Universal Love Thanks Cyril, 11 amazing years, One of the greatest Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

An absolute legend.

A player unlike any other.

Who was instrumental in a once-in-a-lifetime period of success for the Hawks.

Although he retired at 28, he was away from home from a very young age at private school in Melbourne. I can never fully appreciate the connection he clearly shows with his family and country, but I will always fully appreciate and be grateful for the connection he shared with every single Hawthorn supporter, and every single footy lover. His talents were on display from day one, and his hard work and sacrifice have become clearer and clearer as the end neared.

Good luck to Cyril, and to his family.

I hope he finds his way back to our club and its fans so we might get a chance to say goodbye. And to say thank you.

A beautiful man. There will never be another like him.

This video was posted by Fiona in hawks pride, and illustrates your point perfectly. He left his home at 14 which is tough enough for us white fella's and others but even more difficult for indigenous people who often have a strong bond with home and country. Nearly losing his dad he may have realised there is so much more to life, and we never know when we will be gone from this crazy thing called life. Good on you for putting yourself first, may you have a great life and many babies!

I was there for his very first game down in Tassie in the 2008 pre-season and for his last one earlier this year, with many more in between. What a joy he has been to watch over the past decade! The news this morning was a bit deflating but certainly can't begrudge the little master his retirement. Really going to miss seeing the number 33 running out there week in week out but feel blessed to have been alive to witness his entire career. I wish Cyril all the best in whatever he decides to do post footy. It's been a great ride and I feel confident that he'll keep the mantle of being my favourite player of all time.

First time poster, inspired by the great man.
Taken by the lyrics to Snow Patrol Run to capture today’s feeling:
“Light up, light up. As if you have a choice. Even if you cannot hear my voice. I’ll be right beside you dear.
Louder, louder And we’ll run for our lives
I can hardly speak I understand
Why you can’t raise your voice to say”

A part of the joy of footy ended today champ. Always the greatest and a sheer joy to watch.

You can hear the love and respect

Gutted. Could have played for another years! It's just a game at the end of the day and who knows, after a layoff I think he may come back in a year or two? Is this possible in the scheme of things? I don't think he would ever dream playing for another club especially when a gigantic Hawk tattoo is on his chest. What are the legalities? I honestly believe he will come back after a year or so after a long break as he will miss the Hawks. Okay, perhaps wishful dreaming but at 28 would certainly not say he will never play for the Hawks again!

In the meantime he has really done the right thing by the club announcing this now so we can plan ahead and free up a shit load of salary cap space so we can possible land a Lynch, McGovern or Sloan or all three would be nice for moving ahead next year!

Well played Cyril as you will be missed!

Burnside

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was there for his very first game down in Tassie in the 2008 pre-season and for his last one earlier this year, with many more in between. What a joy he has been to watch over the past decade! The news this morning was a bit deflating but certainly can't begrudge the little master his retirement. Really going to miss seeing the number 33 running out there week in week out but feel blessed to have been alive to witness his entire career. I wish Cyril all the best in whatever he decides to do post footy. It's been a great ride and I feel confident that he'll keep the mantle of being my favourite player of all time.

For me it used to be Gary Ayres but it changed over the last decade and now it's Cyril as to who I want to when I grow up.

We Hawthorn supporters have definitely been blessed.

Was over the moon when we drafted him, I’d commented with friends That we needed a small fwd. saw his debut, was never disappointed.
Was really the instigator of pressure acts and has helped change the way the game is played.
What a great player he’s been. So thankful we have been able to watch him in our colours

Really hard to digest this. I had a gut feeling it was coming but that didnt prepare me.

listening to him i am stoked he has been able to make this tough decision but im absolutely gutted.

Im crossing my fingers and toes that at some point cyril comes back to Victoria as a commentary role of some sort. Love listing to thr superstar talk.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I know as a parent of a young boy that when he was old enough to understand a few things about stuff in general that I was going to hope like hell that he was going to follow footy with passion and the Hawks were going to be his team. From the age of four I started taking him to the games on a regular basis but this was always a dad and son thing and whilst we both liked the ritual I didn't think my boy got it.
Then comes along Cyril and my boy was hooked, jumper had to have a number, 33 it was, then come the Junior members club and the boots, strictly speaking they were copies of Sammy's boots but they came as part of the Rioli club package they were bronze gold and my boy had to have them.
My boy loves his footy now, was turned on to footy by Sizzle, he is playing rep footy today and of all the boots he has gone through and thrown out he still has at the back of his foot locker his Junior Rioli boots.
Shit I just teared up.:'(

So this morning whilst wiping away the tears, I asked my 7 year old if he's sad cos Cyril left. He looked at me smiling and said, "No ... I'm happy".

I was a little confused so I asked, "Why?".

He replied, " Cos now he can be home with his family's and that's the most important thing ... family".

From the mouths of babes folks. We should all be happy for Cyril & celebrate his stellar career.

Maybe if Junior Boy wasn't at the family club, his career would have been shorter. Who knows??? But I'm gonna miss him like I'd miss my own.

The little master, the prince of Waverley! Thanks for everything Junior Boy.

Sent from my travel agent booking tickets for the Tiwi Islands.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Thanks Cyril, 11 amazing years, One of the greatest Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back