The 2015 Attendance Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So GWS in Canberra managed to attract more than St Kilda vs Hawthorn at Etihad.
Yeah I noticed that too.

Don't discount the number of Swans fans there are in Canberra. They built up a fair base in the years they played home games at Manaka, and probably assisted in upping today's crowd figure.

Yeah I noticed that too.

Don't discount the number of Swans fans there are in Canberra. They built up a fair base in the years they played home games at Manaka, and probably assisted in upping today's crowd figure.

No doubt the number of Swans fans probably outnumbered the giants fans at the game, nevertheless, it was heartening to see a reasonable sprinkling of orange.

no crowd for Melb v Essendon - I wonder why.

In any case at end of NAB Challenge 2015

- Total Crowd: 206,933
- Matches: 26 (+ unknown crowd from Dees v Dons)
- Average: 7,959

In 2014
- Total NAB Challenge Crowd: 130,646
- Matches: 18
- Average: 7,258

If you add in the round of practice games from 2014 that werent part of the NAB Challenge
- Total Crowd: 179,989
- Matches: 26
- Average: 6,923

Either way, more people went to more games in this years NAB Challenge.

With the NAB Challenge out of the way we look towards the 2015 season proper.

I thought for this year I would provide a list of average crowds for the home team at the scheduled venue since 1997 onwards, to provide a reference point and history to each fixture, to allow us to make better estimations or judgements of achieved figures. Some fixtures will obviously have very few data points (such as GWS+ GC games) and I may show other figures where applicable.

RD 1: Historical attendance for Home team at Scheduled Venue (Since '97 or First year at stadium)

Carl v Rich (MCG): 56,965 (73,051 RD1 since 2007)
Mel v GC (MCG): 17,545
Syd v Ess (ANZ): 40,190
Bris v Coll (Gabba): 29,882
WB v WCE (ES): 23,566
StK v GWS (ES): 18,484
Ade v NM (AO): 47,205
Fre v Port (Sub): 31,529
Haw v Gee (MCG): 66,064 (74,592 Easter Monday)

Total: 331,430 (356,044)

With It being Round 1, we should beat all historical averages for every fixture except Syd v Ess, which I would estimate at 30K, since ANZ has fallen out of favour. If Fre V Port can mostly offset the Difference, and Carl v Rich and Haw v Gee achieve recent averages, Rd 1 should easily slot into the top 10 best attended rounds of all time.

With the NAB Challenge out of the way we look towards the 2015 season proper.

I thought for this year I would provide a list of average crowds for the home team at the scheduled venue since 1997 onwards, to provide a reference point and history to each fixture, to allow us to make better estimations or judgements of achieved figures. Some fixtures will obviously have very few data points (such as GWS+ GC games) and I may show other figures where applicable.

RD 1: Historical attendance for Home team at Scheduled Venue (Since '97 or First year at stadium)

Carl v Rich (MCG): 56,965 (73,051 RD1 since 2007)
Mel v GC (MCG): 17,545
Syd v Ess (ANZ): 40,190
Bris v Coll (Gabba): 29,882
WB v WCE (ES): 23,566
StK v GWS (ES): 18,484
Ade v NM (AO): 47,205
Fre v Port (Sub): 31,529
Haw v Gee (MCG): 66,064 (74,592 Easter Monday)

Total: 331,430 (356,044)

With It being Round 1, we should beat all historical averages for every fixture except Syd v Ess, which I would estimate at 30K, since ANZ has fallen out of favour. If Fre V Port can mostly offset the Difference, and Carl v Rich and Haw v Gee achieve recent averages, Rd 1 should easily slot into the top 10 best attended rounds of all time.

St Kilda vs GWS will be borderline. Anywhere from 16-21,000 IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sunday is going to be pretty grim for crowds in the other codes coming up against the cricket world cup final. I've hated the delayed start to the season, but at least the AFL has avoided this crowd catastrophe.

Sunday is going to be pretty grim for crowds in the other codes coming up against the cricket world cup final. I've hated the delayed start to the season, but at least the AFL has avoided this crowd catastrophe.

Yep they are all struggling the A League had crowds of 5000 and 6000 and only 18,000 last night for Victory at AAMI and the Nrl are down as well with only 35000 turning up to two Sydney games last nightThe Super Rugby could only pull 19,000 in Brisbane as well..It will be interesting to see what happens next weekend for the AFL.

Yep they are all struggling the A League had crowds of 5000 and 6000 and only 18,000 last night for Victory at AAMI and the Nrl are down as well with only 35000 turning up to two Sydney games last nightThe Super Rugby could only pull 19,000 in Brisbane as well..It will be interesting to see what happens next weekend for the AFL.
That is actually above average for the NRL though.

Watching the Tigers game at Lavington there is no way another 12,000 would fit into that ground. 15,000 tops would see it out.

been at this ground many a times with 15000 crowds,
could fit in another 2500, but 20000 would be like sardines!
still one of the best locations for Country footy in
australia, with the hill and gran stand there is not a bad place to sit!

Hoping both Tigers vs Blues and Cats vs Hawks hit the 80000 mark
also hoping depending on the Bombers verdict Swans vs dons can hit 40000

CAN NOT WAIT
Yep lets hope the weather is fine and a big crowd rocks up.
Interesting the WCC Final could only get 93,000 yesterday to a clean MCG so in that context the AFL GF is massive having achieved over 100,000 two times since the Commonwealth Games upgrade.Of course the all time AFL GF record is 121,696 for the 1970 GF

Yep lets hope the weather is fine and a big crowd rocks up.
Interesting the WCC Final could only get 93,000 yesterday to a clean MCG so in that context the AFL GF is massive having achieved over 100,000 two times since the Commonwealth Games upgrade.Of course the all time AFL GF record is 121,696 for the 1970 GF

Those sight screens would take a big chunk of seats! I'd say 5000 would be from the sight screens and and 2000 from standing room!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So what are we expecting tonight? Over 70,000? Being Easter Thursday a lot of families will be driving to wherever they're having a 4day holiday to, so could be less.

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2015 Attendance Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back