The arrogance and balls of one Nathan Buckley

Remove this Banner Ad

It might look that way but it would be a logical fallacy because there's no guarantee that Malthouse would win a third premiership in a row. In fact, historically, it's very hard to do a three-peat. If they don't win a third flag (assuming they actually win a 2nd this year), it could be just as much due to the players being less hungry or being complacent. That could easily happen under Malthouse too - he's not the messiah, you know. He's a damn good coach, but we shouldn't be assuming that he can perform miracles. Buckley's performance needs to be judged on various factors, not just comparison with Malthouse. The Pies will have to come down at some stage.

... or a new man in charge may shake things up enough to prevent complacency. Look what's happened at Geelong this year. After a few years at the top (plus with many top-age players), the pundits generally predicted the Cats would fall back to the pack this year. A new coach and they are purring again!

It might look that way but it would be a logical fallacy because there's no guarantee that Malthouse would win a third premiership in a row. In fact, historically, it's very hard to do a three-peat. If they don't win a third flag (assuming they actually win a 2nd this year), it could be just as much due to the players being less hungry or being complacent. That could easily happen under Malthouse too - he's not the messiah, you know. He's a damn good coach, but we shouldn't be assuming that he can perform miracles. Buckley's performance needs to be judged on various factors, not just comparison with Malthouse. The Pies will have to come down at some stage.
FINALLY words of common sense! Many BFers are saying that the back to back is far from in the bag - TRUE! Yet in the same breath are insinuating that replacing Mick with BUCKS will cost us a 3peat. :D

IF Mick gets us to back to backs it will be a sensational coaching effort but expecting a 3peat in today's draft evening footy climate is the same as believing in Santa Claus - it MAY happen, the players are there to make it a POSSIBILITY but COME ON it's a 25% chance AT BEST.

Bucks has served a full and comprehensive apprenticeship under the best coach in the biz and will do well, Mick has ALREADY been at the over a decade and even some of the most devoted players will be becoming a little jaded with the same message and philosophy. Change is not always a bad thing so bring it on, nothing is forever.

Although Buckley won't be as good a coach as Malthouse, I can't see Collingwood not winning in 2012, especially if they win this year, unless something drastic happens.

Been Discussed a lot of late about Malthouses options and his perspective etc, but IMO something that hasnt been adequatey covered is the arrogance of Buckley. He is in effect saying "although the current coach is an all time great and legend of the game, and is in fact coaching better than ever and will most likely have just coached back to back flags, I think I'm better. I Nathan Buckley am a better option for collIngwood than this immortal of The game. If he doesn't believe he is a better coach, what a selfish freak, basically telling Collingwood and all their supporters, "we may have the most amazing list in the afl, a list capable of winning 5 flags, but my own personal ambition overidea any sense I have of Wanting to see cOllingwood win as many lags as possible. Surely this list deserves the best coach available. That ain't Buckley.

So either (a) he is deluded enough to think he is a better coach than Mick.
(b) he knows he's not but doesn't care, or think that this amazoniat of players deserve he absolute best chance at 3peating/winning record breaking premierships.

Wouldnl
Rubbish thread.
I cant see how a Geelong or Collingwood supporter would be looking any further than the next 8 weeks when your teams are so far ahead of the rest. I personally couldnt give a stuff about next year at the moment.

... or a new man in charge may shake things up enough to prevent complacency. Look what's happened at Geelong this year. After a few years at the top (plus with many top-age players), the pundits generally predicted the Cats would fall back to the pack this year. A new coach and they are purring again!

Absolutely. The handover may be happening at exactly the right moment.

Another idiotic thread based on completely made up assumptions. Buckley has not said, is not saying and will not say one single bit of what the OP claims - either directly, indirectly or by impiction.

At the time the deal was struck MM was probably lucky to have kept his job and Buckley was afforded a quality apprenticeship. As it transpired Collingwood's list management, player development and training regime has been awesome and afforded a coach who couldn't win a flag in a decade the opportunity to show how good he is with a quality list.

After that a lot is up in the air but if Collingwood win the flag in 2011 then how can anyone possibly claim the deal has been anything but a remarkable and success. Whatever happens in 2013 I don't think 2010 and 2011 can be assumed to have been what would have transpired had the same deal not been done. Even if Collingwood do not win the 2011 flag, the arrangement has worked.

i am happy to see buckley takeover. Collingwood have the best list and best coach. Buckley maybe a good coach or he maybe not. At least the opportunity of the latter opens the door to bring Collingwood back to the field

i am happy to see buckley takeover. Collingwood have the best list and best coach. Buckley maybe a good coach or he maybe not. At least the opportunity of the latter opens the door to bring Collingwood back to the field
Why in gods name doesn't anybody listen to Leigh Matthews?

