Thanks Hawthorn and Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

We had a lot go our way in this game, hawks played average and we were good and took our chances. Unfortunately in the end we couldnt play a fourth quarter and hawthorn required more then three to put away. A harsh lesson that you always need win your qualifying finals. Blast.

Full credit to the Hawks deserved it, good luck next week.
The Cats gave it there all and just ran out of legs in the end the costs of losing a qualifier.

Anyway loving the Hawks v Cats rivalry and now that the hawks have finally won one we can call it a real rivalry ;)

May it continue for many more years to come.

GO CATS!!

Poor post. Hawthorn backmen can do what they want when it comes to marking contests.
WhaaaaaaaaaAaaaaAaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Cry more lunch lady , thought we were done when they gifted you a goal at three quarter time, but managed to keep my tears to myself.
Why don't you take a leaf out of your champion teams book, and lose with dignity.

What a game. Being there tonight was such an unbelievable experience, one I won't forget in a long time.
Geelong are a brilliant footy club. They just keep pumping out new talent.
What is scary is that they will be out to get us again next year, no doubt in my mind.
What a game.

Poor post. Hawthorn backmen can do what they want when it comes to marking contests.

That is a poor post mate.
Inferring the umps influenced the outcome (if that is what you are doing) is just wrong.

What a team Geelong is ...

After all these years I am going to fess up ...

Just too flipping good ... Finally with armour efforts this season and a bit of luck we manages to just pip them ... What a team... Absolutely massive respect and for all the close games are my second favourite team ...

Go the Hawks win it for the honour now...

Jeez, really? Great ending and credit to Hawthorn but the first half was pretty lacklustre for a prelim.

I wouldn't say the whole first half, but the 1st half of the 1st qtr was ridiculously uncontested for a prelim final. The rest of the game was a cracker.

I wouldn't hold it up as a tear-worthy example of how magnificent our code is though. The most recent game I can think of that elicited that response was the Collingwood/Hawthorn prelim in 2011.

That was the most incredible display of pressure and intensity from siren to siren that I can remember in all my time of watching footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't like the Hawks do you champ? You're not a Geelong supporter that followed Ablett to the Gold Cost are you?

No, I don't like Hawthorn and I hope Sydney roll them again next week - preferably by a point after the siren.

Yes I was a Geelong supporter that followed the little genius to the GC.

Cracking game. First time as an MCC member that I've been consigned to standing room, but I loved it. Obviously would've preferred a seat and was surprised that only 85k (in relativity, of course it's an amazing crowd) were there.
I think it was odd to see Geelong gather such numbers around the ball tonight, considering their plans of letting the opposition win clearances and then winning the football back. Despite the relatively close margin I thought they butchered it too much considering the players they had around the packs, and it really hurt them when kicked into an undermanned defence - so many Hawks goals were just handballs over the top and pass after pass after pass. They still played a seriously exciting, what could probably be described now as Geelong-esque brand of football, and I'm thankful as someone who just eats up all football on offer that they've played such an exciting brand for a long time in the face of Sydney (not so much now), St Kilda and now Fremantle's stodgy defensive style of footy.
I'll probably be there next week provided Fremantle make it and I can get a seat/room to stand in the reserve. I'd think it would be full for a Hawthorn-Sydney rematch considering the South presence and likelihood of Hawks turning out in droves for a kill on the big stage.

Last night's game will live in the memory forever. So much riding on the outcome... So much back story and intrigue. What a contest! What a finish! Another chapter written in this great rivalry between two proud clubs.

Full credit to Geelong. They did themselves proud and gave it everything they had. I never bought into any of this bullshit how the Hawks would win comfortably. People were kidding themselves. Haven't they been watching the previous 14 games played between Hawks and Cats? I always knew it would go down to the wire. I'm just glad it happened to be us in front when the siren sounded. FINALLY!

I'm glad it was a Preliminary Final because it meant approximately 75,000 passionate fans of both sides (of the 85k in attendance) got to witness a September classic and create an atmosphere I've rarely experienced. The scenes after the final siren were unbelievable. Raw emotion on the terraces.

Footy doesn't get any better than that. September. Huge crowd. A knock-out final at the MCG. Arch-enemies. A great contest with a heart-stopping finale. Players from both sides just smashing each other and throwing themselves in. It's the best sporting theatre in the world. When it's played like that, no other sport comes close.

Last night's game will live in the memory forever. So much riding on the outcome... So much back story and intrigue. What a contest! What a finish! Another chapter written in this great rivalry between two proud clubs.

Full credit to Geelong. They did themselves proud and gave it everything they had. I never bought into any of this bullshit how the Hawks would win comfortably. People were kidding themselves. Haven't they been watching the previous 14 games played between Hawks and Cats? I always knew it would go down to the wire. I'm just glad it happened to be us in front when the siren sounded. FINALLY!

I'm glad it was a Preliminary Final because it meant approximately 75,000 passionate fans of both sides (of the 85k in attendance) got to witness a September classic and create an atmosphere I've rarely experienced. The scenes after the final siren were unbelievable. Raw emotion on the terraces.

Footy doesn't get any better than that. September. Huge crowd. A knock-out final at the MCG. Arch-enemies. A great contest with a heart-stopping finale. Players from both sides just smashing each other and throwing themselves in. It's the best sporting theatre in the world. When it's played like that, no other sport comes close.

enjoy the coming week, chewy... terrific game tonight.

congratulations to your club, and best of luck next week.

Just got home and watched the replay, that game had just about everything you could hope to see in a finals contest as a fan.

The Hawks had the better of general play, yet had almost kicked themselves out of the game after the Cats' third quarter surge.

And there were two pretty ordinary umpiring decisions that went against them late in the third, too (Rioli's 'advantage' and the out on the full that wasn't - but really should have been - down the other end).

Then they surged again in the fourth after the Cats looked to have kicked away for good, but almost kicked themselves out of it again. But in the last few minutes, the Hawks showed composure when it counted and pipped the Cats at the post.

For what it's worth, Burgoyne was the difference for mine - beautifully skilled, fantastic reflexes, endurance and hard at the contest. (Mitchell and Johnson also both sensational).

Incredible rivalry, and it just keeps on delivering, time and time again...

Firstly, credit to the Hawks, better team all year and deserve their place in the big one, they stood up in the last when it mattered and have as we all know been bitterly unlucky not to win a match against the cats in many of their last encounters. I am so proud of the way the cats are going despite the loss, lots of great young guys coming through and hopefully we can improve and have another crack next year. Hope the Hawks get the job done next week, sick of the defensive football the dockers and swans play, love the Hawks style, far better game to watch and for me still the team to beat come grand final day!
why? because our style of play beat you? the game at Skilled was one of the most exciting ever..

Good game. Went to watch it live and thoroughly enjoyed it. Am glad this ridiculous Kennett curse cr*p can now be put to bed too. Got very boring to listen to/read about.

Well put.

Shattered but at the same time proud to be a supporter of my fantastic club.

Respect to hawks to come back from that there. Fully deserved the win.

Best of luck next week

Shame it wasn't the grand final, instead were going to have to put up with the boring defensive football Sydney and Fremantle produce.

Oh shit sorry about that.

Next year we'll do an impersonation of your club & under perform according to the big expectations from the footy world.

Hawks should win next week but give some credit to teams that play with discipline all year round.

It was a great game last night though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks Hawthorn and Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back