The AFL is a monster!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the more humourous articles I've ever read from the 'code wars' genre.

Loved the line about how the AFL "strategically cut Penrith off from the rest of the Sydney NRL Clubs".

Very, very humourous indeed.

It's scary how obsessed these guys are with AFL...signatures designed purely to attack the game, a sub forum dedicated to bagging out any event that occurs. I don't understand how they can harbour so much hatred and waste time on a sport they don't like. Seem to spend more time bagging out the AFL than they do talking about their own game.

It reminds me of dockerland:)

we dont. Why would you say we do? Its NSW media and head in the sand NRL types who keep chanting "its WAR!!".

Storm, Rebels, Heart & Victory all came into AFL heartland without even the slightest murmouring of "invasion" or "take over". The reverse is not true, is it?

100% agree.
90% of animosity from AFL supporters is toward the simian NRL supporters and media who have to rely on cries of "WAR" and pleas to the semi literate that AFL is for ****s and idiots.

Very unfair of them at LU to lump us West Aussies in as Victorians I reckon.

Anyway, I find it rather amusing reading at LU. People getting so worked up about protecting their sport. But when you think about it, what sport you follow is really just an accident of where you born and what you grew up with - not really something you have any control over yourself.

The funny thing is when they call football the 'southern code'. You know Perth is further North than Sydney you dimwits???

The funny thing is when they call football the 'southern code'. You know Perth is further North than Sydney you dimwits???

I wouldn't put it past them to have passed year 8, let alone year 8 geography. Of course they resort to comebacks like 'GAYFL' whenever you prove them wrong with stats, ah but that's LU for you

NSW and Qld give a sh#t about this crap sport. No one else in the country gives a f##k. National rugby league what a laugh nothing national about it. No chance of successful expansion had to cheat to stay in a non traditional stomping ground i.e. Melbourne. Perth and Adelaide could have a pitiful boutique basket case team in each city heavily bankrolled by the league itself. This will not change they don't want AFL we don't want rugby. We will support unsustainable expansion teams they can't even afford them. Let their NSW QLD circle jerk continue.

Sydney Swans, Brisbane Lions, GWS and GCS all say hello and thanks for the Salary Cap bonuses, bonus draft picks, etc.

I dont think LU represents the average RL fan,they are more apathetic than that. Most dont think AFL is of any threat or mostly dont think a great deal about AFL at all. I reckon Gould is trying to give them a shake and stir the pot. Dont forget he was a master coach and won a premiership with Penrith by convincing them,.they were down trodden and the world was against them.....RL was born out of and have a long history of fighting tyranny. It would not be a stretch to have AFL seen as cashed up corporate types out of the Gordon Gecko mould especially after the Falou Hunt debacle. Im sure he would not be unhappy if these types of threads were all over the internet and the more mud slinging the better.

Sydney Swans, Brisbane Lions, GWS and GCS all say hello and thanks for the Salary Cap bonuses, bonus draft picks, etc.
It's not cheating if it's within the rules - whether or not you like the rules is irrelevant.

LOL tens of thousands!

That's being a bit generous. Only 6 thousand N(lol)RL fans attended the only match in Sydney last night! :eek: :D

If you're after a laugh, pop on the crowd thread and go back through some of the crowds that have been called 'good' or 'great' ... Funny (though amazing) . There are some crowds they are proud of that the A League and the NBL would be ashamed to have :p

It's not cheating if it's within the rules - whether or not you like the rules is irrelevant.

It actually reduces the credibility of the competition MORE if the league itself rewrites the rules to gift certain teams advantages, as opposed to a "rogue" team cheating.

Suppose the AFL announced next season to help GWS and GCS, every goal they scored would be worth 7 points instead of 6 (and let's be honest, if any sporting organisation in the world has the audacity to try something this blatant, it's the AFL, and if any group of fans are docile enough to accept it, it's most AFL fans).
Would you still be saying "Oh thats in the rules, so it's okay"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It actually reduces the credibility of the competition MORE if the league itself rewrites the rules to gift certain teams advantages, as opposed to a "rogue" team cheating.

