List Mgmt. The 2024 Draft (Nov 20/21)

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Staying in Melbourne hasn’t done much for his brothers career either - Olli Hotton on the verge of being delisted as he’s still not been offered a contract yet

In this draft, only one of the 11 live picks before ours belong to a non-Victorian club so if Hotton, or any of the other Victorian lads get to our pick they’ll have been overlooked 10 times by a team in their state. And more than once by 3 or 4 clubs

So he might just be a bit more pragmatic about leaving

That said, ideally he is picked before 12 as it would mean the chances of someone better suited to us gets through

Will have two bingo cards on draft night - one with the names I want called out and one with the names I don’t. Hotton will be on the first card but as I said, it’s not the worst outcome if we do draft him

Wouldn’t be high up on my list. Too risky. We couldn’t afford a Brayden George situation.
Realistically think it will come down to Allen/Lindsay/Hynes but we do like to chuck the odd curveball

Do you really believe him?

Taj is not an idiot to state it openly but he word has been out that he is dead set wanting a VIC club.

Vic Metro :whitecheck: Sandi dragons player :whitecheck:.... Definitely checks out 🚫

Sheezal
Perkins
Bailey Smith.

All crybabys from Sandi who made it known via one avenue or another they didn't want to leave Vic.

AFL needs to step in and fold something.

GIF by NETFLIX

Last edited:

Edit : I’ve copied this post by Asterix over from the old thread because it’s a good post that illustrates how we might have a stronger selection at 12 than might have been considered when the trade of pick 3 was done - Keys

Tigers should bite their hand off for that. 6,11 for 2,F2 would be equitable, F1 is daylight robbery. Norf don’t need more elite mids so a top 5 pick would be worth less to them.
Here is the HUN article (and Ralph is not credited so his Richmond bias you assume is not there)

It is believed that the Kangaroos are open to trading pick two and a future first-round selection to Richmond, in exchange for picks six and 11 in this year’s draft.

Such a deal would still leave the Tigers with seven early selections this year — at picks 1, 2, 10, 19, 20, 23 and 24 — along with two first-round picks next year.

If Richmond can do it, great to get 2 to enable them to pair up their mids and also great to push forward pick 10 to 2025 which is likely to be a top 6 pick next year. It helps on contract management in years to come.

That will leave the draft in a very interesting place with clubs having two or more picks before ours at 12

I expect clubs will use top 10 picks to also address list needs, not just best available. This will include Tigers (1, 2 and 11 then followed by 19, 20, 23 and 24), Melbourne (5 and 9) and Norf (6 and 10) and St Blunders (7 and 8).

The idea about 2 and F1 for 6 and 10 makes a load of sense for North who quite frankly do not need for the any of the 7 midfielders who are widely seen as the best 7 prospects. What they need to address are talls at both ends. Whether it is a KPF, a bona fide KPD intercepting KPD or a 3rd tall defender like Tauru, they need them all.

If I was list boss at Tigerland, I'd be going FOS and Lalor at 1 and 2. Smith is also in the mix at 2. There are loads of rumours and speculation about the top 3 it will be hard for Cal to work out the jostling.

Carlton only have 1 pick of any value this year and it is 100% for a mid. They must have at least 3 targets in mind otherwise they would have not have traded up. Assuming Lalor and FOS gone, I can mount a good case for one of Smith, Draper, Langford or Reid suiting Carlton. I think Hotton would be too much of a risk, despite the Father/Son link

Crows need mids and if Draper is there, I expect they will pounce. Other than that, there are other mids to go for. less of a go home factor in SA as it is a simple 8 hour drive to get home and for some Vic Country boys for western Victoria, even less.

Now Melbourne at 5 are interesting. The gossip is that they want Armstrong. Dees will be likely pull the trigger at 5 and not risk 9 with Norf in between those picks. Good for us with another tall off early.

At 6, Norf are so into Tauru they will take him at 6, knowing they can get a KPD at 10.I really like Tauru but we need mids so glad that stops us being tempted.

Saints need midfield and outside speed to suit the game style of Ross. I think Murphy Reid and Travaglia will be tempting for them. It cold also be Smillie or Langford.

Then Dees have another turn. With Windsor showing a success this year, they cover outside speed. I suspect even if Travaglia was available, they might not pick him. I think Hotton makes the most sense for them at 9. And if it panned out that way, then great news for us.

Norf will have to go KPP and it is a choice of Trainor or Shanahan in my mind. Whichever is not taken by Norf, I suspect Tigers take the other.

So at 12, we could faced with a choice of Langford, Smillie or Allan. they all address our midfield and all offer something different. If that was the case, I would be OK with it. If Saints did not pick Travaglia and went for one of Langford or Smillie, I would be very happy (provided Clarke actually picked Toby if he was there).

