List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Didn't St Kilda just pick up a top 10 pick from Port during their trade for Howard and Ryder?

I know you're making a funny, but next year it'll be easier than ever to turn a couple of second rounders into a first, as so many teams will be more interested in points than they will picks.
Good thing we traded our 2020 second rounder to Freo for Langdon. Where’s our death-riding Hawthorn thread?

Port shat themselves basically.

Eh, Ryder is almost 32. Can't say I know too much about Howard. Weird that St Kilda picked up a couple of players and upgraded their highest pick, though. Still feels like a St Kilda win, but only because I've hardly seen anything of the main bloke they traded in.

We have to take 3 draft picks. Which means we have to delist 2 players at least. If we signed Murray we would have to delist 3.
We don't actually ... it seems you've matched the Outs with the Ins to come up with what list moves we've still got to make, but last year we went with 38 listed and filled the rest of the list with rookies, so we've made enough cuts with the rookies we've dropped. If you actually count (ah ah ah) the players, we've got 37 senior listed players (with Langdon and Tomlinson) with 5 rookies (4 CatA, 1 CatB), leaving 3 spots for our 3 mandatory draftees ... but if we wanted to bring in Murray, we'd need to cut another player.

Eh, Ryder is almost 32. Can't say I know too much about Howard. Weird that St Kilda picked up a couple of players and upgraded their highest pick, though. Still feels like a St Kilda win, but only because I've hardly seen anything of the main bloke they traded in.
I rate Howard very highly. At his best he’s not too dissimilar to a Harris Andrews in defence IMO and if we hadn’t gotten May he would have been an absolute steal for us (in terms of value given up compared to May) as a key tall I reckon. Agree that Ryder has zero value.
Didnt think you were allowed to trade future 1st and future 2nd on one year... this has to be part oF something else...
We have Hawthorn’s second rounder for next year, so it’s allowed.

Port shat themselves basically.
How did they shit themselves? I know everybody goes on about points meaning **** all but its rated Howard at about pick 20 if you say Ryder for a round upgrade which he isnt even worth that so its about pick 15 for Howard if Ryder is just chucked in to dump some cash. Either way they moved up a round moved down 2 spots and picked up another 1st rounder for losing Howard. Thats a win for Port in my books

I'm gonna back crazy eyes Mahoney on this, good to see the club being bold and having some confidence that we'll be back up again next season.
Liked for “crazy eyes Mahoney”. I thought I was alone thinking that

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not related to Dees but the Hawks are pulling some serious daylight robbery moves. Even if Patton has had 3 recos, it's actually absurd that a #1 draft pick and gun of only a year ago on big money can get to the Hawks with a pick in the 60s. Scully last year, now this one. Apparently he had recovered from his knee just fine by mid year, but put the cue in the rack and didn't want to play AFL or NEAFL for GWS once he'd set his sights on the Hawks. Yet despite all this, the Hawks somehow have a lot of salary cap space. Does the AFL have to check all these deals first?

I don't mind the idea of the trade. I share the sentiments that if we are as shit next year as we were this year then who cares we may as well fold. If we have a middling season and finish 12-9 we have essentially payed pick 26 for an extra year of development and a supposedly less "compromised" pick.

Do we have to find another draft pick from somewhere? Last article I read said 3 and 8 are our only picks, but we have to use 3 picks? I thought the draft kept going into the 100's if need be. Assuming we do then we definitely are thinking someone will want pick 3, whether that happens tomorrow or on draft night.

What i don't understand is why Mahoney keeps throwing in 3rd and 4th round picks for no reason. In the Langdon trade did we need to get rid of 79? Why did we also give 50 to North and not ask for 47 or 73 back? Why did we give up 42 and 61 in the Frost deal?

I understand that if we split pick 3 and only have 3 spots for the draft we don't need them, but having those picks gives us some wiggle room in the #3 split discussions and potentially get a future pick back or something or if we were like the Hawks we could be trading for best 22 defenders or former #1 picks with these. Feels like we are throwing these crappy picks away and using first rounders on defenders while other teams use these crappy picks on defenders.

The way I see it is that we are a much better team than 2nd bottom and the clubs confident in a bounce back. Even so who's to say we can't trade our way back into next years first round. Also I think the club clearly wanted 2 picks in the top 10 to give them the best opportunity to pick the players they want. I think they're done for trading. I'm happy that the club have managed to get done what was required.

Not related to Dees but the Hawks are pulling some serious daylight robbery moves. Even if Patton has had 3 recos, it's actually absurd that a #1 draft pick and gun of only a year ago on big money can get to the Hawks with a pick in the 60s. Scully last year, now this one. Apparently he had recovered from his knee just fine by mid year, but put the cue in the rack and didn't want to play AFL or NEAFL for GWS once he'd set his sights on the Hawks. Yet despite all this, the Hawks somehow have a lot of salary cap space. Does the AFL have to check all these deals first?

Scully is cooked, had his worst numbers since 2013 this year and turns 29 next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. The 2019 Trade and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back