Toast Thank you Neeld.

Remove this Banner Ad

I have nothing to thank Neeld for until we are playing finals. What he has done could work, but it could also backfire incredibly.

I have nothing to thank Neeld for until we are playing finals. What he has done could work, but it could also backfire incredibly.

But of course we will give him our full support until such a time as we have to knife him in the back. ;)

Think you guys have had a very solid offseason (FA losses aside).

But cutting eight players, you guys would have to go pretty deep into the draft. How many 'live' picks do you have now?

Think you guys have had a very solid offseason (FA losses aside).

But cutting eight players, you guys would have to go pretty deep into the draft. How many 'live' picks do you have now?
5 and 1 for the PSD. In the 5 will be Viney and at least 1 rookie upgrade; Nicholson and/or Magner.

Reckon Jetta was pretty lucky given Byrnes inclusion, Petterd was a 50/50 i reckon, but good luck to the lads

While keeping lid firmly on and keeping my expections realistic, a clean out was inevitable and for the most part I've agreed with the way we've gone about it. Whether Neeld is good or not is still to be determined, I think he will be remembered for changing the playing groups additude and reinforcing hard work and fitness; something we have lacked in general for the past 5 seasons or more

Going through an old thread in the bailey era, noticed that people were equally impressed with his efforts early and someone even posted they were excited to see the lineup consist of
Midfield - Spencer Jones Blease Morton
Forwards - Watts Wona Maric Petterd
Backs - Warnock Garland Martin Frawley Buckley

Those deluded souls that think we are no better off will at least admit we are heading in the right direction

Going through an old thread in the bailey era, noticed that people were equally impressed with his efforts early and someone even posted they were excited to see the lineup consist of
Midfield - Spencer Jones Blease Morton
Forwards - Watts Wona Maric Petterd
Backs - Warnock Garland Martin Frawley Buckley

385568_260296824028607_1067756688_n.jpg

Gawd. How times change.

I think that, in general, the right calls on players have been made over the past few weeks. The reality is that the club can't afford 2013 to play out as 2012 did. A shake up of the playing list was needed, and the players that got the can have had ample oppourtunity to prove their worth.

The players that have been brought in aren't going to change the world. An across the board improvement is required for that. Hopefully, the playing list that is being assembled for 2013 will consist of members that fully buy in to the direction of the club, and the game plan that is being adopted. Neeld's statement 12 months ago that he wanted Melbourne to be the hardest team in the AFL to play against was a bold call. This season he, and the coaching team, have uncovered a large chunk of the existing playing list that just weren't going to cut it in that regard.

Can only hope that there is some across the board improvement next season.

Definitely abit of a shake up that was needed for you guys.

Day 1 of pre-season those players that were only towing the line will hopefully be busting a gut to prove to neeld & the coaching stuff that they deserve to be there. Can only be good for you boys

As others have said, I'll thank Neeld when he shows some on-field results. We had 1 (genuine) win this year, and he's taken a buy high sell low theory to trading.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thread has potential. Im generally happy with smashing the list about, needed to be done. I'm not toasting or roasting Neeld at this point though. We will see.

We've brought internal standards back to our club and that's where it starts.

Now the challenge is to get as many of our players playing to high AFL standards both individually and collectively. This is the challenge of our whole club and it will be a massive effort. Internal standards are the first step though because we need people who push each other and thankfully Neeld is installing this.

Lewis Jetta wouldn't be Lewis Jetta without the support he got at the Swans. At Melbourne he would have just been a Neville.
Yeah your'e right, He is probably capable of what lewis can do but just doesn't doesn't have the support from his teammates. Any bets if Morton ended up at the swans, collingwood or hawthorn. He would of been a star, any player that was drafted from the bailey era had talent but reached no where near their full potential, lets hope that Neeld can change things up a bit. Because these high pick players that we have drafted, were drafted for a reason, I hope neeld can do what bailey can't and get the best out of them.

Why are we thanking Neeld again?

He appears to have zero ability to motivate and develop players.

Morton, Gysberts, Martin and Cook are young players who, with the right attitude, could be (at the very least) servicable players. They're clearly talented enough.

Moloney was our best and fairest winner in 2011, and one of the few players who genuinely seemed passionate about the MFC. He obviously lost faith in a terrific way.

