List Mgmt. The 2024 Draft (Nov 20/21)

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Interesting prospect. 190cm fantastic athlete can run all day and is a proven goal kicker at WAFL level. Played midfield in the colts grand final and dominated.
Sounds like a great WA prospect to not draft and then burn all our draft capital trying to trade for in a few years time

I've actually gone the other way and think Davis will be average.

If anyone is like Tom Lamb, it's that bloke IMO. Undersized 3rd tall tweener who's going to be found out at AFL level, like many tweeners generally are. Think more Sam sturt than anything. Not a mid, not a proper forward.

That said, some of Davis's WAFL performances have been very very very good.

What would i know, i'm just a pissant behind a keyboard with a very large Graham Johncock.

Do we really want Bo Allan at 12?

Feels like we're already due to slot a lot of players at half back over the next few years for various reason, Ginbey & Chesser failed mids, Ryan & Yeo failing bodies, & Maric because we have enough forwards.

Would rather we target a mid, be it Lindsay, Hotton or a slider like Reid, Smillie or Langford.

Do we really want Bo Allan at 12?

Feels like we're already due to slot a lot of players at half back over the next few years for various reason, Ginbey & Chesser failed mids, Ryan & Yeo failing bodies, & Maric because we have enough forwards.

Would rather we target a mid, be it Lindsay, Hotton or a slider like Reid, Smillie or Langford.
Lindsay/Hotton at 12 I think wouldn't be too bad. Look at Hynes/Davis/Moraes at the second pick?

1730096035500.png

Angry Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dons will want to sell 28 and 31 to use their later picks on Kako. Problem is that they will want to get back in as early as possible. Not going to be that easy without overpaying.

Picks 28, 31, 40, 46, 53, 54 and 65 combined value is 2,588 points or equivalent to pick 2.
Take out 28 and 31 and it is 1,303 points which cover any bid from 7 with a 20% discount. I cannot see anyone before St Kilda bidding earlier.

Work with Essendon to hide 28 and 31 then give them back 26.

Possible trades.

Once bid comes - Eagle buy 28 and 31 for Hawks F2 and Eagles F2
Post bid - Eagles sell 26 and Hawks F3 for Melbourne F1 (we give Dons an option of which they want to give us but lets assume it is Melbourne's F1)

We walk away with 26 being pushed back 2 places, but have added pick 31 and upgrade future picks

Why would Dons do it?
Picks 28, 31 and F1 (Mlb) for 26, F2 (WC) F2 (Hawks) and F3 (Hawks)?
They need to find a party to hide their early more valuable picks and then to get back in. I stress that getting back in the draft will cost a massive premium so best arranging it with one club.

1. Dons get Kako using their lowest points picks
2. Dons get an early pick in a good range where there is a good mix of options slightly better than they started
3. Dons still have a strong 2025 hand with own F1, 3 x F2 (own, Eagles + Hawks), 1 x F3 (Hawks), plus own F4 (sure it does not mean 2 x F1 but it in points is better)

Assuming Dees F1 = 10, our F2 = 22, Hawks F2 = 32 and Hawks F3 = 50. Net premium is an additional 307 points to Essendon. AFL should have no drama allowing that trade.
1730098208597.png

Why would we do it?
1. We get an additional pick at 31 while only pushing our R2 back 2 places.
2. We walk away with 3 x F1 and our own F3.
3. If we want more later picks in 2025, I am sure we will be able to extract a suitable premium to slide back. Lions got nearly 800 additional points in selling pick 20 this year.
4. If we want Warner, we have 2 x F1 to trade for him while still able to take a F1 to the draft. Depending where the F1's land, we may ask for something later back from Swans which would be OK to match FS and NGA bids

Eagles future hand goes from
F1 (Eagles), F1 (Hawks), F2 (Eagles), F2 (Hawks), F3 (Eagles), F3 (Hawks)
to
F1 (Eagles), F1 (Hawks), F1 (Melbourne), F3 (Eagles)

Everyone is happy. Rosa and Vozzo sit down with Pyke and Clarke and enjoy a drink together on 20th November

Dons will want to sell 28 and 31 to use their later picks on Kako. Problem is that they will want to get back in as early as possible. Not going to be that easy without overpaying.

Picks 28, 31, 40, 46, 53, 54 and 65 combined value is 2,588 points or equivalent to pick 2.
Take out 28 and 31 and it is 1,303 points which cover any bid from 7 with a 20% discount. I cannot see anyone before St Kilda bidding earlier.

Work with Essendon to hide 28 and 31 then give them back 26.

Possible trades.