If we traded 3 and some later picks for Travaglia, Baker and Owies, then I suspect a few of us will be giving Matty more credit than we did 2 weeks ago.

View attachment

Oh and for those keen to trade into this draft with future picks, look at the clubs with multiple R1 picks this year and start to understand how it may feel next year. I would be very happy trading a F2 and F3 into this year if the targets we want are still there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Edit : I’ve copied this post by Asterix over from the old thread because it’s a good post that illustrates how we might have a stronger selection at 12 than might have been considered when the trade of pick 3 was done - Keys

Here is the HUN article (and Ralph is not credited so his Richmond bias you assume is not there)

It is believed that the Kangaroos are open to trading pick two and a future first-round selection to Richmond, in exchange for picks six and 11 in this year’s draft.

Such a deal would still leave the Tigers with seven early selections this year — at picks 1, 2, 10, 19, 20, 23 and 24 — along with two first-round picks next year.

If Richmond can do it, great to get 2 to enable them to pair up their mids and also great to push forward pick 10 to 2025 which is likely to be a top 6 pick next year. It helps on contract management in years to come.

That will leave the draft in a very interesting place with clubs having two or more picks before ours at 12

I expect clubs will use top 10 picks to also address list needs, not just best available. This will include Tigers (1, 2 and 11 then followed by 19, 20, 23 and 24), Melbourne (5 and 9) and Norf (6 and 10) and St Blunders (7 and 8).

The idea about 2 and F1 for 6 and 10 makes a load of sense for North who quite frankly do not need for the any of the 7 midfielders who are widely seen as the best 7 prospects. What they need to address are talls at both ends. Whether it is a KPF, a bona fide KPD intercepting KPD or a 3rd tall defender like Tauru, they need them all.

If I was list boss at Tigerland, I'd be going FOS and Lalor at 1 and 2. Smith is also in the mix at 2. There are loads of rumours and speculation about the top 3 it will be hard for Cal to work out the jostling.

Carlton only have 1 pick of any value this year and it is 100% for a mid. They must have at least 3 targets in mind otherwise they would have not have traded up. Assuming Lalor and FOS gone, I can mount a good case for one of Smith, Draper, Langford or Reid suiting Carlton. I think Hotton would be too much of a risk, despite the Father/Son link

Crows need mids and if Draper is there, I expect they will pounce. Other than that, there are other mids to go for. less of a go home factor in SA as it is a simple 8 hour drive to get home and for some Vic Country boys for western Victoria, even less.

Now Melbourne at 5 are interesting. The gossip is that they want Armstrong. Dees will be likely pull the trigger at 5 and not risk 9 with Norf in between those picks. Good for us with another tall off early.

At 6, Norf are so into Tauru they will take him at 6, knowing they can get a KPD at 10.I really like Tauru but we need mids so glad that stops us being tempted.

Saints need midfield and outside speed to suit the game style of Ross. I think Murphy Reid and Travaglia will be tempting for them. It cold also be Smillie or Langford.

Then Dees have another turn. With Windsor showing a success this year, they cover outside speed. I suspect even if Travaglia was available, they might not pick him. I think Hotton makes the most sense for them at 9. And if it panned out that way, then great news for us.

Norf will have to go KPP and it is a choice of Trainor or Shanahan in my mind. Whichever is not taken by Norf, I suspect Tigers take the other.

So at 12, we could faced with a choice of Langford, Smillie or Allan. they all address our midfield and all offer something different. If that was the case, I would be OK with it. If Saints did not pick Travaglia and went for one of Langford or Smillie, I would be very happy (provided Clarke actually picked Toby if he was there).

If we traded 3 and some later picks for Travaglia, Baker and Owies, then I suspect a few of us will be giving Matty more credit than we did 2 weeks ago.

View attachment 2152630

Oh and for those keen to trade into this draft with future picks, look at the clubs with multiple R1 picks this year and start to understand how it may feel next year. I would be very happy trading a F2 and F3 into this year if the targets we want are still there.
Langford would be an amazing get at our pick too. Up there with jagga for best performed this year

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Taj Hotton talking about his ACL and briefly what his year looked like

The last paragraph

"I've learned about my optimism and my way to find the light in bad situations. I hadn't really faced much adversity in my footy and I struggled with it early, but I managed to find my light and pushed my attention to how I could make it a good thing," he said. "I'd be happy to go anywhere."

He wouldn’t be the worst selection at our pick

Is his brother any good? Still unsigned at the Saints? Bring him over for a Beagles WAFL players with the eye to signing him in the MSD if we draft him.

Vic Metro :whitecheck: Sandi dragons player :whitecheck:.... Definitely checks out 🚫

Sheezal
Perkins
Bailey Smith.

All crybabys from Sandi who made it known via one avenue or another they didn't want to leave Vic.

AFL needs to step in and fold something.

