team for 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

That was incredibly hard... Players like Roe, Stiller, McGrath, Harding... Is there any room for them? Would we rather give game time to those who we think can be very good players rather then continue giving games to those who are good/average at best.

FB: Patfull Merrett Drummond
HB: MacDonald Clark Adcock
C: Notting Brennan Dalziell
HF : Rischitelli Brown Johnstone
FF: Sherman Bradshaw Hooper
Followers: Charman, Black, Power

Int: Leueunburger, Selwood, Rich, Proud

EMG: Roe, McGrath, Stiller

Sheldon, Henderson, Collier, Clouston, Hawksley all have the potenital to be good players...

^^^

Love that defensive six Fairley! :D

IMO Notting will start in the 22 (barring injury) but if he gets dropped once, you sense he'll see the rest of the year playing in the QAFL ala Tivendale, Yze etc.

I said I'd wait until the list was finalised and here is my shot at our team for 2009.

FB: Drummond, Merrett, Adcock
HB: Patfull, Clark, Macdonald
C: Dalziell, Black, Brennan
HF: Johhstone, Brown, Clouston
FF: McGrath, Bradshaw, Sherman
RUCK: Charman, Rischitelli, Power
BENCH: Leuenberger, Proud, Rich, Notting

Players who could trade places in and out of the 22 throughout the year are Stiller or Hawksley for Notting, Cornelius or Clark for Clouston, Tyler or Roe for Clark, Polkinghorne for Sherman or Hanley for Proud.

I am pretty happy with that team

Round 1: starters?? I also like your back 6 Fairley.

FB: Patfull Merrett Drummond
HB: MacDonald Clark Adcock
C: Rischitelli Brennan Dalziell
HF : Johnstone Brown Hooper
FF: McGrath Bradshaw Henderson
Followers: Leuenberger, Black, Power

Int: Charman, Notting, Rich, Proud

EMG: Roe, Hanley, Hawksley, Sheldon

Drummond, Merrett, Hawksley
Clark, Patfull, Macdonald
Dalziell, Brennan, Rischitelli
Johhstone, Brown, Clouston
McGrath, Bradshaw, Adcock

Charman, Black Power

Leuenberger, Sherman, Proud, Collier

LMFAO, for this reason commas are important :p

Good team though, great to see the lions up and about!

Clark is a bit more experienced playing in that position than Lachie, he did quite well when he did play in that role. Lachie hasnt played many games down back and Clark is at a more advance stage of development than Lachie.

clark and hendo wont fit right into until bradshaw and brown are gone, til then they will spend time down back or where ever they are needed. both could be very good forwards in the long term.

clark should become our 2nd tall once one of the dynamic duo move on, maybe freeing up a spot for hendo to play down back.

B: Drummond Merrett Patfull
HB: Macdonald Clark Adcock
C: Dalziell Rischitelli Brennan
HF: Rich Brown TJ
F: Henderson Bradshaw Hooper*
R: Charman Black Power
I/C: Leuenburger Sherman McGrath Proud

Love having Clark at CHB. i think he has massive potential as a running backman, shades of Leppa. Patful to take the third tall. Doubt Hooper will play round one after going walkabout but i think he's in our best 22.
There's certainly some decent, albeit young, talent missing out which can only be a good thing.

I'm curious to know why so many rate Clark ahead of Lachie?

Clark has had more years in the system, shown more at AFL level but the main reason I have Clark in ahead of Henderson is that Clark's athleticism/versatility is better and makes him more suited to CHB or that 3rd Tall Forward. I think Henderson's main chance will come when Bradshaw retires and most likely Brown goes to FF. He seems to be a more "traditional footballer" with the positions he will play.

As of Round 1, mine would be:

B: Drummond Merrett McGrath
HB: MacDonald Patfull Adcock
C: Dalziell Brennan Power
HF: Clark Brown Johnstone
F: Sherman Brown Hooper
Foll:Charman Black Rischitelli
IC: Leuenburger Rich Proud Roe
Emg:Notting Henderson Selwood

Hoping Tyler makes his debut sometime in the year, and holds his spot at CHB ala Nathan Brown at Collingwood and cements his spot there.

I've still got a few queries in my mind.

