Expansion The 28 Northern Territorians on AFL lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 24, 2006
Wimmera
AFL Club
Collingwood
The 27 Northern Territorians on AFL lists.

Complete list of 27 Northern Territorians on AFL lists (using SoO rules - i.e. not where players were born, but where they lived from aged 12-17). This doesn't include the ones with the GC. Although there seems a lot from Darwin, some of these come from the bush e.g. the Tiwi Islands or Bathurst Island (prime recruiting grounds for St Marys FC). This was my main source - http://www.aflnt.com.au/index.php?id=48 However, the Freo player is actually from the Kimberley region of WA,

1. Ternt Hentchel, Adelaide, Palmerston (Darwin)

2. Andrew McLeod, Adelaide, Darwin

3. Jared Brennan, Brisbane, Southern Districts (Darwin)

4. Xavier Clarke, Brisbane, St Marys (Darwin)

5. Joe Anderson, Carlton, Darwin

6. Anthony Corrie, Collingwood, Nightcliff (Darwin)

7. Alwyn Davey, Essendon, Palmerston (Darwin)

8. Anthony Long, Essendon, St Marys (Darwin)

9. Nathan Djerrkura, Geelong, Wanderers (Darwin)

10. Steven Motlop, Geelong, Wanderers (Darwin)

11. Brad Ottens, Geelong, Katherine.

12. Matthew Stokes, Geelong, Palmerston (Darwin)

13. Cyril Rioli, Hawthorn, St Marys (Darwin)

14. Cameron Stokes, Hawthorn, Darwin

15. Shaun Burgoyne, Hawthorn, St Marys (Darwin)

16. Aaron Davey, Melbourne, Palmerston (Darwin)

17. Liam Jurrah, Melbourne, Yuenduma (Tanami Desert)

18. Austin Wonaeamirri, Melbourne, St Marys (Darwin)

19 Matt Campbell, North Melb, Pioneers, Alice Springs

20. Tom Logan, Port Adelaide, Waratahs (Darwin)

21. Marlon Motlop, Port Adelaide, Wanderers (Darwin)

22. Daniel Motlop, Port Adelaide, Wanderers (Darwin)

23. Troy Tayor, Richmond, South Alice Springs

24. Richard Tambling, Richmond, Southern Districts (Darwin)

25. Relton Roberts, Richmond, Ngukurr (near Katherine)

26 Raphael Clarke, St Kilda, St Marys (Darwin)

27. Shane Thorne, Western Bulldogs, Wanderers (Darwin)

Shaun Burgoyne is South Australian (Mallee Park FC, Port Lincoln). Peter is Territorian - albeit having played for SA in the final state-based Origin game.

Shaun Burgoyne is South Australian (Mallee Park FC, Port Lincoln). Peter is Territorian - albeit having played for SA in the final state-based Origin game.
Yes, you are right. I knew (from a similar debate last year) that one was from SA, the other from the NT - but couldn't remember which. In the end, I was misled by this - http://www.aflnt.com.au/index.php?id=48, which wrongly claims him. He is deleted thus.

Ottens is from SA.
Hmmmm. I know he played in the SANFL before the AFL, but he was born in Darwin and named in the NT team of the century - http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/NTToC_forwards.htm

He grew up in Katherine.

Shaun Burgoyne out makes it tougher.

B : Joe Anderson, Jared Brennan, Tom Logan
HB: Andrew McLeod, Raphael Clarke, Xavier Clarke
C : Anthony Corrie, Cyril Rioli, Nathan Djerrkura
HF: Alwyn Davey, Trent Hentschel, Matthew Stokes
F : Liam Jurrah, Daniel Motlop, Austin Wonaeamirri
R : Brad Ottens, Richard Tambling, Aaron Davey

Int: Matt Campbell, Troy Taylor, Relton Roberts, Cameron Stokes

Chronic lack of key position players and height in general in this side, but we have seen in the past, this can be overcome with speed and athleticism.

Matt Burgan claimed Paddy Ryder for the NT as well. Played there from age 10-16.
http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=208&newsId=44779

I'd be throwing him to CHB.

Edit: Strike that. He definitely has Ottens playing for SA under Origin rules so Ottens out, Ryder into the ruck.

Matt Burgan claimed Paddy Ryder for the NT as well. Played there from age 10-16.
http://www.afl.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=208&newsId=44779

I'd be throwing him to CHB.

Edit: Strike that. He definitely has Ottens playing for SA under Origin rules so Ottens out, Ryder into the ruck.

Ottens grew up in Katherine south of Darwin. Must have moved away for schooling or something at somestage. Think he may have lived on a station or something near Katherine.