GIF by NETFLIX
Harvey Johnston looked like he was trading with Jagga and Murphy Reid yesterday. If Murphy slides and we pull the trigger, hopefully out boy Harvey can help Murphy feel at home in the West

Traralgon defender Tye Hourigan looms as a bolter for 2024 AFL draft​

He’s 23, already has four best-and-fairests and a premiership medal to his name — and AFL clubs are taking notice. Meet the country footy defender bound for the big smoke.

The whispers out of Gippsland football are becoming more frequent. AFL clubs are watching Traralgon’s Tye Hourigan — and he may be the bolter in this year’s drafts. The 23-year-old is widely regarded as one of the best players in Victorian country football and it’s believed at least one club had recruiters running an eye over him in the Gippy league grand final three weeks ago.

Hourigan, a 193cm defender, played in Traralgon’s premiership win over Leongatha and claimed his fourth senior best and fairest despite missing a few games with injury. For the third consecutive season he was also named at centre half back in the Gippsland team of the year.

Even as a key backman, Hourigan has sometimes been tagged by rival teams. “I hope so. There’s been different inklings here and there,’’ Maroons coach Troy Hamilton responded to speculation that recruiters were on to Hourigan.

“It would be brilliant for him and brilliant for our club.

“I think he could play in the AFL. He’s the best country footballer I’ve seen. I think he could play in the AFL for sure. He’s 6’3 and1 a bit, he can play on talls or smalls, he’s an elite mark, he runs a 6:20 2km, he’s got pace, he’s an elite user and he reads the footy better than anyone I’ve seen. There is no weakness.’’

Hamilton said Hourigan was “lame’’ with an ankle injury in a match against Morwell this year, prompting the Maroons to play him out of the goalsquare. He kicked six goals.

Former Traralgon coach Jake Best was similarly effusive when asked about Hourigan.

The former Casey VFL player and Vermont premiership forward called him an outstanding player, “in the best three I’ve ever played with’’. “He’s a star mate,’’ Best said. “He’s a tall intercept defender with great skills and he reads the play like someone I’ve never seen.’’

Hourigan has been named in Traralgon’s best players 49 times in his 65 games in the past four seasons.

An official from an opposition Gippsland league club said of Hourigan: “Everything is one-touch clean. He kicks the footy like a mule – hits a bloke on the chest with a 60m drop-punt – and he’ll pick the ball up at pace below his knees, sidestep someone coming the other way and off he goes. “He’s as good a key position player as I’ve seen at our level.’’

Hourigan was runner-up in Gippsland Power’s 2018 best and fairest and trained briefly with Casey Demons before returning to Traralgon.

VFL clubs have sounded him out in the past two years but he’s been content to play for the Maroons as he completes his university studies to be a schoolteacher.

Hourigan is also an accomplished cricketer, captaining a local A grade team
Interesting mature age 24 yr old KP defender getting some interest.

Pretty decent resume for a 24 yr old.:whitecheck:

Just watch Geelong snap up another country league gun for pick 74 aka Tom Stuart.

Intercept defender who gets tagged by opposition.:whitecheck:

One touch player below the knees.:whitecheck:

Has pace, endurance and a good kick.:whitecheck:

Was lame one game, got moved forward and kicked 6.:whitecheck::whitecheck:

Last edited:
Lmao, the word from who? Anyone credible or is it just you guys believing WCEPhil?
Well done smartarse - wrong again

Eastcoast Eagles lives Bayside and goes to many Sandringham games. It was discussed about Reid and Hotton very early in the season not being keen on moving interstate

He also provided input on Trainor on a couple of fronts well before the carnival. One of these being the concussion concerns came out about 4 months after I’d been given the heads up

I then checked the Hotton piece with a Carlton connection and that was confirmed.

There are a dozen or so credible sources on this board and I’ve got connections with other clubs who I usually keep only on DM because of people like you.

View attachment 2152630

Dees have big concern over Langford speed and have gone off him. Tracs lost a yard and Oliver 2.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is hynes just another tom lamb .

Dominates with size and aggression vs kids but when he gets to afl level is not big enough to be a key forward but doesn't have the skills in the midfield and can't bully his way through?

Seems familiar

Dominates with size and aggression vs kids but when he gets to afl level is not big enough to be a key forward but doesn't have the skills in the midfield and can't bully his way through?

Seems familiar

forgot about Lamb ffs

Reckon he would have been a bit too zaney for Simmo

Seems familiar
Problem is that when we brought Lamb in, he was trained as a FF, which he wasn't. He was an over-sized mid and should've been training in there.

Just another case of WCE trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

If you draft players because they've had good form in a position they excel in, you train and play them there FFS, not just try to get the best 'talent' onto the list and try to figure out something else with them. Just don't draft them to begin with.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. The 2024 Draft (Nov 20/21)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back