Terry Wallace prefers to listen to the radio pre match rather than prepare for the game ahead?

Remove this Banner Ad

Didnt TanMan admit last year that the tigers coaches listen to the game's telecast in the box?

For Injuries?

or

Advice from Bucks? :D

5 years is a long time at the one joint.

Weren't Richmond where Hawthorn were when TanMan rolled up?

What hasn't Hawthorn achieved in that time? :p

"We sat down and discussed what's best for the footy club, what's the best for me, what's best for us as a group," he said yesterday.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25140363-19742,00.html

So if it the best now it has been the best thing for the past 4 years.

Clubs change, perhaps they have weighed up the advantages/disadvantages of the media work and found the balance has shifted and the media work isn't required this year whereas they found it to their advantage in previous years. An AFL coach's job isn't simply moving around magnets on a board.

Its funny the 2 biggest contributers to this thread are Hawthorn and Doggies supporters. Given the Doggies sacked him I dont understand the dislike and its been nearly 5 years already hawthorn supporters you really need to let it go.

Im sure Terry can walk and talk at the same time if he is still preparing for a game in the last hour I would be very dissapointed all the work should be done well before game day.

Terry should be remembered as one of histories greatest geniuses.
He has managed to coach at AFL level for 10+ years with absolutely no coaching ability whatsoever. Normally coaches with his ability don’t last past 2 season such as Peter Rhode. Terry is a great spin doctor and has done an amazing job to bluff two AFL clubs to leave him in charge for so long.

Damn, I thought that was a bad dream.

As for Terry, he listens to the pre-match so he knows exactly when he's being talked about.

Maybe he'll walk out on the Tigers when it all gets too hard towards the end of the season.

Watch out Roosy.

I'm not saying they are stupid, it just wasn't rocket science. If Cousins is a success are people going to forget he took Kent Kingsley, Gourdis? Yep - because 1 out of 2 or 3 aint bad for Terry.

Malthouse/Leigh Matthews win games because they know what to do and they do it. They might not be reinventing the wheel but it's a more successful strategy then whatever Wallace uses. Astrology?

I would suggest that 1 out of 3 is a good strike rate when you are talking about the PSD/last pick of the draft.

I've never said that Terry is fantastic but because much of the arguments around footy are extreme I think he probably gets a harder time than he deserves. A little bit.

Malthouse is probably a bit overrated too. The drovers dog could have coached West Coast to those flags. Matthews on the other hand has had some luck with timing but still seems to have the magic touch. I'd be wanting to catch up and have a chat with him if I was any club

:thumbsu: Spot on!!!! Terry said that Richmond had a much better list at the time, which they did but Terry has failed by either:

1. Not developing the list properly to fullfil its true potential
or
2. Didn't draft correctly to enhance the list they had (Tambling/Franklin)
or
3. Both of the above!

Which do you think it was?:D:p

He never said that if Richmond are playing at 2pm, then he's listening to talkback at 1.30pm. If he's playing on a Friday night for instance, why shouldn't he take an hour or two out of his Saturday or Sunday to listen to some pre-match discussion. I enjoy doing that as well, and Wallace strikes me as being open-minded enough to consider any new point of discussion that may be made about his team. Also, I reckon most coaches listen to pre-game discussion. At least Wallace is willing to admit it.

I also thought his Tuesday press conferences were a good idea. Speak for an hour or so once a week, and he shouldn't need to be available for any other non matchday media commitment.

The one thing I would be a little put about if I was a Richmond member was him saying he was scaling back his commitments to focus all his energies on the Tigers. It straight away makes one wonder why he wasn't doing that before. But I'm pretty sure he didn't mean that the way it sounded.

I'll repeat this. The last pick in the second draft. Every team had used all there picks, Richmond were the only team in the entire league with a draft pick.

I'm not saying they are stupid, it just wasn't rocket science. If Cousins is a success are people going to forget he took Kent Kingsley, Gourdis? Yep - because 1 out of 2 or 3 aint bad for Terry.

Malthouse/Leigh Matthews win games because they know what to do and they do it. They might not be reinventing the wheel but it's a more successful strategy then whatever Wallace uses. Astrology?

You're a bit tough on Gourdis aren't you. Why have you brought a 19 year rookie in this conversation ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re: Too little, too late Terry

well when the star player of he team (richo) can'not kick from 10 meters out you will not blame the coach

Yet that same bloke has averages 4 a game against your inept mob over the past few seasons.

