Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd love to know if anyone actually cares about Goodes speaking out on racial issues. I feel people boo because of the on field stuff (diving/dog acts/stirring up crowd with war dances) but the media are driving this angle about the 13 year old girl and the Australian of the Year.

I listen to talk back, read on here and it seems the same. People allways bring up the on field. Call me ignorant and excuse me for not reading 300 odd pages, but I'd be surprised if people are upset about what Adam says off the field. Sure he's a media whore but I doubt many care or have been that upset with his comments to want to boo him.

The media have been relentless with this angle saying the booing started then. Did it really? Goodes was booed for diving against Hawthorn and Robbo called EVERYONE a racist. That's when it started. Throw in the war dance the next week and it's snowballed from there.

It's awful what the end result is for Adam, but I feel it was his own actions that landed him here.

Again, what about every other player indigenous and non indigenous that has been boo'd, you ever see them carry on like this?

No one has ever been booed like this ....this circle work is tiring.

If you felt legitimately threatened or upset by that then I don't know what to tell you. Also, he was booed mercilessly by Hawthorn fans the week before that happened, so your timeline is wrong.

I have not been at a game for a while but I could understand the symbolism of why some would be irate into a rage of fury.

For some its even a fight for respect and survival with people facing threats from others trying to get a job an other matters.

I do not think the elite have a clue of the melting pot simmering at ground level where the rubber hits the road not to mention WA versus Sydney aspect.

For example WA could easily leave the federation such is the bias to Sydney in the past 50 years.

Plus you have Cola and a distant hierachy in Melbourne.

Seriously if some do not see a powder keg brewing in general society they are aloof.

It is hard not to identify Goodes actions as not being elitist IMO.

For example who else, apart from Jetta, would dare to advance and provoke the crowd?

I am sure Jacko would probably not have done that!

Youngsters in Greece near 50% can't get a job apparently or near to, wake up!!

Last edited:

Ironic you saying anyone who finds the booing distasteful is a "sheep" while defending the complete herd mentality that leads to the booing. And seriously, look at that list of people: Bolt, Jones, Warne, Akermanis, Devine... if I were on the same side of an argument as them I'd near neck myself.

Yet the other side of it is completely fine because it suits your rhetoric? You have successfully swallowed the AFL and Media line

I'd love to know if anyone actually cares about Goodes speaking out on racial issues. I feel people boo because of the on field stuff (diving/dog acts/stirring up crowd with war dances) but the media are driving this angle about the 13 year old girl and the Australian of the Year.

I listen to talk back, read on here and it seems the same. People allways bring up the on field. Call me ignorant and excuse me for not reading 300 odd pages, but I'd be surprised if people are upset about what Adam says off the field. Sure he's a media whore but I doubt many care or have been that upset with his comments to want to boo him.

The media have been relentless with this angle saying the booing started then. Did it really? Goodes was booed for diving against Hawthorn and Robbo called EVERYONE a racist. That's when it started. Throw in the war dance the next week and it's snowballed from there.

It's awful what the end result is for Adam, but I feel it was his own actions that landed him here.
Yeah I'd say this would be true for about 99%

The booing is Australia wide and its just ridiculous for one person and I think Goodes is a bonafide ripping bloke.

Its different when Anfield crowd boos Fernando Torres.. this is Australia wide and its embarrassing.

That is even more laughable than people thinking boo-ing has anything to do with racism.
Why is it that no player in the history of the game has been booed to the extent that Goodes has?
Why does he get booed more than thugs who are guilty of multiple assault charges? (e.g. Toby Greene, Taylor Adams)
Why does he get booed more than players who have been accused of sexual assault (Milne, Montagna)
Why does he get booed more than players who have faced *injunction*?
Why does he get booed more than far dirtier footballers?
Why does he get booed more than players who play for free kicks more?
Why does he get booed more than the indigenous players of yesteryear who also got booed for their beliefs?
Why does he get booed more than known ped users?
Why is it that Adam Goodes gets booed more than anyone in the history of our game?
Can you explain it?

