Star Wars The Acolyte

Remove this Banner Ad

So he was just randomly bringing up her past, something he'd have already discussed with Osha while training her, for shits and giggles? The entire premise of the episode was the Sith corrupting Osha and the Jedi redeeming Mae. It's there in the title.

Just a coincidence that once the tracker sniffs her out, confronts her and escapes, that that is when Sol stuns her.

Light hearted side plot for no real reason.

I thought that Sol not killing Qmir was one of the few plot points that actually makes sense in a Star Wars show. He shouldn't have killed him defensively.

Osha whipping out a lightsaber and not killing him for no reason was lame though. It like.. she either shouldn't have been mad enough and not done it at all, or she should have just killed him. Doing the whole "don't make me do it" thing is so played out and boring.

Like many classic stories, Star Wars has a history of allowing evil characters to redeem themselves. It can work well dramatically if after their redemption they succumb to an heroic death - like Darth Vader. Obi-Wan not killing Reva was possibly consistent with Jedi ethics but given the amount of slaughter she had done you wonder if life imprisonment might have been an option. But anyhoo she redeemed herself.

Qimir has just killed a squad of Jedis and is likely to kill more. No redemption happening. It was like Sol didn't kill Qimir because the plot needed him to live.

Just a coincidence that once the tracker sniffs her out, confronts her and escapes, that that is when Sol stuns her.

Light hearted side plot for no real reason.

He stunned her right after they were sitting having a chat. So he's just realised who she is but carries on acting the same way he has until she tries to communicate?

I never got the sense Sol was aware. It seemed to be a plot device for Bazil to have some time in the spotlight. Regardless if he knew or not, I just found that entire thing unnecessary and an injudicious usage of finite running time.

The rodent and whether Sol knew Osha was really Mae is an irrelevance.

What was the whole point of the twins swapping thing? It was a flimsy plot device so that Sol and Mae could have a very slow yet still mystery conversation. And so that Osha and Qimir could get together.

Why didn't Mae kill Sol when she had the chance?
Why did Mae leave her twin sister on a planet with a mass murderer and giant bugs?

A bigger question is that Qimir seems to want to be left alone by the Jedi to do his thing but in the vastness of the galaxy, he goes out of his way to engage with them.

What was the whole point of the twins swapping thing? It was a flimsy plot device so that Sol and Mae could have a very slow yet still mystery conversation. And so that Osha and Qimir could get together.

Why did Mae leave her twin sister on a planet with a mass murderer and giant bugs?

A bigger question is that Qimir seems to want to be left alone by the Jedi to do his thing but in the vastness of the galaxy, he goes out of his way to engage with them.
He went out of his way to recover Mae.

This whole show is a great example of poor writing / story-telling. Even tho I enjoy watching the show / SW, it's very clear it's been of a low standard (bar the cinematography imo).

I never got the sense Sol was aware. It seemed to be a plot device for Bazil to have some time in the spotlight. Regardless if he knew or not, I just found that entire thing unnecessary and an injudicious usage of finite running time.
We'll have to wait until the Book of Bazil comes out.

I think Sol was distracted by his own grief and guilt(?) at the beginning of the episode but somewhere along the way realised it was Mae. Maybe he realised when he begins talking to her about the past - perhaps trying to get his message across while he has her in a place she will listen. Then when the power comes back online he stuns her because he plans to rescue Osha and confront The Stranger and does not want to waste anymore time.

I think the Baz and Pip adventures are to keep things a little lighter in a fairly heavy episode (after all, this is Star Wars, yes?). It also serves as more of a red herring to maintain the illusion that Sol is not aware of the situation. At the end of the day I don’t think Sol understands Baz anyway.

I also think more will come of Baz. I may be misreading the way he slinks off after Sol stuns Mae but he seems very disturbed when it happens. Though it may also be that he realises his covert spy-ops weren’t necessary. Sol was on top of Mae’s deception all along.

I will admit though it is a little confusing what exactly was happening. Hopefully we may get further context in the next few episodes but not really a deal breaker in the grand scheme of things IMO.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Great point raised around the circles this week, Disney has come out and said multiple times that they're not here for "objectification" in Star Wars and Disney fans have told us for years how terrrrrible Slave Bikini Leia is. Yet, despite Disney's "no objectification" point, we have a show dripping in objectification for our MALE characters. Qimir thirst trap however is fine, as is dreadlock boy from earlier in the season. I of course have no issue with 'objectification' and think it is an important part of art and life, but its just never ceases to amaze how hypocritical KK and her cabal of other awful untalented 'force is female' types - i.e Headland. Classic.

Lol, I was writing this while watching Nerdrotic's Episode 6 review and he played Disney's audio description (for blind audiences) of the swimming scene and it literally reads like a Faery Smut book.