Hasn't he won enough flags as a player and coach?

He states 80% of a premiership is the list!

Head coach, asst coaches, sports science, recovery, development etc etc is 20%

I could coach that team to flag.. a monkey could have coached Geelong to flags

it's the LIST :rolleyes:

Absolutely. The handover may be happening at exactly the right moment.

I agree.

The usual way to change a coach is to wait until things go to s**t, then clean out the club and start over again and build to another flag tilt in a few years. Collingwood are trying to avoid the "going to s**t" and "long rebuild" parts of the equation.

Geelong have kind of acheived the same thing this year, albeit not by intention. Old coach departs leaving talented list, brings fresh approach, tweaks the game plan, keeps side in contention whilst bringing in new players.

It may not work perfectly for Collingwood but I'm actually glad that they are trying something different to stay on top instead of waiting for inevitable decline. Anyway, as MarkT2 says repeatedly (with good reason) the arrangement has already brought 1 flag with a good chance of a 2nd in just 2 years. It has already worked as well as anything the Pies have tried in the last 50 years.

IF Mick gets us to back to backs it will be a sensational coaching effort but expecting a 3peat in today's draft evening footy climate is the same as believing in Santa Claus - it MAY happen, the players are there to make it a POSSIBILITY but COME ON it's a 25% chance AT BEST.

You realise you just stated that Santa Claus existing is a 25% chance? :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree.

The usual way to change a coach is to wait until things go to s**t, then clean out the club and start over again and build to another flag tilt in a few years. Collingwood are trying to avoid the "going to s**t" and "long rebuild" parts of the equation.

Geelong have kind of acheived the same thing this year, albeit not by intention. Old coach departs leaving talented list, brings fresh approach, tweaks the game plan, keeps side in contention whilst bringing in new players.

It may not work perfectly for Collingwood but I'm actually glad that they are trying something different to stay on top instead of waiting for inevitable decline. Anyway, as MarkT2 says repeatedly (with good reason) the arrangement has already brought 1 flag with a good chance of a 2nd in just 2 years. It has already worked as well as anything the Pies have tried in the last 50 years.

You realise you just stated that Santa Claus existing is a 25% chance? :D

I think the main difference is the respective ages of the lists. Collingwood may not even have hit their prime yet.

People fail to realise the circumstances in which this arrangement came to. At the time, Mick's future was very much up in the air, and Buckley was being courted by North Melbourne. Knowing he was ambitious to coach, Eddie orchestrated the move that would ensure Buckley become Mick's successor, rather than coach of North Melbourne.

The irony is beautiful.

North sign Buckley to deal in early 90s.

Buckley reneges on deal to "win flags" at Collingwood.

Misses chance to win two (minimum) flags at North as player. Wins none at Collingwood.

North approach Buckley to coach.

Buckley agrees in principle but then reneges to coach Collingwood.

North instead get Collingwood assistant Brad Scott who is impressing everyone in the industry with what he is doing at North.

Buckley watches as great team wins one - probably two - flags under Malthouse.

Club and list start to splinter as result of Buckley deal.

In 2012, Buckley will take over side that can only deteriorate.

And they say there's no justice in footy.

Why in gods name doesn't anybody listen to Leigh Matthews?

Hasn't he won enough flags as a player and coach?

He states 80% of a premiership is the list, coach, asst coaches, sports science, recovery, development etc etc is 20%

I could coach that team to flag.. a monkey could have coached Geelong to flags

it's the LIST :rolleyes:

Not being a smart arse but can you punctuate that sentence a bit better? I can't work out what is the 80% and what is the 20%.

Don't underestimate the influence of the coach's personality in the mix. One thing that Thompson, Malthouse and Matthews all had that Buckley doesn't? Ultimate success as players/coaches before their most recent successes and all tough uncompromising players.

Malthouse has gotten to where he is now after almost 30 years of continuous coaching. With all of that experience you'd think he'd had his routine nice and refined now to cope with most challenges thrown at him.

Buckley isn't taking over a list of young rookies where he has to stamp himself on them, they're already purring along.

