Thai Soccer Team Trapped In Cave

Remove this Banner Ad

A Thai soccer team who were looking for a little adventure whilst caving have become trapped after floodwaters blocked their exit.

Military divers have located the boys after over a week in the cave and have brought in food, medical supplies whilst an escape is planned.

The boys may need to be taught how to swim and dive or they may need to wait months for the flood waters to recede.

Good luck lads, it’s going to be an incredible tale for your grandkids one day!

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/w...t/news-story/ebefeb39d227fdaa650df0aacce7429f

wouldn't a large flexible pipe be easier and safer?

bigtoys-inde-dyna-movingtunnels-ec625.jpg

easily assembled and de-watered

Apparently rescuers are going to see if they can get them out in the next 24hrs. Big storm approaching and expected to flood cave further.

Otherwise they may be stuck for 4 months until monsoonal flooding recedes.

Is there no room for buddy breathing? ie take them out through the water filled chambers sharing breathers or having spare breathers?

Most of them can't swim at all let alone use diving gear, they can bring them all gear but they need to teach them all how to use it and then assist them in getting out. Apparently some of the worlds most experienced divers struggled to get to them so it's not an easy thing

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Waiting a few months seems to be the safest bet. Yes it's a long wait but they've got their wholes lives ahead of them, the diving option seems too risky.

Problem with that, heavy rains whole thing floods everyone dies

Diving is not a simple task. For any amateur divers or snorkelers around, getting a couple of metres under water kills your ears if you can't equalise effectively.

Heard on the radio this morning that they're expecting a huge amount of rain, and the four-month option may no longer be possible.

May need to either try and drill in to rescue them or at least a ventilation/supply hole.

The risk of this is causing the cave to collapse or fill with surface water.

A very dire position to be in.

May need to bring in some massive water pumps. Or someone has very little time to engineer and transport such suitable pumps and hosing.

May need to either try and drill in to rescue them or at least a ventilation/supply hole.

The risk of this is causing the cave to collapse or fill with surface water.

A very dire position to be in.
I heard they were 1km under ground though? That's a long way to drill, and probably pretty risky too.

Ventilation is an interesting one though. I wonder what the oxygen supply is like?

I heard they were 1km under ground though? That's a long way to drill, and probably pretty risky too.

Ventilation is an interesting one though. I wonder what the oxygen supply is like?
I didn’t think they were down that deep. More so 1km or so in to the cave (relatively horizontally), though I stand to be corrected.

I didn’t think they were down that deep. More so 1km or so in to the cave (relatively horizontally), though I stand to be corrected.
The news said a couple of nights ago that they were four kilometres deep into the cave, and up to 1km below ground.

Edit: found this diagram by 9News
http%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2F_%2Fmedia%2F2018%2F07%2F05%2F09%2F46%2F050718-Thaimap.JPG

the general rule is 10-30m per day for drilling and that's an exploration drill hole to small for a person to fit through.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more criticism of them going that far into the cave in the first place or being allowed to, you get a lot of heavy downpours in Thailand so I imagine that cave would get flooded quite often especially during the monsoon season, it's not like a freak event that no one could've predicted.

I'm surprised there hasn't been more criticism of them going that far into the cave in the first place or being allowed to, you get a lot of heavy downpours in Thailand so I imagine that cave would get flooded quite often especially during the monsoon season, it's not like a freak event that no one could've predicted.
Apparently the coach will be facing charges for putting the kids in danger.

Apparently the coach will be facing charges for putting the kids in danger.

So he should, you can't really blame the kids for doing something stupid like that but the coach should have known better.

The whole reason a cave exist is erosion. what a terrible decision.

It's probably not the first or last bad decision to be made

Remove this Banner Ad

Thai Soccer Team Trapped In Cave

Remove this Banner Ad

Back