The 2021 Dynasty - The new MFC curse

Remove this Banner Ad

Remember when Gawn said we were going to create a new dynasty after the 2021 GF?

I believe it will be a dynasty of disappointment.

This is the new Norm Smith curse. Brought upon us by hubris and perpetual acceptance of mediocrity.
Tbf Moore was saying the same s* after last years premiership. It's disappointing no doubt. But what will the board do about it? I bet we make minimal changes this offseason.

Remember when Gawn said we were going to create a new dynasty after the 2021 GF?

This is the new Norm Smith curse. Brought upon us by hubris and perpetual acceptance of mediocrity.

Did he say that or did he say they were "aiming to" create a dynasty?

No issues with aiming high imo.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I can't remember. I just remember thinking it was pretty cringey and would bite us in the arse.

We got to the flag by being relatively humble. As soon as we won it we stuck our head up our own arses.

This feels like a massive reach from OP tbh

This feels like a massive reach from OP tbh

Agreed.

I liked the ambition after the flag. We've been a small club for so long so why shouldn't we aim high? I mean Port's motto is 'we exist to win premierships' which is awesome I reckon.

The broader point of hubris and poor decision-making being a big worry post-2021 tho.

Agreed.

I liked the ambition after the flag. We've been a small club for so long so why shouldn't we aim high? I mean Port's motto is 'we exist to win premierships' which is awesome I reckon.

The broader point of hubris and poor decision-making being a big worry post-2021 tho.

The sad reality of last night is that our "premiership window" is almost shut. You could argue this started in 2018 but its hard to see Max, May, Viney and Co maintaining a high level of performance beyond 2025.

Next year is our last chance.

The sad reality of last night is that our "premiership window" is almost shut. You could argue this started in 2018 but its hard to see Max, May, Viney and Co maintaining a high level of performance beyond 2025.

It didn't start in 2018 😂
It started in 2020 after the recruitment of May Lever and Langdon and getting Jackson Pickett and Rivers into the club. It should still be open now but it isn't

There is no last chance next year, far more likely we miss finals again than win a single final, let alone compete for the flag.

There is no last chance next year, far more likely we miss finals again than win a single final, let alone compete for the flag.
It's not just about us improving, we have to improve twice as much as Sydney, Hawthorn, GWS and Carlton. Not gonna happen especially when blokes like Bowey and Sparrow are the next gen

Gawn: “We want to create a dynasty. This is just the start”.

Pert: “This has got to be something that builds over the next five, six, seven years”.

Roffey (the worst one): “We’ll be challenging for premierships for the next decade because we have players in their early 20s who are just phenomenal. We’re always one of the youngest two or three teams every week”.

Source

Gawn: “We want to create a dynasty. This is just the start”.

Pert: “This has got to be something that builds over the next five, six, seven years”.

Roffey (the worst one): “We’ll be challenging for premierships for the next decade because we have players in their early 20s who are just phenomenal. We’re always one of the youngest two or three teams every week”.

Source
Thanks for the actual quotes.

I don't mind if people think my take is bad. I just think it smacked of arrogance at a time we should have been humble, and it's been proven talk is cheap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing is if you line up our 21 flag against the other dynasty sides century we are well behind. However, when you look at Geelong winning the flag in 22 by changing up the way they played, and in 23 Collingwood got over the line by having a positive mindset, believing they could win from any position and being clutch in big moments - we definitely could’ve done better than two straight sets exits. But I suppose if you have no selection integrity and get hard over a Paul Roos 2014 gameplan repackaged you get what you deserve.

The thing is if you line up our 21 flag against the other dynasty sides century we are well behind. However, when you look at Geelong winning the flag in 22 by changing up the way they played, and in 23 Collingwood got over the line by having a positive mindset, believing they could win from any position and being clutch in big moments - we definitely could’ve done better than two straight sets exits. But I suppose if you have no selection integrity and get hard over a Paul Roos 2014 gameplan repackaged you get what you deserve.
Yep, the window was in a shit era and they ****ed it.

Remove this Banner Ad

The 2021 Dynasty - The new MFC curse

Remove this Banner Ad

Back