Suppose the AFL announced next season to help GWS and GCS, every goal they scored would be worth 7 points instead of 6 (and let's be honest, if any sporting organisation in the world has the audacity to try something this blatant, it's the AFL, and if any group of fans are docile enough to accept it, it's most AFL fans).

Well lets face it, next year GSW goals will have to be worth 12 for them to have a chance, to win a few games.

The AFL is giving them as good a chance of building as they can.

You cannot "park the bus" across goal, like in soccer, you are going to be found out, in such a high scoring offensive game.

Buffalo Rules on LU writes:

There is some idiot bagging out Billy Slater because he couldnt fist the ball as well as some AFL player in some contest on Victard TV....

Like him or not, Slater is one of the best athletes of any sport running around the country, and certainly is superior to any athlete playing kick & giggle..

The hilarious bit is that in that competition, when it came to the rugby passes, the AFL player nailed two through the centre target and Slater couldn't even get one.

At his own game. Not one. He actually looked a decent handball though. Perhaps the first stage of ANOTHER rugby league 'star' coming over to the more athletic, more interesting, genuinely Australian game?

LOL.

Best athlete. Ha.

(Seems like a nice enough bloke though - Billy Slater that is)

The blatant aggression on LU does really drive home the threat mentality they have.

Don't worry, AFL won't and can't kill RL. The die-hards will always be die-hards and that is that. AFL wants a piece of the Western Sydney pie, and are putting a ton of resources into getting it (despite it being a high risk adventure, while they have many other locations much better suited to expansion esp Tassie).

Personally I'd much prefer us to be devoting these sort of resources to overseas programs. I like the idea of spreading the game to new audiences and encouraging new talent. This may be a side-effect of my greater interests (International Affairs and Relations) but I think the real way forward for the game is to lay some groundwork into foreign countries.

Just last week, GWS coach Kevin Sheedy signed a personalised letter to 5000 primary school children in the area who are enrolled in the AFL's Auskick program.

The AFL's offensive includes a free junior membership to the Junior Giants fan club, complete with a birthday card and free entry into a Giants game this year.

There is also contact with GWS players, including ex-NRL star Israel Folau.

Gould, who has long been one of the harshest critics of the current NRL administration, has devised a plan to counter the continued threat being presented by the rival code.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...western-invasion/story-e6frexnr-1226091463226

The above signifies the hostile strategy by GWS :rolleyes:, you would think that one of the richest clubs in Australian (Penrith leagues club) who probably have hundreds of millions of dollars of assets and money, cold counter this 'hostile threat' by doing their own mailout. :rolleyes::D

The NRL is a running joke, does anyone reckon they could manage a mailout ;):D

A Brad Fiddler is going to become King of the Kids?

Wow.

Ah no I was talking about the dual books and massive salary cap breaches that allowed them to keep a massively talented group together for years. And no we are not going to change the game rules but yes as with any expansion side in non traditional areas massive draft and salary cap advantages. Storm just cheated.

any product needs a 'position' in the market...
AFL has clearly taken the title of the game they play in Australia,
Then there is "The World Game" while the game they play in Heaven has a much smaller but still global following.

I cant help but thinking that the game they play in North East Australia and North East England is in big trouble. While it will always exist, the 3 other codes all seem to have a far greater reason for being than NRL.

Buffalo Rules on LU writes:

The hilarious bit is that in that competition, when it came to the rugby passes, the AFL player nailed two through the centre target and Slater couldn't even get one.

At his own game. Not one. He actually looked a decent handball though. Perhaps the first stage of ANOTHER rugby league 'star' coming over to the more athletic, more interesting, genuinely Australian game?

LOL.

Best athlete. Ha.

(Seems like a nice enough bloke though - Billy Slater that is)

haha, never thought I'd see an online debate on played out on different websites. BigFooty eagerly awaits the LU response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back