The 2015 Attendance Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's decent for Freo at the G. Only way that could be considered bad is if the home team's fans had been banging on about how great their 'army' is, how shite every other teams' crowds are and how they were going to smash records and we should all bow down before them.

Luckily this doesn't seem to have occurred. :drunk:
I could not have expressed that any better. I like Richmond but their bigfooty supporters are unbearable. They tend to pump themselves up too much whilst undermining others. I don't know if I want them to succeed or not.

I could not have expressed that any better. I like Richmond but their bigfooty supporters are unbearable. They tend to pump themselves up too much whilst undermining others. I don't know if I want them to succeed or not.
No offensive, but Hawks fans arent much better, especially on this thread.

(waits for another poster to bag out Sydney Fans and so forth and so forth)

every club as idiots on bigfooty. nothing special in that.

Also considering Melbourne last week with the same amount of wins drew 25,000 against Brisbane proves that Essendon supporters are the biggest bandwagon club in that Comp.

I disagree, dees fans would of saw thing game as a chance of seeing a win. Bombers fans would see this game as probably 50:50 at best. Poor crowd but don't think you can compare the 2

Also considering Melbourne last week with the same amount of wins drew 25,000 against Brisbane proves that Essendon supporters are the biggest bandwagon club in that Comp.
Very poor crowd but Essendon have just drawn 55 consecutive home games of 30k despite the ASAGA ordeal and being ordinary. Therefore I don't really agree. That was our worst home crowd this century by a long way. This is the worst period in the club's history.

Ordinary crowd, think it's just the start unfortunately.

Our attendances held up for so long after 10 years of mediocrity but now I think we might start to head into carlton territory that people like I and others have had a go about them about. Can't bag them anymore, were not much different.

Ease up I know your excited but Collingwood drew home crowd of 26k at the G the last time they were down the bottom in 2005.

You aren't much better when the season is gone.

Not even close.

As much as it dregs me to say this but Carlton and Hawthorn have proven themselves to be far more of a bandwagon club than Essendon (just look at the disparity between top crowds and the rest...its seriously not even close)

Essendon along with Collingwood and Richmond are the three most resilient fan bases in Victoria...and 23,000 as a floor really isn't that bad anyway. There are 2 or 3 Victorian clubs that would probably draw that as a ceiling...

Not even close.

As much as it dregs me to say this but Carlton and Hawthorn have proven themselves to be far more of a bandwagon club than Essendon (just look at the disparity between top crowds and the rest...its seriously not even close)

Essendon along with Collingwood and Richmond are one of the three most resilient fan bases in Victoria...and 23,000 as a floor really isn't that bad anyway

Couldn't agree more!
There are some other Victorian clubs that would love to have 23000 as a floor!
Doggies and North struggle to get this in a good year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Part of a bandwagon is the jumping off part. Like when Collingwood are in a deficit they can't claw back and the aisles fill up. Pot, kettle, black.

No two ways about it, tonight's crowd was pretty poor. However there was some inevitability about it given the club is out of the race and is looking to the future.. Lots of empty reserved seats tonight.

GoPies, we can see your excitement and mouth watering. It was only 12 months ago your club drew sub 30,000 V the Bulldogs. If Collingwood was going through their toughest period in history, your club would have drawn no better than 23,700 tonight either.

The Bomber crowds have held up well this year. This was its first bad crowd for the year. Every club has its downturn, the Bombers are going through a tough period and the attendance tonight reflects this.

Broadly speaking, Vic attendances are of concern. No wonder when we have 8-10 re bounces after goals, time wasting goal reviews line, 36 players clogging forward lines and teams playing safe football kicking backwards and sideways. It's no wonder the commission is worried with the state of the game ATM. Attendances reflect what I think is generally speaking, in relative terms pretty boring, congested and ugly football.

No two ways about it, tonight's crowd was pretty poor. However there was some inevitability about it given the club is out of the race and is looking to the future.. Lots of empty reserved seats tonight.

