Teams Freo Vs Adelaide Round!

Remove this Banner Ad

Is honestly the best looking Freo team on paper for ever, lots of youth, run but also a dash of experience. They are playing one ruck and so are we, but we will dominate in this area. Good game coming up - can't wait - really looking forward to it:thumbsu:

Though just 3 weeks prior v Melbourne he looked a million bucks in the forward line - I like him in the team with Mayne, Ballas & Headland all alternating between half forward, forward pocket & bench

I agree Plugga, Des a full forward, with those others around him will go alright. Better than Kepler, that's for sure.

I agree Plugga, Des a full forward, with those others around him will go alright. Better than Kepler, that's for sure.

how would you know that? he has never been given an extended run at full forward at afl level. and the best form he has ever shown was at the bendigo bombers at full forward where he kicked a mountain of goals. Des has the potential to be a star at full forward, but his attitude stinks and his body is getting old. he'd want to play well. otherwise he'll get dropped like he should and possibly never make it back. Kepler always seems to find the goals, its actually quite amazing how he stumbles arse backwards into them half the time :D

Clearly that's Tippett.
He's our best ruckman by far after all.

true, i think we are all so used to him being played forward that you forget that he's a ruckman, although some of your bretheren will have us believe that he will kick 200 goals this year ;).

whats griffin like as a forward? i ask because if tippet does have to play ruck because of sandi dominating, where would griffin play other than ruck?

agreed. headland will need to show a hell of a lot more than what he has shown both in round 22 last year, where he played the most dispicable, pathetic game i have ever seen any player play, and also in this preseason where he was ok against a B-grade side in melbourne, but bloody ordinary against geelong, even when we were looking a million dollars. if he provides a target, shows good forwardline pressure skills and picks up a couple of goals he'll have done his job.

Couldn't agree more with this. That last sentence is a big if though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I still can't see what the case is against Headland other than people don't like him. He's an AFL standard footballer who is good for 2 goals a game, has above average disposal on both sides of body, and usually tops our I50 count.

30-40 goal a year forwards do not grow on trees and the AFL is full of 20-30 goal a year forwards. What makes Headland so special that he has to be dropped?

What would it take to actually satisfy some of you fellas??

He looked unfit in the NAB games though DRD.

Suban's form hasn't been great and Schammer turns the ball over but those 2 will play ahead of Dessie. Kepler and Hase are certainties.

Harvey said we won't be selecting under done players so that rules out Headland, Dodd and Crowley. Headland will hopefully play well this week and next for Subi then come in against the Cats round 3.

He looked unfit in the NAB games though DRD.

Suban's form hasn't been great and Schammer turns the ball over but those 2 will play ahead of Dessie. Kepler and Hase are certainties.

Harvey said we won't be selecting under done players so that rules out Headland, Dodd and Crowley. Headland will hopefully play well this week and next for Subi then come in against the Cats round 3.

as far as im aware crowley is as per usual fit as a fiddle. he is just out of form. i think crowls will play, as someone is going to have to stop thompson/vanberlo/goodwin

as far as im aware crowley is as per usual fit as a fiddle. he is just out of form. i think crowls will play, as someone is going to have to stop thompson/vanberlo/goodwin

He had an interrupted summer though and as you said his form has been down.

I'd prefer to give the young blokes a job. Hill was used in a run with role a couple of times last year, VB is accountable and it would be interesting to see Suban play as a tagger too.

Hase and Barlow will be going head to head with 2 of them so we only need one of the afore mentioned players to tag.

No Dom, they will use MJ as the backup ruck like last year when he was playing well.

That's the best option but Johnson's boots in the pre-season were similar to basketball boots with the ankle supports. That suggests his ankles are still an issue.

Kepler won't play WAFL tomorrow IMO.

He had an interrupted summer though and as you said his form has been down.

I'd prefer to give the young blokes a job. Hill was used in a run with role a couple of times last year, VB is accountable and it would be interesting to see Suban play as a tagger too.

Hase and Barlow will be going head to head with 2 of them so we only need one of the afore mentioned players to tag.

im all for giving the young guys a go. but suban and hill are our two best kicking mids, who can hurt the opposition the most, i dont think i want either to give a hard tag, because it may have a negative impact on their own game, which we need too much. Hill will be accountable either way, but im not sure i want him to sacrifice his game to stop one of these players. we need the likes of suban and hill get the ball on the wing and drilling it to pav. crowley and JVB are less damaging and can sacrifice their games and not have a big impact to our midfield drive.

i will add by the way, ive never been a great fan of JVB, but i must say that this preseason he has impressed me and im really gald to see him get a gig. i think he ahs definetly worked hard enough for it. he is bloody tough too, which is something i always love to see. great work jvb :thumbsu:

I still can't see what the case is against Headland other than people don't like him. He's an AFL standard footballer who is good for 2 goals a game, has above average disposal on both sides of body, and usually tops our I50 count.

30-40 goal a year forwards do not grow on trees and the AFL is full of 20-30 goal a year forwards. What makes Headland so special that he has to be dropped?

What would it take to actually satisfy some of you fellas??

My comment was based on his fitness. Has he come through the pre-season with a strong fitness base ?. He has been out with niggling injuries and as such MUST have 2 full games behind him.

We keep getting told that we should not settle for mediocre, well that means players who hit the ground must be 100% fit and match hardened. At present I query that Des is match hardened, so he must come through Subiaco and prove he is 100%.

He has broken down too often in the past, so I would be cautious about bringing him into the senior team until he has had a couple more hitouts. He in alot of ways should be treated similar to Palmer, eased back.

When Des is on song he is good, but his body has not allowed him to sing well for the last season or two.

Keyboard cowboys.

There is always a spot for Des in our best 22.

Keyboard cowboys.

There is always a spot for Des in our best 22.

hang on, lets be fair, des when on song is a great player, but he hasnt exactly delivered much since coming here, admittedly some of that is due to injuries, but in general he has been underwhelming. 0 top ten B&F places since he has been here..... i mean even dodd got one last year :eek:, my biggest problem with him was in round 22 last year, and so far this year, he has looked unfit, uninterested and in general pretty poor. i think if fit and with the right attitude he could be a good full forward, but he'd want to play a hell of a lot better than what he has in his last few outings... including round 22 last year. i will never forget that performance. never seen a player do what he did in that game, which was give up at the first bounce. has a long way to go for him to earn his way back into my heart

hang on, lets be fair, des when on song is a great player, but he hasnt exactly delivered much since coming here, admittedly some of that is due to injuries, but in general he has been underwhelming. 0 top ten B&F places since he has been here..... i mean even dodd got one last year :eek:, my biggest problem with him was in round 22 last year, and so far this year, he has looked unfit, uninterested and in general pretty poor. i think if fit and with the right attitude he could be a good full forward, but he'd want to play a hell of a lot better than what he has in his last few outings... including round 22 last year. i will never forget that performance. never seen a player do what he did in that game, which was give up at the first bounce. has a long way to go for him to earn his way back into my heart

Everyone has a scape goat. Des is yours.

Mine is Mundy, but I'm holding fire at the mo'.

I would never count him out of our best team though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Teams Freo Vs Adelaide Round!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back