1. Does Clark play and where?

2. Are we too top heavy if we play all of Brown, Bradshaw, Merrett, Patfull, Clark, Clouston + the 2 rucks?

3. McGrath - forward, back, midfield or left right out?

4. Where will Hooper be at?

5. Does Brennan remain a forward flanker who rotates in and out of the midfield or is he now a pure midfielder?

6. Where is Adcock going to start the season?

7. Which of the 50 game fringe players are likely to step up?

I've still got a few queries in my mind.

1. Does Clark play and where?

2. Are we too top heavy if we play all of Brown, Bradshaw, Merrett, Patfull, Clark, Clouston + the 2 rucks?

3. McGrath - forward, back, midfield or left right out?

4. Where will Hooper be at?

5. Does Brennan remain a forward flanker who rotates in and out of the midfield or is he now a pure midfielder?

6. Where is Adcock going to start the season?

7. Which of the 50 game fringe players are likely to step up?

These are purely my thoughts:

1. Clark (if fit) is too good a player not to be in the side. The forward line is too top-heavy with him, Brown and Bradshaw so for me I'd like to see him given a chance at the big, lumbering chb role first, or even a wing (not sure what his stamina, fitness is like).

2. You would have to think so. Although Patfull can also play on smalls, you would think that Clousten or one of the two rucks (depending on form, injury) would not be playing.

3. I'd like McGrath to be given 5 or more weeks to make his own the forward pocket/Mark Williams type role. IMO he would be close to being delisted so '09 is a pivotal year for him.

4. Hopefully Hooper has another '07 year, but returns to the side earlier!:( Extremely hard to predict what will happen.

5. I'd like to see Brennan emerge as a permanent mid who spends 90% of his TOG in the midfield, and the other 10 as another option in the forward line.

6. Hopefully as the attacking back flanker/back pocket role which he excelled in '07. As he builds his confidence up then maybe give him short stints in the midfield.

7. IMO it's Sherman (his stand-out year in '06 was when Voss was still captain).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

talking to josh drummond the other day he lives with lachie and thinks that he will still develop into a workhorse chf, when bradshaw retires and brown goes to ff, apparently in around two yrs. he suggested that clark would be a better chance of chb.

This how i would like our boys to line up at round 1 2009:

FB: Patfull Merrett MacDonald
HB: Drummond Roe Adcock
C: Rich Brennan Dalziell
HF : Power Brown Johnstone
FF: McGrath Bradshaw Hooper
Followers: Charman, Black, Rischitelli

Int: Leueunburger, Clark, Notting, Proud

EMG: Sherman, Collier, Stiller, Selwood

Over the 08 season i was not at all impressed by Sherman or Selwood. I think if they both have another poor season like they did in 08 they should be axed. Having guys like Rich and Proud come into the side pushes these 2 out IMO.

I am hoping that McGrath and Hooper can work in tandem and become those small forwards we so desperately need.

I believe 09 will be a big season for Rischitelli and he will spend 90% of his time in the middle, possibly rotating with Power on the HFF.

Adcock should be moved into the backline, try and develop him into a McLeod type of role, being confident to leave his man, run and create on offense.

Those are my thoughts can't wait for the NAB cup :D

This how i would like our boys to line up at round 1 2009:

HB: Drummond Roe Adcock
C: Rich Brennan Dalziell
HF : Power Brown Johnstone
FF: McGrath Bradshaw Hooper
Followers: Charman, Black, Rischitelli

Int: Leueunburger, Clark, Notting, Proud

EMG: Sherman, Collier, Stiller, Selwood

Over the 08 season i was not at all impressed by Sherman or Selwood. I think if they both have another poor season like they did in 08 they should be axed. Having guys like Rich and Proud come into the side pushes these 2 out IMO.

I am hoping that McGrath and Hooper can work in tandem and become those small forwards we so desperately need.

I believe 09 will be a big season for Rischitelli and he will spend 90% of his time in the middle, possibly rotating with Power on the HFF.

Adcock should be moved into the backline, try and develop him into a McLeod type of role, being confident to leave his man, run and create on offense.

Those are my thoughts can't wait for the NAB cup :D

Interesting- you are unimpressed with Selwood and Sherman, yet have the players in bold remain in your side. If memory serves, this is pretty much the side that Leigh Matthews described as having failed in 2008. If Shermo and Selwood can be described as not passing muster on last season's performances, then they have quite a few companions, IMHO.