GoPies, we can see your excitement and mouth watering. It was only 12 months ago your club drew sub 30,000 V the Bulldogs. If Collingwood was going through their toughest period in history, your club would have drawn no better than 23,700 tonight either.

The Bomber crowds have held up well this year. This was its first bad crowd for the year. Every club has its downturn, the Bombers are going through a tough period and the attendance tonight reflects this.

Broadly speaking, Vic attendances are of concern. No wonder when we have 8-10 re bounces after goals, time wasting goal reviews line, 36 players clogging forward lines and teams playing safe football kicking backwards and sideways. It's no wonder the commission is worried with the state of the game ATM. Attendances reflect what I think is generally speaking, in relative terms pretty boring, congested and ugly football.

Melbourne attendances are really at what you would expect them to be without Pies, Tigers, Bombers or Blues seriously challenging.

Put one of these teams into the top 2 and crowds would be seriously up.

Compare the stats of essendon and Collingwood of the past decade. The look at the onfield results.
The pies have been pretty much a top four side Essendon haven't won a finals game for a decade.

So how on earth are Essendon a bandwagon side?
The club has been a basket case since 2002! They play out of Etihad where other clubs struggle to draw a crowd. Give them MCG and a draw like the pies get every year

Hell perhaps they need a flog like Eddie pumping up the pies bandwagon tyres every time he opens his mouth on radio.

Last edited:
The idea of Essendon as a bandwagon side is the most ludicrous thing I've read on here.

The drug scandal, a boring star free side playing shockingly dull footy, losing, out of the race.

One poor crowd and they are jumped on.

Overall a shockingly rdinary weekend in Victoria for crowds:

Awful numbers at Carlton V Hawthorn.
Deeply disappointing turnout for Richmond V Freo.
Poor ( by Essendon standards ) turnout for the Bombers.

There is no no longer any argument. Victorian crowds are soft, softening and are a concern. No club is immune.

The AFL killed footy when they killed Fitzroy. It's just taken some time for everyone to understand what that means.

Well, this is it - if the league don't give a stuff, it's not hard to see why the public have similarly shortened ideas about loyalty....top down, y'know?

The irony of the Lions still surviving on AFL handouts is compelling - the AFL simply needed to generate money from their death and banked on the cash from television to fund it. c16k last night at the Gabba, at least 2-4k would have been either neutrals or North fans.

Footy isn't dead but their efforts to sell the game up here have been laughable and criticised at length by this poster - and I stand behind everything I have said. And best illustrated by the fact that the Lions could have 1000 members and get 5k to a game....but the league would keep shovelling dollars north anyway.

Last edited:

I actually refute that.

Exactly who do you mean? The regular Richmond contributors to this thread are almost universally sensible.

Raoul, Astute Tiger, Groupie, Craze, and dare I say it myself are almost always sensible.

Yes years and decades of abuse and patronising calling us irrelevant and minnows made us a bit defensive but we are no more unbearable than others.

I actually think it is objectively true to say that the Richmond fans are among the most fairminded on this thread if we are objectively honest. We have a unique history of failure - Bombers beginning to get a bit of an insight into our history - and that has made us see the world in an Us VS Them way trying to defend our much loved club from offhand insult but we are fair on here.

Carn the Mighty Mighty Tigers !!!!

Take the 3 Sydney derby matches they've hosted out and that Manuka Oval crowd is the best GWS have ever got for a home game...(that game would only just getting 10k at best in Sydney)

Amazing what happens when Canberra isn't dumped with a dud GWS and a dud opponent...maybe GWS should play their home final there if they finish Top 6 - clearly more fans there...

Melbourne attendances are really at what you would expect them to be without Pies, Tigers, Bombers or Blues seriously challenging.

Put one of these teams into the top 2 and crowds would be seriously up.

That's true but it's not that simplistic...

The key to attendance growth is to have fresh, new teams in the top 4 challenging for premierships

AFL crowds peaked in 1998 (34768) and 2005 (35703) when the smaller Victorian clubs were dominating.

