List Mgmt. The 2024 Draft (Nov 20/21)

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:

Lindsay is the last of the top midfielders available with our pick unless you include Berry. We still need some class going i50. I’d be ok sliding if they are both off the board. Agree with you on space in f50, our tall forwards are our strength so game plan should be based on that going i50.

Unwin, Lombard, Alger and Champion all finished top 10 in both sprint and agility. Allan at pick 12 and Artemis and Urquhart with a later pick would fit the bill, but wouldn’t be my choice.
I'd be happy for us to take Tom Gross if we slid down. Still think Urquhart has a bit of upside and would love to pick up Kade Herbert really late if he fell that far or even as a rookie.

I've only seen highlights but I am 100% on Linday over Allan. Allan looks to be as close a clone to Ginbey as you could create (which is saying something as they are rather unusual players).

I just know we will pick Allan, just feels like everything the club does atm goes against supporter sentiment. I just want us to pick a pure mid that can run and accumulate and be good.

I'd be happy for us to take Tom Gross if we slid down. Still think Urquhart has a bit of upside and would love to pick up Kade Herbert really late if he fell that far or even as a rookie.
If Gross gets to 26 (30 on draft night) I’d be very surprised but if he’s there I think we’ll pick him. Urquhart will be there but can’t afford the risk that high IMO. Herbert might be there at our pick 81, really hope pick 3 on the rookie draft is used on Knobel if he isn’t picked up as a DFA. Absolute no brainer and Harry Barnett goes straight to CHB where some think he is better suited.

I've only seen highlights but I am 100% on Linday over Allan. Allan looks to be as close a clone to Ginbey as you could create (which is saying something as they are rather unusual players).

I just know we will pick Allan, just feels like everything the club does atm goes against supporter sentiment. I just want us to pick a pure mid that can run and accumulate and be good.

If only we were shit enough on field to have pick 3.

The perils of being good I guess 🤷‍♂️

If only we were shit enough on field to have pick 3.

The perils of being good I guess 🤷‍♂️

Part of the reason that we have to pick these rather awkward/slightly flawed prospects players and try and make them something they arnt is that we keep picking in this no-mans area of the draft. How the club hasnt come to realise that, and continues to trade back into this area, I will never know.

Part of the reason that we have to pick these rather awkward/slightly flawed prospects players and try and make them something they arnt is that we keep picking in this no-mans area of the draft. How the club hasnt come to realise that, and continues to trade back into this area, I will never know.
Who was the non flawed prospect available at 3 this year?

Or at pick 2 in the 2022 draft? Sheezel was a small forward and Wardlaw had paper hamstrings.

Dons will want to sell 28 and 31 to use their later picks on Kako. Problem is that they will want to get back in as early as possible. Not going to be that easy without overpaying.

Picks 28, 31, 40, 46, 53, 54 and 65 combined value is 2,588 points or equivalent to pick 2.
Take out 28 and 31 and it is 1,303 points which cover any bid from 7 with a 20% discount. I cannot see anyone before St Kilda bidding earlier.

Work with Essendon to hide 28 and 31 then give them back 26.

Possible trades.

Once bid comes - Eagle buy 28 and 31 for Hawks F2 and Eagles F2
Post bid - Eagles sell 26 and Hawks F3 for Melbourne F1 (we give Dons an option of which they want to give us but lets assume it is Melbourne's F1)

We walk away with 26 being pushed back 2 places, but have added pick 31 and upgrade future picks

Why would Dons do it?
Picks 28, 31 and F1 (Mlb) for 26, F2 (WC) F2 (Hawks) and F3 (Hawks)?
They need to find a party to hide their early more valuable picks and then to get back in. I stress that getting back in the draft will cost a massive premium so best arranging it with one club.

1. Dons get Kako using their lowest points picks
2. Dons get an early pick in a good range where there is a good mix of options slightly better than they started
3. Dons still have a strong 2025 hand with own F1, 3 x F2 (own, Eagles + Hawks), 1 x F3 (Hawks), plus own F4 (sure it does not mean 2 x F1 but it in points is better)

Assuming Dees F1 = 10, our F2 = 22, Hawks F2 = 32 and Hawks F3 = 50. Net premium is an additional 307 points to Essendon. AFL should have no drama allowing that trade.
View attachment 2153188

Why would we do it?
1. We get an additional pick at 31 while only pushing our R2 back 2 places.
2. We walk away with 3 x F1 and our own F3.
3. If we want more later picks in 2025, I am sure we will be able to extract a suitable premium to slide back. Lions got nearly 800 additional points in selling pick 20 this year.
4. If we want Warner, we have 2 x F1 to trade for him while still able to take a F1 to the draft. Depending where the F1's land, we may ask for something later back from Swans which would be OK to match FS and NGA bids

Eagles future hand goes from
F1 (Eagles), F1 (Hawks), F2 (Eagles), F2 (Hawks), F3 (Eagles), F3 (Hawks)
to
F1 (Eagles), F1 (Hawks), F1 (Melbourne), F3 (Eagles)

Everyone is happy. Rosa and Vozzo sit down with Pyke and Clarke and enjoy a drink together on 20th November
I would love to that.....specifically BC I for one think the dees will be as bad again next year and would love the death ride on that F1. Imagine having the Hawks get found out a bit too and we have 3 first rounders inside the top 10.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dodoro burnt a fair few draft picks trading in players who didnt deliver.