Without a wholesale attitude transplant to existing players, it's hard to see how we might do better with the addition of only one debutante.

I wouldn't presume to pick any side, but I don't think we can improve with the same old. New attitudes, new players.

HB: Drummond Clark Adcock
C: Brennan Rischitelli Dalziell
HF : Sherman Brown Johnstone
FF: McGrath Bradshaw Proud
Followers: Charman, Black, Power

Int: Leueunburger, Clark, Collier, Rich

Hooper's latest misadventure almost gaurantees McGrath starts the season in the forward line.

I really wanted a way to find a way to get Hawksley in their, and i might swap him with Collier, but i cant really decide.

My team for round 1

B: Drummond Merrett Patfull
HB: Macdonald Clark Adcock
C: Dalziell Rischitelli Brennan
HF: Power Brown Notting
F: Clouston Bradshaw Hooper*
R: Leunberger Black Rich
I/C: Charman T Johnstone Hawksley Proud

Geez, if we win a few clearances and improve our kicking efficiency, its a handy team

Interesting- you are unimpressed with Selwood and Sherman, yet have the players in bold remain in your side. If memory serves, this is pretty much the side that Leigh Matthews described as having failed in 2008. If Shermo and Selwood can be described as not passing muster on last season's performances, then they have quite a few companions, IMHO.

You can't change a whole side in one offseason, we need to pick players from our list :rolleyes:

All those players which you have bolded are better players than Selwood and Sherman. By a long way IMO.

FB: MacDonald Merrett Adcock
HB: Drummond Patfull Coiller
C: Brennan Black Dalziell
HF: Johnstone Brown McGrath
FF: Clarke Bradshaw Shermin
Followers: Charman, Power, Rischitelli

Int: Leueunburger, Rich, Hawksley, Proud

EMG: Notting, Sheldon, Polkinhorne, Henderson

If Notting can rediscover his form then he is back in my 22. I think the likes of Coiller, Proud, Hawsley should be given a good shot at cementing there place. Notable mention to Harding as i believe he could be a good option up forward in the absence of Hooper. Also would like to mention Clousten because he might be able to provide an improved version of the role Mills played in 07 which will help straighten up our stucture. After Hoopers latest offield misdemeanher coupled with his form of 08, IMO he wil find it extremly hard to break back into the side and deservingly so.

Plenty of good info there, thanks everyone. I don't think I've ever made a secret of being a huge wrap on Lachie & I didn't wanna go in half arsed & pick him at CHB over Clarky based on my admiration for his obvious talent & potential and my heart in mouth reaction every time I see Mitch ponder kicking a ball. In all fairness his field kicking tends to be much better as he doesn't have time to go back and think about it. We really have been left in an awesome position as far as our future spine goes and now I think we've had an outstanding draft as far as rebuilding a genuinely powerful midfield group. The pickup in Rockliff of a genuinely versatile crumbing forward is icing on the cake. I don't think I can even answer this thread until I've seen the NAB cup. All this competition for positions should just drive the boys to work harder. I haven't looked forward to the season to come, quite so much, in a fair while. C'mon NAB cup!!!

Interesting that most people have Rich in their side despite (most) never really having seen the kid play senior footy. I'm excited at having the young fella, but let's see how he goes before putting that expectation on him, hey?

Interesting that most people have Rich in their side despite (most) never really having seen the kid play senior footy. I'm excited at having the young fella, but let's see how he goes before putting that expectation on him, hey?

With first year players it's just a guess. I put him in because that's what the experts seem to be indicating.

Come on Belgo… think of the three certainties in life. No, not Death, Taxes and Nu…..

If I believe in santa – I get pressies, in rabbits at Easter – chocolate, and with a #7 draft pick… a rising star winner.

No need to philosophically discuss expectations by using liquid in a glass here.

These are all proven facts.
:p

Voss indicated at the AGM that Rich is one of the most senior ready draftees he's seen. I expect they are keen to start developing him early, within reason.

God I wish I had a tape recorder with me. Voss delivered so much insight on a manner of issues for over half an hour, and I keep remembering tidbits at random. Hopefully Chez and Coz have put some of it away in their memory banks.

Remove this Banner Ad

team for 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back