1998 - North Melbourne, W Bulldogs, St Kilda, Melbourne (and Essendon - 8th) made the finals
2005 - St Kilda, Geelong, Melbourne (and Essendon - 8th) made the finals

Nothing to do with the traditional 'big 4' and everything to do with getting new teams challenging for the flag

Crowds are soft because Hawthorn and Geelong have won 6 of the last 8 flags (2.30 to make it 7 from 9 flags)...and qualified for 7 GF's in 8 years.

The emergence of a two tier system is killing the game...the same thing happened in the late 1980s when crowds dived as Hawthorn, Carlton and Essendon shared the flags.

Fix the long term competitiveness problems of Melbourne and Carlton and crowds will improve considerably.

The AFL killed Victorian crowds (which were building in 2010) when they handed out lucrative draft concessions to Gold Coast and GWS which made it impossible for the lower clubs (at the time namely Melbourne and Richmond) compete for top 4 and premierships

You've just proved his point :confused:

I have proved that Richmond fans are "unbearable" by asserting that we disliked being patronised and dismissed as minnows dueto extended bouts of rotten form?

Some of our Essendon fans - Dave27, Bombersfan, Tassieboy - sensible and helpful posters all of them have jumped to Essendon's defence when bagged about the poor crowd yesterday.

Are they equally unbearable? Will they defend Essendon? Would you defend Hawthorn? No one defends his club with greater zeal than you do and fair dues to you for it.

Are we really any more unbearable?

The idea of Essendon as a bandwagon side is the most ludicrous thing I've read on here.

The drug scandal, a boring star free side playing shockingly dull footy, losing, out of the race.

One poor crowd and they are jumped on.

Overall a shockingly rdinary weekend in Victoria for crowds:

Awful numbers at Carlton V Hawthorn.
Deeply disappointing turnout for Richmond V Freo.
Poor ( by Essendon standards ) turnout for the Bombers.

There is no no longer any argument. Victorian crowds are soft, softening and are a concern. No club is immune.

Can't see how Richmond v Fremantle was a disappointing crowd...

It's in the top 8 crowds the Tigers have ever drawn against a non Vic club...and 40,000 is never something to sneeze at, especially against a non Vic club with minimal Victorian support.

Richmond v Brisbane 46961 (2013)
Richmond v West Coast 45178 (2015)
Richmond v Adelaide 43615 (2013)
Richmond v Fremantle 43801 (2012)
Richmond v Fremantle 40801 (2013)
Richmond v Sydney 40652 (1999)
Richmond v Sydney 40352 (2012)
Richmond v Fremantle 39880 (2015)

It was just outside the top 10 Fremantle crowds outside Perth...

Collingwood v Fremantle 45383 (2008)
Adelaide v Fremantle 45009 (2015)
Collingwood v Fremantle 44891 (2012)
Collingwood v Fremantle 44840 (2007)
Collingwood v Fremantle 44119 (2009)
Richmond v Fremantle 43801 (2012)
Hawthorn v Fremantle 43583 (2014)
Adelaide v Fremantle 43127 (2006)
Essendon v Fremantle 42256 (2003)
Richmond v Fremantle 40801 (2013)

This thread always over estimates crowds...it has a warped sense of what is a good crowd and what isn't.

To draw 40000 of your own fans to a game is excellent.

The only poor crowd this week was Friday Night. The lowest Carlton v Hawthorn crowd at Ethiad (the second smallest is 45102 - 2006), the lowest anywhere since round 2 2000 (Princes Park - 21161) and the lowest ever Carlton v Hawthorn crowd outside of Princes Park and Glenferrie Oval in VFL/AFL history.

That crowd was pathetic. Richmond v Fremantle was excellent ditto GWS v Geelong and Adelaide v Gold Coast. Essendon v Port and Brisbane v North are the floor attendances for Essendon and Brisbane

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2015 Attendance Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back