Once bid comes - Eagle buy 28 and 31 for Hawks F2 and Eagles F2
Post bid - Eagles sell 26 and Hawks F3 for Melbourne F1 (we give Dons an option of which they want to give us but lets assume it is Melbourne's F1)

We walk away with 26 being pushed back 2 places, but have added pick 31 and upgrade future picks

Why would Dons do it?
Picks 28, 31 and F1 (Mlb) for 26, F2 (WC) F2 (Hawks) and F3 (Hawks)?
They need to find a party to hide their early more valuable picks and then to get back in. I stress that getting back in the draft will cost a massive premium so best arranging it with one club.

1. Dons get Kako using their lowest points picks
2. Dons get an early pick in a good range where there is a good mix of options slightly better than they started
3. Dons still have a strong 2025 hand with own F1, 3 x F2 (own, Eagles + Hawks), 1 x F3 (Hawks), plus own F4 (sure it does not mean 2 x F1 but it in points is better)

Assuming Dees F1 = 10, our F2 = 22, Hawks F2 = 32 and Hawks F3 = 50. Net premium is an additional 307 points to Essendon. AFL should have no drama allowing that trade.
View attachment 2153188

Why would we do it?
1. We get an additional pick at 31 while only pushing our R2 back 2 places.
2. We walk away with 3 x F1 and our own F3.
3. If we want more later picks in 2025, I am sure we will be able to extract a suitable premium to slide back. Lions got nearly 800 additional points in selling pick 20 this year.
4. If we want Warner, we have 2 x F1 to trade for him while still able to take a F1 to the draft. Depending where the F1's land, we may ask for something later back from Swans which would be OK to match FS and NGA bids

Eagles future hand goes from
F1 (Eagles), F1 (Hawks), F2 (Eagles), F2 (Hawks), F3 (Eagles), F3 (Hawks)
to
F1 (Eagles), F1 (Hawks), F1 (Melbourne), F3 (Eagles)

Everyone is happy. Rosa and Vozzo sit down with Pyke and Clarke and enjoy a drink together on 20th November
Why would the Dees do it?

I've actually gone the other way and think Davis will be average.

If anyone is like Tom Lamb, it's that bloke IMO. Undersized 3rd tall tweener who's going to be found out at AFL level, like many tweeners generally are. Think more Sam sturt than anything. Not a mid, not a proper forward.

That said, some of Davis's WAFL performances have been very very very good.

What would i know, i'm just a pissant behind a keyboard with a very large Graham Johncock.
I think Davis will be a great player, highly skilled good size and has the bone structure to fill out a bit.
I also really like Bo Allen.
In fact if WC drafted those 2 players, I’d be pretty happy, I also think the likelihood of me picking the players WC draft is about the same as me picking the Melbourne Cup winner, it’s about a once in a 6 year proposition.

Sure. Because Dordoro has done a brilliant job rebuilding Essendon's list into the power house it is today.

All that hard arse negotiating and dummy spitting at opposition list managers has worked out so well for them.
If you noticed i said he should do the negotiating and let our current guys do the drafting .

Why would the Dees do it?

They’re not a part of that proposed trade as they’ve already traded their F1 to Essendon as part of them getting pick 9

If you noticed i said he should do the negotiating and let our current guys do the drafting .

Dodoro burnt a fair few draft picks trading in players who didnt deliver.

His talent identification at the trade table hasnt been great either.

They just gave Stringer the flick and also shopped Sheils around but no takers. They were two big trades old mate pulled together.

Our 1st pick falls in a pretty meh area where the midfield talent is mostly gone. From our 1st pick onwards most of the midfielders have flaws in their games it'll be a matter of finding the one that suits the new game plan. My understanding is that McQualter will try to implement a game plan similar to that he used in his trial as Richmond coach along with trying to incorporate the Hawthorn style of creating space in the forward 50. To this end speed and agility would be the most desired traits

Our 1st pick falls in a pretty meh area where the midfield talent is mostly gone. From our 1st pick onwards most of the midfielders have flaws in their games it'll be a matter of finding the one that suits the new game plan. My understanding is that McQualter will try to implement a game plan similar to that he used in his trial as Richmond coach along with trying to incorporate the Hawthorn style of creating space in the forward 50. To this end speed and agility would be the most desired traits
Lindsay is the last of the top midfielders available with our pick unless you include Berry. We still need some class going i50. I’d be ok sliding if they are both off the board. Agree with you on space in f50, our tall forwards are our strength so game plan should be based on that going i50.

Unwin, Lombard, Alger and Champion all finished top 10 in both sprint and agility. Allan at pick 12 and Artemis and Urquhart with a later pick would fit the bill, but wouldn’t be my choice.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. The 2024 Draft (Nov 20/21)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back