Not to mention the 7 - 1 record Wallace has against you guys since he took over at Richmond.

There is always a balancing act for coaches between coaching the team and promoting the club brand(media work). Coaches are critisized from time to time for not having the mix right,ie too much focus on promotion(sheedy, wallace) or not enough focus on promotion(laidley).

Sometimes the club will push the coach to do media type work because

a)it promotes the brand and;
b)it is extra remuneration that the coach will get that the club doesn't have to pay itself(there is no salary cap on coaches).

Its practically impossible to know whether the coach has taken his eye off the ball coaching the team, without being at the club.

However you get the feeling that since Greg Miller was sacked, Terry knew that his power and support base was dwindling and the writing was on the wall unless he could pull a good ladder finish this year;hence his concentration on pure coaching.

Just as a personal opinion, as a fan I would love to see our coach concentrate on purely coaching the team. A bit of media here and there but nothing overboard. I was uncomfortable with Wallace on Talking football, as I was uncomfortable with Eade on weekly radio programs and television appearances. But thats just me. At the end of the day, a coach will be judged purely on his win/loss record. The rest of it is just conservation.

Re: Too little, too late Terry

Yet that same bloke has averages 4 a game against your inept mob over the past few seasons.

Not to mention the 7 - 1 record Wallace has against you guys since he took over at Richmond.

And the 1 he has lost was as a result of a blatantly incorrect umpiring decision against richo who put the tigers in front with seconds to go. I'd count it as 8-0 really.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25140363-19742,00.html

His next love - listening to talkback radio and pre-match discussion - has also been a casualty as Wallace focuses all his energies on the Tigers.

Strange unit Terry.
4 wasted years and finally the penny drops.
As everyone in AFL says evety little % counts.

I've got a good mate from the cricket club who was an AFL player (former Hawk, actually) who used to play his Playstation on the morning/arvo before his 100+ matches.

Surely he could've been doing some last minute prep for the match? You know, limbering up or something.

John Kennedy Snr used to do his gardening, didn't he?

Fair dinkum mate, you're scratching the bottom of the barrel now in your attempts to disparage the bloke.

Only Terry Wallace could have a back page article in the thrusday Herald Sun and a follow up feature Q&A in the Friday Herald Sun to announce he was doing less media this year.

yes amusing.

Will El Tel have a press conference say round 4 and ses a powerpoint prsentation to show how much less media he is doing?

I've got a good mate from the cricket club who was an AFL player (former Hawk, actually) who used to play his Playstation on the morning/arvo before his 100+ matches.

Surely he could've been doing some last minute prep for the match? You know, limbering up or something.

John Kennedy Snr used to do his gardening, didn't he?

Fair dinkum mate, you're scratching the bottom of the barrel now in your attempts to disparage the bloke.

legend has it that Luke "Rhino" O'Sullivan enjoyed some unskinny bop pre match (to relieve tension)

Only Terry Wallace could have a back page article in the thrusday Herald Sun and a follow up feature Q&A in the Friday Herald Sun to announce he was doing less media this year.
Not to mention the time he spent on Mark Doran's SEN program today. Maybe he just needs to get one final media fix before the season proper.

Didnt TanMan admit last year that the tigers coaches listen to the game's telecast in the box?

For Injuries?

or

Advice from Bucks? :D

Funny stuff coming from a supporter of a team who has performed even worse than us since 2001 :thumbsu: Well done Gumby :rolleyes:

I'm not his biggest fan but if he's still fine tuning his game plan 2 hours before a game then yeah, there is something to worry about.

How come all the negativaty toward Terry comes from Hawthorn & Bulldogs supporters?
You are a bitter bunch

Lol, there are alot more people that think terry is a hack then just hawk and doggie fans,

Most hawk fans who dislike him that I know, actually know the guy is an absolute wanka

Plus how are so many richmond fans so supportive of him, when he hasn't done or proved anything in his time there, his coaching record is pitiful and the amount of excuses he has made over 4YEARS now!

Trust me we aint bitter about anything, if I was a richmond supporter I would have no faith in him to carry this up and coming very good side to a premiership, i would be hoping he is gone and someone who actually knows how to coach and tactically know what he is doing takes over and can produce this potentially great side into a premiership side

Remove this Banner Ad

Terry Wallace prefers to listen to the radio pre match rather than prepare for the game ahead?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back