Collingwood people tell me if I'm wrong but from reports, as a player, Buckley was very single minded and inflexible when getting the best out of himself and didn't look favourably on team mates who weren't of the same mindset. If that was the case it may take him time, whether that be in a season or over numerous seasons, to perhaps mellow to a certain degree or work out how things work best for his particular personality and coaching skill set.

A monkey couldn't have put Geelong's or Collingwood's lists together and then developed it and made an environment conducive to winning premierships.

Matthew Hayden made 380 odd against Zimbabwe and eveyrone wrote it off saying it was 'only against Zimbabwe'. If it was that easy everyone would set a new record everytime they played a test against them.

I think the main difference is the respective ages of the lists. Collingwood may not even have hit their prime yet.
I think you hit a nail dead center there lol

I didn't believe we were up to beating your guys until about 1/2 way through last year - thought we were still on the build for a red hot go this year. I actually believe we were a year ahead of schedule, with some young guys coming on a fair bit quicker than expected.

Not being a smart arse but can you punctuate that sentence a bit better? I can't work out what is the 80% and what is the 20%.

Don't underestimate the influence of the coach's personality in the mix. One thing that Thompson, Malthouse and Matthews all had that Buckley doesn't? Ultimate success as players/coaches before their most recent successes and all tough uncompromising players.

Malthouse has gotten to where he is now after almost 30 years of continuous coaching. With all of that experience you'd think he'd had his routine nice and refined now to cope with most challenges thrown at him.

Buckley isn't taking over a list of young rookies where he has to stamp himself on them, they're already purring along.

Collingwood people tell me if I'm wrong but from reports, as a player, Buckley was very single minded and inflexible when getting the best out of himself and didn't look favourably on team mates who weren't of the same mindset. If that was the case it may take him time, whether that be in a season or over numerous seasons, to perhaps mellow to a certain degree or work out how things work best for his particular personality and coaching skill set.

A monkey couldn't have put Geelong's or Collingwood's lists together and then developed it and made an environment conducive to winning premierships.

Matthew Hayden made 380 odd against Zimbabwe and eveyrone wrote it off saying it was 'only against Zimbabwe'. If it was that easy everyone would set a new record everytime they played a test against them.
Buckley is certainly a perfectionists perfectionist but he has mellowed quite a bit from all reports coming out of the club. Both have their adherents and favorites which is human nature but Buckley has spent a lot of time learning humility under Mick. Hopefully he has mellowed enough to do justice to Mick, the list and himself.

LOL @ Collingwood flogs ignoring a good point

Can someone explain to me what Buckley gains out of this situation? If he fails he looks stupid, if he succeeds Malthouse is going to get credit for giving him a armchair ride into the top job

If he steps aside and Buckley says ill wait a year or two what does he lose? The job is still there when he wants it, its just going to be there for him with less pressure on his shoulders to perform.

Now that we've dealt with Nathan's arrogance lets address those balls
I dunno about his coaching abilities yet, however I think his balls are working quite nicely ;)

Based on the current Collingwood playing list, here's what the Magpies might look like in 2016, excluding anyone who'll be over 30 by then:

B: Alan Toovey - Nathan J. Brown - Tyson Goldsack
HB: Harry O'Brien - Ben Reid - Simon Buckley
C: Steele Sidebottom - Sharrod Wellingham - Dayne Beams
HF: Brent Macaffer - Travis Cloke - Alexander Fasolo
F: Daniel Farmer - Chris Dawes - Jarryd Blair
R: John Ceglar - Scott Pendlebury - Dale Thomas
I: John McCarthy - Luke Rounds - Tom Young - Jarrod Witts

14 Premiership players there ;) Other Premiership heroes like Alan Didak, Nick Maxwell, Dane Swan, Luke Ball and Heath Shaw could all realistically still be playing in five years too.

There's a lot of premiership players on Hawthorn's list too, they haven't won a final since.

This is hardly Buckley's fault, from the outside it appears that all he wants to do is to coach. Eddie is the one who pushed for this deal and to stick Malthouse in the back, blame Eddie, not Buckley.

Although Buckley probably made an error in judgement by turning down the North job, just for the sake of his own development of getting out of the Collingwood environment. He could have spent several years at North learning the trade and then if he really wanted to go back to the pies.

But it's hardly Buckley's fault that this has happened.

Remove this Banner Ad

The arrogance and balls of one Nathan Buckley

Remove this Banner Ad

Back