That skinny kid called Grant on a half forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 18, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
He is going alright :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Been a massive knocked of the guy for a long time, he showed no 2nd efforts or work rate at Willy but you put him into the ones and bam has he lifted. He missed a goal he should have kicked in the last term that proved costly but his run up was a lot better.

Will never be a massive goal kicker or a Brown type CHF but if he keeps going like this id be happy considering we still have got to find a spot for Jones pretty dam soon.

He is going alright :thumbsu::thumbsu:

Been a massive knocked of the guy for a long time, he showed no 2nd efforts or work rate at Willy but you put him into the ones and bam has he lifted. He missed a goal he should have kicked in the last term that proved costly but his run up was a lot better.

Will never be a massive goal kicker or a Brown type CHF but if he keeps going like this id be happy considering we still have got to find a spot for Jones pretty dam soon.

I agree, he has a bright future.

My only knock on him is that he rushes his disposal. Agreed?

Maybe he is still getting used to the pace of the game?

No its not that he is rushed its just that his kicking skills are pretty poor (but getting a lot better imo) so he always looks to handball more then kick. The thing that impressed me was his tackling, he did more today then in the 2 years i watched him at Willy.

He also took some really nice overhead marks, 9 marks in total along with 17 touches and i think 5 tackles. Im of the view that him and Roughie will play 6-10 games then be dropped just before finals.

No its not that he is rushed its just that his kicking skills are pretty poor (but getting a lot better imo) so he always looks to handball more then kick. The thing that impressed me was his tackling, he did more today then in the 2 years i watched him at Willy.

He also took some really nice overhead marks, 9 marks in total along with 17 touches and i think 5 tackles. Im of the view that him and Roughie will play 6-10 games then be dropped just before finals.

Fair point on his kicking, that certainly shines out in his shooting for goal.

I reckon Roughead is in it for the long haul this year, don't know what it is about him that I like?! He just looks like a league footballer.

Could you see Huddo, Will and Roughy in the same side? Or is that too top heavy. I'd like to see it tested one game against one of the poorer sides perhaps?

They could never play in the same side. Roughie will play his few games get his taste and Minson will come in when you need the big strong bodies at the end of a year.

Grants kicking for goal was once a lot worse, he had the really bad skip going. I noticed tonight when he lined up he did not have that skip as much. Also i think giving a few weeks his team mates will know his kicking range more and work out if he is 50+ they need to come past for the handball.

Jarrad Grant is not the only player to miss set shots on goal, nor will he be the last.
Murphy and Hahn miss quite a few, in fact they don't even make the distance. Aker missed an easy shot as well and so did Johnson.
Grant shows a lot of promise and he will improve faster playing in the 1sts, rather than for Willy. He has very good hands, plenty of pace and is prepared to tackle. His kicking needs some work but that can be done. I hope they stick with him.

He's been quite decent so far off Half Forward.

I'd be tempted to leave both him and Roughy in as they've both made positive contributions with little error so far, aside from some missed set shots on goal.

What we desperately need to get happening is one or two dangerous small forwards near goal again.

In the past Aker and Johno have been able to kick plenty, but this year they haven't been looking like kicking goals, need someone to feed off the feet of Hall so we can actually just kick the damn thing to him when needed.

He was very good last night for a young bloke in what was a very physical game. His tackling has improved heaps and his willingness to chase was good. I thought his field kicking wasn't too bad, he hit a players on leads a few times, just that set shot let him down, but that will improve over time.

The only player on the field last night not to have a critical error, very impressive for a kid in his third game! I was really impressed last night with his pressure, as well as last week he has been the benchmark with hall the past two weeks for forward pressure. He's also doing much more than hill was in his first few games this year so I reckon he might keep his spot if he keeps it up! nearly Everyone missed shots last night so we can't really bag him for accuracy either. A good game and hopefully a good looking future for him!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he looked very composed and wasn't carried by the team, he contributed and took some good marks. His tackling will improve as well.

The teams who have big full forwards seem to be able to replace them easier than teams without, my theory is that having a mentor makes all the difference. We will only have Barry for a couple of years, so need to get some game time into Grant as much as possible. Leave him in especially as we have some games coming up against lesser opposition.

I love Roughy as well, I just think he has that X factor that will see him be a 200 game player for us.

I thought he went OK again tonight. Credited with 6 tackles and kicked a nice goal. Thoughts?

Was good but would like to see him do more, that will come with time.

A couple of times his hands looked good in the wet.

Seemed to just lose his feet or get worried out of it at times though.

In fairness to grant it wasn't really the sort of conditions to suit him tonight & i thought we went ok without being great.

However, i reckon his kicking style is such that i doubt he'll ever be a good shot at goal & therefore i doubt a key forward is what he'll end up.....in time though perhaps he could be a high leading forward like Murphy that can set others up going inside 50. I still can't see him being effective this year in finals.

I think he's got a future. He had to play different footy tonight and up to just after half time he did well but was not sighted much in the last third of the game (although he kept chasing and going in which was a good sign).

He was actually doing a fair bit of in-and-under work and at one stage I think Eade had him tagging Scully or Trengove (come back soon, Picken!). That's a fair change of role for him and his endeavour was good.

His hands and reactions in close are actually pretty good. Seemed a bit more decisive than last week.

I also haven't given up on his kicking. It wasn't too bad tonight (and some others were terrible).

In fairness to grant it wasn't really the sort of conditions to suit him tonight & i thought we went ok without being great.

However, i reckon his kicking style is such that i doubt he'll ever be a good shot at goal & therefore i doubt a key forward is what he'll end up.....in time though perhaps he could be a high leading forward like Murphy that can set others up going inside 50. I still can't see him being effective this year in finals.
A bit more work in the gymnasium and a few packets of krispy kremes and I believe he would be perfectly suited to CHB. His kicking then is not quite as big an issue.
This releases Biscuits to play as a 2nd ruckman for around the ground work or as a pinch hitting forward. I like the idea of both Biscuits and Grant being able to play both ends.
Versatility is a key here, when Riewoldt started at St Kilda he missed most of his first season but when he was finally brought in he was put at CHB and did well. That said they had Loewe playing for them who could play CHF, but we have Hall at least for one more season. Neitz also won AA selection playing as a CHB before becoming a good forward.

Always had football smarts and a good mark if in position.

Problem at willy was work rate and kicking. He is an inside out kicker meaning it floats our slicers from left to right. Hopefully this improves. Will never be our forward saviour yet may be a handy type. We need people to step up as murphy and hahn as good as they are will only declin from here.

I thought he went OK again tonight. Credited with 6 tackles and kicked a nice goal. Thoughts?

The conditions didn't suit him at all but he did perform well. He's exceeded what I thought he could bring the team in every game this year.

Remove this Banner Ad

That skinny kid called Grant on a half forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Back