Peter Burgoyne spent more time in Darwin than Shaun as a kid but Shaun was actually born in Darwin. Family moved south when they were younger but Peter returned and played all his junior footy with St Mary's. Played His first senior Game for St Mary's and is now a Premiership player for saints.

Ok, I get the recognition credit bit.
As a former Darwinian myself, I don't get the meaning of this thread.
Are you PK making a case for NT to be included in any future SOO deliberations. If so they'd have to be in against QLD,NSW,ACT only.

BTW, excited as I am that NT THunder are in QAFL, still haven't organised myself enough to see them play live. :eek:

Thanx PK for detailing the current list. Be interesting to see the longer list of past VFL/AFL players from NT. A few famous names there! Maybe put it on a new thread so the ol'timers can go down memory lane a bit. Met Maurice Rioli before I left.

Ottens grew up in Katherine south of Darwin. Must have moved away for schooling or something at somestage. Think he may have lived on a station or something near Katherine.

Peter Burgoyne spent more time in Darwin than Shaun as a kid but Shaun was actually born in Darwin. Family moved south when they were younger but Peter returned and played all his junior footy with St Mary's. Played His first senior Game for St Mary's and is now a Premiership player for saints.

SOO eligibility has nothing to do with where you originate, despite the name. It is all about where you played your first competition football. There is an age criteria in there though I think.

Burgan should have a fair idea I would imagine. Ryder - NT, Ottens - SA, despite neither being born there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok, I get the recognition credit bit..
Thank God for that.
...As a former Darwinian myself, I don't get the meaning of this thread...
Come and see the real thing, come and see the real thing, come and see. ...
... Are you PK making a case for NT to be included in any future SOO deliberations. If so they'd have to be in against QLD,NSW,ACT only. ...
You've left Tasmania off the map. NSW/ACT are combined.
The thread can also be used to discuss the development of our game in the N.T. in general (just like the NSW, Qld and Tassie list threads).
... Thanx PK for detailing the current list. Be interesting to see the longer list of past VFL/AFL players from NT. A few famous names there! Maybe put it on a new thread so the ol'timers can go down memory lane a bit. Met Maurice Rioli before I left.
You may like this link - the NT team of the century - http://www.fullpointsfooty.net/NT Team of the Century B.htm
SOO eligibility has nothing to do with where you originate, despite the name. It is all about where you played your first competition football. There is an age criteria in there though I think.

Burgan should have a fair idea I would imagine. Ryder - NT, Ottens - SA, despite neither being born there.
SoO rules are basically where your home was from age 12-17 (if at a boarding school, the actual family home address is used). That's the criteria I use.
Ottens grew up in the NT, at Catherine. Didn't move to SA. until he left school. He still identifies himself as of NT origin.
As for Paddy Ryder? :confused: He grew up in Geraldton, WA, before moving to Perth to play in the WAFL. No NT connection at all.

BTW, Hoops is right - the NT easily has more AFL listed players per captia than any other state.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=328463

"The eligibility rule for State of Origin football adopted by the AFL Commission in 1993 provides for a player to be tied to the state of territory in which he resided for the majority of time between the ages of 10 and 17."

p.369, AFL '99: The official statistical history of the AFL

You've got to forgive us Territorians, where a proud bunch!

Once a Territorian always a Territorian! Even if a footy ruling says different.

Found a reference to Ryder having played junior footy with Rovers in an WA U18 squad listing . There is a Rovers in the NT playing out of Alice Springs, but there was also a Daryl Ryder there so Burgan could have assumed. Also found references to Ryder being a trouble kid living in Geraldton at 14 and Neesham taking him to Clontarf and getting him to go back to school. Can't do that and play for Rovers from age 10-16.

Found a reference to Ryder having played junior footy with Rovers in an WA U18 squad listing . There is a Rovers in the NT playing out of Alice Springs, but there was also a Daryl Ryder there so Burgan could have assumed. ...
Burgan must have assumed - and got it wrong. Paddy Ryder never lived or played in Alice Springs, but he did play for this Rovers club ... in Geraldton WA -http://www.australianrulesfootball.com.au/pages/GeraldtonRoversFC

He played all his junior footy in WA. There is no NT connection at all.
... Also found references to Ryder being a trouble kid living in Geraldton at 14 and Neesham taking him to Clontarf and getting him to go back to school. Can't do that and play for Rovers from age 10-16.
Unless, of course, it was the Geraldton Rovers (which it was). The rest, about 'Ryder being a troubled kid living in Geraldton at 14 and Neesham taking him to Clontarf and getting him to go back to school', is all correct.

Cyril could technically qualiy for Victoria if the rules were modernised.

As he spent a fair portion of his time at Scotch.

Remove this Banner Ad

Expansion The 28 Northern Territorians on AFL lists.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back