Yet the other side of it is completely fine because it suits your rhetoric? You have successfully swallowed the AFL and Media line

I don't really follow the media. I've posted extensively in this thread, feel free to check some posts: I've comprehensively covered why I think this is going on and I do hold the media and AFL to account (outright saying "If you do this you are racist" could only cause a petulant reaction) but I also think that when someone is clearly struggling and there are numerous reasons to ease up, it is very easy for people to show restraint and not boo him. At this point, after this week, if people continue with it, they're selfish at best, petulant children, maybe, or, in some cases, genuinely racist.

i would actually, I invite any media reading this to make it happen :thumbsu:

My conscious in this is 100% clear, I boo him for his actions on the football ground alone.

Nope

NQHKSVE.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why is it that no player in the history of the game has been booed to the extent that Goodes has?
Why does he get booed more than thugs who are guilty of multiple assault charges? (e.g. Toby Greene, Taylor Adams)
Why does he get booed more than players who have been accused of sexual assault (Milne, Montagna)
Why does he get booed more than the indigenous players of yesteryear who also got booed for their beliefs?
Why is it that Adam Goodes gets booed more than anyone in the history of our game?
Can you explain it?

There is a lot of reference to "more" in there and it is irrelevant

Again, what about every other player indigenous and non indigenous that has been boo'd, you ever see them carry on like this?

No because they all keep quiet. And I can see why , look what happens when one of them speaks up. They get mis quoted and mis represented. They get called un australian and divisive despite an eloquent and balanced Ad speech. Then all of a sudden the mob grows and believes everything that a redneck like bolt prints. The irony is your calling out everyone who is supporting Goodes a sheep. Perhaps we have actually looked at the evidence and are able to appreciate someone who has the guts to stand up for his community. That takes courage. Keeping quiet would have been a lot easier. Look at the price he is paying now.

Can you explain it?

Who has ever advanced on the crowd aggressively doing a war dance?

I think Goodes under estimated how desperate some are in the crowd and what they are prepared to do.

For some Australia is no longer the lucky country.

I don't think it is wise for a well off player to push it to be honest IMO.

He hasn't dived for 90% of his career. He is 35, of course he is going to find a free kick here because he lacks the athleticism and speed. There are plenty of players that have milked free kicks, and I don't think supposed 'diving' is a fair enough excuse for what's happening right now.

Good on you Aker for calling out this flog for what he is : A perpetual victim in any situation that does not suit him.

You know you are struggling when the people in your camp are such intellectual heavyweights as Sam Newman, Jason Akermanis and Dermott Brereton.

I thought Dermott offered up one of the more interesting angles this week when he suggested that Goodes should reflect on his own conduct and whether it has contributed to the crowd reaction. I don't think he was referring to Goodes being outspoken on indigenous issues or pointing out racist abuse from the crowd but rather the way he plays the game.

People ask why Ballantyne, Boomer, Lindsay Thomas and Stevie J don't get systematically booed. All those players have had their turn being pilloried in the media and by the tribunal system for various indiscretions. They have developed a sense of self-awareness about their actions on the field and how they are perceived by fans. Boomer probably realises most non-Norf fans regard him as a campaigner but doesn't give a s*** because his job is to get his team across the line.

Goodes on the other hand has been an AFL and media darling for so long that he likely regards himself as statesman of the game, and therefore can't contemplate that anyone might have cause to direct insults or vent their frustration at him from the crowd for any reason. Booing must therefore have some sinister racist element at its heart and the media consensus has unfortunately come to the same conclusion.

The booing should stop , but it should stop because one man doesn't deserve to be made a symbol and sacrificed over debates about our rights as fans to express ourselves, or anger at the AFL and the media, or whether we are nation of racists. We've turned Adam Goodes into a lightning rod or rallying point and maybe we all just need to ease up and give him a chance to get back to kicking the footy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back