Teams Freo Vs Adelaide Round!

Remove this Banner Ad

I count 8 out of the starting 18 that have played 100 games or more (I don't think Duff man is up to 100?), which is a pretty inexperienced side. On the other hand it is very exciting with the likes of Mayne, Ballantyne, Silvagni, Morabito and Barlow in the team. I think we can have a good win first up. :)

Not even up to 50.

Harves has traditionally been pretty conservative with his R1 team so I can't see him dropping Dessie or Hase. They'd be certainties, along with Kep who we unfortunately need to spell Sandi but who otherwise doesn't really deserve a game.

So that leaves Scham, Dodd, Crowls and Subes. Dodd seems like a certainty to be dropped after virtually no preseason and SNOS taking his place, and Scham playing WAFL last week would indicate he's out of favour too.

So that leaves Crowls and Subes for the final spot. Suban has had a pretty ordinary preseason and I reckon Harves will want Crowls to tag their VB, so, as unlikely as it seemed a few months ago, it wouldn't surprise me if Suban plays WAFL this weekend unfortunately.

I hope it will be

OUT - Schammer, Dodd, Kep

but I reckon it could be

OUT - Schammer, Dodd, Suban

If Morabito keeps growing maybe he could pinch hit in the ruck a-la Koutofides?
But I agree our back up ruckman situation sucks...Kep is okay around thr ground but can't ruck. Zac is good in the ruck but a liability around the ground.

I think that'd be a massive ask for a young bloke like him and I don't think ~190cm is big enough to have any effect on any ruck contests. From memory, Daniel Gilmore was about that height but he had a leap that defied belief.

So I'd say it's probably not a good idea. Get JLo a knee transplant, we'd have one of the best ruck combinations Western Australia's ever seen if he was still running around out there :(

This is an interesting team because there's a LOT at the bottom end experience wise, a fair few at the top end (especially if Hase and...gak!...Headland play) and very little in the middle (say 50-100 games). Presumably this is going to bite us in the ass down the track, and it's a savage indictment on the recruiting in the Connolly era.

Out;
Jay van Berlo (haven't seen him do too much to warrant a gig in round 1)
Steven Dodd (haven't seen him do too much to warrant a gig in round 1)
Ryan Crowley (a great niggler but his patchy form from a player who has patchy skills at best means he misses out) or Anthony Morabito (is he still suffering stage fright?)

In;
Des Headland (If fit he's a vital component of our new forward structure)
Byron Schammer (helping keep Palmer and DeBoers spots warm)
Keplar Bradley (no Clarke)
Paul Haselby (Paul Haselby)
Nick Suban (Nick Suban)

Out;
Jay van Berlo (haven't seen him do too much to warrant a gig in round 1) :eek:
Steven Dodd (haven't seen him do too much to warrant a gig in round 1)
Ryan Crowley (a great niggler but his patchy form from a player who has patchy skills at best means he misses out) or Anthony Morabito (is he still suffering stage fright?) :eek:

In;
Des Headland (If fit he's a vital component of our new forward structure)
Byron Schammer (helping keep Palmer and DeBoers spots warm)
Keplar Bradley (no Clarke)
Paul Haselby (Paul Haselby)
Nick Suban (Nick Suban)

Van Berlo is in 18 - very doubtful he wont be playing & deserves to be there
Hasleby has done nothing all pre season & perhaps he is taking his contractual dispute from last year to heart, because he hasn't played with much of that all pre season

Gotta say im not sold on this lineup.

There are a couple of pleasant surprises (Van Berlo, Frodo) but too many head scratchers - I will feel pretty putrid if Dodd gets a gig.

Wheres Hinkley/Walters/Clarke??

Adelaide don't look too bad, it will be a close game i feel.

Van Berlo is in 18 - very doubtful he wont be playing & deserves to be there
Hasleby has done nothing all pre season & perhaps he is taking his contractual dispute from last year to heart, because he hasn't played with much of that all pre season

I thought someone would say that. I suppose the same goes for Morabito as well. I wouldn't have thought Mora would be more deserving of a spot than Headland, Haselby or Suban though.
Having said that I hope JVB and Mora prove me extremely wrong!

Hase, Dodd, Suban and Schammer

Dodd can play a backline role or a midfield tagging role. Has good endurance. I also hear his name mentioned in relation to rucking, so that is another option. We will need his versatility, as bad as his skills might sometimes be he is a much better option to Keplar.

I'd be almost reluctant to name Hase Suban and Schammer, as they're all short arses, but when the other options are Headland (Shit preseason form) and Crowley (hasn't done enough, very bad skills) the argument is settled.

All in all, I'm happy with this team. Good to see the under performing old blokes named on the bench.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both of these descriptions apply to McPhee and yet he is a shoe-in for a game. Must be something in his contract.
I don't think you could argue that Headland or Crowley have had better preseasons than McPhee.

Would you want them ahead of McPhee? I don't.

I don't think you could argue that Headland or Crowley have had better preseasons than McPhee.

Would you want them ahead of McPhee? I don't.

i agree with you el jefe. would want mcphee ahead of both, although i would have all three of those players ahead of dodd. still the lineup is about as expected. will be good when rhys and timmy ruffles are back and firing, means two more duds get to play wafl

Strong rumours that Scott Thompson might be a late withdrawal after he tweaked a hamstring at training. We could be a massive chance this week :thumbsu:

Suban, Keplar and Hase are definate.

I'd say Headland, Schammer, Dodd, Crowley are all playing for 1 spot and personally going on pre-season form I wouldn't play any of them if De Boer was fit.

Agree with that SS. There's been a few suggestions that Hase will miss which is insane, Suban's a walk up start and someone has to support Sandilands.

Surely Dodd won't play after his preparation and Silvagni has taken his spot. Crowley and Dessie have had problems over the summer and Schammer had 30 possessions for Claremont so I'm tipping Byron to take the 22nd spot.

Agree with that SS. There's been a few suggestions that Hase will miss which is insane, Suban's a walk up start and someone has to support Sandilands.

Surely Dodd won't play after his preparation and Silvagni has taken his spot. Crowley and Dessie have had problems over the summer and Schammer had 30 possessions for Claremont so I'm tipping Byron to take the 22nd spot.

That's almost too logical.

i agree with you el jefe. would want mcphee ahead of both, although i would have all three of those players ahead of dodd. still the lineup is about as expected. will be good when rhys and timmy ruffles are back and firing, means two more duds get to play wafl
Yeah, I'm not a big rap for Dodd but he can play a lock down role pretty well and is reasonably reliable. I wouldn't class Headland or Crowley (of late) as reliable.

Lets hope they play for Subi this weekend :):thumbsu:

Do we need Dodd and Silvagni though, especially with Porplyza not playing?

walker, hentschel, tippett as the key forwards, scott stevens and mckernan i would say could go forward as well, as bock and rutten will have the key defender positions. id say there is a spot for sos. he has also played as a key forward before as well so, could even provide an extra tall target if required

walker, hentschel, tippett as the key forwards, scott stevens and mckernan i would say could go forward as well, as bock and rutten will have the key defender positions. id say there is a spot for sos. he has also played as a key forward before as well so, could even provide an extra tall target if required

Sorry KPR, I was unclear. I meant SNOS is in, so Dodd is out.

We have plenty of options down back, send Dodd to East Freo unless we get an injury or someone struggles for form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams Freo Vs Adelaide Round!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back