Universal Love Thanks Sam Mitchell. A true Hawthorn and AFL legend.

Remove this Banner Ad

I am sad to see the end of a great career but I'm also content because I cried my goodbye tears at the end of last year when we traded him. I'll be eternally thankful that he never played against us in a WCE jumper.

Farewell to one of the all time great midfielders.

He's been severely underrated for most of his career, but has been one of the best players to watch for the last decade. The way he can move in traffic and hit a target on either foot has been phenomenal to watch.

All the best for the future Sammy. You'll always be Hawthorn to me! :hearteyes:

I hope we get to see these two together one last time on Grand Final day!

View attachment 396942

These two blokes defined an era. They are so different, right down to the way their retirements will be handled. But they have both bled Brown and Gold.

We have been incredibly spoilt to see four of the greatest players the game has ever seen - Mitchell, Hodge, Franklin and Burgoyne - strut their stuff for the same side. And then the likes of Roughead, Rioli, Lake and Lewis - stars in their own right - beside them. But for me, Mitchell is the greatest Hawk of this era.

We all have differing views on the way last off-season was handled. I was and remain happy with everything we did - except for moving Mitchell on (and the poor compensation we received for Lewis).

Mitchell and Hodge should be walking off the ground in their finals games with their arms around each other like in that photo. Job done.

On SEN this morning, they asked Gary Lyon and Tim Watson about what they thought of Sam going into coaching.
Gary Lyon said he would be excellent and would be a natural coach.

Watson said he would need 5-10 years apprenticeship but he could say whether Sammy would ever be a good coach.

As we know, Sam is remembered by the Essendon cheats for his "injection" gesture! Yes, Timmy your unbiased views are so understandable.

Flogson is speaking from experience

I was one of the few relatively fine with moving on Mitchell and Lewis, but man it does really suck not being able to properly say goodbye to them. Of the 2008 team Hodge will be the only one to retire with us during the season (so far) and only a few retired during the Peter Crimmins, doesn't feel like we've gotten to make a lot of proper send offs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still a hawthorn player although we loaned him to West Coast for the year. Remember watching him run around at Box Hill before he got a game in the seniors. You could just tell he was something special.

upload_2017-7-28_19-19-15.png
[Herald-Sun]

I must say this is the most unofficial official retirement ever, with no actual statement made by the man himself.

Maybe I am imagining things, but did anyone else hear in Clarko's live presser last night where he paid tribute to Mitch and Priddis and acknowledge them both for their service to the game and the fact they are both retiring at the end of the year? Yet I can't seem to find him making mention of it in the Hawks TV Version.

I must say this is the most unofficial official retirement ever, with no actual statement made by the man himself.

Maybe I am imagining things, but did anyone else hear in Clarko's live presser last night where he paid tribute to Mitch and Priddis and acknowledge them both for their service to the game and the fact they are both retiring at the end of the year? Yet I can't seem to find him making mention of it in the Hawks TV Version.
Not imagined. Clarko definitely mentioned it

Next year marks 10 years since the 08 Grand Final so hopefully they'll put all the retired players from that team in cars to do a lap of the G Before a game next season so we get to give him the send off he deserves.

Next year marks 10 years since the 08 Grand Final so hopefully they'll put all the retired players from that team in cars to do a lap of the G Before a game next season so we get to give him the send off he deserves.
40th anniversary of 1978, and 30th of 1988 too. :D

Presser scheduled for 12 today, he's expected to announce it then... :(

It's selfish - but I am so glad he will never play against us.

I hate that the game against the Saints this week clashes with ours. Wouldn't have minded going to see him one last time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Thanks Sam Mitchell. A true Hawthorn and AFL legend.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back