Universal Love Thanks Cyril, 11 amazing years, One of the greatest Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not so much unpopular, just downright ignorant of reality.

As Davo pointed out, Cyril would have been flash as candy in any underperforming side were the instructions were 'Cyril - get ball'.

He did sacrifice a lot of his natural brilliance to play the team game but that came back in spades as the hard work of his tackling and run downs became a trademark and a component of our success.

But all icing, no cake? In the week before the 2015 Grand Final Clarko sent the players into groups of 4 and wanted them to write down 4 reasons (1 each) we could, and would win the Grand Final.

Sam Mitchell's group, which included Cyril FWIW, came back with Cyril Rioli, Cyril Rioli, Cyril Rioli, Cyril Rioli.

There may or may not be a little bit of mayo associated with that piece of football folklore, but I can assure you there is no icing.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sam Mitchell says that Cyril was the best one-on-one contested footballer he has ever seen. There would have been a lot of evidence over the years at training.

Sam also says that Cyril was one of the worst at receiving a handball, a basic skill he says he always struggled with.

Sam is very honest.. and it is high praise coming from him.

he is entitled to his views

People are also entitled to have their views be wrong. I could have a view that the earth’s core was made of Pac-Man and that gravity was invisible unicorns holding everything in place. I’d sure be entitled to that view, but boy I’d be ****ing wrong. And anyone with a lick of knowledge would be entitled to tell me how stupid I am.

Sam Mitchell says that Cyril was the best one-on-one contested footballer he has ever seen. There would have been a lot of evidence over the years at training.

Sam also says that Cyril was one of the worst at receiving a handball, a basic skill he says he always struggled with.

Sam is very honest.. and it is high praise coming from him.

I always felt, especially from watching Rioli and Silk and the contrasts they have, that Cyril was almost too instinctive and ahead of the game. He used to burst from stoppage and as Sam said, wasn't really 1 touch with handball receives. Silk on the other hand is ahead of the game but hones in on the moment a bit better.

I always felt, especially from watching Rioli and Silk and the contrasts they have, that Cyril was almost too instinctive and ahead of the game. He used to burst from stoppage and as Sam said, wasn't really 1 touch with handball receives. Silk on the other hand is ahead of the game but hones in on the moment a bit better.

I agree with that.

I can remember Cyril fumbling the ball, when it looked like something was happening too fast, either his thoughts or movement. I know it happened often, but i can't ever remember him missing a golden opportunity that way. It feels like a contradiction. (the only golden opportunities i saw him miss was when he kicked behinds).

Silk, being Silk, always has time. He never looked a fast player, even when he was young and sped away from opposition, a bit like Pendlebury and Michael Tuck.

Cyril was the most exciting player i have seen at hawthorn. Yes that includes buddy and i love buddy. If it wasnt for his hamstrings and the fact that he was controlled on field following instructions he would have been the greatest player to have played the game.

He had everything there will never be another Cyril

Never say never T4P, because I have been praying for exactly that, 'another Cyril," from the moment he retired. And I'll keep praying.

View attachment 560895
Don’t think Cyril’s coming out of retirement any time soon.

Anything is possible ;)
Dew_MarksSaints_246a.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he is entitled to his views
And if you have spent more than two minutes on this forum you would know what Realhawk's views/obsession is.

Despite overseeing the fitness and conditioning of 4 successive Grand Finalists, 3 of them Premiers and 1, the oldest to ever contest let alone win a flag in spite of it being a 30 degrees day - well according to old mate Andrew Russell and his team are worthless duds.

Like an ambulance chasing Dennis Denuto come any sort of injury he is here blowing his 'I told you so' trumpet with so much verve that he regularly oversteps the line into slander.

I once put it to him that AR must be rooting his missus for him to harbour so much irrational hatred. Maybe he gave her back?

And if you have spent more than two minutes on this forum you would know what Realhawk's views/obsession is.

Despite overseeing the fitness and conditioning of 4 successive Grand Finalists, 3 of them Premiers and 1, the oldest to ever contest let alone win a flag in spite of it being a 30 degrees day - well according to old mate Andrew Russell and his team are worthless duds.

Like an ambulance chasing Dennis Denuto come any sort of injury he is here blowing his 'I told you so' trumpet with so much verve that he regularly oversteps the line into slander.

I once put it to him that AR must be rooting his missus for him to harbour so much irrational hatred. Maybe he gave her back?

don't forget he was at Port for their flag as well

People are also entitled to have their views be wrong. I could have a view that the earth’s core was made of Pac-Man and that gravity was invisible unicorns holding everything in place. I’d sure be entitled to that view, but boy I’d be ******* wrong. And anyone with a lick of knowledge would be entitled to tell me how stupid I am.

his view (re Cyril should have played the year out) is not comparable to your "example" above...you or Taita or anyone else may not agree with the view, but as long as he doesn't get personal or abuse, than that poster deserves the same treatment (ie no personal attack on him, such as not being able to pull down strides before taking a dump, which was what was said about him)

I think when truly amazing sporting champions choose to retire early, it adds to the aura and mystique of them (and their career). They could have done more, but they no longer feel the need.

He has indulged the rest of us long enough, and now it is time to move onto what he prioritizes and needs from his life. I am probably romanticizing it way too much, but in a way I think it adds to his amazing story.

A cup of tea and a good lay down and you’ll much feel better old timer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Thanks Cyril, 11 amazing years, One of the greatest Hawks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back