The AFL is a monster!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, the people of China and the US will be glued to the screens. same with Russians. And across the Middle East they'll be riveted. The Brazilians also are champing at the bit.

Union is very much a minority sport even in the countries where it is 'big'.

NZ is the only country on Earth where union is the number one footy code.

Union's a monster sport when compared to Aussie Rules I guess.

Storm have been playing games a stone's throw fro me for years and it doesn't bother me one bit. I don't go to see them, but I don't see them a 'threat'. FFS.

Because they aren't a threat. AFL Is clearly the #1 sport in Australia and most people know it. Rugby League doesn't have the direction, funding or entertainment level to threaten AFL.

However when FIFA was rumoured to be getting into bed with Australia in that brief world cup time a lot of AFL supporters started to worry. FIFA has too much money to blanket australia with soccer crap even though it's an inferior sport to watch and play.

It boggles my mind that real Australians don't want to stand up for our own products, especially when they are the best in the world.

Union's a monster sport when compared to Aussie Rules I guess.

I lived in a number of countries where rugby is 'big' including Ireland, France and the UK.

In my experience, people will watch the internationals and that's it.

The level of interest in club rugby like the Heineken Cup etc as compared to the Premier League, SPL etc is minimal. Similarly, Cork v Kerry or Ireland vs Spain (soccer) is far bigger than rugby.

I really do not care that Aussie Rules lacks an international presence. I really don't.

In fact, I think it shows a deep level of insecurity by rugby types that they keep having to point down the road and say 'Look! Those kids like my toy too!'

Hilariously, as I write this I'm watching The Footy Show. They just had a thing with Izzy Folau talking about his adjustment to footy.

And now in the handball section, they've got Allen Christensen and some bloke called Billy Slater that I'm assured a big wheel down at the rugby crackerjack factory having a competition.

Obviously Slater will be throwing the ball while Christensen employs the handball.

(Though they did just show his try he scored the other night and it was quite nice)

Haha I see that the moron El-Diablo is quoting posts on this thread onto the corresponding thread on LU. Seriously I have heard some complete and utter bullshit in my life, but the crap that comes out of NRL articles/LU is just amazing. I wouldn't put it up to the idiots at LU to know what 1+1 equals.

What don't they get? They think that there IS a war going on, the AFL has repeatedly said it only wants a slice of the pie in WS, if it wanted to kill Rugby League then they would have said that, I'd rather believe the AFL than idiots on LU or Daily Terrorgraph. Rugby League is such a good sport, too bad most of its supporter base are complete idiots who never open their eyes to other sports.

As I speak a Storm player (Slater) is with Christensen on the AFL footy show, and the panel are talking about Storm and their coming fixture. Yeah, there is only one sport in Melbourne :rolleyes:

LOL.

In the competition where Christensen and Slater both had five handballs and five rugby tosses/throws/whatever, Christensen took it easily. He even got two tens in the ugby bit and Slater didn't get one.

This from a kid in his first year against one of the GREATS (internationally even!) of rugby league.

Just demonstrates how much higher the skill level of the average Aussie Rules player is.

What Gus and all of these paranoid rugby diehards are failing to see is they are competing with a superior product.
Nah, i think it is the exact opposite, hence the hoo-ha. Deep down, in the back of their minds, THEY KNOW their game is inferior. If they thought otherwise, they would not worry about other codes expansion into heartland markets, much like, Melbourne & Perthites in recent times.

Playing LU bingo, I just came across this gem:

Now, I have no doubt that footy isn't liked in Newcastle. It is a backward place reliant on sunset industries and has long bred the kind of person only capable of understanding a sport where big men run at each other and throw the ball short distances. Anything else would be way too complex.

But really, I couldn't get give two tugs what they do up there.

I fail to see why the rugby types get so het up about GWS.

Storm have been playing games a stone's throw fro me for years and it doesn't bother me one bit. I don't go to see them, but I don't see them a 'threat'.

