richitelli
Int: Johnstone Notting Selwood Rich

I can envisage Charman missing out for a while, with Leuey doing the bulk of the rucking aided by Merrett & Henderson for backline throw-ins and Clark & Brennan for forward throw-ins. When Leuey needs to go off for a rest (maybe one-third of total time?) Clark could move into ruck.

I reckon Bradshaw knows how to play out of a pocket, and three talls (Bradshaw at 191cm certainly plays like a 'taller' tall) would put a strain on most defences. Remember Lynch/Bradshaw/Brown?

This would give the Lions an extra medium/small on the bench for rotations, plus I also reckon that someone like Power could rotate between the forward pocket and the midfield (anything to keep him and his dinky kicks away from the backline!).

I've included Rich on potential/reputation, but this will depend strongly on how he goes in the pre-season. Several other medium-sized youngsters could grab a spot on the bench based on pre-season performance (and corresponding lack of by the established players). However, you'd have to think that most of the zero-to-one year guys will start in the ressies.

Looking at the rest of the list, I get the feeling that we have a hell of a lot more depth than we've had for a couple of years. You would expect Hooper, Proud, Collier, Polkinghorne, Hawksley, Clouston, Tyler, Roe (and Charman!) to be banging on the door from day one.

Go the Lions!

Exactly right GabbaMan

"To make the eight you will need a side that has a nice combination of Strength over the ball, Pace and Clever use of the ball, plus a couple of gorillas who can (a) kick goals or (b) stop talls kicking goals."

My main worry is that our mid-fielders are very courageous, but they dont have the strenght to stand over the ball in contested situations. Good to see Hanley get a mention. The other guy who appears to have the physique is Polkinghore. Does anyone think he can make the grade?

:D

As if the guy's name isn't bad enough as it is!

Reminds me of when Brian Lara named his daughter Sydney after scoring a double hundred there. And Clive Lloyd said to him, 'well it's lucky you didn't score a double hudred in Lahore'

Exactly right GabbaMan

"To make the eight you will need a side that has a nice combination of Strength over the ball, Pace and Clever use of the ball, plus a couple of gorillas who can (a) kick goals or (b) stop talls kicking goals."

My main worry is that our mid-fielders are very courageous, but they dont have the strenght to stand over the ball in contested situations. Good to see Hanley get a mention. The other guy who appears to have the physique is Polkinghore. Does anyone think he can make the grade?
Yes i do think he can make it.I am a big fan.

Yes i do think he can make it.I am a big fan.

Are you talking about Handles? If so then yep, I think he's got a nice combination of attributes (pace, strength and run) so will be great if he can continue his development. He showed in round 22 last year that he can find the ball, and I think he's a great prospect.

Don't forget though, we have another player on the list also with excellent speed and strength. He wears #5...still harbouring hopes that he can really pick it up this season.

Are you talking about Handles? If so then yep, I think he's got a nice combination of attributes (pace, strength and run) so will be great if he can continue his development. He showed in round 22 last year that he can find the ball, and I think he's a great prospect.

Don't forget though, we have another player on the list also with excellent speed and strength. He wears #5...still harbouring hopes that he can really pick it up this season.
No i was talking about james polkinghorne!

I'm really interested to see the form of stiller in the NAB cup. I think he is a player the team needs with his endurance and hopefully he can return to the form which saw him gain the rising star award.

Sherman for mine has been given to many opportunities and i would go with stiller on the bench instead of sherman depending on his nab cup form ofcourse

*I thought Henderson at CHB showed enough to persist with.
*Harding and Polkinghorne come in on form
*Proud and Hooper made to earn their spots.

Drummond, Merrett, Macdonald
Collier, Henderson, Patfull
Dalziell, Adcock, Rischitelli
Johhstone, Brown, Brennan
Polkinghorne, Bradshaw, Harding

Leuenberger, Black, Power

Clark, Rich, Hawksley, Notting

I'd like to see Hendo play on at least one established key forward - or at least a genuinely promising young gun - before I slot him in for round 1. Presumably, he'll get his turn on one of Lloyd, Gumbleton or Neagle next game which I think will tell us a lot more.

I liked his calmness though. He looks like the type of player who you give an instruction to and know that he'll follow it. He won't take long to be schooled on the finer arts of being a tall defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

team for 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back