In 2011 we finished with 34 points, 2 points shy of the 10th placed team. We had a higher percentage than Fremantle and finished above a team that managed to make the top four only a year later.

In 2012 we finished on 16 points (less than half of what we had the previous year). 50% of our wins came against an expansion side in their debut season.

****ing Port Adelaide finished above us.

Byrnes, Pederson, Rodan... I don't see them making a huge difference to our team.

We're screwed for another few years at least.

Of course, I'm happy to be proven wrong.

Morton, Gysberts, Martin and Cook are young players who, with the right attitude, could be (at the very least) servicable players. They're clearly talented enough.

Moloney was our best and fairest winner in 2011, and one of the few players who genuinely seemed passionate about the MFC. He obviously lost faith in a terrific way.

In 2011 we finished with 34 points, 2 points shy of the 10th placed team. We had a higher percentage than Fremantle and finished above a team that managed to make the top four only a year later.

In 2012 we finished on 16 points (less than half of what we had the previous year). 50% of our wins came against an expansion side in their debut season.

******* Port Adelaide finished above us.

Byrnes, Pederson, Rodan... I don't see them making a huge difference to our team.

The other day you called players like Morton, Gysberts, Moloney and Rivers spuds.

If you read over it, from a purely footballing P.O.V, it makes sense in the context.

I think the difference is that when bailey was in charge he was shipping out our experienced players and pumping our list with young kids who had no leaders to follow. And the leaders that stayed adapted to this losing culture, they didn't know how to lead Melbourne to a win.

What Neeld has done so far has convinced me far more than Bailey ever did. From what we have seen he doesn't take bull crap from anyone. It seems as though he has picked up on the fact that we have no leaders who have any idea how to win, so he has giving the likes of Rodan, Dawes and Brynes a second chance in our team, they may not be at their peak form, but atleast they have been in grand finals before and they know exactly what it takes to be a great side.

Anyway that is just my opinion, Just trying to a see a bit of light. I personally think that Neeld and the team have done a great job this 'gillette' (lol sell out) trade period.

And at least if he fails, we tried something different instead of just expecting this '5 year plan' to just happen.

Morton, Gysberts, Martin and Cook were obviously players that either did not buy in or, after these last 12 months, showed they weren't capable players. With Neeld coming from the Pies and Misson from Sydney they should both know what type of players makes it and what doesn't in terms of skill, worth ethic and fitness

Moloney was a downhill skier who was LOVED by Bailey. He was able to run one way and not the other without fear or getting in some strife for it. That much is clear. Neeld asked him for more than that and he wasn't up to it. The best part of the trade period was seeing him go.

Our finish in 2011 is irrelevant as we got smashed by 186 points in probably the worst game I've ever seen in my almost 30 years of life. The style Bailey played and the way he ran our club was never, ever, under any circumstances going to take us to the finals.

In 2012 we finished bottom 4 because we finally started playing a game style up that will, eventually, take us somewhere and players were held accountable for the way they went about it. It's the first time in 6 years the players were truly asked to play a defensive style of footy. No wonder we sucked, they didn't know how to do it.

Those 3 aren't necessarily supposed to make a huge difference. They bring experience, a strong work ethic and a willingness to teach those around them what they have learnt from the right culture. They weren't recruited as world beaters but they'll bring more to our side than those let go.

Even if we kept the above players we would be screwed, except now we have a bigger capacity to improve. It's Neeld's team now and the stains of Bailey and BP are disappearing as quickly as he can wash them away.

All this seems very very mean to all those players we have delisted.. Why can't Neeld do what DB did, and tell all those that we de-listed "it's alright guys, if no one picks you up in the draft, we'll re-sign you" like we did a few years ago..?

Not a very nice coach - aren't thry supposed to be everyone's best friend?

All this seems very very mean to all those players we have delisted.. Why can't Neeld do what DB did, and tell all those that we de-listed "it's alright guys, if no one picks you up in the draft, we'll re-sign you" like we did a few years ago..?

Not a very nice coach - aren't thry supposed to be everyone's best friend?
Live how history is colored over.

We picked them up as rookies because it was financially unviable to delist them with contracts FFS.

This shit irks me, reminds me of Bailey after his clean out in 2009.

Lewis Jetta wouldn't be Lewis Jetta without the support he got at the Swans. At Melbourne he would have just been a Neville.

I disagree, he'd be closer to how Sam Blease is tracking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Thank you Neeld.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back