News Teams: 1st Elimination Final - Carlton v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't see your point because Ellard is in form and Browne isn't.

Since when is Browne 'in form' anyways
And that can't change?

I said Ellard will play, but jump to conclusions and miss the point if you want to. All I said is that Browne doesn't deserve to be criticised if the match committee select him to play. And if the two were in form, I'd have Browne in the side ahead of Ellard. I suspect a few supporters have Browne on their black list and pegged as a soft player. Purely because Lindsay Thomas shirt fronted him this year.
Browne has never produced the string of performances that Ellard has over the past month.
I agree 100% Ellard has shown more in the last 4 weeks than Browne has in his whole career
Disagree.

After his first season, Browne's form was more promising than Russell's form at the time. Fremantle asked for Browne as part of the Warnock trade. Also had a good run against Adelaide, Brisbane, St Kilda and WC last year when he played as a run with midfielder. Similar player and role to Ellard, but is out of favour with the match committee. If Browne could lift his intensity, second efforts and tackling to Ellard's level, he'd be picked first IMO. Browne is a longer kick with both feet and can take a terrific hanger.

I do not know what you have posted previously but as to your added comments:
1. I agree with you entirely that the best team should be played in finals.
2. If the m/c have decided that Billy-bob be traded then this should have no infuence one way or the other over whether he should play. I disagree that "maximising our return" should have anything to do with a decision to play him for the reasons you previously gave and with which I have agreed. You are inconsistent.
3. I agree that Billy-bob has been a very good player for the club (I would emphasise "has"). I agree he does not deserve to be wiped like a dirty arse.
4. Billy-bob demonstrated last year that he was not going to be able to keep up with a team seeking finals success. He is to weak for the KPD and too slow for the small forwards. He is a good mark but poor spoiler (witness Armfield's broken nose in his last act in his last senior game against the doggies) and is unreliable under pressure. He was given two tries this year, in my opinion each try was quite unnecessary but was very generous to him having regard perhaps to his years of service. Like Brad Miller for Melbourne, Thornton can be best on ground as often as he likes at the level below, unless we are crueled by injury he should never be selected again.
5. If you believe the sentiment expressed above is unfair then please explain, by reference to a senior game he has played this year, why Thornton would be an asset to our defence. In contrast Walker has had several outstanding games, particularly against Geelong first time round. JA played a really good game against Melbourne and, (although I can understand fans being displeased with him) I think the jury is still out. Sometimes (i.e. not consistently) he does show he can play at the level with real speed, gutsy marks and strong tackles. Even Johnson (who I think is a mistake) has played well in patches - I particularly remember his game against Port as being mistake free and with some physical impact until he got injured. These 3 players at least are ahead of Billy bob for mine.

Where am I inconsistent? When I commented about maximising our return I bracketed (if his form warrants it) which is a rider. From what I've read his form in the last 4 games (at least) warrants his consideration. Can't see that this is inconsistent.

Can't see how you can say his "form last year demonstrated that he was not going to be able to keep up etc".

The CFC website says he probably had his best season and finished 9th in the B&F. It goes on to say that he showed great leadership to our young defenders[B. Does this not sound like something we are in need of now?

At 27 years old, coming off his best season for the club, with demonstrated leadership ability, and form in the Bullants I can't see why he has gone from champ to chump.

Of the players you mentioned as above him I disregard Walker as I don't consider him a similar player to Thornton (although it could be argued that when he is in the backline he is another player who needs a steadying influence around him), hope he plays on HFF this week.

The others have been tried over the last 2 seasons and have been found not up to the challenge on a consistent basis. Thornton has 8 years of history (often punching above his weight) at the senior level and I happen to think that this experience is what we need at the moment.

Genuinely hope I'm wrong but it will be a miserable 400kms home for my wife if our backline lets us down again this week

I would be surprised to see Mumford play. Vision I've seen of him didn't look too positive for him. I'm half expecting to see Reid come back in, with Pyke doing most of the ruckwork, & White providing back-up.

When Mumford did his knee, it was stated it was a 3 week injury. And IIRC, he has only missed one game. Even if he does play, I can't imagine he'd have the same impact he was having prior to the injury. And with Warnock and Jacobs in pretty good touch, it might be an area of the ground we can get an advantage in.

Just a heads up guys, was at training today and Carazzo trained pretty well. Then when the supporters asked him how he was, his response was pretty positive. Based on training i'd expect Carrots to definately play tomorrow

Just a heads up guys, was at training today and Carazzo trained pretty well. Then when the supporters asked him how he was, his response was pretty positive. Based on training i'd expect Carrots to definately play tomorrow

Good news thanks :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone know of a good pub in the carlton area to watch the game tomorrow? Looking for somewhere with a bit of atmosphere and plenty of Blues supporters especially now naughtons is no longer with us I'm drawing blank.

