The 2011 AFL rookie Draft - Preview

Remove this Banner Ad

Dont think its a strange question when you are the only person I have seen mention Clarkes name ,Sheridan was expected to be top 20 so no surprizes there .
Can you expand on why you think Freo will get J.Clarke

ok ok I now know who he is a KPD from South Australia,we do seem to like the Crow eaters but at 196cm would be to tall for our recruiters ;)

Still looks to be plenty of quality. It'll be good to have a good hard crack at a rookie draft for a change. The last 1-2 years we've stuck with our 2nd & 3rd year rookies so this should be a little more exciting.

:eek:

Yep, we finally trimmed the fat off our rookie list and we can go nuts this year! Look forward to it.

After all the hard work that Clancee has put in so far at training, would it be wrong to not rookie him?

He wasn't bad as a depth player and if fitness and weight issues were his deficiencies it sounds like he's improved on them so far.

I would be upset if we picked a tall with our last rookie pick over Clancee 'Unitas' Pearce.

Unless I missed it, I don't see any mention of Dick in this thread. On talent, he would be close to best available, but we can probably wait till our last picks for him.

I think we will select Pearce. Purely for depth, although that requires him to be elevated.

You'd say Dick and Pearce are going to get spots on the rookie list that means there are only 3 other spots.

I'd still like to see talls taken tho I'm not entirely sure thats whats gonna happen. The guys I'd really like are

Dobosz
S Frost
C Sandilands (get him working with his bro worth the gamble IMO)
Houghton
Murphy
Lee
Boseley

To me all have attributes that we could work with on the rookie list and even if just one turns out to be a good KPP then we are a lot closer to addressing our needs.

Other mids I'd be happy with
Turner
Waldhunter
Spurr

As silly as it sounds we still don't have a big accumulator and I would favour getting Nelson but then we have to turn our attention to KPs with the other two live picks (assuming Clancee and Dick are selected)

Would one of those be Manson, I hope so, such a good mover for an 18 yo.

Was really surprised that Marley Williams missed out as well. Great skills and one of the only kids to make it to Claremonts league team this year (I understand Claremont´s policy was largely to not play the colts in the league side). One of Claremonts best and regularly outshone highly rated Tom Mitchell, particularly late in the season. Can play inside but is also quite devastating outside also.

Still many options in the rookie draft. Glad we have several picks.

Not sold on Tom Lee. Apart from his athleticism etc, he hasn´t showed that much for Claremont.

I wonder if its worth picking up Myles Bolger - he was touted as a top ten pick last year but struggled this year coming back from serious injury. It can´t hurt picking him up, developing him in case Griffin wants to leave or waiting until he regains form and using him as trade bait as ruckman always seem to attract premiums. I imagine GWS may try to get there first though given they missed out on Longyer.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not a fan of Tom Lee either, his GF performance didn't impress me at all after all the hype you read on here. Bolger would be a score for the rookie list but he'd probably be well & truly surplus to needs. Then again if Griff refused to sign another contract at the end of next year... :confused:

Being realistic what I would like to see is:

Ben Brown - 199cm kpf/ruck - freo fan
Julian Dobosz - 193cm full forward
Simon Tunbridge - 192cm utility
Gibson Turner - livewire small forward - better value than injury riddled Dick
Clancee Pearce - trained his pants off - still a lot of upside

I think guys like Manson, Frost, Horsley and Spurr will go early

Dawson sounds like a more mature Roberton type. We need to groom someone to play on the gorilla type forwards.

Dawson is more like a taller version of Grover than like Robbo. His disposal is pretty terrible... he's a stopper, not a running back.

Dawson has actually played pretty reasonably on big blokes in the past few seasons. He's no star... but to be honest, I think Zac will be a solid replacement for Grover. He can play on gorillas as well or better than Grover I'd say.

Probably better as he has a few extra inches of height and a similar weight, so is better equipped to handle one-on-one marking duels.

From what I've seen, I thought Zac was a fairly decent kick. Definitely not terrible. Having said that, don't remember him kicking it too much and often when he does - it's backward.

dawson is a fullback, and his disposal is not great, id preferr to see dawson full back, mcpharlin CHB and silvagni as the third tall, as i think he is a more creative option than dawson and grover. dawson will be a good lock down defender

as for other players we should target.

brad dick- if fit is a jeff garlett clone
julian dobosz- big key forward who kicked some bags during the 18's carnival
hayden busher- another key forward option
miles bolger/chad sandilands- im a big fan of having a ruck option on the rookie list. ruckman often succum to injury and also take longer to develop.
waylan manson- very very risky, id take him late in the rookie draft.

a small lock down back pocket would be nice also

I'd love to get the following;

Andrew Bosely - media had us getting him in the draft, possibly as early as 29 so if we get him in the RD it'd be a massive bonus.
Cam Eardley - I've loved this blokes performances this year, also a RD bonus IMO
Gibson Turner - excitement machine that could maybe play the Roger role.
Ben Darrou - Grover replacement
Hayden Schloithe - not sure I've spelt that right but he'd be good for us even though he'd be a "poor mans Hayden Crozier" and hey, you can never have too many Hayden's in one club.
Alex Devitt - tall who'll develop nicely over a year or two IMO.

Dawson is a third tall back at best. Where he isn't relied on to stop a match winner. If he is on a player like a Cloke, then he will need extra help from infront or behind to help win the contest.

Not really fair. I remember Cloke being one of the few guys that actually beat McPharlin (belted him really). Put him up against most other key forwards... and he's definitely more of a full back than a CHF... then he'll do as well as anyone else on the list (excepting Luke and SNOS).

As Patty notes... I'd rather have Dawson as a lock-down FB, and either SNOS or McPharlin as CHF. SNOS and McPharlin are both more creative and damaging as the third tall. And Luke can also play on smaller guys as well.

From memory his kicking probably isn't terrible, but he almost never kicks. He handballs at almost every opportunity. Can probably kick, but would be average at the very best. Not his go.

Anyone got any info on Bolger? I know he is a local lad. Chris25/KPR?

I rated Bolger as the second best ruckman in the draft - better than Witts who Collingwood fans are losing their minds over.

Has been injured quite a bit over the last two seasons, which has probably cost him ultimately. Looked like it cost him a bit of fitness and strength. And his biggest knocks were probably work around the ground and his jumping at the ruck contests, so directly linked with his injuries. Before injury, he showed that he can run though.

His tap work is very good, and is a strong mark too. I think we're more likely to go with Chad Sandilands, but I would much prefer Bolger especially as we can take Moller next year - who will be a long term project. Bolger could play in a couple of years, as opposed to three or four.

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2011 AFL rookie Draft - Preview

Remove this Banner Ad

Back