His talent identification at the trade table hasnt been great either.

They just gave Stringer the flick and also shopped Sheils around but no takers. They were two big trades old mate pulled together.
I think that is more on the coaches.

They have bought in Martin, Caldwell, Wright all for cheap

Its their drafting that has been shit

Interesting prospect. 190cm fantastic athlete can run all day and is a proven goal kicker at WAFL level. Played midfield in the colts grand final and dominated.

Would have to consider him if there at our 2nd.

Problem is we are stacked up forward with talls to develop. And have a good handfull of medium forwards to develop / rotate mids through.

Read about him being a very good endurance runner who has decent footy IQ. Can kick a goal and good overhead.

A 190cm winger? Embley size.

What is his ground ball game like I wonder? Is he clean below the knees.

Davis is that typical Eagles pick where we know he is good but not sure where to play and him. Yep.....that old favourite.

And around the same pick rhere is likely other legit midfields or KP talent will be taken. Or a defender like a Harrison Oliver.

If a team is chasing a medium forward it makes sense. It doesnt for the Eagles. If he was still there if we have another 2nd rounder or in the 40's sure.

Would be happy to take him if he slides. Just need a pick.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12 Allan
26 Davis

Club comes out and claims midfield rebuilt.:);)

Top Hat Magic GIF by Brabant in Beelden

Last edited:
Would have to consider him if there at our 2nd.

Problem is we are stacked up forward with talls to develop. And have a good handfull of medium forwards to develop / rotate mids through.

Read about him being a very good endurance runner who has decent footy IQ. Can kick a goal and good overhead.

A 190cm winger? Embley size.

What is his ground ball game like I wonder? Is he clean below the knees.

Davis is that typical Eagles pick where we know he is good but not sure where to play and him. Yep.....that old favourite.

And around the same pick rhere is likely other legit midfields or KP talent will be taken. Or a defender like a Harrison Oliver.

If a team is chasing a medium forward it makes sense. It doesnt for the Eagles. If he was still there if we have another 2nd rounder or in the 40's sure.

Would be happy to take him if he slides. Just need a pick.
He got moved into the midfield with some half forward time and he racked 30 or so in the Colts final

Can someone sell me on Lindsay the midfielder?

To me he reeks of 'back-flanker-disguised-as-a-mid-in-u18s'.
I get it, outside-leaning, we need outside class leadership blah blah. Just doesn't seem to do any actual midfielder things that have me interested. Granted, against other mids who are likely to be at the pick it isn't like you'd expect much more, but I'd love to be shown some more evidence of what he can do in there.

I get it, outside-leaning, we need outside class leadership blah blah. Just doesn't seem to do any actual midfielder things that have me interested. Granted, against other mids who are likely to be at the pick it isn't like you'd expect much more, but I'd love to be shown some more evidence of what he can do in there.
He knows how to touch the ball.

That's all that's needed. And isn't a shocking user

1730110830252.png
Morrish medallist, half back flankers don’t often have 10 inside 50s in a game. The last game he did his PCL and went off so wouldn’t read into that.

I watched him at Claremont in the game here vs WA. He won the ball on the inside and the outside. 8 clearances to go with 416m gained. Worth a watch if you want him in a nutshell.

He’s a 70m transition player with penetration and accuracy. Just needs to learn when to take it on and when not to.

View attachment 2153300
Morrish medallist, half back flankers don’t often have 10 inside 50s in a game. The last game he did his PCL and went off so wouldn’t read into that.

I watched him at Claremont in the game here vs WA. He won the ball on the inside and the outside. 8 clearances to go with 416m gained. Worth a watch if you want him in a nutshell.

He’s a 70m transition player with penetration and accuracy. Just needs to learn when to take it on and when not to.

Cool, thanks!
Guess I'm just fearful of some Elliot Kavanagh type operator, without great reason.

Cool, thanks!
Guess I'm just fearful of some Elliot Kavanagh type operator, without great reason.
👍 Watch the U18 champs games which are available online. They’ll give you an idea of which players step up at the next level and which don’t whilst also giving a good overall picture of the likely draft cohort. Not an exact science but the players that do step up in the champs I think are more likely to transition into AFL. Travaglia and Lindsay were putting up good numbers and performances at CTL level but both were also very good at the champs, which along with positional need is why I rate them at the front of the block if players they are generally associated with in terms of ability. It’s also one of the reasons (amongst others) I’m not overly keen on the Whitlocks although some of the conditions weren’t easy for the talls.

I'd be happy with that. Both look like they can play to me
Same. People acting like a ginbey clone is a bad thing, even tho in reality these comparisons are typically lazy and aren't reality. What I like about Bo is that he has high upside.. I'm not sure the ceiling of other fan favs around here is as such. And a guy who leaves it all out on the ground is always welcome.

And in regards to ginbey l'm still pretty high on him personally. His floor is still above average imo and his ceiling is still huge. Hoping 2025 he works out where he belongs on the food chain, because if he does, watch out.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. The 2024 Draft (Nov 20/21)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back