The final frontier for Marc Murphy

Part of the problem was that he had no continuity in training. For the first two thirds of the season he was sore most weeks and struggled to spend time on the track, yet still managed to play on the weekends.

"I struggled to get out there for every session for the first 14 games," he said. "I would only go out there for a bit and do a few run-throughs. If it wasn't one thing, it was another. But I'm feeling a lot fresher now and it's starting to show in my game."

The final frontier for Marc Murphy

Nervous wait on Andrew Carrazzo

Complicating matters for the Blues is the fitness of prime mover Andrew Carrazzo (hamstring), who remained doubtful after the Blues trained under grey skies at ANZ Stadium yesterday.

"It'll be up to the player and we'll sit down after training here, but we'll try to get him up if we can," said Ratten, mindful that the Blues have not won in Sydney since 1993.

Should Carrazzo fail to prove his fitness, emergency Chris Yarran will earn a reprieve after being dropped from the 22 defeated by the Dockers.

Nervous wait on Andrew Carrazzo

100% correct BD :thumbsu:
100% wrong to portray Ellard as world beater who has played better footy than Browne. Some people. They only read what they want to read and jump on one point to hammer it home. Clearly the club still views Browne as a depth player with his inclusion in the squad. If Ellard had beaten Medhurst in a contest on the wing, hit the target and run hard to receive to goal from from 50, you would have jizzed in your pants. IMO, Ellard doesn't have as much as ability as Browne, but has worked hard and now plays a similar role in the firsts. If Browne hits form again, he'd be comfortably be the better player. Good to hear that Browne took a hanger in terrible conditions today to back up one of my points about the two.

Promoting Ellard to the list isn't a certainty.

100% wrong to portray Ellard as world beater who has played better footy than Browne. Some people. They only read what they want to read and jump on one point to hammer it home. Clearly the club still views Browne as a depth player with his inclusion in the squad.

Good to hear that Browne took a big hanger in the VFL final today.;)

If Ellard had beaten Medhurst in a contest on the wing, hit the target and run hard to receive to goal from from 50, you would have jizzed in your pants. IMO, Ellard doesn't have as much as ability as Browne, but has worked hard and now plays a similar role in the firsts.

If Browne clicks, I reckon he'd be the better of the two.

Just because someone doesn't agree with you Generale, you always take pot shots at them.

I rate Ellard more than I do Browne.

We all have opinions & that is mine ....... deal with it !!!!!!!

Just because someone doesn't agree with you Generale, you always take pot shots at them.

I rate Ellard more than I do Browne.

We all have opinions & that is mine ....... deal with it !!!!!!!

sounds like a few posters around here Aph....

Does anyone know of a good pub in the carlton area to watch the game tomorrow? Looking for somewhere with a bit of atmosphere and plenty of Blues supporters especially now naughtons is no longer with us I'm drawing blank.

You could try The Great Northern - has a few big screens, a little bit of Carlton paraphernalia (in the front bar), and people go there to watch games. It usually has a cross section of supporters, but you will find it's mainly Carlton supporters there

It's on the corner of Pigdon & Drummond Street, Carlton North

Also does decent counter meals, try the calamari dish if you're into seafood. And there's also the standard Chicken parmigiana dish which they do pretty well, and the steak is good too. Don't think they do nachos anymore, but you could try.

Apart from the Great Northern, there really isn't much in the area to choice from anymore.

You could try The Great Northern - has a few big screens, a little bit of Carlton paraphernalia (in the front bar), and people go there to watch games. It usually has a cross section of supporters, but you will find it's mainly Carlton supporters there

It's on the corner of Pigdon & Drummond Street, Carlton North

Also does decent counter meals, try the calamari dish if you're into seafood. And there's also the standard Chicken parmigiana dish which they do pretty well, and the steak is good too. Don't think they do nachos anymore, but you could try.

Cheers, This sounds good.
Apart from the Great Northern, there really isn't much in the area to choice from anymore.

Cheers, This sounds good.

100% wrong to portray Ellard as world beater who has played better footy than Browne. Some people. They only read what they want to read and jump on one point to hammer it home. Clearly the club still views Browne as a depth player with his inclusion in the squad. If Ellard had beaten Medhurst in a contest on the wing, hit the target and run hard to receive to goal from from 50, you would have jizzed in your pants. IMO, Ellard doesn't have as much as ability as Browne, but has worked hard and now plays a similar role in the firsts. If Browne hits form again, he'd be comfortably be the better player. Good to hear that Browne took a hanger in terrible conditions today to back up one of my points about the two.

Promoting Ellard to the list isn't a certainty.
both WA lads so place for both assured!

Remove this Banner Ad

News Teams: 1st Elimination Final - Carlton v Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back