FFS.

I think this it the thugby league excuse that I get the MOST amusement out of: 'Me and all my mates absolutely HATE gayfl. I don't know one single person who likes it, so it'll NEVER take hold here.' Pure comedy gold...

:D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They do laugh at the aussie numbers yes :) pee in their ocean.

Good for them.

I'd hate to be so insecure in my sport I had to desperately seek the approval of others.

Why can't rugby people just be happy with their (well, the English) sport?

What don't they get? They think that there IS a war going on, the AFL has repeatedly said it only wants a slice of the pie in WS, if it wanted to kill Rugby League then they would have said that, I'd rather believe the AFL than idiots on LU or Daily Terrorgraph. Rugby League is such a good sport, too bad most of its supporter base are complete idiots who never open their eyes to other sports.

There is a war, but the war isn't to kill NRL or vice versa. It's a war to become the only sustainable first tier league in Australia.

NRL or Rugby League will always exist, it will just be on a much smaller scale than those fans are used to. If AFL folded, the VFL would still exist and Victorians would go back to watching it like they did 30 years ago. West Australians back to WAFL, South Australians back to SANFL, etc NRL fans are the same.

It's a battle to be sustainable at the current levels of expenditure, and only one of AFL or NRL can be there. Most people would place bets on the AFL being the sport which becomes that.

I think this it the thugby league excuse that I get the MOST amusement out of: 'Me and all my mates absolutely HATE gayfl. I don't know one single person who likes it, so it'll NEVER take hold here.' Pure comedy gold...

:D

Yeah, me and all my mates were talking about how much we hate GayAFL as we sat around in shorts and singlets admiring each other's tattoos and watching other large men rub up and down against each other in big piles on TV.

Nothing homoerotic about that. Just as in the same way there's nothing gay about wanting to serve on a submarine.

What Gus and all of these paranoid rugby diehards are failing to see is they are competing with a superior product.
Nah, i think it is the exact opposite, hence the hoo-ha. Deep down, in the back of their minds, THEY KNOW their game is inferior. If they thought otherwise, they would not worry about other codes expansion into heartland markets, much like, Melbourne & Perthites in recent times.
Most rugby go-ers in Perth are of the mind-set - Rather see 1 quality Stevie Wonder concert than 12 Lady Gaga's :thumbsu: (Last nights Ess v Syd an exceptionally great game.)

Good for them.

I'd hate to be so insecure in my sport I had to desperately seek the approval of others.

Why can't rugby people just be happy with their (well, the English) sport?
That's the problem with the attitude of many in the RL world towards the establishment of GWS.

They view it as an invasion, an intrusion, a war or a potential takeover. They resent the fact that another sport is trying gain a foothold in "their territory".

Whereas if they had the slightest degree of confidence in their own product, they would at best welcome the GWS challenge or at worst be ambivalent towards it.

The problem is, as you said, they don't. They are both insecure and paranoid when it comes to their view of RL.

Just like how you morons don't know the difference between AFL and Aussie rules

It is one of the masterstrokes of marketing though. I have friends who have come over to live eher from Ireland and NZ and they've got right into footy (not rugby league strangely, in fact my Kiwi mates despises it).

But they instinctively call the game AFL, where I will always use footy and employ AFL when describing the league or its governing body.

Yeah, me and all my mates were talking about how much we hate GayAFL as we sat around in shorts and singlets admiring each other's tattoos and watching other large men rub up and down against each other in big piles on TV.

Nothing homoerotic about that. Just as in the same way there's nothing gay about wanting to serve on a submarine.

The bloke who wrote that is probably actually a pretty smart character, underneath the thugby league bravado bullshit, and is sending his son to play football instead of league because he knows this is a WAY better professional decision for the long term future of his son. It's just that he's probably copping a whole heap of shit from his league loving bogan mates for letting his son play that pussy fumbleball gayfl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back