I’d absolutely LOVE them to do this. That would be balls to the wall, 70’s era George Lucas Star Wars.

Or, you know, just pretty standard TV fair haha. Arrogance to have a cliffhanger ahead of season two..

Why not?

Arrogance??
Yes it would be arrogant, you have a show that has drawn out a 2 hour story into 5-6 hours with awful narrative pacing the entire time and you want to try and leave a cliff hanger for another season... for a cliffhanger to be good you actually have to be invested and swept up in the story before hand. Which I don't think anyone is.

Yes it would be arrogant, you have a show that has drawn out a 2 hour story into 5-6 hours with awful narrative pacing the entire time and you want to try and leave a cliff hanger for another season... for a cliffhanger to be good you actually have to be invested and swept up in the story before hand. Which I don't think anyone is.

Lol ok.

This whole show is a great example of poor writing / story-telling. Even tho I enjoy watching the show / SW, it's very clear it's been of a low standard (bar the cinematography imo).

It’s always fair to criticize something that is entirely subjective however let’s not pretend that what Lucas himself created was infallible and without flaws. Even the OT.

George wasn’t a perfect writer, George wasn’t the perfect director but what he understood was that he told HIS story the way HE wanted to. That’s what makes George’s films unique.

To me, Lucasfilm are really leaning into this philosophy. Pretty much everything, particularly post Solo, for good or bad, has been the creation of its creator. JJ has made JJ movies, Rian made a Rian movie, Favreau and Filoni make Favreau and Filoni shows, Gilroy is making a Gilroy series, and now Headland has created a Headland show. They’re not bound by a stale studio template like the MCU.

To me that’s true to the vision and values of Lucas, not quibbling about little issues with pacing or storytelling. That’s not to say you can’t be critical of them or downright dislike their vision, but you can’t deny they’re all different, they’re all unique, and they’re all told the way they want to tell them. It’s something I’ve really valued about this new era of Star Wars storytelling.

Last edited:
I was writing this while watching Nerdrotic's Episode 6 review.
There’s your first problem. Going to an obvious and admitted bad faith grifter for objective opinion about a thing he declared he hated a year ago. Dude. If you’re truly trying to engage with Star Wars and this show in particular, stop going to sites that have a declared and vested interest in tearing it down.

Second issue is that Qimir’s swim and getting undressed (which lets face it, was pretty tame) had everything to do with the story. It revealed his scarred back and progressed his entrapment and influence of Osha building sexual tension between them as he tries to bring her to his pov. It’s an essential part of the story development. Leia’s slave outfit was basically just eye candy for 12 year old boys to get excited about. It didn’t help progress the story. There were no underlying themes other than Leia was powerless - which could have been shown in numerous other ways.

Or, you know, just pretty standard TV fair haha. Arrogance to have a cliffhanger ahead of season two..

I mean I’d love them to do it ESPECIALLY if there were no season 2. I’d love them to drop a hint and some clues about the darker master, that it could be a character we’ve met, but never reveal who it actually is. Fans would lose their shit but it would also keep them guessing forever. Kind of like how The Sopranos ended.

Last edited:
It’s always fair to criticize something that is entirely subjective however let’s not pretend that what Lucas himself created was infallible and without flaws. Even the OT.

George wasn’t a perfect writer, George wasn’t the perfect director but what he understood was that he told HIS story the way HE wanted to. That’s what makes George’s films unique.

To me, Lucasfilm are really leaning into this philosophy. Pretty much everything, particularly post Solo, for good or bad, has been the creation of its creator. JJ has made JJ movies, Rian made a Rian movie, Favreau and Filoni make Favreau and Filoni shows, Gilroy is making a Gilroy series, and now Headland has created a Headland show. They’re not bound by a stale studio template like the MCU.

To me that’s true to the vision and values of Lucas, not quibbling about little issues with pacing or storytelling. That’s not to say you can’t be critical of them or downright dislike their vision, but you can’t deny they’re all different, they’re all unique, and they’re all told the way they want to tell them. It’s something I’ve really valued about tis new era of Star Wars storytelling.
Agree with this for the most part but a trilogy should be by the same writer IMO. That’s where they screwed up in the beginning.

Ironically, Kennedy gets blamed but it was Iger’s fault. She wanted to give Arndt more time which is exactly what he needed. Still, I think Rian was going to do VIII no matter what when Arndt should’ve done all three.

Agree with this for the most part but a trilogy should be by the same writer IMO. That’s where they screwed up in the beginning.

Ironically, Kennedy gets blamed but it was Iger’s fault. She wanted to give Arndt more time which is exactly what he needed. Still, I think Rian was going to do VIII no matter what when Arndt should’ve done all three.

I agree. There should have been more of a structure for exactly what they wanted the sequel trilogy to say and how it should be told. Still have your different directors but putting their own spin on a predetermined story outline. Oh well. It is what it is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back